Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Beware of the man who knows his detector well...Really???

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Beware of the man who knows his detector well...Really???
November 18, 2021 06:39PM
I have been thinking about this saying for a few years now. I know there are no perfect detectors and we are all limited to how our detector performs.

Should I be beware of a person who uses a detector that has a 4 inch maximum depth?

[youtu.be]
Re: Beware of the man who knows his detector well...Really???
November 18, 2021 06:50PM
Love your (banjo) music!
November 18, 2021 07:38PM
We're ready to make burgers out of that dead horse you've been beating there calabash. I'll have mine cooked medium with horse radish sauce, ketchup and mustard, raw onion and sweet pickles.

You've been ragging on that subject so long, by now you're one of those old timers you've been complaining about. Bustin on ya. . I thought I was funny.lol
November 18, 2021 07:57PM
That's funny ozzie!---Best laugh I've had all month! smiling smiley-------ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We're ready to make burgers out of that dead horse
> you've been beating there calabash. I'll have mine
> cooked medium with horse radish sauce, ketchup and
> mustard, raw onion and sweet pickles.
>
> You've been ragging on that subject so long, by no
> w you're one of those old timers you've been compl
> aining about. Bustin on ya. . I thought I was funn
> y.lol
November 18, 2021 10:21PM
I’m disappointed in myself. I couldn’t find a reason to disagree or argue with you about this video. I agree with ya. But I do have a question fer ya. From one OLE Timer to ANOTHER. How come you always use a Garrett machine as a guinea pig. I’m sure there’s others out there that would fit the bill.
November 18, 2021 10:27PM
My detector stable is low. Plus Garrett machines are pretty easy to pick on for depth and separation test.
November 18, 2021 11:59PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> My detector stable is low. Plus Garrett machines a
> re pretty easy to pick on for depth and separation
> test.

Why not compare detectors that are in the same price range with one another.. I’d dare say a detector that cost 900.00 wood be or should be a better detector than one that cost 500.00. Since you’re in to this why not compare apples to apples. Why keep comparing a Lincoln to a Corolla so to say
November 19, 2021 12:04AM
I do compare detectors in the same price range . Look at the Vanquish, Apex, and Simplex videos.

Lots of people think the Garretts are Lincolns...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2021 12:04AM by calabash digger.
November 19, 2021 12:23AM
calabash digger Wrote:
> I do compare detectors in the same price range . L
> ook at the Vanquish, Apex, and Simplex videos.
>
> Lots of people think the Garretts are Lincolns...

I know I watch all your videos.But you still spend so much effort comparing a 500.00 machine to a much more expensive machines. Why not do one comparing a deus to a tarsacci, etc. or a gpx to something in its price range. It’s always Garrett against the world. By the way, I’ve never owned a garrett detector. You have joined the ole timers club. You just can’t get past the AT Pro for whatever reason

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2021 12:36AM by Bill long.
November 19, 2021 12:53AM
Ohhh, this is getting funnier by tha minute!!!---Hold up a sec while I get more popcorn!smiling smiley---Bill long Wrote:
> calabash digger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I do compare detectors in the same price range .
> L
> > ook at the Vanquish, Apex, and Simplex videos.
> >
> > Lots of people think the Garretts are Lincolns..
> .
>
>
> I know I watch all your videos.But you still spend
> so much effort comparing a 500.00 machine to a muc
> h more expensive machines. Why not do one compari
> ng a deus to a tarsacci, etc. or a gpx to somethi
> ng in its price range. It’s always Garrett against
> the world. By the way, I’ve never owned a garrett
> detector. You have joined the ole timers club. You
> just can’t get past the AT Pro for whatever reason
November 19, 2021 01:01AM
Will be the Deus very soon
November 19, 2021 01:23AM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Will be the Deus very soon

Cal, just wanted to say I appreciate you and enjoy the conversations. You’d be a heck of a good relic hunting buddy smileys with beer
November 19, 2021 12:17PM
Thanks Bill!
November 19, 2021 02:37PM
Quite the thread here.
Um.
Would it be easier to hold a Ford model T in the road at 40 mph or a modern auto?

Some folks like to discuss detector performance (their seeming favorite) with more of what happens that is considered the exception not the rule.

There are detectors that would give borderline iffy signals where another model may give grander signal.
There are detectors that give no signal or iron tone and others that gives nonferrous tone.

There are folks who do use work arounds and indeed can locate nonferrous goodies. Wonder if these same folks are though digging like moles? Or are in an already proven site to hold potential nice goodies. This would be far different using such techniques hunting a blind to the user site.

Some folks care less, some care more as far as their detector potential.
Some folks are non the wiser too. They think their equipment is getting for all practical purposes all detectable.
Anyone who thinks they can take AT Pro to real old colonial house site and supposedly clean it out. Oh well.
It is what some folks and yes even some you tubers DON'T say that is really the most important.

Yeah those Hoover boys may have indeed sold some AT series detectors for Garrett. That's ok by me.
But if that is the only model detectors that has been on some of the site psthey hunt, there is likely more there for sure.
And a person honestly talking about such sites might just should disclose. Unless of course their motives for doing the video is not exactly above board.

All detectors have weakness. This won't change either. But weaknesses can be made somewhat less weak maybe.

Yeah I don't enjoy very much of one off discussions of finds when it comes to detectors. Now daily or more regular results different story. I like to hear about this stuff.

Just remember.
If a consumer or tester of a product keeps sugar coating a product.
This in itself could prove to not make or force a manufacturer to indeed make a better product.

So, best to call balls balls and strikes strikes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2021 02:41PM by tnsharpshooter.
November 19, 2021 03:10PM
Beware of the man who is happy with his detector with 4" depth----he may live a happier life than the man who makes his life miserable trying to make the world "see it my way".
November 19, 2021 03:54PM
just wondering ... when you guys are on a good site, do you just pass on a signal that is iron, for example, (or other trashy signal) because you know it's just iron or do you dig it out because you know it might be masking a desirable target? .. I'm just guessing but, I bet for every good signal dug there is a target masked no matter what detector is being used....the ratio might not be 1 to 1, but you get my point.
November 19, 2021 03:59PM
ScoTTT2 ...... correct thinking-process.
November 19, 2021 04:17PM
ScoTTT2 Wrote:
> just wondering ... when you guys are on a good sit
> e, do you just pass on a signal that is iron, for
> example, (or other trashy signal) because you know
> it's just iron or do you dig it out because you kn
> ow it might be masking a desirable target? .. I'm
> just guessing but, I bet for every good signal dug
> there is a target masked no matter what detector i
> s being used....the ratio might not be 1 to 1, but
> you get my point.

Excellent!
November 19, 2021 04:44PM
ScoTTT2 Wrote:
> you get my point.
This has happened to me on many occasions but one instance stands out, I was rescanning an area that myself and many others had already hunted many times before, I was using an Explorer SE Pro and I came across a shallow zinc penny signal, there are a lot of zinc penny signals in this spot because it is used for the county fair every year, normally I would have just passed on it but for some reason I decided to dig and indeed I recovered a zinc penny about 3 inches down, but what I discovered after that when I rescanned the hole was a shocker! about another 3 inches below the zincoln was a Walking liberty half that screamed at me when I ran the coil over it. Once again this spot had been hunted by many people with about every detector you can think of including me and nobody saw that half dollar until that zinc penny was removed. No detector saw that coin until the obstruction was removed, not even the fast multi's, not even the Deus, I know because I had been over that spot with a Deus. This proved to me in a big way that there are a lot of great finds left in the ground that nobody see's because of masking, even with the advanced tech detectors on the market.
November 19, 2021 05:00PM
ScoTTT2 Wrote:
> you get my point.

Iron, to dig or not to dig, that is the question isn't it?

For me it depends on the site and if I'm going back. Sometimes you may only get one opportunity to detect a site, in that case I tend to be more into cherry picking mode as I have limited time and although removing iron can illuminate new targets or even be interesting targets in itself, it's most often junk and traditionally more of a hindrance in time and digging then anything else so I tend to skip a lot of it until I get a read on the site.
November 19, 2021 06:35PM
I was using iron as an example .. it could just as easily be a chunk of can or the dreaded zincoln or any other signal that represents trash usually (something that could mask a desirable target only inches away) .. but "cherry picking mode" is a good explanation/description of the point I was attempting to make.
November 19, 2021 07:30PM
ScoTTT2 Wrote:
> I was using iron as an example .. it could just as
> easily be a chunk of can or the dreaded zincoln or
> any other signal that represents trash usually (so
> mething that could mask a desirable target only in
> ches away) .. but "cherry picking mode" is a good
> explanation/description of the point I was attempt
> ing to make.

If it's a relic site you're typically digging any conductor. If it's a super hot relic site with coins, you move out the junk as time permits and sure you will eek out a few rewards. Probably won't be a gold coin, but it's another chance smiling smiley

It's all human psyche really. You find a good site, and in the beginning you're unconscientiously conditioned to dig the easy five star four way give me's because they're plentiful in the beginning so why be a hero and risk digging a deep square nail chasing iffy signals when there's plenty of solid signals to chase. Once those thin out, then you find yourself chipping away at the less desirable sounding or TID'ing signals, but there's a lot of eye openers for sure along the way!!
November 19, 2021 07:46PM
Thanks guys.
November 19, 2021 09:15PM
ScoTTT2 Wrote:
>"...it could just as easily be a chunk of can or the dreaded zincoln or
> any other signal that represents trash..."

Even something as small as a staple, per one of Tom's past articles.
November 19, 2021 09:28PM
Yes---and if you don't believe it, do the test.------dave_e Wrote:
> ScoTTT2 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >"...it could just as easily be a chunk of can or
> the dreaded zincoln or
> > any other signal that represents trash..."
>
> Even something as small as a staple, per one of To
> m's past articles.
November 19, 2021 10:26PM
Does any detector even signal on a staple? .. I have found fence staples but never paper staples or construction staples .. either way that is or should be quite humbling .. knowing what is being or could be missed or not knowing. .. and knowing that you do not know.

the lawn pros here are now using a 'super iron' formula to quickly turn the grass a deep blue-green .. great looking lawn but, not so much for the detectorist .. the iron quickly fills into the grass blades.
November 19, 2021 11:50PM
I have coins that are in the protectors that have staples and I have tried to see how they sound and read on my detectors and they definitely sound distorted compared to just a regular coin out of the protector.
November 20, 2021 01:09AM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Should I be beware of a person who uses a detector
> that has a 4 inch maximum depth?

I'm curious why you would beware any other detectorist at all.
November 20, 2021 01:14AM
ScoTTT2 Wrote:
> Does any detector even signal on a staple?

Take an average paper staple, break off one of the legs... a decent PI will easily detect this. It can be maddening on a beach were every tiny shard of a fish hook remnant gives a nice loud response.
November 20, 2021 01:49AM
Thanks Geotech .. I just read your "induction basics" pamphlet today, thanks for that too.