Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's up with Ebay?

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What's up with Ebay?
July 03, 2021 11:05AM
All I see are tons of fake Teknetics, Fisher T2, F70's, GoldBug Pro's being sold. Plus all the fake pinpointers.
Ebay has become a paradise for knock-offs.
[www.ebay.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
Re: What's up with Ebay?
July 03, 2021 01:14PM
They lost a lot of smaller sellers not long ago when they demanded access to sellers' bank accounts to be able to sell. I know several long time sellers who dropped off ebay when that happened.

I personally quit on them when they started charging 'tax' on everything. Yes, i know about the new law/agreement, but they demanded a 'tax' on a collectible coin purchase from me even after i explained that my state does not tax the sale of that type of coin. So are they sending that extra money to my state or keeping it themselves?- either way, it will no longer be any of my money. F-ebay.
July 03, 2021 05:27PM
I sold detecting equipment on ebay for almost 10 years, but now that they want my bank info I am done selling on their site. I imagine they have lost a good many sellers for that very reason.
July 03, 2021 06:53PM
Easier for them to get their hand in your pocket that way!
July 03, 2021 08:49PM
I've been selling on eBay on & off for almost 20 years, but when they started requiring direct access to my bank account, that's when I said 'No Thanks.' They wanted routing numbers, all kinds of approvals for letting them directly access my bank account to make deposits, and if you read the fine print withdrawals including to settle disputes. Hell no am I going to allow them to do that.

It was a nice run with eBay, and I even reluctantly stuck with them when they kept raising their fees, but the direct access to pull money out of my bank account as they saw fit, was the final straw.

So yes, I am one of those small sellers they have now lost. I imagine that eBay is losing LOTS of business with their new direct bank account access requirement.
July 03, 2021 09:24PM
With Ebays 13.5 % fees On metal detectors now ……. ebay even charges 13.5 % on your shipping cost you add ………. No way to hide Ebays fees …..lots of fakes on eBay…..need to be careful out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2021 01:36AM by Rob in (ca).
July 03, 2021 10:06PM
Agree or disagree with the bank account info. But it makes transactions more secure. If you are shopping new EBay is not the place to do it. Used? I would try the remaining forums first. Selling? If you use EBay you know the fees going into it.

My EBay account was hacked about two years ago. One morning I had 32 emails telling me in each one I sold them a baby thermometer. Trouble is the money was going to a third world country. Ebay backed me the entire way, and I was never held responsible. I did some things wrong like have the same password for multiple sites. Once they hacked my password off to EBay they went. Plus now my devices are registered. Any new sign in and I get an alert. The online world is a toilet bowl.
July 03, 2021 10:40PM
I’m out too. When they asked for my routing and account number, the relationship was over.
July 04, 2021 12:53AM
I sold up to the list minute of the deadline they gave us to hand over all our bank and tax info. Then decided to cut ties. Didn't like their new scam ....Basically they cut out Paypal so they can scoop of the millions of dollars in interest by holding onto everyone's payments for a number of days.
All about more profits and bonus payments to the top CEO's and shareholders in the company.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
July 04, 2021 10:39AM
I've never had any desire to sell things on Ebay. It's way too complicated, often with less profit.

Craigslist works fine for me. I've sold things to people all over the country. It just requires a little more work maintaining the ads and communicating with clients.
July 06, 2021 11:22AM
My concern is access to my account when a LOT of sellers are overseas. Thats like saying here hacker lets make it easier to get my account. Its difficult enough now days when everything seems to be on line to protect your identity and account info.
July 06, 2021 07:05PM
I sold some land mobile radio equipment on eBay a few weeks ago - my first sale on eBay since the new bank account requirement - that's when I learned of their new policy. eBay is holding my money until I provide them with all my account information.

I just spoke with eBay customer service explaining that I was not willing to provide them all my private bank account information and permission to access my accounts as they saw fit. They informed me that until I provide them with all that information, they are holding my money. I asked for them to mail me a check as I'd be cancelling my eBay account (after 20 years!). They refused and said the only way to get my money is to provide them all my bank account info. Mexican standoff I guess, but they have my money until I comply. I'm going to have to let them keep my money, several hundred dollars, because I sure as hell am not giving them permission to wire money out of my bank account whenever they want, a serious invasion of my privacy and giving up of control of my bank account. So Goodbye eBay!

Anybody using eBay should be well aware of this new bank account requirement and hopefully not get stuck like I did unaware and end up with eBay holding your money hostage.
July 06, 2021 08:20PM
Sounds illegal to me!-----Just who do they think they are taking/holding money that isn't theirs????
July 07, 2021 12:35AM
wayfarer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I sold some land mobile radio equipment on eBay a
> few weeks ago - my first sale on eBay since the ne
> w bank account requirement - that's when I learned
> of their new policy. eBay is holding my money unt
> il I provide them with all my account information.
>
> I just spoke with eBay customer service explaining
> that I was not willing to provide them all my priv
> ate bank account information and permission to acc
> ess my accounts as they saw fit. They informed me
> that until I provide them with all that informatio
> n, they are holding my money. I asked for them to
> mail me a check as I'd be cancelling my eBay accou
> nt (after 20 years!). They refused and said the o
> nly way to get my money is to provide them all my
> bank account info. Mexican standoff I guess, but
> they have my money until I comply. I'm going to h
> ave to let them keep my money, several hundred dol
> lars, because I sure as hell am not giving them pe
> rmission to wire money out of my bank account when
> ever they want, a serious invasion of my privacy a
> nd giving up of control of my bank account. So Go
> odbye eBay!
>
> Anybody using eBay should be well aware of this ne
> w bank account requirement and hopefully not get s
> tuck like I did unaware and end up with eBay holdi
> ng your money hostage.

Well that story is Completely Unbelievable. No One ever gets to talk to a human at ebay! winking smiley

yeah, i agree with filing a lawsuit. maybe local small claims court, serve via registered mail...? theres all kinds of stories like this where the Big Company ignores the court decision until the winner starts seizing their physical assets. read about a guy some years back in the local Houston paper who won a judgement and showed up with an off duty deputy (hired for a couple of hours) to seize one of UPS's trucks. UPS decided they'd cut him a check on the spot for the judgement + his expenses if he released their truck.
July 07, 2021 02:10AM
wayfarer Wrote:
> I sold some land mobile radio equipment on eBay a few weeks ago - my first sale on eBay since
the new bank account requirement - that's when I learned of their new policy. eBay is holding my
money until I provide them with all my account information.
I just spoke with eBay customer service explaining that I was not willing to provide them all my private
bank account information and permission to access my accounts as they saw fit. They informed me
that until I provide them with all that information, they are holding my money. I asked for them to
mail me a check as I'd be cancelling my eBay account (after 20 years!). They refused and said the
only way to get my money is to provide them all my bank account info. Mexican standoff I guess, but
they have my money until I comply. I'm going to have to let them keep my money, several hundred
dollars, because I sure as hell am not giving them permission to wire money out of my bank account
whenever they want, a serious invasion of my privacy and giving up of control of my bank account.
So Goodbye eBay!

Anybody using eBay should be well aware of this new bank account requirement and hopefully not get
stuck like I did unaware and end up with eBay holding your money hostage.

If I were you, I'd open another account with whatever minimum you need to keep in it and give them that number. Once you have your money, remove your money and close your ebay account along with the new bank acct. Good luck getting your money. :thumbsup:
July 07, 2021 04:41AM
Mikey Wrote:
>
> If I were you, I'd open another account with what
> ever minimum you need to keep in it and give them
> that number. Once you have your money, remove you
> r money and close your ebay account along with the
> new bank acct. Good luck getting your money. :t
> humbsup:

Good suggestion. That's my plan. I suppose I could keep that special account open just for eBay as long as I maintain the minimum balance, but what a hassle.

With the history of data breaches that eBay has, no one in their right mind would ever give them the info to their main bank account, but I bet that's what a lot of people are doing. But the main reason is the audacity of eBay that they think they can strong-arm users into handing over the keys to their accounts.
July 07, 2021 05:48AM
I've been buying and selling on eBay since 1996. I mainly buy and sell antique art glass, and eBay could care less if fakes are sold, and many are sold to the uneducated glass collector, so it's a true caveat emptor environment.

Their new managed payment system isn't all that bad once you get used to it. There are checks in play, and you have eBay seller protection. Nobody is handing them the keys to their bank account, it really doesn't work any differently then PayPal did (in theory). Let's not forget that eBay and PayPal were the same company for many years until they split (which was great if you were holding eBay stocks!). Many folks are setting up a bank account just for eBay, not really that much of a hassle, you can set up a bank account online without ever leaving the comfort of your own home, and then transfer the funds from that account to wherever you need it.

Yes they collect taxes, not by their choice, you can thank your local government for that one. Almost all online selling venues are playing tax collector for the states that have implemented online taxes now, doesn't really matter what online venue you use. I don't personally care about that, except that for items that I have a make offer on, it appears that some buyers are factoring the taxes into the equation offering you less to make up for paying taxes, but the real kicker is that eBay not only collects eBay fees on your sale and shipping (which has been the case for many years due to some bad apples screwing everyone else) BUT they are also charging the same percentage of fees on the sales taxes. I call BS on that because it's the same effort on their part to collect taxes on $100 as it is on $1000, so why should they capture a larger reward?

That said, with all the gripes of eBay changes over the years, they are, by far (at least for what I sell) the best venue out there as they capture more traffic then just about anything out there. If you don't like fleabay, you could always try Facebook marketplace.
July 07, 2021 02:15PM
Cal, again, they are trying to collect tax on things that are not taxable. Taxable items vary by state and sometimes even locale as ii am sure you know.

As to Paypal, that is completely different. Paypal is backed by a credit card where you have federal protections re disputes, ebay wants complete access to your bank account. ie, the right to withdraw money directly from you. With Paypal, i have told them more than once that if they didnt listen to me, i would dispute the charges and close the card and they could be left with F-all.
July 07, 2021 06:44PM
Champ Ferguson Wrote:
> Cal, again, they are trying to collect tax on thin
> gs that are not taxable. Taxable items vary by sta
> te and sometimes even locale as ii am sure you kno
> w.
>
> As to Paypal, that is completely different. Paypal
> is backed by a credit card where you have federal
> protections re disputes, ebay wants complete acces
> s to your bank account. ie, the right to withdraw
> money directly from you. With Paypal, i have told
> them more than once that if they didnt listen to m
> e, i would dispute the charges and close the card
> and they could be left with F-all.

I read your post about the tax exempt items. I haven't run into that, and clearly things like that need to be addressed. I'm sure as this is being rolled out there will be glitches, each state has it's own rules, each county and sometimes city could have varying tax rates and tax rules. I'm sure glad that eBay is the tax collector and not me, I sure as hell don't want the headache, do you?

I get the theoretical concerns about eBay managed payments, but I think they're unfounded. I'm on several eBay seller groups on Facebook, and sure people pitched a fit about it when it started (over a year ago now), I wasn't keen about it either as I always liked having my PayPal account as a separate entity from my personal bank account and the protections that it affords, as well as it's just easier to keep track of my sales that way. BUT I've yet to read that anyone has been screwed over.

I had a nasty buyer from Texas that bought a Steuben vase from me on an eBay auction for $99. Not big money here, but she pitched a fit about having to pay taxes. I directed her to her state tax authority as I have zero to do with collecting taxes. She was really nasty about it. So she didn't pay for the item until about five minutes before she would have received a non-payment strike from eBay. Then as soon as she received the item, she opened a return. That meant I had to eat the shipping both ways. Basically her way of protesting and throwing a temper tantrum because she didn't like paying taxes (and we're talking what, a whopping $9 bucks here!) and because of her nonsense I had to eat about $40 in shipping. Ironically after I relisted it, the next time I auctioned it, it went for $175 grinning smiley
July 31, 2021 10:36PM
eBay is a cesspool filled with fakes of all types. If you're not sure how to differentiate fake versus genuine, don't step in the hole.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
August 01, 2021 01:26AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:

>..... I had a nasty buyer from Texas that bought a Steub
> en vase from me on an eBay auction for $99. Not b
> ig money here, but she pitched a fit about having
> to pay taxes. I directed her to her state tax aut
> hority as I have zero to do with collecting taxes.
> She was really nasty about it. So she didn't pay
> for the item until about five minutes before she w
> ould have received a non-payment strike from eBay.
> Then as soon as she received the item, she opened
> a return. That meant I had to eat the shipping bot
> h ways. Basically her way of protesting and throw
> ing a temper tantrum because she didn't like payin
> g taxes (and we're talking what, a whopping $9 buc
> ks here!) and because of her nonsense I had to eat
> about $40 in shipping. Ironically after I reliste
> d it, the next time I auctioned it, it went for $1
> 75 grinning smiley

Now there's some karma/justice right there for sure! Love those happy ending stories. Hope you sent the baytch the link once the item resold just to rub her nose in it. smileys with beer
August 02, 2021 04:57PM
Most commerce based websites are requiring hooks into bank account info these days, including etsy, paypal and reverb.com to name a few.
People have been saying "ebay sucks" for quite some years, this is not something new. People were furious when they stopped letting sellers leave neg feedback for buyers, websites popped up devoted to trashing ebay and telling ban horror stories but it seems nothing ever changes. I used to be a power seller but ended up getting banned, been over 5 years and I never tried to create another account. Its not hard to open a bank account whos sole purpose is ebay, might cost $50 or so, that way they don't have their hooks into your main account.
August 02, 2021 05:25PM
Xray Wrote:
> Most commerce based websites are requiring hooks i
> nto bank account info these days, including etsy,
> paypal and reverb.com to name a few.
> People have been saying "ebay sucks" for quite som
> e years, this is not something new. People were fu
> rious when they stopped letting sellers leave neg
> feedback for buyers, websites popped up devoted to
> trashing ebay and telling ban horror stories but i
> t seems nothing ever changes. I used to be a power
> seller but ended up getting banned, been over 5 ye
> ars and I never tried to create another account. I
> ts not hard to open a bank account whos sole purpo
> se is ebay, might cost $50 or so, that way they do
> n't have their hooks into your main account.

That's what I ended up doing. I went down to my bank and opened a special "eBay" account. Had to put an initial minimum deposit of $500, and I have to maintain a minimum of $500 in that account or else get charged a $20 service fee. I made sure there is no connection between accounts, like any overdraft provisions, that would allow eBay to tap into my main account via the special eBay account.

Now that eBay has cornered the market, they keep tilting things further and further in their favor. Of course it's a free country and I'm free to take my business elsewhere, which I might just do if they keep requiring more and more control and access.

So it's done, I caved, and I'm back on eBay, but not happy one bit about it.
August 03, 2021 01:07PM
Sold my PayPal stock because of their new snooping policies.
August 07, 2021 07:37PM
I sold over $300,000 on ebay my first 10 years but it went downhill fast after that. Too many fees, too many scamming buyers, too little seller protection and now access to my bank account, no thanks. I sold a SunRay probe on their a couple months ago and then they locked me out because I would not link my bank account. Adios eBay!
August 07, 2021 10:40PM
doc -- can you elaborate? I hadn't seen this...

Steve