Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The Legend: single frequency vs smf?

Posted by sawbuck 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The Legend: single frequency vs smf?
November 23, 2021 04:55PM
In the video, Dilek said that sometimes single frequency is better than multi frequency or something to that effect.But, she didn't mention
where single frequency would be better. Any ideas where that would be? Is single frequency deeper? Just wondering.
Thanks,
sawbuck
Re: The Legend: single frequency vs smf?
November 23, 2021 07:07PM
sawbuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the video, Dilek said that sometimes single fre
> quency is better than multi frequency or something
> to that effect.But, she didn't mention
> where single frequency would be better. Any ideas
> where that would be? Is single frequency deeper? J
> ust wondering.
> Thanks,
> sawbuck

Well Not on a salt beach for sure!
JCR
November 23, 2021 07:27PM
It seems the newer SMF detectors are closing in on any advantage the single frequency detectors have held. Raw depth, handling ferrous trash & high mineralization and precise discrimination are traditional strengths of single frequency. EMI has also been less of a problem. I am hoping the new Legend & Deus II jump ahead in many areas, especially EMI elimination and TID at depth & in heavy mineralization.

Chris
November 23, 2021 07:41PM
In short, certain freqs respond better to certain materials. For example, high freqs respond well to gold, low freqs respond better to silver. While using SMF, you are getting the positives of each freq, and the negatives as well. Example, 4KHZ is great for deep silver, but small foil tends to read like silver at that freq. Now, SMF sort of corrects that by the other freqs providing a more stable ID. If you notice on the Nox if you just clip the edge of a pull tab, you may get a high tone the first sweep, after that the tone drops after continual sweeps.

"It's only when we lost everything, that we are free to do anything"
November 23, 2021 08:19PM
"She didn't mention where single frequency would be better"
Echo the previous post. If you use 5kHz, don't forget you're NOT getting the high-frequency targets so well, like foil, whereas a Multi-freq mode is likely ( depending on how the designers made it ) to still respond to foil .
November 23, 2021 09:06PM
I don't nugget hunt but wouldn't it be better to hunt Nuggets in single freq?
November 23, 2021 10:41PM
Multi frequency can be very susceptible to EMI. If you can single out which frequency is causing the most trouble by cycling through the single frequencies, then you could switch to a single frequency and mitigate a lot of the chatter. I wish someone would add a feature to turn off the offending frequency and keep hunting with the others.
JCR
November 24, 2021 01:12AM
Dilek mentioned and the NM website states on the Legend you can "easily" get rid of EMI. That seems the boldest claim to me. I hoping it is no exaggeration. That would be a huge breakthrough.

Chris
November 24, 2021 01:26AM
If the Legend has a noise cancel feature like the Equinox does then you are basically dealing with EMI for a very brief period of time. Like a snapshot compared to a movie. Tom has discussed this many times. Many believe that if they don't hear EMI in the headphones there isn't any. That really isn't the reality of what is happening to your detector.
November 24, 2021 01:42AM
Using EQX, noise cancel picks best channel. Does this best channel have no emi affecting it? Maybe or maybe not. Will a person's ears be able to tell them if emi is present with static, odd tones, etc ? Maybe. But just because you don't hear anything that sounds like emi doesn't mean none is preset.

Fact.
I have been swinging EQx in a controlled setting on deeper target. And get very good signal. And all of a sudden signal goes bye bye or gets distorted or becomes less stellar.. This in rural area. Many times aircraft are approaching.

Noise cancel hence may not get rid of Emi. Plus noise cancel use picks channels based on what is sensed at time noise cancel is done. Things can change quick. Yep a person using any vlf detector could sweep right over a deeper nice find ( within possible depth parameters of detector model/ coil used) and not detect. And sweep later and bam!!!

Will a Legend be any different? Well if Nokta Makro has found a way to eliminate all emi all the time then this would be a definite industry leader/ breakthrough.

Naturally I haven't used a Legend.

May or may not use one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 01:48AM by tnsharpshooter.