Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Help needed on Equinox iron bias.

Posted by caroly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Help needed on Equinox iron bias.
September 24, 2021 12:24PM
Iron Bias is only available when the operating frequency is in Multi.
So if you change to single frequency does the iron bias go to default or will it be in the same settings as you had it in when in multi.?
Thanks for any help.
Re: Help needed on Equinox iron bias.
September 24, 2021 08:02PM
Unless I am mistaken, Iron Bias only FUNCTIONS in multi-frequency. It takes the "multiple frequencies" to ascertain the information needed for the algorithm to function. In single frequency mode, Iron Bias is not functioning, and thus not able to be utilized. That's my understanding.

Steve
September 24, 2021 08:57PM
Good to know Steve, thanks, I wasn’t aware of that either. But then, I rarely run in single freq anyway unless I’m testing or playing and some SF settings you can’t adjust iron bias in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2021 09:42AM by Gary in Daytona.
September 25, 2021 09:02AM
I think what coroly is asking is, does the iron bias setting in multi carry over to the single frequencies? I don't think it does.

I'm pretty sure all single frequency detectors have a pre-set iron bias. What would that default setting in the single frequencies be equivalent to in the range of adjustment in multi? My guess would be right in the middle but I could be wrong.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2021 09:16AM by Badger in NH.
September 25, 2021 01:52PM
caroly........ If you switch over to a single frequency.,.,.,.,., the Iron Bias does NOT "carry over" to the single frequency ....from the Multi-frequency setting. It is not 'global'. It is 'local'. The Iron Bias will be a predetermined 'fixed' setting whilst in single frequency.

A bit more technical detail: Multi frequency transmits several frequencies.......and receives several frequencies. The 'receive' portion of multiple frequencies subsequently needs to be run through a comparator......whereby....... MANY more data-points (above any single freq) can be gleaned , . , , . , . , . one of which...allows for a Iron Bias to be authorized/employed.
September 25, 2021 05:10PM
Thanks for all the answers...I try to stick to multi but the last 2 digs I have been on the EMI was terrible ...single frequency and sensitivity 16...power lines on both sides of the field !
September 26, 2021 01:18AM
If EMI prompts:

Multi to be run on Sens 12
but
A single freq authorizes a Sens of 16......... run the single freq
September 27, 2021 08:00AM
Tom those numbers are very close to my test garden results...l had multi on a low setting of 14 and single frequency on 16 . The mineralization in the test garden on the Deus is 3 bars. I also tested the "target tone" which I had increased to 25 to be as similar as possible to the my Deus tone only to find that an "iffy" signal turned into a "dig" signal when I turned it back to the default number 20.
September 27, 2021 12:19PM
On a average day in my test-garden....... the highest I can run EQX Sens is '23'.......and ascertain mild EMI chatter; but only AFTER repeated Noise Cancel searches. This is in "Multi".
There are days whereby.......running a single freq will give a bit less EMI; yet, the depth on a Nickel.....and the depth on a Dime.,.,.,.,. still remains less than "Multi".
BUT....... in the real World; conditions can flip all of this data up-side-down.
September 28, 2021 07:26AM
Two of my test holes are four foot apart , I did a Noise Cancel on one hole at +8 moved over to the next and it was -1 . Could Noise Cancelling tracking be the next step.
September 29, 2021 01:17AM
There's many ways to tackle EMI. Mostly in (merely) mitigation. And very few ways to 'rid' EMI. There's been a heavy/concerted campaign ....... for the past 3-1/2 years...... in ridding EMI. I can divulge zero data on this subject-matter........ for now.
September 29, 2021 04:22AM
When noise cancelling, I point the coil directly at the power lines and hit the noise cancel. Clears it right up.

"It's only when we lost everything, that we are free to do anything"
September 29, 2021 07:40AM
Cheers Beyonder-Pa I will give that a try ....the person who first set it up for me held the coil at 2 inches off the ground and did a N.C. I am back to the same fields tomorrow and I will try all ways to see which one is the quietest ...thanks for all the answers.