Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher ID Edge

Posted by JeffNS 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher ID Edge
July 27, 2011 02:29PM
Hi Tom. I just purchased a Fisher ID Edge...bascially brand spaking new...never used in the field for $325 ($314 Cdn. hehe) Warranty card never completed so I'm in hopes I may be able to take advantage of the Lifetime Warranty too.

Thought it would be a good back-up/spare detector. Been swingin' my CZ3D for about a year now. I had to buy a second detector so I would have something to use when I send my CZ3D down to be calibrated and hopefully certified by you. smiling smiley

I know you're biased towards the CZ's and the fact that the CZ Id's targets at depth more accurately (in your Florida soil at least) but do you think the ID Edge is a decent detector for the price? Do you perform any calibration services to the ID Edge? I don't think this will require any but just thought I'd ask just the same.

Anybody else that has experience with the ID Edge...chime in. Interested to hear any advise and/or opinions.

Hope to have the ID Edge in the next 7-10 working days so when I get it I'll get mine CZ down to ya...finally.

Cheers.
Re: Fisher ID Edge
July 27, 2011 05:35PM
Lets just say can't compare a Caddy and a Chevy..

Didn't like the tinny audio or the depth of an Edge but for neighborhood parks it will do the job.
July 27, 2011 07:03PM
True...........It's not a CZ; yet, it performs fairly well. And for THAT price (with lifetime warranty card) .... you did quite well.
July 28, 2011 12:22AM
yeah! i was gonna go after it for that attractive price,but then thought it over,and realized
that IF it was such a good unit,first texas would have continued it upon the purchase of "los banos"
fisher.that said,i believe "los banos" was on the right track with this detector,but had other plans namely the
f-series which are superior products,along with the fact that had they continued the edge in production,
it possibly would "draw" sales from the cz-3d,and could have possibly caused "redundancy" in other products!
as a 'back up" probably ok! as a "main" detector? no!..also have some concerns that first texas would "honor"
the warranty even with a "blank" card,since the detector's serial number has been out there for a while,and
they would be aware of that!..there were some issues raised at one time about the 'tactile" touch pads failing,
and this also caused some concern! one thing for sure is that the original "best" money $560.00 (about 20%)
discount was all you could get off it at the time,was way too high for this detector,and may have contributed
to it's downfall!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
July 28, 2011 12:34AM
I think the only way the warranty would be honored was if it was a brand new unit & was purchased from a authorized dealer for that particular unit. First Texas is real adament about the above criteria for warranty.
July 28, 2011 08:34AM
I didn't purchase this machine because I thought it would be on par with the CZ3D...I purchased it is as a backup detector plain and simple. Was simply curious as to whether Tom thought it was a decent unit for the price. He answered my question. Curious how many of you have actually logged any real time hours on the ID Edge. There are some great reviews by some people who have actually used them in the field. In any case, I'm going to put it through it's paces and I'm sure it'll perform just fine for my purposes and doubt it will perform very far below the level of the CZ3D EXCEPT in the Salt wet sand where the CZ supposedly shines (although I haven't yet had an opportunity to validate that claim).

As far as the warranty is concerned...yes...technically the warranty is only valid for the original purchaser but that is something that is hard to validate...it has nothing to do with how long that serial number has been floating around. Again...doesn't really matter to me but I sure as heck have a better opportunity of having a Los Banos lifetime warranty machine covered considering I have the blank warranty card...for all they know the unit was won by raffle in which case the original purchaser would likely be completely unknown and the 'winner' (perhaps it was me) may not have the benefit of having been provided a receipt. I'd be willing to bet that Fisher WILL honor the warranty if I ever have occasion to require any repairs. It's just good business.

$560 too much at the time?? Strange considering they seem to holding their value fairly well. Cheapest one I saw sold for $262 on Ebay and it was in a much more USED state than the one I bought. To each their own.

At least now I'll have something to use while my CZ3D is being tweaked by Tom. smiling smiley

Thanks to everybody for their input. Wish me luck.
July 28, 2011 09:58AM
If you can, get the full serial number, then call Fisher and they will look it up and tell you if they will still honor it. I have done this recently on a 3d. They looked it up in the computer and said the lifetime warrantee was good.
July 28, 2011 12:21PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 12:31PM by TerraDigger.
July 28, 2011 12:50PM
Heres my advice send in the warantee and see what happens.

You asked a question and I feel forum members including myself gave you their opinions.

Did you get a nice lightweight unit for a nice price ...sure did and am sure as a backup unit should serve you well.

Honestly if you have used a CZ for any amount of time once you use the Edge you will agree.
July 29, 2011 02:05AM
JeffNS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't purchase this machine because I thought
> it would be on par with the CZ3D...I purchased it
> is as a backup detector plain and simple. Was
> simply curious as to whether Tom thought it was a
> decent unit for the price. He answered my
> question. Curious how many of you have actually
> logged any real time hours on the ID Edge. There
> are some great reviews by some people who have
> actually used them in the field. In any case, I'm
> going to put it through it's paces and I'm sure
> it'll perform just fine for my purposes and doubt
> it will perform very far below the level of the
> CZ3D EXCEPT in the Salt wet sand where the CZ
> supposedly shines (although I haven't yet had an
> opportunity to validate that claim).
>
> As far as the warranty is
> concerned...yes...technically the warranty is only
> valid for the original purchaser but that is
> something that is hard to validate...it has
> nothing to do with how long that serial number has
> been floating around. Again...doesn't really
> matter to me but I sure as heck have a better
> opportunity of having a Los Banos lifetime
> warranty machine covered considering I have the
> blank warranty card...for all they know the unit
> was won by raffle in which case the original
> purchaser would likely be completely unknown and
> the 'winner' (perhaps it was me) may not have the
> benefit of having been provided a receipt. I'd be
> willing to bet that Fisher WILL honor the warranty
> if I ever have occasion to require any repairs.
> It's just good business.
>
> $560 too much at the time?? Strange considering
> they seem to holding their value fairly well.
> Cheapest one I saw sold for $262 on Ebay and it
> was in a much more USED state than the one I
> bought. To each their own.
>
> At least now I'll have something to use while my
> CZ3D is being tweaked by Tom. smiling smiley
>
> Thanks to everybody for their input. Wish me
> luck.

i mention the $560.00 because that's approximately the money on it when purchased new!
since you bought it for $325.00 it is obvious the market has determined it's true value.as a "new"
detector.this was a tempting offer for me,but decided to take a "pass" based on the reasons detailed in my previous post!
you took a gamble with your money,and i truly hope it pays off for you! sometimes, ya gotta "roll the dice" so to speak,
in life,i elected not to THIS time. again!..best of luck,in your most interesting purchase.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
July 29, 2011 06:54AM
There are some "old" Fisher users that still enjoy swinging the Edge and think it is close in performance
to the 1236 in trash...which is saying something.
And the fact it has a meter will make it nice to use.
Can add on a small coil for really trashy areas.
Just because it is an older model doesn't necessarily make it obsolete.
July 29, 2011 08:22AM
i agree!.however i believe the "edge" was an early "evolutionary"
design,and was superseded by the f-75 when first texas bought ''los banos"
fisher! in any event,let's hope he catches a break,and (f.t.) covers the warranty!
repairing anything electronic these days can sometimes be "cost prohibitive!"
just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
I myself am a Big fan of the Edge (Pic enclosed)
July 30, 2011 06:02AM
the Edge is awesome working though dense iron..I believe people comparing it to other fishers and not finding it up to snuff never really fully understood it's abilities.

I personally found it to be a deeep machine....I would not want it for walking the woods and the reason being was it was not hot off the sides of the coil ...it has a very tight footprint it's very deep but it needs to be right dead on top of the target....if the object is over 6-7 inches deep you will miss it unless you are overlapping......

I found it to be a super trash machine pulling stuff behind the top ender's...the 6 inch coil is phenomenal in trash....it does average target's so adjust to that...
If the nails get really dense accept some negative number's like down to say -5 or -8 or so and just dig every hit audio wise...don't worry about the I.D. in the iron I myself have dug lot's and lot's of low conductor's that read in the upper negative number's...it will dig small items too...I dug I think it was 4-5 pocket watch key's with mine in some pretty bad iron....

Some say the audio is weak and it is till you get the right ohm headphone's...try some 8 or 32 ohms the 100 ohm type are about dead on this machine...

Ground balance often I wish it had a ground monitor or a way of telling the g.b number but it does not so it's pretty much trust it for what it offer's....

the big coil 10.5 when ran in all metal will really get down there...I have dug 14 inch minnie balls in that mode in loamy type soil ....

I will always have a spot in my heart for the Edge it netted me my one and only Morgan Silver dollar in an old house site...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You will do fine with it

Keith
Got the Edge yesterday
August 04, 2011 10:51PM
and called Fisher regarding the Lifetime warranty....NO PROBLEM! smiling smiley

My initial observations are:

1) Volume of external speaker is VERY weak. Definitely need your headphones with this one.
2) Good shaft assembly...not wobbly...nice and tight...just like the CZ's.
3) Very light. Could swing it all day. A full pound lighter than the CZ3D.
4) Target isolation in trash/iron infested areas seems very good.
5) Garrett Pro Pointer creates interference (not that it matters as the Pro Pointer is only utilized during target retrieval...just something I've not noticed with other detectors)
6) Foam Grip looks just like the grip on the CZ3D but material is VERY spongy. Would prefer more solid/dense grip. Can easily rectify this issue.

These very BASIC observations are based on a short 30 minute excursion in my back yard where I've tested the following detectors very thoroughly. Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 & CZ3D. Using all three of these detectors in an area measuring 15' x 15' I had isolated and retrieved all repeatable signals. The only signals remaining were iron signals on all three units...not even the hint of a high-tone with the CZ3D. Hunted for 10 minutes with the ID Edge and recovered 7 shallow pennies and a shallow dime amongst the iron and all targets gave a very repeatable high-tone "DIG ME UP" signal. This particular trait leads me to believe it could a great unit to go over previously hunted sites with lot's of trash.

Air tests suggest good depth close but not quite as deep as the CZ3D...which will be coming to Tom for sure before the season is finished...just wanna get a bit more used to the ID Edge before I go CZD-less. smiling smiley

I have not yet performed any review of the accuracy of target ID as I've become accustomed to using the tones on the CZ3D. I suspect I will use the ID occasionally but I don't suspect the machine has the target resolution required to 'cherry pick' silver amongst pennies and such. I'm more of a dig'em all type of hunter anyway.
August 05, 2011 07:32PM
BTW I have a like new (less then 10 hours of use, still has the factory protective cover on the screen) ID Edge for sale.

It comes with everything that came with it in the original box for the paltry price of $275 + shipping (unused user registration/warranty card too) !!
August 05, 2011 09:53PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTW I have a like new (less then 10 hours of use,
> still has the factory protective cover on the
> screen) ID Edge for sale.
>
> It comes with everything that came with it in the
> original box for the paltry price of $275 +
> shipping (unused user registration/warranty card
> too) !!

An even better deal than I got! Somebody will surely scoop that up in short order. Should post it on findmall or dump it on ebay and let the bidding begin.

I took my Edge out for a swing today for 20 minutes and gridded a small corner of a schoolyard myself and a friend have pounded repeatedly over the past year and scored a '59 silver dime amongst a bunch of foil and iron trash. I absolutely HATE the very low volume of the external speaker but with headphones I'm sure it'll be just fine. Definitely a good unit to re-hunt some of those very trashy areas to scoop up the left over bits.

Tip...the warranty card will only be honored if you're able to indicate the dealer name and year purchased...without that they will not honor it. Only reason that I was able to have my warranty honored is because I tracked down the original owner and got the required info. That being said if you look at the warranty card it indicates that failure to complete the warranty card does NOT void the warranty. Better safe than sorry though.