Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Old tech VS New Tech

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Old tech VS New Tech
May 25, 2022 12:51PM
Ha! I don't even listen to music. Nothing worth listening to. Don't have TV either for the same reason: nothing worth watching. That might surprise ya. Not had one since 2010ish. I'm still aware of current events and get the pop culture references but don't see how people can sit for hours watching stuff on there. I'm outside doing stuff most of the time. I'm 39 and still a kid at heart playing in the dirt.

Dad and I playful banter back and forth about vehicles. He's like Y’all when it comes to newer stuff. Drives an old '86 F150 he bought new. It gets 8 MPG on a good day. He gripes about gas prices and how often he has to put gas in it. I've had to come pick him up on the side of the rd a dozen or more times over the past few years where stuff has broke on it. Can't get new parts for it anymore; everything has to come from out of junk yards. And refuses to get anything even remotely new. He says my truck only gets 13 mpg *more* than his, and that ain't a whole lot to justify a new one.
May 25, 2022 01:13PM
That funny my Dad was same way about the 50s. It does seem after 70s things really changed as far as computer cell phones and economy. Of course people talk about inflation in the 70s but I was in construction and made more in the 70s than any other time so if a person wanted to work it was there. Or the gas shortage but that was like one month for one summer not whole decade like people think.
Anyways it was the time of my life don't think it ever be like that again.
May 25, 2022 03:23PM
The CZ 3D was the unit for old tech that set the benchmark for air test a silver dime. I loved my F75 LTD. It was sparky and fast. I pulled lots of silver out of iron with the 5" coil. My Makro Racer 2 with 5 1/4" oval coil blew my socks off. Super fast for the time and had the right setting for a cherry picker like me. But still the most beloved to me for old is the E Trac. Still addicted to that sweet fluty sound silver makes.
Unfortunately, new tech means it stays in the closet.
As far as new tech I love my Tarsacci for the beach. It knows iron when it sees it even at depth including bottle caps. I don't have to switch between programs to verify anything. I have owed the Deus 2 for a good while and it is as flexible as a MD can be. What I have found and observed watching You Tube videos in test garden environments is if one setting is off even tones you can miss or false ID targets in masking situations It might be to flexible IMHO but that's why I like it. Always something new to try! Reminds me of the V3i in a way. I need a 9" coil for the Deus 2. HH JR
May 25, 2022 07:54PM
Technology has moved on over the years,but just because someone has purchased the latest must have machine that we have been brain washed into getting and in most parts they are not cheap these days.

But the bottom line i still say its the skill set and experience of the operator that gets the maximum performance out of a machine be it new or old technology....of course its nice to own the latest and greatest but skill and experience is just as important and in many ways more so.