Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What would be good AA rechargeable batteries for a detector?

Posted by Rick, N. MI 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What would be good AA rechargeable batteries for a detector?
August 08, 2021 04:04PM
Using a Minelab Advantage.
Re: What would be good AA rechargeable batteries for a detector?
August 08, 2021 04:16PM
I use energizers, they fit well in the battery boxes. Ultimate lithium

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2021 04:17PM by coinspader.
August 08, 2021 04:19PM
Eneloops.
I see there was mention of Enloop. These are great batteries but too expensive.
IKIA sells their LADDA brand generic looking white rechargeable batteries for about 1/2 of the price of Enloop Pro.
LADDA is made by Fujitsu for Panasonic (Japan), the maker of Enloop Pro. I previously inquired with both Panasonic and IKIA.
IKIA answered me and told me the LADDA batteries are Enloop Pro branded as LADDA.

It was not long after verifying all of this that a youtube video validated my findings came along.

[youtu.be]

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2021 08:24PM by Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant.
August 08, 2021 06:12PM
Going with Energizer ultimate lithiums.
August 09, 2021 01:53AM
Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see there was mention of Enloop. These are great
> batteries but too expensive.
> IKIA sells their LADDA brand generic looking white
> rechargeable batteries for about 1/2 of the price
> of Enloop Pro.
> LADDA is made by Fujitsu for Panasonic (Japan), th
> e maker of Enloop Pro. I previously inquired with
> both Panasonic and IKIA.
> IKIA answered me and told me the LADDA batteries a
> re Enloop Pro branded as LADDA.
>
> It was not long after verifying all of this that a
> youtube video validated my findings came along.

Of course we all have different situations, but my recommendation of Eneloops was based on an analysis of cost over the projected # of recharging cycles. When i loaded up, Eneloops were light years ahead of 2nd place in ultimate cost. An interested party would have to look at the marketplace now as i understand both Eneloops and other brands have improved (or at least their claims have). I still using mine in about everything that takes a AA around here and i bought them....i think it was about 12 years ago. The next best brand i have used hasnt lasted 2 years under my normal usage.

But as you said, not everyone can afford the upfront cost. But if a LAADA is just a generic Eneloop, well Load Up! (checking the # of recharging cycles and amp-hours would be a quick way to check if they are the same battery)
August 09, 2021 02:44AM
If you are not using rechargeables, the list below shows the cost of disposable batteries. The highest-rated batteries are the longest-lasting at the cheapest cost. I didn't do the testing just cataloged the results.

Battery Test Results
August 09, 2021 04:01PM
One thing I've found after 45+ years detecting and now living in Arizona is that most of the inexpensive batteries don't hold up in the high temperatures we have here in the summer. For example, the Costco Kirkland brand batteries perform well in the winter months but corrode quickly in the heat. The Duracell batteries who make the Kirkland brand (as I understand it) hold up to the heat much better. Don't leave batteries in your electronics that are not being used! Especially the inexpensive brands.
August 09, 2021 04:43PM
Just found out lithium batteries aren't rechargeable.

Thanks,
Rick
August 09, 2021 07:37PM
Rick, N. MI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just found out lithium batteries aren't rechargeab
> le.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick My bad, sorry for the faulty info, I thought they were rechargeables when I bought them myself.
August 10, 2021 01:50AM
The other advantage I've seen with the Eneloops is that they maintain their capacity (and charge) if not used for an extended period of time.
I've got other, cheaper rechargeables that have lost 50% (or more) of their capacity from just sitting.

Some old guy once told me, "You may not always get what you pay for, but you'll never get what you don't pay for."
JCR
August 17, 2021 02:31PM
I have been using the rechargeable Energizers AA's with satisfaction for the last 2+ years. Have also used the Eneloop Pros for almost a year now. Also very satisfactory. I am getting ready to order a kit from Tenergy that has 8 AAs & AC/12VDC charger for extras around the house.

Chris
August 17, 2021 03:22PM
I have bought Eneloops for my detectors and would continue to use the same. If you already have a decent charger, they are less than $3 each if you buy 8 at battery junction. They will last a thousand charges (that is twice a week for 20 years), don't leak, hold charge for 10 years, high quality and reliable. I've never had a failure on them an all my valuable electronics that use aa now have them.
Make sure to get the Japanese made ones.
August 17, 2021 06:47PM
Thank you everyone. If I need more rechargeable batteries. I'll get the Eneloops.
August 19, 2021 02:44PM
I have to cast another vote for the Eneloops. I switched to them 5+ years ago in all my detectors and they work great. My V3i really goes through batteries, and I have two 8x AA battery holders that I take to the field and swap out battery holders when the first drains. Two sets of 8x AA Eneloops have always gotten me through as long of a day as I care to spend detecting. One set gets me through multiple all-day hunts when using my MXT.

With as much juice as the V3i needs, I've put those Eneloops through many repeated workouts without a problem.
August 19, 2021 05:20PM
We use Eneloops at work, very good batteries.
August 19, 2021 06:43PM
I will vote for Eneloops as well. I use them in radios and flashlights with good results. I like the fact that I can depend on them having a charge even if they have been setting idle for a while.