Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deep Nickel VDI numbers.

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deep Nickel VDI numbers.
October 12, 2021 12:35AM
I hunt really trashy parks and hardly ever go after nickels because my time is limited. I'm going to notch in 12-13 on my next hunt due to amount of wheats and silver I've been taking out of 2 places I've hit this past month. Have you found the Nox the hit nickels in this range at depth, I'm talking 7-9" depth, that's where most of the keepers are being found, thanks.
Re: Deep Nickel VDI numbers.
October 12, 2021 01:41AM
Dan...... yes. Absolutely! Yet...... with one caveat. At the deeper depths..... there is a slightly greater "ID splatter" propensity. So........... Keep your Nickel ID window on the 11-14 ID range. When you acquire a target in this range....... it will teach you the nuances of "Nickel splatter". ((( You may hate it at first...... then you will NEVER look back!!! )))!!!!! It's an eye-opener.
October 12, 2021 01:42AM
Dan(NM) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hunt really trashy parks and hardly ever go afte
> r nickels because my time is limited. I'm going t
> o notch in 12-13 on my next hunt due to amount of
> wheats and silver I've been taking out of 2 places
> I've hit this past month. Have you found the Nox t
> he hit nickels in this range at depth, I'm talking
> 7-9" depth, that's where most of the keepers are b
> eing found, thanks.

Equinox is the best nickel finder of any machine I've ever used. I use Park 2 with 12 and 13 accepted.
October 12, 2021 12:24PM
I would also like to add...... (and it kinda goes without saying): If mineralization is bad..... all ID's are out-the-window.
October 12, 2021 12:50PM
The Equinox ID is always crazy on DEEP targets...Hits hard on low conductors! some how it finds the stuff...I just wish it had a X-1 set up...Because I know how ever good you are ..You are going to dig deep nails!
October 13, 2021 02:21PM
In my quest for a gold coin, I have been digging almost all mid-tones in the couple of parks i have been frequenting. Nickels on the ragged edge of depth need good headphones for me to determine the difference between ground grunts and iron grunts intersperced with the nickel tones. I can't use the included wireless phones for dirt digging because there is no nuance. NASA-Tom, those original headphones you sold me with the G2 WAY back in the day are still my go-to for dirt. phenominal to say the least. They should get some repairs now, but I'm scared to death the post office will lose them or something!

A park Ozzie and I hunt often has given up so many old nickels, i work over a deep target pretty hard before deciding to move on. When pinpointing on a target, I also pinpoint in a really wide circle around it, to see where any other close targets are, and try to work out if they are iron or can slaw/other, and their properties, then go back to original target, knowing the surrounding little area better, and now understanding many times why the numbers or tone skews on that one side, or the other, etc. It helps me understand which way to approach the target to eliminate the falsing from the now known bad target. Also, switching in and out of all-metal helps understand targets, sometimes.

Notching is too dangerous to me. I am so much more interested in the tone, and depth. I dug a deepie that was mostly a 10 with some ranging up...was a vertical v nickel. the ranging up on the one side was a deeper v nickel, and i pulled 4 total out of that expanded hole. Same park, i dug a deep 16, which was two v nickels stuck together. Last week, at an old schoolhouse, dug a deep 15, which will probably be my only ever "Remember the Maine" token. Hate notch. I understand trashy sites fatigue, but hate the thought of skipping something old and deep because it wasnt in the chosen ID range.

Sorry for the ramble.

I wish you the absolute best luck in finding your nickels, Dan.
October 13, 2021 04:00PM
Dan(NM) Wrote:
I hunt really trashy parks and hardly ever go after nickels because my time is limited. I'm going to notch in 12-13 on my next hunt due to amount of wheats and silver I've been taking out of 2 places I've hit this past month. Have you found the Nox the hit nickels in this range at depth, I'm talking 7-9" depth, that's where most of the keepers are
being found, thanks.

Dan,

First comment is that I never 'Notch' numbers in-and-out.

Second comment is that when I had a EQ-800 , and was working some placs with closely-located trash to partially mask a keeper, I had some of those US 5ยข coins read-out at '15' VDI, and a few that were '14' and even some at '16' depending upon the type and orientation of the masking metal object. Some were Iron Nails and other troubling trash were odd-shaped ferrous and non-ferrous debris.

Third, I do not use visual VDI / TID all the time, but I do glance at or reference a read-out. However, knowing that none of the visual info is going to be 100% or even close to that for correctness, especially once a target is beyond 4" or in any case where there is other scattered trash, I keep a low Disc. and simply recover any good or questionable audio hits. Then I refer to the top line in my Signature below.

Monte

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher-1, Makro-1, Minelab-1, Nokta-1, Tesoro-2, White's-1
Garrett MS-3 -- Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
October 13, 2021 06:35PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
> In my quest for a gold coin, I have been digging a
> lmost all mid-tones in the couple of parks i have
> been frequenting....

Bear in mind also, that in a "quest for gold coins", another factor, even more important that TID ranges is: Location location location.

Maybe it's different on the east coast, but : In California, I can think of parks where you can have all the TID's safely in your acceptance. And then proceed to dig 1000s of targets. Yet your odds of ever getting a gold coin will be nil. Instead, the better places (at least here in the west) is not junky parks. It's : Stage stops (and military forts of a certain date-range). Because go figure: At a stage stop : People were traveling, back at a day & age, where, if you ready to "move your life" and carry your belongings with you, then THAT is when you might be carry the gold coins.

Another big factor is the predominance of the age of the coins. I realize that gold coins were made even into the early 1930s. But you'll notice that VERY VERY FEW are ever found that post date about 1900. Because paper money, and check-writing was coming into vogue about that time. That's why whenever you see someone's gold coin show & tell, you almost NEVER see a 1920's. On a very rare occasion, perhaps a 1910s. But mostly always 1800's dates. THEREFORE : The site you're working needs to be flush with coins that are no later than 1900-ish. Thus park turf (where it's bound to be clad, wheaties, mercuries, etc....) is not the place to be looking for gold coins. Not that I would argue with finding one there, but just saying, Location location location is the key factor in finding gold coins.

Also, on the east coast, I know that there's simply less gold coin demographics. So there is no doubt sites there that might have given up 100s of coins pre-dating 1800. And hardcore hunters there who've racked up STAGGERING amounts of LC's, colonial coppers, busts, reales, etc.... yet never found a gold coin. Contrast to CA, and I can think of MULTIPLE stage stop sites, that we researched and hit virgin, that ...... by the time they were done, gave up perhaps 20 period coins (seateds, V's, etc...) yet also gave up a gold coin. I've seen that statistic repeated many times here. But the east coast just has different ratios. Much harder to find a gold coin there, despite being in the correct date-range sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2021 06:37PM by Tom_in_CA.
October 18, 2021 09:10PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Contrast to CA, and I can think of MULTIPLE stage stop sites, that we researched and hit virgin, that ...... by the time they were done, gave up perhaps 20 period coins (seateds, V's, etc...) yet also gave up a gold coin. I've seen that
> statistic repeated many times here. But the east coast just has different ratios. Much harder to find a gold coin there, despite being in the correct date-range sad smiley

I've personally seen Tom dig several gold coins (at least four off the top of my head), and he's exactly right. We've found several virgin stage stop type sites, and maybe a few dozen 1800's coins in total were dug, yet it seems like each one of these sites tends to be good for at least one gold coin in the mix. Contrast that to parks, I've heard of very few gold coins coming from parks. Golden Gate Park goes back to what, the 1860's, and has had tons of activity since, including a worlds fair, and I know people that hunt there on an almost daily basis that've mined hundreds (heck maybe even thousands) of silver coins, yet zero gold coins. I think I've only heard of one gold coin coming out of Golden Gate Park, yet other equally old parks in the area zilch. You'd certainly think they'd be more, but that hasn't been what I've observed. We've been fortunate to participate in several park demos in the area that produced tons of silver coins, jewelry, etc., but no gold coins.
October 19, 2021 02:25AM
Understanding the past.......can determine your future.