Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"Steve's" Tarsacci 2-piece lower shafts now in production and ready for sale...thumbs down

Posted by steveg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"Steve's" Tarsacci 2-piece lower shafts now in production and ready for sale...thumbs down
June 29, 2021 02:14AM
Hi all!

After a couple of months of "R and D," I have the Tarsacci 2-piece lower shafts now ready for sale.

The shafts use the same carbon-fiber pattern and finish as the stock Tarsacci shaft, so they will match the exsting upper. The stock Tarsacci shaft features a 20 5/8" middle shaft, and 21 1/2" lower rod, and I build mine to these same lengths, as the "standard" offering.

After field test reports, I can confirm that my shaft -- being smaller in diameter than the stock Tarsacci shaft -- presents less "drag" in the water, which would be of some benefit to water hunters.

I can also produce these shafts in longer lengths than standard, for anyone needing a few extra inches of extension potential. While at this time the extra extension potential is limited by the coil cable length (only about 3" extra extension is available due to this limitation), I have spoken with Dimitar (Tarsacci developer/company owner), and he has agreed to offer coils in the future, with 4" extra coil cable length (please contact me for details, if interested). This would permit up to 6 or 7 inches of extra extension length, as compared to the stock shaft.

In addition however, I can customize the lengths of either section (upper or lower) as necessary, for reasons OTHER THAN simply extra extension length. For instance, the tubes I have in stock permit assembly of a lower rod as long as about 31", at this time. Now, while no one would likely need an extra 10" of lower rod extension, there's another option there. For example, the middle shaft section could be built shorter by, say, 6 inches (to around 14" total length), and then correspondingly, the lower rod could be built to roughly 28" in length. This would result in a shaft with the same overall maximum extension length capability as the stock shaft, but where roughly 2/3 of the shaft length is then reduced to only 19.75mm in diameter (the diameter of the lower section). Water drag on such a shaft would be even further reduced, from one built at "stock" lengths, as much larger percentage of the shaft would be at the smaller "lower rod" diameter.

Additionally, my shaft could also be purchased with an extra lower section, for anyone who has both Tarsacci coils and would like an extra lower for the second coil.

The shafts run $89 plus about $10 for USPS Priority shipping; extra lower rods would run $45.

If you are interested, I can be reached at steve@stevesdetectorrods.com.

Thanks all!

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2021 02:15AM by steveg.
cdv
Re: "Steve's" Tarsacci 2-piece lower shafts now in production and ready for sale...thumbs down
June 29, 2021 11:53AM
Steve has done a real nice job on these rods for the
Tarsacci. Well built and it does lower the drag in the water!

Cliff
Re: "Steve's" Tarsacci 2-piece lower shafts now in production and ready for sale...thumbs down
June 29, 2021 12:33PM
Steve....... I just want to confirm: $89 per shaft? Or $89 for a pair of shafts? (Middle & lower).
June 29, 2021 11:56PM
Cliff,

THANKS for the kind words!

NASA-Tom,

The $89 price is for the full two-piece lower shaft assembly (middle and lower rod sections, which connect directly to the Tarsacci upper "S" shaft section).

If anyone wants an extra LOWER section, for a second coil, that would be $45...

Thanks!

Steve
June 30, 2021 02:14AM
Hi Steve......... Ok. You were fairly clear in your post; yet, I seek zero misunderstandings!

I'm still encountering zero flaws with both of the middle/lower rods....... to include the lever-actuated camlocks. Flawless.
June 30, 2021 03:17AM
NASA-Tom,

Understood! Clarity is good!

Glad to hear that the shaft is working flawlessly for you. Thank you!!

Steve
June 30, 2021 09:47AM
I like this shaft. Its thinner than the standard, the lock is excellent, mine came with coil rubbers, and Steve will do a custom. Also the lock isnt glued on so if you wanted an even longer lower shaft the middle can be cut to size and the lock put back on. Cool the way he stretched the middle shaft to fit into the upper and shes snug. Really good fit OD and ID. At fist i was concerned about not having a spring button. The waves, rip currents, and long shore drift can really put some torque on the shaft and in some cases shift the coil causing wear. Last few weeks i tested it pretty good on a low of yellow and red flag days. The shaft makes the machine feel even lighter.... and without a doubt easier to move in the water. The lower fit snugly into the coil.... in fact i had to use a little silicone spray. Once on .... it is TIGHT and seems to stay that way without coil flip out there. No need to crank that bolt and crack those ears. Even a dirt digger will find advantages of having a second lighter shaft..... if you are like me you have both coils so it makes coil swap faster. Dimitar working with Steve on an extra coil length is great for the taller guys and those of us who like a wide swing. I really appreciate Steve doing this. He talked to several of us and im sure it wasnt cheap to do. But he put a lot of thought into it thats obvious.
June 30, 2021 11:15AM
Dew --

THANK YOU for the very kind words, and the great review. I was happy to do the project, and I'm glad you are happy with how yours turned out!

Meanwhile, I'll now be able to use one of them myself, as I have -- just in the last couple of days -- become a Tarsacci MDT8000 owner! Lots to learn; only on page 20 of the 85-page MDT8000 thread here on the forum.. smiling smiley

Steve
July 07, 2021 06:52AM
Hey all!

Just a note to say that now that I've received my MDT8000, I've been doing some additional measuring (weight, etc.) of the stock shaft. One thing I wondered, is how the weight of my smaller-diameter middle and lower shaft sections compare to the stock Tarsacci middle and lower.

Tonight, I built a version of Tarsacci shaft with only a 16" middle shaft section, but 26" lower rod. With these shaft section lengths, the maximum overall extension length of the shaft remains exactly the same as the stock Tarsacci shaft. However, the benefit is that with an even larger portion of the shaft being comprised of the small-diameter lower rod (as compared to building the sections the same lengths as the stock shaft), this configuration would reduce hydrodynamic drag even further. Additionally, this configuration is also about 25% lighter -- shaving 1 1/2 oz. of shaft weight, as compared to the stock Tarsacci two-piece lower shaft assembly. So, with greatly reduced drag, lighter weight, and the elimination of the middle shaft button holes and lower rod spring button (allowing easier/less tedious lower rod adjustment, and installation/removal), I think this configuration should prove quite helpful, for water hunters.

Thanks!

Steve
Steve is "The Shaft Man". thumbs down
July 26, 2021 11:11PM
Tex -- thanks for the endorsement, LOL! It's much appreciated smiling smiley

Steve