Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Air metal detectors

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Air metal detectors
July 13, 2021 06:42PM
I see a few have these for testing in the UK, nice to see a new manufacturer in the mix.
Re: Air metal detectors
July 13, 2021 09:20PM
Looks like it requires a smartphone. No thanks. [airmetaldetectors.com]
July 17, 2021 04:23PM
Time will tell, but I can not see how a smartphone could possibly have inner workings for this to work very well.
July 17, 2021 06:58PM
I should have mine soon. Will give it a good testing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2021 11:14PM by texkinzee.
July 18, 2021 05:37PM
James/Texas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Time will tell, but I can not see how a smartphone
> could possibly have inner workings for this to wor
> k very well.

I've said in the past that this idea was long overdue. Any smartphone made in the last five years is going to have far more processing power than even a high end metal detector and almost certainly features a better display, better engineering, and far more user friendliness. What's more, pretty much everyone already has a smart phone. (And if they don't, it's a simple enough thing to buy a used one from Amazon or Ebay for less money than a control box typically costs.) 10 years ago I would have had concerns about latency issues, but that's not a problem today.

That having been said, it's not going to be a good detector unless the hardware and software are adequate, regardless of the phone's processing power. I'd feel a lot better about this if it were coming from a known manufacturer of metal detectors, and not from a Ukrainian kickstarter. I suppose we'll see how it goes.
July 19, 2021 04:42PM
$450 for a coil and shaft makes it as expensive as the XP Deus coil and shaft. I just can't see it performing at the same level as the Deus. JMHO. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. They've had an additional two years to get it right. Wasn't it initially due to ship back in Nov. 2019?
July 19, 2021 11:38PM
Any smart phone will work? I hope it's good.

I assume it can be made waterproof like a Deus/Orx.
July 20, 2021 12:43AM
The coil is thick so it wouldn't be good in the water. The shaft is thin though. I think it's interesting.