Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is the Legend just a cloned Equinox?

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Is the Legend just a cloned Equinox?
November 23, 2021 01:37PM
Ya'll got Dilek fired up about this copying talk. She did a whole video rant about it on their Facebook page but the points she brought up about it, totally missed what people are saying.

Her biggest point was insinuating that the copy talk was just on the Legend being a SMF machine. Most people already knew that other manufacturers have SMF machines. That wasn't what people are referencing when it comes to the copying. It has more to do with the looks, mode names, and even the replication of the Minelab tones.

That has been the thing with Makro. Up to this point they have largely followed what everybody else already had on the market and just made their version of that. I don't guess there's anything wrong with that but what people are calling them out for now is lack of originality. If you're going to be a leader in the industry, give us something we've not seen anything like...something that the competition will want to make copies of. That's how you know you've became a leader. It's easy to be a follower...just wait on the leader to make a move and copy that. Makro never has gotten to that point where other manufacturers are copying their designs.
November 23, 2021 01:45PM
November 23, 2021 02:14PM
Had to turn it off, it sounded like pitch tone and a max recovery speed of 10.
November 23, 2021 02:15PM
No rocks should be thrown......until its real-World performance 'speaks'.
November 23, 2021 02:35PM
" my machine is so good, I've only had 7 fail ... mine too, the best, I've only had 2 fail"
..I've worked at two plastics factories, as a material handler and QC inspector .. at both places, a sonic weld crack would be fixed at the factory, quickly, before a production run is made .. it is an easy fix/adjustment and the faulty parts would be put into a reject bin, never to leave the floor. On a metal detector these weld cracks around an insert only need to exclude water/dust .. if that is the intention .. where as, on other things, the inserts are structural and the cracking could be dangerous.
November 24, 2021 03:34AM
I am gonna put my rocks back in my pocket for a few days and see how this all plays out....

I do have a
question. Will the Legend OBSOLETE the Anfibio and Kruzer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 03:35AM by calabash digger.
November 24, 2021 03:35PM
We'll see if the 'rocks' need to be BOULDERS!!!!........ or gold nuggets & diamonds!
Let's always give any Mfr a fair shake.
November 24, 2021 04:19PM
Owned the Racer 2 and the Gold and while they have some neat usable options, with the stock coil I was not impressed with the depth. The Racer 2 with the 51/4" oval coil was the ticket in heavy iron. Pulled a lot of silver in spots that needed the fast response separation and descrimination. Light weight and balanced with no issues of build quality.
November 24, 2021 05:24PM
well you can always go back to those impressive tech updates from
the big players in the industry and simply look forward to some new
boxes and stickers ...

The Legend seems to have made 'common sense' obsolete -
November 29, 2021 04:22AM
Might do well to consider that their main target consumer may not be "pros" who want 80 tones and are willing to put in 100's of hours to get good at it and discover combinations of semi hidden nuances that will allow them to discern a bottlecap from a gold ring at 14".
In fact I sold my nox because I felt I was wasting time with the learning curve while I could be out there finding stuff with the limited time I have to detect with much cheaper machines that I know, including the Simplex and Ace 400. I literally found multiple gold rings at a beach just a couple weeks ago with 2 guys ahead of me with Nox's who gridded off the entire beach by dragging their scoops, I came behind them with my lowly 400 and cleaned up.

Its a mindset, and whatever you want to make of it is a fact. The more dings, the more swings, the more rings. Also noticed these guys were really rushing to comb the entire beach, and from what I recall, the Nox while deep seeking lacks in recovery speed [maybe there are find tweaks to cure this] ,, But that combined with their poor overlaps cost them ,, Also saw one guy spend a full 20 minutes trying to recover a target, that is just unacceptable. So alot of hunting scenarios I find that a highly tweakable, deep seeking machine is actually counter productive. The simple Ace is an absolute metal magnet, love its simplicity, sensitivity and top notch recovery speed ,, But very true, won't be finding any rings deeper than 7" or so, but at a beach, I don't need to.

So maybe, not sure, a good chunk of their target consumer are guys like me, and/of folks even more casual and non demanding, who want some decent features without blowing $1k to get it. In most cases and with most tools, the operator is the most important factor ,, And the tool is only ever as good as its operator. Some of you guys, nay most, are great operators, though there is always room for improvement, I trust you will agree. Put a great machine in a great operator hands and thats a potent combo, but again [I am just blabbing here on a tangent], I think that is a relatively uncommon combo, or shall I say, there probably aren't all that many guys in this hobby who feel they simply must have the best, and will pay near anything to get it, so companies must adjust their marketing accordingly. Better a very good machine that sells very well than a great machine catering to a small and fickle niche who will drop you in the dirt when the next greatest thing comes down the pike.

I feel that I am a very good operator, well above average, and I grant that maybe I am missing out by refusing to learn higher end, complex machines - Maybe thats what stops me from being "great", who knows ? ,, But I am happy with what I find and I enjoy detecting and, bottom line, that right there is the name of the game.
November 29, 2021 02:33PM
How does a company make a metal detector that doesn't LOOK like a metal detector--you know, so that they can become a "leader"
November 29, 2021 03:33PM
Doc that's not that hard to figure out.

You're either following or leading.

The latest machine I know of that is leading, is the Tarsacci. Nothing out there like it. It has it's own unique look, sounds, and behaves like nothing else on the market.

Before that, it was XP with the Deus. Lightning fast, wireless, ability to change frequencies, etc.

Then I would give the nod to Garrett with the AT series for making an affordable waterproof machine. Now basically the industry standard is that even entry level machines are water proof.

Minelab hit it with their Explorer series and the signature tones and CO/FE target ID, coupled with SFM.

Note I didn't say the Equinox because I sort of see it a Minelab competitor to the Deus. It sped the slowness of the Explorers up, and put it in a light weight package. Even though it's a competitor machine...they didn't go straight to the Deus platform and rip it off in look and sounds. That's the difference there.

They're all still coils on a shaft but each LEADER machine sets a new standard that the others all try to duplicate. Look at the current body style Toyota Tundra...it had a signature look and body that was a huge seller. Then here came Ford and Chevy...you have to read the brand on the tailgate just to tell the 3 apart now.
November 29, 2021 04:19PM
The Toyota Tundra has a signature look---please explain.It actually looks like a 1956 Studebaker truck.
November 29, 2021 08:46PM
ford sold it's first pick ups in 1917 .. the very next model year 1918 chevy had a pick up in its line up... toyota came along in the late 1950s, not selling trucks until 1964, though.
November 29, 2021 09:21PM
I was actually thinking of the Tacoma but my phone auto corrected it to Tundra (I drive a Tundra). Why would I have to explain its look? There's millions of them on the road. Ford had even completely dropped the mid size Ranger truck, and then brought it back to the US market to compete with the Tacoma. Side by side they are almost clones of one another (I know because we bought a 2021 for the wife and we drove and compared them a lot). But I think it's all beating the air discussing all that. You're just wanting something to argue about. You ignored all the detector examples I gave anyway. You're one of the reasons I quit posting here to begin with. I remember why now. You never have any post to contribute with; just a bunch of short snide comments about stuff or people you don't like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2021 09:22PM by Daniel Tn.
November 29, 2021 10:23PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------Don't let him drive you off Daniel--we need a few good guys on this forum--so many have left.----At least he responds to YOUR posts.---
> I was actually thinking of the Tacoma but my phone
> auto corrected it to Tundra (I drive a Tundra). Wh
> y would I have to explain its look? There's millio
> ns of them on the road. Ford had even completely
> dropped the mid size Ranger truck, and then brough
> t it back to the US market to compete with the Tac
> oma. Side by side they are almost clones of one an
> other (I know because we bought a 2021 for the wif
> e and we drove and compared them a lot). But I th
> ink it's all beating the air discussing all that.
> You're just wanting something to argue about. You
> ignored all the detector examples I gave anyway. Y
> ou're one of the reasons I quit posting here to be
> gin with. I remember why now. You never have any p
> ost to contribute with; just a bunch of short snid
> e comments about stuff or people you don't like.
November 30, 2021 01:19PM
I am in the market for a truck so I was asking for some insight--sorry I ruffled your feathers.
November 30, 2021 02:07PM
Just because it's SMF doesn't mean it's the same.

In a couple years we'll know more about what's in XP, Nokta Makro, Garrett, and Minelab's SMF secret sauce.

Then we can really dissect and compare their recipes.

I speculate they're all differently engineered and therefore will beat each other in very specific, identifiable, and measurable situations.

Discussions of those situations are what make this site the best. The discussions.
Real enthusiasts postulating, then testing, then measuring, then tweaking, then re-measuring, then sharing that information.

Does real chili have beans?
Who puts syrup on mush?
I hate the tones of the Minelab bagpipe!

That noise should live on Facebook and Youtube rants.

Note here. Not with us.
December 01, 2021 01:00AM
If I could redo this post I would have done it different. I would have called the post.... Will the Legend beat the Equinox in detecting performance?

If it does then Nokta should be called King because they passed the Giant Minelab with their first try.
December 01, 2021 01:26AM
doc holiday Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am in the market for a truck so I was asking for
> some insight--sorry I ruffled your feathers.

Well Doc,
I have bought a new Toyota Tacoma. I love it. 2022. My bud just bought a new 2021 Tundra few months ago. He loves my Tacoma.
This truck is my if I am counting right, 14th new vehicle I have bought. I traded in all the new ones I bought previously except for the next to last one. A 2004 Tacoma. I juat sold it before acquiring this 2022 Tacoma.
What did I buy new before this 2022 Tacoma.
1983 Nissan 200 SX
1985 Nissan 4x4 truck.
1989 V6 Toyota 4x4 truck extended cab
1991 Toyota 4x4 truck.
1994 Potiac Friebird with the corvette engine.
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
1996 1/2 dodge ram truck 4x4.
1996 Toyota forerunner.
1996 dodge Cummings dodge extended cab 4x4
1998 Checrolet Tahoe 4x 4
19981/2 dodge Cummings 4x4 extended cab.
2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2014 Honda CR-V all wheel drive

This 2022 Tacoma. Best vehicle to date IMO I have bought new.
I did a short video on it few days ago after I drive it home last Wednesday.
Some of those vehicles listed above cost more than this Tacoma did last week. Way back when I bought them.
This truck should be a metal detectors dream setup especially with the lockable cover on the bed.
SEE video below. Rated to tow 6400 pounds. Most sport boats fall in here. Trailers with side by sides and ATVs too.
Good luck getting one of these.
Seems all are sold epbefore they are unloaded at dealerships.

Base truck might sound cheesy. Better think again About this one. And no I am not talking this truck up because I bought one. It is the real deal!!!

Btw, the 2022 tundras. They look like @#$%& if you ask me. Grill is way too big. 2021 tundras look better IMO.

[m.youtube.com]

Btw, I have a friend who has a 2021 ford ranger 4x4. I wouldn't trade my new Tacoma for 2 of those ford Rangers. No comparison!! IMO.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2021 01:53AM by tnsharpshooter.
December 01, 2021 01:42AM
Calabash, if you ever get out to CA, look me up. Would LOVE to "duel" with you in some deep-silver junky park tests. smoking smiley
December 01, 2021 02:10AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> doc holiday Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I am in the market for a truck so I was asking f
> or
> > some insight--sorry I ruffled your feathers.
>
>
> Well Doc,
> I have bought a new Toyota Tacoma. I love it. 20
> 22. My bud just bought a new 2021 Tundra few mont
> hs ago. He loves my Tacoma.
> This truck is my if I am counting right, 14th new
> vehicle I have bought. I traded in all the new on
> es I bought previously except for the next to last
> one. A 2004 Tacoma. I juat sold it before acquir
> ing this 2022 Tacoma.
> What did I buy new before this 2022 Tacoma.
> 1983 Nissan 200 SX
> 1985 Nissan 4x4 truck.
> 1989 V6 Toyota 4x4 truck extended cab
> 1991 Toyota 4x4 truck.
> 1994 Potiac Friebird with the corvette engine.
> 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
> 1996 1/2 dodge ram truck 4x4.
> 1996 Toyota forerunner.
> 1996 dodge Cummings dodge extended cab 4x4
> 1998 Checrolet Tahoe 4x 4
> 19981/2 dodge Cummings 4x4 extended cab.
> 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
> 2014 Honda CR-V all wheel drive
>
> This 2022 Tacoma. Best vehicle to date IMO I have
> bought new.
> I did a short video on it few days ago after I dri
> ve it home last Wednesday.
> Some of those vehicles listed above cost more than
> this Tacoma did last week. Way back when I bought
> them.
> This truck should be a metal detectors dream setup
> especially with the lockable cover on the bed.
> SEE video below. Rated to tow 6400 pounds. Most
> sport boats fall in here. Trailers with side by s
> ides and ATVs too.
> Good luck getting one of these.
> Seems all are sold epbefore they are unloaded at d
> ealerships.
>
> Base truck might sound cheesy. Better think again
> About this one. And no I am not talking this truc
> k up because I bought one. It is the real deal!!!
>
> Btw, the 2022 tundras. They look like @#$%& if yo
> u ask me. Grill is way too big. 2021 tundras loo
> k better IMO.
>
> [m.youtube.com]
>
> Btw, I have a friend who has a 2021 ford ranger 4x
> 4. I wouldn't trade my new Tacoma for 2 of those
> ford Rangers. No comparison!! IMO.

I have a 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 and absolutely love it. But I'm 6'4" with size 17 shoes and the Tacoma was the most uncomfortable truck I've ever test drove. No where near the leg room and seat was lower to the floor. I like Toyota but they need some adult sized autos . My Ranger drives better and has exactly the same leg room as my 2018 f150 does.
December 01, 2021 09:23AM
You know the ole saying don't fix it if it ain't broken.
Yota owns 42 percent of the market share according even to the competition. And outsells ford midsized trucks almost 3 to 1.
Is this by accident? Don't think so.
Sounds like the adults at Ford better get busy.
Those yota rice burners are bad azz. Bring a fortune too with even 100,000 miles on.

[fordauthority.com]
December 01, 2021 10:30AM
I'm still daily driving my 22yr old Land Rover Defender lol, 12 seater 185bhp and 3.5t towing capacity!
You should import a few of them as i believe they sell for big money in the US.

tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> You know the ole saying don't fix it if it ain't b
> roken.
> Yota owns 42 percent of the market share according
> even to the competition. And outsells ford midsiz
> ed trucks almost 3 to 1.
> Is this by accident? Don't think so.
> Sounds like the adults at Ford better get busy.
> Those yota rice burners are bad azz. Bring a fort
> une too with even 100,000 miles on.
>
> [fordauthority.com]
> s-numbers-figures-results-second-quarter-q2-2021/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2021 10:33AM by ghound.
December 01, 2021 11:39AM
Last Feb I traded my big 2009 Chev 3/4 ton HD in for my first non American truck. I retired a couple years ago so I don't need the load or the hauling capacity of my Chev . . . I really liked that truck. Anyway, I picked up a used 2020 Tacoma Sport, only had 5000 miles. I'm still learning the accessories on this truck.You can put your phone on this little deck and it will charge it . . unless it's an old Apple 5 like mine, lol. Cameras all around,getting use to that, cool though.

It rides nice and quiet. I like the back cover with a tailgate that locks. The back seating area folds up for plenty of room for detectors, fishing rods and golf clubs all at the same time. The width of the truck is perfect for the length of my MDT. . it fits snugly across I can seat belt it in too. I cant say anything bad about this truck it's also good in the snow. It doesn't have the raw power the Chev had but it is good enough. If you jump on it, it will rocket ship you with a g force down the road. With the Chev, you didn't have to tromp down on the gas for it to take off, it had 360 horses.

My wife urged me to trade in the big Chev, she was right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2021 11:40AM by ozzie.
December 01, 2021 12:24PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> You know the ole saying don't fix it if it ain't b
> roken.
> Yota owns 42 percent of the market share according
> even to the competition. And outsells ford midsiz
> ed trucks almost 3 to 1.
> Is this by accident? Don't think so.
> Sounds like the adults at Ford better get busy.
> Those yota rice burners are bad azz. Bring a fort
> une too with even 100,000 miles on.
>
> [fordauthority.com]
> s-numbers-figures-results-second-quarter-q2-2021/

Reliability is down on the new Tacoma . Ford had no mid size truck in the USA for 8 or 9 years and GM has crap for smaller trucks. I've owed several Toyotas , 2 new Tundras and a new Celica GT for the wife years ago. The Tundra doesn't have the leg room and my head always hit the upper door jam getting in and out. They just don't make them for taller guys . My nephew bought a new tundra and had to trade it in a year later due to uncomfortable to drive. Yes they are reliable, but comfort has to play a part in the buying process. So a Ranger the has a twin turbo 4cyl and 10 speed transmission that tows 7500lbs is fine. The ranger is definitely quicker than the Tacoma. It came with a hard cover with locking tailgate and a bumper to bumper 100k unlimited years warranty. I don't know which is better but I know which one is the only one I can drive without hurting. I've been on a few Toyota forums and they are having quite a few problems out of the newer Tacoma. So idk. They are still selling alot on their reputation.
December 01, 2021 01:16PM
As a mid-size pickup, I LOVE my Honda Ridgeline...it's another one to consider IMO.

Steve

December 01, 2021 01:54PM
steveg Wrote:
> As a mid-size pickup, I LOVE my Honda Ridgeline...
> it's another one to consider IMO.
>
> Steve
>
>

Very nice ! Unfortunately I have few options since I'm such a big guy. Tall and big 40" waist and 56" chest so the seats have to be wide also. I drove a Honda Ridgeline and loved it except not enough room for me. Honda and Toyota definitely have reputation of dependable autos.
December 01, 2021 02:47PM
My dad has a 2012 Tacoma access cab with a 6 cyl. It's a decent truck for them as it's just two people and they can use the access cab back seat for stuff. They haul their boat with it to the lake and although it does pull it...it's not easy on the gas while doing it. It actually gulps it.

When we were looking for my wife a new one, the Tacoma was our #1 choice. We build the parts that go in them where I work and get a big discount on them. We were looking into the crew cab size though instead of the access cab and of course this comes at the expense of a small bed. I didn't mind that so much...but what I DID NOT like was...that truck had zero zip to it. While test driving it, I couldn't even get it up to merging speed from the freeway entrance ramp with the pedal matted to the floor. It was just very sluggish. I made sure and asked the sales guy that it for sure had the V6 in it because the Tacoma does come in a V4 option. It was a V6...I was really surprised. The extra cab space must really bog it down.

We went literally up the road to the Ford place and spotted a bright red Ranger sitting there. Looking it over...it had more room in it vs the Tacoma we had just drove. I asked the sales guy what engine it had...he said it had a Turbo V4...which immediately turned me OFF. After just driving a similar sized truck in a V6, I didn't even consider one with a V4 but he insisted I give this one a shot. We did...same free way entrance ramp and HOLY CRAP I had to let off it because I was running over 80 before we got to the end of it. The Ranger has ZERO slug about it. None. I was all grins by the time we got through test driving it and I swapped to let my wife drive it. Needless to say it came home with us. We didn't buy it to pull my boat with but I wanted to see how it did pulling something...it does FAR better than dad's Tacoma. Pulls the boat like it's not even there and sips the gas while doing it. I have a 2002 Tundra 4x4 with the 4.7 V8 and that Turbo 4 pulls my boat better than the Tundra. I really like it a lot; and you can nearly buy 2 of them for what a similar packaged Tacoma costs. Tacoma has more bells and whistles inside like the cameras, alarms, etc but the Ranger has the backup camera and that's all you really need. The rest is for show IMO. If I had to go buy a new truck for myself today, hands down it would be another Ranger.
December 01, 2021 03:06PM
The 2022 tundra has a mean tough look though.