Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Old tech VS New Tech

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Old tech VS New Tech
November 16, 2021 12:58PM
Will old tech keep up with the new? What are your metal detecting beliefs based on? Fact or fiction? Nostalgia? What Billy Bob said? [youtu.be]
Re: Old tech VS New Tech
November 16, 2021 01:38PM
It hasn't in the past. Even though strides in detecting have slowed, new tech will usually be small steps ahead, somehow on the design, like weight, depth, function, unmasking, readout, options etc.
November 16, 2021 02:03PM
this is my third year detecting .. so I haven't spent thousands of dollars on this hobby, yet .. I have spent thousands of hours hunting, however and I sure do enjoy the time I'm out hunting and make some really good finds most every time I go out .. my comparison isn't done the same way Billy Bob does his comparisons .. my comparison is done with the only guy I regularly hunt with .. he has a Nox800, I have a T2se .. and hunt after hunt, field after field, yard after yard, park after park .. both our trash to treasure ratios are so similar as to not be a factor .. sometimes I'm the one with the best find(s), sometimes he's the one with the best find(s) .. but neither one of us continually blows the other away ... as far as tech vs. tech .. it seems, unscientifically of course, that the first one to put a coil over the treasure 'wins' ... I also have a flip phone, so talk to me before sending a text message ..if it is something important.
November 16, 2021 02:35PM
ScoTTT2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this is my third year detecting .. so I haven't sp
> ent thousands of dollars on this hobby, yet .. I h
> ave spent thousands of hours hunting, however and
> I sure do enjoy the time I'm out hunting and make
> some really good finds most every time I go out ..
> my comparison isn't done the same way Billy Bob do
> es his comparisons .. my comparison is done with t
> he only guy I regularly hunt with .. he has a Nox8
> 00, I have a T2se .. and hunt after hunt, field af
> ter field, yard after yard, park after park .. bot
> h our trash to treasure ratios are so similar as t
> o not be a factor .. sometimes I'm the one with th
> e best find(s), sometimes he's the one with the be
> st find(s) .. but neither one of us continually bl
> ows the other away ... as far as tech vs. tech ..
> it seems, unscientifically of course, that the fir
> st one to put a coil over the treasure 'wins' ...
> I also have a flip phone, so talk to me before sen
> ding a text message ..if it is something important
> .

This is my 45th year of detecting, and for what it’s worth, from my experience, I agree with what you just said 100%
November 16, 2021 03:29PM
Equinox and Deus/Orx have pushed it past the old detector. When I see a good deal on an older detector that I really liked and I want to get it. I don't because of the new detectors I have.
November 16, 2021 03:58PM
Funny thing I had a buddy with T2 who is very tight with his money. He said your gonna have to prove to me the Deus is better in iron for relics. After a considerable number of butt kicking hunts in the field guess what he swings now......

ScoTT2 got a question for you....What if the guy you hunt with is a complete know nothing on how to run the Equinox?

Not saying he is but what if?

I have tested the T2 and F75 and they dont come close to the performance of the Equinox and Deus...but thats for another thread..

Heres one thing to keep in mind some of those iron tones you hear they might actually be deeper coins because the T2 and F75 are notorious for calling deeper non ferrous targets (silver etc) IRON....

Billy Bob didnt tell me that I figured it out on my own.....

I love finding artifacts myself and I have spent thousands of hours doing so too.

So your post is exactly what I am talking about in my video about how some people come to develop a belief system about detectors...

Question is the T2 really as capable as the Equinox ?

The way you have developed your belief system looks like in your mind the answer is yes....

As long as you believe that and are happy ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2021 04:05PM by calabash digger.
November 16, 2021 04:26PM
Calabash, this stirred up quite the conversation: [metaldetectingforum.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2021 04:26PM by Tom_in_CA.
November 16, 2021 04:28PM
ScoTTT2 Wrote:
> the first one to put a coil over the treasure 'wins' ...
>
> .

Yes, sure, 95% of detecting is "location location location". But once 2 equally skilled guys are on the SAME said-location, then you can bet that subtle advantages with various machines can very-much-come into play. Everyone wants the better mousetrap. But this assumes that "mice-exist in the first place" (ie.: location location location). Once we deduce mice are there, then the mousetrap discussion comes into play eye rolling smiley
November 16, 2021 05:14PM
Thanks Tom I am coming to Cali one day to have that duel with you...lol
November 16, 2021 05:17PM
I started in this hobby to enjoy myself .. I bought the T2+ package as my first machine because I got not only the machine, but the pinpointer and digger for the same price .. I really wasn't sure I was going to like this hobby .. but I do .. I bought the T2se to use in the few places of heavy EMI and because I was comfortable with how the T2+ worked .. I bought the T2se with the silver I found with the T2+ .. Not to sure on my buddies understanding of his machine, but he's been detecting for over 30 years, I've learned a lot from him ... but that still doesn't say much .. I understand and know what my machine is capable of and it's limits .. also the deep sounds, real deep sounds, it makes .. am I missing some good targets?, probably .. are you missing some good targets with the new tech? .. probably, .. if you weren't there would be no reason to advance the tech any further .. am I also finding some real good targets, yes .. enough to keep me coming to places like this looking for the answers to questions I have .. and to search out other places to hunt .. I consistently pull coins as deep as 15 inches .. so, in my hands the T2 is every bit as capable as the Nox is in my friends hands .. that is what I have to unscientifically base my observations on, which I though was the question. .. to state that you know anything about me or how I do anything is laughable .. we have never met .. I don't want to be you. .. what I get from your posts and videos is that if I don't use the machines that you think are the best then I suck .. I would much rather learn something from all your experience .. but so far you haven't answered any questions I've had when I was looking for answers .. it was always someone else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2021 06:34PM by ScoTTT2.
November 16, 2021 05:38PM
I stopped posting on this forum. I look occaisionally to see if there are any new enlightening posts about "new tech" or just tech in general. Tom doesn't post a lot anymore. Maybe he doesn't have time? I maily visit other forums where there are a lot of technical conversations about detecting rather than what people "feel" about their detectors. This forum is dying because it has turned into some weird kind of "old curmudgeon" echo chamber. No new members here asking simple questions about their new detector purchase. Why is that? You know they ghost the forums and look at the conversations before they decide to register. IDK, maybe ya'll like it that way. Kind of a technical "get off my lawn"? It is going to keep getting increasingly lonely in here. And I will echo what I've seen many time before when pertaining to Calabash's videos. You may not like his delivery because he bashes your favorite brand, but where is your videos/evidence to prove him wrong? Have you tried proving him wrong? Anecdotal evidence doesn't count in this type of technical circumstance. It only goes towards proving your opinion. Calabash shows you video proof of what he is saying, and if you care about results, you can recreate them yourself. Rant over. Hope everyone has happy holidays.
November 16, 2021 06:26PM
The Mighty Nox and Deus are great in iron Relic hunting type situations. But you hunt a Victorian era old city park still in use you will spend all day digging up foil, steel bottle caps, and aluminum trash that will high tone like a coin. Explorer, Etracs, and even 'old tech' Fisher CZ's will not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2021 06:39PM by Harold,ILL..
November 16, 2021 06:59PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> The Mighty Nox and Deus are great in iron Relic hu
> nting type situations. But you hunt a Victorian er
> a old city park still in use you will spend all da
> y digging up foil, steel bottle caps, and aluminum
> trash that will high tone like a coin. Explorer, E
> tracs, and even 'old tech' Fisher CZ's will not.

^ ^ This ^ ^

Well, especially for the Deus. While it might be great for old-town urban demolition (sidewalk tearouts full of nails, etc...), yet it's not good at cherry picking @ parks. Yes there's "tricks" to pass crown-caps (which litter any junky parks), but .... you will tend to spend all your time 2nd-guessing them. And digging a bunch "just to be sure". While other machines effortlessly pass crown caps. And other machines effortlessly alert you to the difference between a 4" deep corroded zinc vs a 6" deep green IH. Versus the Deus will have far-less-tell-tale audio to distinguish for such minor nuances.

As for the "Mighty Nox", it's better than the Deus for junky parks. At *best* it might be a step-sideways from the Explorer, in trying to cherry pick turf for deep high conductors.

JMHO
November 16, 2021 07:46PM
I still love metal detecting, but I've backed away from the forums and never enjoyed watching MD videos. Sometimes when I have a long wait in line somewhere like today I enjoy catching up on this forum. I don't doubt Calabash's skill or ability. What bothers me is his smug attitude about his way being the only way. I've been using the Nox for two and a half years now and it produces better for me and socks deeper (when not crippled by Emi) than other detectors I've used. My beloved At Pro that I regularly used from 2011-2019 is now my backup. So I don't disagree with him about the detector. Although I
appreciate the knowledge he's brought to the hobby, but the troll-like bashing of other detectors he deems unworthy is something I find very annoying.
November 16, 2021 07:50PM
Relic hunting and park hunting are two different animals as most of know, The Deus in my opinion is the top dog for finding non ferrous metal among iron infested areas and when you relic hunt you are pretty much looking for anything non ferrous. Park hunters are plagued with modern trash and we have to be more selective to keep a good trash to treasure ratio, there are older tech detectors that give you more information on what's under your coil than the Deus and there are some new tech detectors that can play both games relatively well such as the Nox. I think ergonomics has also played a big part in what people choose to use for metal detecting, As I am getting older it takes more effort to hunt with the heavier FBS machines so I am sure at some point I will hunt with the newer light detectors exclusively to save my shoulder and arm. Some times I just like hunting with a good old analog beep and dig, easier on the brain. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2021 07:54PM by coinspader.
November 16, 2021 08:28PM
ScoTTT2 Wrote:
> I started in this hobby to enjoy myself .. I bough
> t the T2+ package as my first machine because I go
> t not only the machine, but the pinpointer and dig
> ger for the same price .. I really wasn't sure I w
> as going to like this hobby .. but I do .. I bough
> t the T2se to use in the few places of heavy EMI a
> nd because I was comfortable with how the T2+ work
> ed .. I bought the T2se with the silver I found wi
> th the T2+ .. Not to sure on my buddies understand
> ing of his machine, but he's been detecting for ov
> er 30 years, I've learned a lot from him ... but t
> hat still doesn't say much .. I understand and kno
> w what my machine is capable of and it's limits ..
> also the deep sounds, real deep sounds, it makes .
> . am I missing some good targets?, probably .. are
> you missing some good targets with the new tech? .
> . probably, .. if you weren't there would be no re
> ason to advance the tech any further .. am I also
> finding some real good targets, yes .. enough to k
> eep me coming to places like this looking for the
> answers to questions I have .. and to search out o
> ther places to hunt .. I consistently pull coins a
> s deep as 15 inches .. so, in my hands the T2 is e
> very bit as capable as the Nox is in my friends ha
> nds .. that is what I have to unscientifically bas
> e my observations on, which I though was the quest
> ion. .. to state that you know anything about me o
> r how I do anything is laughable .. we have never
> met .. I don't want to be you. .. what I get from
> your posts and videos is that if I don't use the m
> achines that you think are the best then I suck ..
> I would much rather learn something from all your
> experience .. but so far you haven't answered any
> questions I've had when I was looking for answers
> .. it was always someone else.

As long as your happy ...15 inch coins with a T2 yeah right.....In your hands the T2 is EVERY bit as capable as the Nox...As long as you believe that..

Here we go with the man offended my detector crap...
I will give you a pass as the T2 is the only detector you have spent any time with so your knowledge base is very small on how different brands perform .

Here is a answer that you were not looking for but I will give it to you for free...If your gonna stay in the hobby sell that T2 and get yourself a good detector.
November 16, 2021 08:32PM
15 inches...I think maybe someone's reading the wrong side of the ruler! LOL!!!
November 16, 2021 08:34PM
67GTA Wrote:
> I stopped posting on this forum. I look occaisiona
> lly to see if there are any new enlightening posts
> about "new tech" or just tech in general. Tom does
> n't post a lot anymore. Maybe he doesn't have time
> ? I maily visit other forums where there are a lot
> of technical conversations about detecting rather
> than what people "feel" about their detectors. Thi
> s forum is dying because it has turned into some w
> eird kind of "old curmudgeon" echo chamber. No new
> members here asking simple questions about their n
> ew detector purchase. Why is that? You know they g
> host the forums and look at the conversations befo
> re they decide to register. IDK, maybe ya'll like
> it that way. Kind of a technical "get off my lawn"
> ? It is going to keep getting increasingly lonely
> in here. And I will echo what I've seen many time
> before when pertaining to Calabash's videos. You m
> ay not like his delivery because he bashes your fa
> vorite brand, but where is your videos/evidence to
> prove him wrong? Have you tried proving him wrong?
> Anecdotal evidence doesn't count in this type of t
> echnical circumstance. It only goes towards provin
> g your opinion. Calabash shows you video proof of
> what he is saying, and if you care about results,
> you can recreate them yourself. Rant over. Hope ev
> eryone has happy holidays.

Of all the test videos I have ever done on head to head shootouts I have only seen two ever posted to try to disprove what I showed or said....

One was Ziggy with the Vista machines where he pulled some kind of parlor trick with the ground balance and another was a guy with a Deus where he used modern Home Depot nails ....

Now I have had thousands of post like the guy posted above with the degrading tones to it...
November 16, 2021 08:38PM
marcomo Wrote:
> 15 inches...I think maybe someone's reading the wr
> ong side of the ruler! LOL!!!

That statement alone told me what I needed to know....More like he digs coins on a regular basis at 15 cm....
November 16, 2021 09:05PM
take what you want from my replies to this post .. prove me wrong, I have no reason to embellish anything, .. that serves no purpose .. I'm surely not offended by anything said here .. I know, in your mind, I suck and will never be as good as you .. that's because, you're the best .. but "to stay in this hobby I need to sell my detector and buy a good machine?" .. well I guess when my shovel comes home clean or my bag is empty, I'll do that .. maybe if I'm digging 15 inch coins with a T2 and you can't or can't even believe it, there is something more to be said about that
November 16, 2021 09:15PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> marcomo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 15 inches...I think maybe someone's reading the
> wr
> > ong side of the ruler! LOL!!!
>
> That statement alone told me what I needed to know
> ....More like he digs coins on a regular basis at
> 15 cm....

marcomo Wrote:
> 15 inches...I think maybe someone's reading the wr
> ong side of the ruler! LOL!!!

Oh my gosh, now you guys are going to be accused to trash-talking. Tsk tsk. Repent. eye rolling smiley

But seriously now : There are some machines that can certainly get "coins to 15 inches" : A Fisher 1266 with bigger coil, can be shown in an air test to effortlessly get a quarter to 15", while in disc. mode. But heaven-help the poor soul that tries to replicate that trick, in junky ghost towns, or wet-salt beaches, or who thinks he can therefore get 15" coins out of junky parks.

And I've personally seen a Sovereign with a WOT get coins to over a foot, on the wet-salt-beach, with ease. While simultaneously having an ability to pass iron. But heaven help the poor sap who tries to replicate this trick in junky parks. He will go psycho with the orchestra barrage.

Or, heck, get a Minelab 7000 . And I'll bet you can do WELL OVER 15 Inches on any coin. Yet every pinhead will likewise ring the bells of notre-dame. So what good do those depth statistics to a coin/relic guy for the type places we typically hunt ?

So excuse me for my skepticism, but I can not conceive of someone routinely getting 15" on coins, unless it falls into one of the above categories. Which will be filled with "gotchas".
November 16, 2021 09:22PM
My BS meter just went off...15 inch coins with a T2 ...[youtu.be]
November 16, 2021 09:33PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Funny thing I had a buddy with T2 who is very tigh
> t with his money. He said your gonna have to prove
> to me the Deus is better in iron for relics. After
> a considerable number of butt kicking hunts in the
> field guess what he swings now......
>
> ScoTT2 got a question for you....What if the guy y
> ou hunt with is a complete know nothing on how to
> run the Equinox?
>
> Not saying he is but what if?
>
> I have tested the T2 and F75 and they dont come cl
> ose to the performance of the Equinox and Deus...b
> ut thats for another thread..
>
> Heres one thing to keep in mind some of those iron
> tones you hear they might actually be deeper coins
> because the T2 and F75 are notorious for calling d
> eeper non ferrous targets (silver etc) IRON....
>
> Billy Bob didnt tell me that I figured it out on m
> y own.....
>
> I love finding artifacts myself and I have spent t
> housands of hours doing so too.
>
> So your post is exactly what I am talking about in
> my video about how some people come to develop a b
> elief system about detectors...
>
> Question is the T2 really as capable as the Equino
> x ?
>
> The way you have developed your belief system look
> s like in your mind the answer is yes....
>
> As long as you believe that and are happy ...

If you get a iron tone with the t2 and the tone gives no numbers you dig it. Dug a lot of good, deep relics doing that. Just a little tidbit from experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2021 09:56PM by Bill long.
November 16, 2021 09:34PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> My BS meter just went off...15 inch coins with a T
> 2 ...[youtu.be]

another good video. Love the live dig. The passion. The audio captured, the description of the objectives, the reveal , etc.... Good job.
November 16, 2021 09:48PM
Thanks Tom I would have loved it if you had been with me with your explorer on that one.
November 16, 2021 09:51PM
Bill long Wrote:
> calabash digger Wrote:
> -----
> > Funny thing I had a buddy with T2 who is very ti
> gh
> > t with his money. He said your gonna have to pro
> ve
> > to me the Deus is better in iron for relics. Aft
> er
> > a considerable number of butt kicking hunts in t
> he
> > field guess what he swings now......
> >
> > ScoTT2 got a question for you....What if the guy
> y
> > ou hunt with is a complete know nothing on how t
> o
> > run the Equinox?
> >
> > Not saying he is but what if?
> >
> > I have tested the T2 and F75 and they dont come
> cl
> > ose to the performance of the Equinox and Deus..
> .b
> > ut thats for another thread..
> >
> > Heres one thing to keep in mind some of those ir
> on
> > tones you hear they might actually be deeper coi
> ns
> > because the T2 and F75 are notorious for calling
> d
> > eeper non ferrous targets (silver etc) IRON....
> >
> > Billy Bob didnt tell me that I figured it out on
> m
> > y own.....
> >
> > I love finding artifacts myself and I have spent
> t
> > housands of hours doing so too.
> >
> > So your post is exactly what I am talking about
> in
> > my video about how some people come to develop a
> b
> > elief system about detectors...
> >
> > Question is the T2 really as capable as the Equi
> no
> > x ?
> >
> > The way you have developed your belief system lo
> ok
> > s like in your mind the answer is yes....
> >
> > As long as you believe that and are happy ...
>
> If you get a iron tone with the t2 and the tone gi
> ves no numbers you dig it. Dug a lot of good relic
> s doing that. Just a little tidbit from experience
> .

If I was a betting man I would bet the FARM that you dug a lot of iron doing that also....
November 16, 2021 09:56PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Thanks Tom I am coming to Cali one day to have that duel with you...lol

Oh but Tom swings a french poodle now hot smiley
November 16, 2021 09:58PM
ScoTTT2 Wrote:
> I started in this hobby to enjoy myself .. I bough
> t the T2+ package as my first machine because I go
> t not only the machine, but the pinpointer and dig
> ger for the same price .. I really wasn't sure I w
> as going to like this hobby .. but I do .. I bough
> t the T2se to use in the few places of heavy EMI a
> nd because I was comfortable with how the T2+ work
> ed .. I bought the T2se with the silver I found wi
> th the T2+ .. Not to sure on my buddies understand
> ing of his machine, but he's been detecting for ov
> er 30 years, I've learned a lot from him ... but t
> hat still doesn't say much .. I understand and kno
> w what my machine is capable of and it's limits ..
> also the deep sounds, real deep sounds, it makes .
> . am I missing some good targets?, probably .. are
> you missing some good targets with the new tech? .
> . probably, .. if you weren't there would be no re
> ason to advance the tech any further .. am I also
> finding some real good targets, yes .. enough to k
> eep me coming to places like this looking for the
> answers to questions I have .. and to search out o
> ther places to hunt .. I consistently pull coins a
> s deep as 15 inches .. so, in my hands the T2 is e
> very bit as capable as the Nox is in my friends ha
> nds .. that is what I have to unscientifically bas
> e my observations on, which I though was the quest
> ion. .. to state that you know anything about me o
> r how I do anything is laughable .. we have never
> met .. I don't want to be you. .. what I get from
> your posts and videos is that if I don't use the m
> achines that you think are the best then I suck ..
> I would much rather learn something from all your
> experience .. but so far you haven't answered any
> questions I've had when I was looking for answers
> .. it was always someone else.

I used the F75 for about ten years. Started off with the F75 LTD, then they offered the upgrade to the LTD2 which I sprang for and it worked pretty well. I had a T2 LTD2 as well for a spell, but at the same time having the F75 it didn't make sense to have both so I sold it. In retrospect I think the T2 was a better relic machine then the F75.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2021 10:09PM by Cal_cobra.
November 16, 2021 10:14PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Bill long Wrote:
> -----
> > calabash digger Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > Funny thing I had a buddy with T2 who is very
> ti
> > gh
> > > t with his money. He said your gonna have to p
> ro
> > ve
> > > to me the Deus is better in iron for relics. A
> ft
> > er
> > > a considerable number of butt kicking hunts in
> t
> > he
> > > field guess what he swings now......
> > >
> > > ScoTT2 got a question for you....What if the g
> uy
> > y
> > > ou hunt with is a complete know nothing on how
> t
> > o
> > > run the Equinox?
> > >
> > > Not saying he is but what if?
> > >
> > > I have tested the T2 and F75 and they dont com
> e
> > cl
> > > ose to the performance of the Equinox and Deus
> ..
> > .b
> > > ut thats for another thread..
> > >
> > > Heres one thing to keep in mind some of those
> ir
> > on
> > > tones you hear they might actually be deeper c
> oi
> > ns
> > > because the T2 and F75 are notorious for calli
> ng
> > d
> > > eeper non ferrous targets (silver etc) IRON...
> .
> > >
> > > Billy Bob didnt tell me that I figured it out
> on
> > m
> > > y own.....
> > >
> > > I love finding artifacts myself and I have spe
> nt
> > t
> > > housands of hours doing so too.
> > >
> > > So your post is exactly what I am talking abou
> t
> > in
> > > my video about how some people come to develop
> a
> > b
> > > elief system about detectors...
> > >
> > > Question is the T2 really as capable as the Eq
> ui
> > no
> > > x ?
> > >
> > > The way you have developed your belief system
> lo
> > ok
> > > s like in your mind the answer is yes....
> > >
> > > As long as you believe that and are happy ...
> >
> > If you get a iron tone with the t2 and the tone
> gi
> > ves no numbers you dig it. Dug a lot of good rel
> ic
> > s doing that. Just a little tidbit from experien
> ce
> > .
>
> If I was a betting man I would bet the FARM that y
> ou dug a lot of iron doing that also....

I’m sure I have l just don’t reminder. I just remember the good stuff. Do you ever dig any iron? Sorry, what a dumb question, I’m sure you don’t. Forgive me I’m on medication.
November 16, 2021 10:33PM
Not a whole lot occasional bent nail or one of those nail with the heads that sound good.
I used to think about my iron to treasure ratio a lot. When normal hunting I can call iron a very high percentage of the time.

Now when I am on a site that has been hit hard and something good has come from there I will push the machine to the limit and will chase a few more pieces of iron.

Deus can give new users fits in the iron but when they figure out what it is telling them they will not be chasing a lot of iron.