Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First hunt with the 15" Coiltek coil

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First hunt with the 15" Coiltek coil
March 14, 2021 09:53PM
I took the Coilek out for the first time this morning to the spot at the lake I've been hunting for the last 14 months. I will say, I was a little concerned because of the first couple of reviews about the coil. I had to remind myself that soil conditions, settings, modes and time on the machine decide how well a coil will perform, not test gardens, no offense to anyone.

I set the Nox up as follows.....

Park 1

Recovery speed - 3

Iron Bias F2-0

GB-0, I did a manual GB and it GB'd at 4, so I decided to run it at 0

Sen. 23, EMI isn't factor out here until I get closer to the main entrance.

2-Tones

Tone break set at -2 , no disc

Iron tone set at 3, volume at 3 as well.

I have bursitis, so I hooked up my bungy, I use Doc's Swingy Thingy and started swinging away. I started hitting the usual stuff, pull tabs, bottle caps, etc. I focused on the low conductive numbers just to see if the 15" coil would hit the small stuff like the 11" coil. After the first 2 hours I was pretty satisfied with the coils ability to hit some pretty small stuff, on par with 11"

The soil here is very mild, I'm not so sure it would perform as well with the small stuff if the soil was pretty hot, but here, it nailed some smaller targets with no problem. All the items in the picture came in at 10 or below. The target that sealed the deal for me was the brass bead, the one on the stud of the earring, about the size of a BB. It was hitting small pieces of foil in the 1-2 VDI range with no problem.

Both of the earrings hit at 10, about 3" deep. It will hit coins on edge with no problem, I dug 2 zinc's standing straight up and down.

The numbers appear to match the 11", I didn't see any noticeable difference between either coil's IDing.

I will be taking the coil to an old park tomorrow that I was able to hit some 8-9" wheats and silver with the CTX and the Nox with the 11" coil, last year. I quit hitting the spot when the finds completely dried up. EMI is an issue because I'm surrounded by power lines on 2 sides, I will post my finds, or lack of, tomorrow evening.

I've used Coiltek coils on the Explorer and Etrac and was satisfied with the performance, that's why I jumped on board as fast as I did. If you have a question about the coil, let me know, I'll try to answer it.

Re: First hunt with the 15" Coiltek coil
March 15, 2021 01:02AM
Did you try the ML15 on the same targets before digging for comparison?
March 15, 2021 01:05AM
ghound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you try the ML15 on the same targets before di
> gging for comparison?

I don't own the ML 15", but, I have used the ML15 quite a bit hunting relics in New Mexico. I know that it will hit some mighty small stuff and I'm sure it would have hit the same targets. I was glad to see the Coiltek hit the smaller targets that I was digging with the 11"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2021 01:16AM by Dan(NM).
March 15, 2021 01:27AM
It would be interesting if you can get your hands on a ML15 to cross check deep targets in your mild soil.
March 15, 2021 02:04AM
ghound Wrote:
> It would be interesting if you can get your hands
> on a ML15 to cross check deep targets in your mild
> soil

I agree, unfortunately I don't another Equinox hunter close by, which is a good thing for me smiling smiley
March 15, 2021 11:07AM
When you guys talk about ‘small’ stuff, are you talking about dime size, or really tiny BB or less than dime size?

I hear the term small stuff and ‘large items’ so much it seems like I should know. On the beach, I would not mind missing tiny targets.

I think I read on this forum most detectors now use a US dine as the typical calibration target for size and depth.

thanks all
March 15, 2021 11:56AM
In my case it's cut coins, like a dime size cut in 2 or 4 with an ID between 5-10.
I know it go's against the norm that big coils aren't sensitive to small targets, but the Nox+ML15 coil is actually excellent at it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2021 11:59AM by ghound.
March 15, 2021 01:27PM
...Dan ... will be interested in following your further detection reports with the new 15" COILTEK coil on the Equinox as well as the EMI resistance of this coil...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2021 01:39PM by EL NINO.
March 15, 2021 07:43PM
ghound Wrote:
> In my case it's cut coins, like a dime size cut i
> n 2 or 4 with an ID between 5-10.
> I know it go's against the norm that big coils are
> n't sensitive to small targets, but the Nox+ML15 c
> oil is actually excellent at it.
>
>
>

THANKS GHOUND!
March 15, 2021 07:44PM
ghound Wrote:
> In my case it's cut coins, like a dime size cut i
> n 2 or 4 with an ID between 5-10.
> I know it go's against the norm that big coils are
> n't sensitive to small targets, but the Nox+ML15 c
> oil is actually excellent at iI

THANKS Ghound!
March 18, 2021 02:06AM
Sounds like a solid buy there Dan. I’m going to pick one up later in April when my 800 gets here. It sounds like it’ll help me to cover ground AND get the depth on smaller coins in these larger parks. It looks like they used the body of the first gen WOT for the FBS machines! Pretty cool stuff...
March 18, 2021 10:41AM
Dan(NM)

Tone break set at -2 , no disc

Dan thanks for the review and replies.

Curious about your tone break setting of “Tone break set at -2 , no disc” , are some targets at -1 and 0 targets you want to find? I never thought about doing this.

Regards
March 18, 2021 12:04PM
FloridaSon Wrote:
>
Dan(NM)
>
> Tone break set at -2 , no disc
>
>
>
> Dan thanks for the review and replies.
>
> Curious about your tone break setting of “Tone bre
> ak set at -2 , no disc” , are some targets at -1 a
> nd 0 targets you want to find? I never thought abo
> ut doing this.
>
> Regards

I have found several small gold pendants and junk chains that hit at 1, I will only set the break that low when I'm in a gold jewelry producing spot. It gets tiring after several hours of digging stuff so small, usually bits and pieces of foil, aluminum and fish hooks.
March 18, 2021 06:37PM
Thanks Dan, makes sense in those sites. Appreciate it.
cjc
March 25, 2021 10:55PM
I think that a faster rec speed would be more suitable to let the machine process the bigger chunk of ground. as you've said this coil is a case in point for signal balancing--waiting for one too.

cjc
March 26, 2021 01:27AM
cjc Wrote:
> I think that a faster rec speed would be more suit
> able to let the machine process the bigger chunk o
> f ground. as you've said this coil is a case in p
> oint for signal balancing--waiting for one too.
>
> cjc

Looking forward to your take. The wait is painful.