Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Like to Have the Old Site Back

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Like to Have the Old Site Back
March 13, 2022 01:48PM
WALLY ...... ARE YOU SEEING/READING THIS???
March 13, 2022 02:11PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WALLY ...... ARE YOU SEEING/READING THIS???

It has come up before Tom, here is a thread from a year ago. It's not terribly difficult to mess around with the browser's security settings to get it to display properly, but that causes the browser to start displaying warning messages constantly, and each post you try to submit also blasts you with warning messages about an insecure site. The folks I'm usually pointing here aren't technically savvy, and they get scared off by it all and choose to stick to Facebook groups.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
March 13, 2022 03:08PM
Yes....... but I would (at least) like to see SOME changes to this forum........ especially if any are easy-fixes and/or..... do not cost Wally too much.
March 13, 2022 09:22PM
Chris is right -- there are tweaks that one has to make with the browser to get the forum to display properly, and it results in those warning messages about "insecure site, are you sure you want to continue" types of things.

A fix to those issues, and fixing the registration problems (I ALSO have sent folks to the forum to join, and they report back that they can't join) would be great.

Steve
March 13, 2022 10:16PM
Tom : If you're wanting to point Walter in the right direction, suggest he reads the thread ChrisMD mentioned above, and the earlier thread:
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
where I had an attempt at tracking down all the 'mixed content' errors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2022 10:17PM by Pimento.
March 14, 2022 01:28AM
Pimento....... your link has caused my computer to revert to the 'failed' format.
March 14, 2022 07:56AM
That is because his link is https:// and the only way I can make it work on my machine is to use http://

Once you try opening the page using [], then it screws up the browser, because then the browser always tries to load it using [], and I forget how to "fix" it...

Steve
March 14, 2022 09:50AM
"It is a link that is both secure and mysterious, and it's mystery is only exceeded by it's security"

Well .. after I'd stopped sniggering at your misfortunes, I thought about why this would happen. You'll be disappointed to learn that I have no idea. But both my link and ChrisMD's appear as https links as I'm viewing the forum.. but seemingly not for everyone else. It's clearly a mixed-content issue again, I've got my browser set up to allow mixed content ( for this forum ) so I don't have any issues to report.
Maybe the very latest browser versions are just so darn security-paranoid they won't even do what you tell them 'for your own good, you can trust us, honestly'. I wouldn't know, as my Firefox is not up-to-date.

Here's Mozilla's suggestions on getting a mixed-content webpage sorted out:
[developer.mozilla.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2022 09:57AM by Pimento.
March 14, 2022 12:25PM
What has worked for me is.........
I have cleared cookies.
I have cleared history.
I manually enter through: New 'in-private' window.

These steps allow for this website to view in proper format.