Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Like to Have the Old Site Back

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Like to Have the Old Site Back
July 26, 2021 05:44PM
Mike_Hillis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be nice to have a separate classifieds pa
> ge.
>
> Wouldn't mind a separate links only page for those
> guys that feel the need to post links everywhere.

A classifieds page is a great idea because they all fall under the same topic.

A links-only page would be ridiculous because that would require us to direct the reader to the Links page each time we want to share a link. If you don't like the link, don't click on it.

One problem with this site is that when you click a link, it takes you away from the site. I keep forgetting I need to open links in another tab at this forum. I don't think this site has had a single upgrade since its inception. It's so old-fashioned that the quotes still have those arrows along the left side, lol.

Also, I don't like that little message below that declares how many times you have edited your post. Why would anyone need to know this?

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2021 06:43PM by Badger in NH.
July 26, 2021 08:15PM
Been following this forum for about four years and appreciate much of the info found here, especially posts by NASA Tom. Like some of the other posters on this thread, much of the discussions are over my head. However, I keep checking the site and reading, trying to learn more. Occasionally a piece of info will register in my brain and I get the light bulb moment - oh, OOHHHH, "so that's it". I enjoy and appreciate the info in the posts. HH to all.
July 27, 2021 01:46AM
Tom I live about 90 min from the New Jersey beaches. That is on a good day because I have to navigate Philly to get there. I am married to a wonderful woman that since the pandemic began has worked her office job from home. She is how can I say very diligent in keeping me healthy. My trips to the beach with friends and other hunters raises concerns because of this darn disease. My trips with her to our beaches we love raises the same concerns when we start thinking about restaurants and things like that. She and I both have conditions where the risk is just not worth it. New Jersey was hit hard the past year, and we just decided better days are coming. My detectors the Equinoxes 800 and Sovereign GT are being neglected. You want to know how bad it is? I ask people I work with that are taking beach vacations to give me reports on people they see detecting. Every little bit of detecting news helps scratch that itch. Including this forum. Compared to what many many people have gone through because of this pandemic we consider ourselves very lucky and blessed.
July 27, 2021 09:39AM
goodmore Wrote:
> Tom I live about 90 min from the New Jersey beache
> s. That is on a good day because I have to navigat
> e Philly to get there. I am married to a wonderful
> woman that since the pandemic began has worked her
> office job from home. She is how can I say very d
> iligent in keeping me healthy. My trips to the bea
> ch with friends and other hunters raises concerns
> because of this darn disease. My trips with her to
> our beaches we love raises the same concerns when
> we start thinking about restaurants and things lik
> e that. She and I both have conditions where the r
> isk is just not worth it. New Jersey was hit hard
> the past year, and we just decided better days are
> coming. My detectors the Equinoxes 800 and Soverei
> gn GT are being neglected. You want to know how ba
> d it is? I ask people I work with that are taking
> beach vacations to give me reports on people they
> see detecting. Every little bit of detecting news
> helps scratch that itch. Including this forum. Com
> pared to what many many people have gone through b
> ecause of this pandemic we consider ourselves very
> lucky and blessed.

I ask the questions when someone I know heads to Jersey beaches also. Last person was my daughter. She knows to look out for detectorists and fisherman because she knows I will always ask. She went down for a week recently to Stone Harbor and didn't see one detectorist and zero people fishing. I thought that to be very odd.
July 28, 2021 04:46PM
While a seperate Buy / Sell / Trade sub-section would be the best solution, I think it's unlikely to happen, for 'technical' reasons.
So, if we're going to get items listed in the general discussion forum, it would be nice if it was very obvious from the title that it was an item For Sale / Wanted etc. I've clicked on all of these recently:

Minelab Vanquish 440

Fisher Gold Bug 2

RNB 3100 Rechargeable Battery - Minelab FBS

Minelab FBS Accessories

SunRay Stealth X5 5" Coil for Minelab FBS units

...only to curse when I see they're just items for sale, and not discussions about their technical merit, or opinions on how to set them up, etc.
July 28, 2021 06:48PM
Pimento Wrote:
> While a seperate Buy / Sell / Trade sub-section wo
> uld be the best solution, I think it's unlikely to
> happen, for 'technical' reasons.
> So, if we're going to get items listed in the gene
> ral discussion forum, it would be nice if it was [
> b]very obvious[/b] from the title that it was an i
> tem For Sale / Wanted etc. I've clicked on all of
> these recently:
>
> Minelab Vanquish 440
>
> Fisher Gold Bug 2
>
> RNB 3100 Rechargeable Battery - Minelab FBS
>
> Minelab FBS Accessories
>
> SunRay Stealth X5 5" Coil for Minelab FBS units
>
> ...only to curse when I see they're just items for
> sale, and not discussions about their technical me
> rit, or opinions on how to set them up, etc.

I agree. It should be a rule that all posts with items for sale must have the words "For Sale" in the title. Or "Looking to buy" for those who are shopping.
July 29, 2021 12:42AM
Other forums had had success with requiring FS, WTB, or WTT as the first text in the title of transaction threads. Forget to do that and your thread mysteriously goes away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2021 12:43AM by Champ Ferguson.
July 29, 2021 01:55AM
Notice when new detectors come out, the forums come to life……just not any new stuff out lately……..just out swinging my 9 year old CTX, finding cool stuff having fun in the sun.
August 07, 2021 11:10AM
great ideas, Tom, a lot of us just read the forum, I don't sign in much, you guys have far more knowledge, I just like to read, and I miss the old forums too and all the friend, a lot of them are gone, "we are all getting old as the things we are digging", that sounded good, might be my new computer phrase haha
JCR
August 16, 2021 01:57PM
This thread is what prompted me to join this fine forum after being only a guest viewer the last 3+ years. I have learned more real world practical knowledge from the member posts here than I would have ever learned on my own. Thank you to all.

Chris
August 16, 2021 05:16PM
I came to this site many months ago .. looking for who knows what .. what ever it was must have been answered by just reading through old threads as a guest .. I had forgotten that I registered here .. but just last week I was accepted as a member .. I had thought that the site must have been down and/or no longer being used .. I had a FB page for a few years and it helped promote a business I was engaged in .. over a year ago I just walked away from that media and vowed never to return .. I also do not have a smart phone as I like to think for myself and if there is something important that I need to hear, it is much less time consuming to just give me a call .. the tech is great, but look what it's doing to society .. no one really cares that I had a hotdog for lunch at emmi's .. and those who do care surely will tell me I should have gotten the burger.
August 16, 2021 05:44PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I have put a TON of blood (time, labor, effort) into many of my last few years of posts........ and no one seems to be interested. Maybe folks are less interested in technical stuff........ but/rather more interested in photos of finds.....and videos.
>
> Yes..... I'm seeing this forum being used heavily for selling stuff.
>
> I also think folks are having a hard time registering on this forum (including old members). I hardly see any new members // new blood. THAT'S scary!!!

Tom please don't stop posting your technically oriented posts, although I may not comment that often on them, I do read them, even for machines that I do not own as you can always learn something and I'm always interested in learning about the pros/cons of other detectors.

I think the selling uptick is a result of the disposal of The Depot site which used to be somewhat the de facto detector selling site for many.

I'll continue coming here as long as it lasts smileys with beer
August 16, 2021 05:46PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have put a TON of blood (time, labor, effort)
> into many of my last few years of posts........ an
> d no one seems to be interested. Maybe folks are l
> ess interested in technical stuff........ but/rath
> er more interested in photos of finds.....and vide
> os.
> >
> > Yes..... I'm seeing this forum being used heavil
> y for selling stuff.
> >
> > I also think folks are having a hard time regist
> ering on this forum (including old members). I ha
> rdly see any new members // new blood. THAT'S scar
> y!!!
>
> Tom please don't stop posting your technically ori
> ented posts, although I may not comment that often
> on them, I do read them, even for machines that I
> do not own as you can always learn something and I
> 'm always interested in learning about the pros/co
> ns of other detectors.
>
> I think the selling uptick is a result of the disp
> osal of The Depot site which used to be somewhat t
> he de facto detector selling site for many.
>
> I'll continue coming here as long as it lasts smileys with beer

DITTO!
August 16, 2021 09:13PM
I finally registered after finding answers here so many times. Please continue the technical discussions.
August 17, 2021 02:19AM
Wow! New blood!
And .... thanks guys..... for the Kudo's.
Membership seems to have dropped off....... and "Guests" and "Users" numbers/volumes are also quite low. Thought you guys were getting burned-out of TOO much technical data!
JCR
August 17, 2021 02:24AM
I did have a bit of trouble getting registered, Thank you to Tom D & Wally for getting me on.

Chris
August 17, 2021 02:27AM
I fear this "new registering"....... is a far-and-wide issue!
JCR
August 17, 2021 02:44AM
I would have given up on any other site.

Chris
August 17, 2021 02:49AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I fear this "new registering"....... is a far-and-
> wide issue!

It was a PITA. I used the forgotten password link several times a day for a week which resulted in a msg that my "registration was pending and required a moderator" each time.
August 18, 2021 01:14AM
Copy! I'll talk to Wally about this!
August 24, 2021 05:17PM
Most forums these days HAVE to run really strict spam filtering systems. The bad part is that it can make registering and posting a little tougher for "real" people. On the links subject, there may be a way for the forum software to force links to open in new tabs?
March 04, 2022 04:12AM
I've been out of the hobby for 10+ years and I decided to look into it again. This was one of the first sites that I returned to. I'm sorry to say that I found a lot of the other sites that I used to frequent have shut down during the time that I was away from the hobby. Thankfully Tom & Wally have faithfully kept this page up and running.
March 04, 2022 12:28PM
Welcome back........after a Decade!
March 04, 2022 01:17PM
I have a FB page and i use the Iphone. Unfortunately i cant get my phone to work here. Ive change site setting but still a no go. So i have to break out the computer which i rarely use. Down loading photos takes time as well. A lot of people like FB because its their page with their controls. It gives them a place to complain without doing it on the Forums. The problem with dedicated FB pages is thou .... you are dealing in the now or doing a LOT of searching.... AND if its about one detector you cant really give an honest opinion without taking a lot of heat or find yourself on the outside looking in lol. A lot of forums have sponsors...... they like positive reviews.

I use other sites as well because frankly there are a lot more dirt hunters here and i dont participate even thou ive done a lot of dirt hunting years ago. I believe U-Tube has changed the internet and how we get info. But boy can those guys get beat up. Id like for Tom to get more equipment and be able to give us some great reviews without NDAs. However i know he is beyond busy..... im thankful for the time he take to answer my questions in a way i can understand them......and i get long winded lol.
March 05, 2022 03:33AM
Interesting thread.
March 05, 2022 07:41PM
Speculating here, that the main value of Tom's site as compared to other MD sites is that there is a higher degree of factual, technical, or tested observations and thought-out conclusions that carry a higher degree of integrity and therefore are useful to the user. If the majority of posts were about what MD targets were found or the subjective strengths of a detector based on purely anecdotal evidence of finding a target in a "hunted out site" then I'd gain little by reading these posts. Time is a commodity and wasting it is typically not wise.

In other words, there are educational posts that inform, which is the strength of Tom's site... and there are perhaps self-congratulatory posts looking for affirmation that their detector purchase is validated, which is okay in low numbers. But imo, too many low-information posts substantially degrade the value of a site. Most people are looking for solutions to a problem: learning their machine, learning MD techniques, looking for tweaks, advantages, tricks that will benefit them or inform them to make better decisions. There is a cost in time and energy expended to improve. The information must be applied through practice. This can be unpalatable for some -- a bit too complicated and sounds like work. So as generations pass and devolve, Tom's site will probably become less populated as newer MDists are attracted to sites featuring motivational stories or those "look what I've found" posts.

The value of a site decreases when peppered with basic MDing queries that could have been answered if the person had read their owner's manual. Seems today, entertainment value is the big draw, such as videos of MD hunts with target "reveals." These are somewhat informative, at least proving the detector involved is operational, but much of this is sound and fury signifying nothing. In the end, the flavor (content) of the MD site will determine who is attracted to it. This could be considered a self-fulfilling reinforcement ensuring that the dominant content type (educational vs. entertainment) persists and I'd wager that is for the best for everyone involved, to each their own.
March 07, 2022 10:27AM
Johnnyanglo Wrote:
> newer MDists are attracted to sites featuring motivat
> ional stories or those "look what I've found" posts.
>
These sites mentioned above, including Facebook and YT, are as common as zinc pennies, but forums like Tom’s is rare and extremely valued by all who want to delve deeper into the science and get more out of their detector than 90% of detectorists will know that it’s capable of. Although I don’t contribute as often as I should, I for one am very thankful to be able to come and get some “intelligent hunting” tips and tricks every day. Thanks Tom!
March 08, 2022 02:20PM
Thanks guys!
It all boils down to First Amendment.
If there's the slightest bit of 'filtering/restricting'....... than large chunks of critical and real data....is lost.
March 08, 2022 04:21PM
Mr. Dankowski, this forum is still one of the best, in terms of detection technology and detection itself.

It's largely ... Yours deserves ... where you present your high technical expertise ...,
. And it is also the merit of many members of this forum..who years have contributed valuable advice in terms of detection ... in their various field conditions ... / Monte, Keiht, and others ../
now ....... I'm glad Daniel TN wrote something again. -His advice is always valuable ..

It is true that many people here are interested in quality information about detection technology ..., technical attractions, benefits, but also the limits of various detectors.

It is certainly good to further develop the threads very successfully, and add fresh information to them ...

..hare your observations and advice ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2022 05:14PM by EL NINO.
March 13, 2022 01:05PM
I know this is an old post and I'm sure you've probably heard this by now, but the website is broken in all modern browsers and doesn't display properly, and it takes a bit of browser tweaking to get it to display correctly which also disables some browser security features. Your SSL is fine so that isn't the culprit, not sure what it is. I tried looking through the HTML and style sheet to see what it is, as near as I can tell you have a broken script or your iframes is broken. I've pointed every new person I get into the hobby here, and that issue with the website has been the reason they don't stay.

I've confirmed this in up-to-date versions of Chrome, Edge, and Safari. Older versions of Explorer are working fine.

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I have put a TON of blood (time, labor, effort) in
> to many of my last few years of posts........ and
> no one seems to be interested. Maybe folks are les
> s interested in technical stuff........ but/rather
> ....... more interested in photos of finds.....and
> videos.
>
> Yes..... I'm seeing this forum being used heavily
> for selling stuff.
>
> I also think folks are having a hard time register
> ing on this forum (including old members). I hard
> ly see any new members // new blood. THAT'S scary!
> !!