Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Explorer 2 repair parts

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Explorer 2 repair parts
March 26, 2021 11:09AM
I have an EX 2 that I'm trying to revive and need a source for the correct size header pin block. Does anyone know where I can get the correct size and shape of the 10 pin header. I tried calling the Minelab repair center but the tech couldn't help me out, thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2021 11:11AM by Dan(NM).
Re: Explorer 2 repair parts
March 26, 2021 01:50PM
Here's an example of the part from UK-based distributor RS Electronics:
[uk.rs-online.com]
You would be wanting to purchase from Mouser or Digikey or some other US distributor, though Farnell group are also present in the US.
Key features needed to find them are: PCB header; machined pins; gold plated ; 0.1" pitch.
They are commonly made in longer strips like 32-way, and then cut down, so don't just search for 10-pin. But minimum order quantities are likely to hamper your search.

I could probably find some among the spare stuff at my work, but the international postage etc makes it less practical.

There's always direct-from-China stuff on eBay:
[www.ebay.co.uk]

[www.ebay.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2021 02:09PM by Pimento.
March 26, 2021 03:36PM
Thank you Pimento, I purchased some breakaways off of eBay but they are here too big. The spacing is correct but the ones in the Explorer are round these appear to be square. I ordered a digital micrometer so I can get the exact size of the pin that I need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2021 01:21AM by Dan(NM).
March 26, 2021 10:27PM
The RS page has links to the datasheet, where the pin diameters are shown:
0.64mm ( soldered to the PCB )
0.46mm ( inserted into the mating socket )
These seem pretty much standard for machined pin type.

Ebay sellers may provide detailed data if you ask them.