Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

OPTIONAL COILS

Posted by Nokta Detectors 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
OPTIONAL COILS
November 24, 2021 02:29PM
Question to those who are interested in the machine:
What other coil options would you be interested in other than the 11'' standard, 6'' round and 13'' DD optional coils we currently have? Please mention exact size, shape and DD /concentric.
Re: OPTIONAL COILS
November 24, 2021 02:40PM
I never tried the 6" on the NOX but most said it didn't help from the post I read.
I will be waiting to see what people find your 6" coil does.
I think you have a good selection of coils already for it.

I would wait to you release it and see what kind of feedback you get and what users are looking for and finding out about the machine. Then you will know what coils could help in the type of hunting the users are doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 02:54PM by GreenMeanie.
November 24, 2021 02:46PM
I personally would have preferred the small coil to have been smaller, approx 5 inch / 125mm round, and solid, rather than the open spider style. Basically the same as the 5 inch coil that Fisher/Teknetics make for many of their machines.

As this seems unlikely now, one product that would be useful is a 'solid' coil cover for the 6 inch open coil. Small coils are often used on farmland with crop stubble, and in rough terrain, with bushes, branches, other vegetation, that foul on the open coil designs. The option of closing off the coil bottom is a good choice to have.
November 24, 2021 03:19PM
I would like to see an 8" or 9" open round concentric coil if possible or dd. Also an open 5x9.5dd coil.
November 24, 2021 03:20PM
5X10" DD
JCR
November 24, 2021 03:44PM
If you will duplicate the lineup that is compatible with the Anfibio series you will do well. The KR18C, AF23C, KR24 & KR13 are essential to me.

Chris
November 24, 2021 03:47PM
5X10 DD
November 24, 2021 04:09PM
Looking from the opposite direction: I would not go above 13"...... because depth (on coin-sized objects) starts to diminish.
Looking from the opposite direction again: elliptical coils lose accurate ID at the deeper depths (over round-DD coils)...... because the narrower footprint electromagnetic lines of flux have a more difficult time seeing flat objects....like coins/buttons/tokens.......ESPECIALLY if they are tilted (or.....even worse: on-edge). . . . . . . . even though elliptical-DD coils can separate adjacent targets better.
November 24, 2021 04:22PM
Oval coils seem to be more sensitive to gold so 5x10 for the dry sand areas.
November 25, 2021 06:08PM
Nokta Detectors Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question to those who are interested in the machin
> e:
> What other coil options would you be interested in
> other than the 11'' standard, 6'' round and 13'' D
> D optional coils we currently have? Please mention
> exact size, shape and DD /concentric.

^^^^^ THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS COMPANY!!

We definitely need a 5x10 closed loop design DD for the Legend, it could be Legendary smileys with beer
JCR
November 25, 2021 06:15PM
Perhaps if the coils themselves were open frame and an optional closed/solid coil cover was offered it would be the best of both worlds. I know that I personally prefer an open coil to help me pin point a target.(I rarely use the pin point button) by cross sweeping.

Chris
November 25, 2021 09:31PM
4 x 16 dd coil like the tesoro company used to make. They are not real deep but can cover alot of ground in search of shallower coins in a short amount of time.
November 25, 2021 09:39PM
It seems that all of those posting replies are in agreement. One of every size.
November 26, 2021 01:11AM
5x10 please
November 26, 2021 07:50AM
Requires a reel suitable for work in trashy areas, like a beach. Size about 5x10 ". It should also be optimized for small items of gold, and ideally even for bits of gold.
There should also be a coil optimized for treasure hunting and for working in depth on a wide range of targets. It should be completely round and should be 13 "in size.
November 26, 2021 07:36PM
I would like to see an 8" or 9" open round concentric coil if possible or dd. Also an open 5x9.5dd coil. Also a 5" or 6" concentric would be amazing. Heres an idea. How bout make a super light weight 13" coil. Maybe some type of carbon fiber based coil that keeps it super light. Lots of users take real good care of equipment even if it would be a bit fragile. I think people would still buy it. Maybe its not possible or a dumb idea. The carbon fiber shafts seem super strong. Maybe its the internal parts that make them to heavy and I am looking at it all wrong. Just a thought.
November 26, 2021 07:42PM
Kickindirt -- the internals of the coil are largely copper wire "windings," so to speak; that's where most of the weight comes from...

Steve
November 26, 2021 09:06PM
steveg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kickindirt -- the internals of the coil are largel
> y copper wire "windings," so to speak; that's wher
> e most of the weight comes from...
>
> Steve

Thanks bro that's what I thought but wasn't sure.
November 26, 2021 09:15PM
I'm sure there are some things that can be done to keep weight down (the Equinox coils, for one, seem pretty light for their size -- but I also think that may possibly be part of why the EQX coil ear issue exists...i.e. trying to use as little plastic as possible in an attempt to minimize weight, but I'm just speculating there).
November 26, 2021 09:35PM
Regarding coil weight:

There is a modest amount of copper in a search-coil, but it's not a major part of the total weight. The plastic body needs to be pretty stiff, so isn't made with a thin-walled structure. It's also generally a fair bit larger than the wire bundle. This is partly related to increasing the stiffness, but I understand the shielding ( often graphite paint on the inner surface of the plastic housing ) works better if it's some distance away from the wires. ( possibly related to electrical noise created by the shield; possibly so the small currents induced in the graphite are kept low ). Then you've got the additional weight of stiffening ribs, clevis ears, the cable itself & strain-relief clamp.

I've made a couple of searchcoils, so I'll try and work out some weights as real-world examples, and update this post.

I also have the remains of a Deus Large coil, sectioned through the windings. As I can't post pics here, I'll describe:
Transmit coil winding:
copper area = 4mm x 4mm; total housing size = 14mm x 17mm; so the copper area = 7%
Measurements show the copper weight is 35%

Receive coil winding:
copper area = 2mm x 4.5mm ; total housing size = 13mm x 17mm; so copper area = 4%
Measurements show the copper weight is 20%

Obviously copper is denser than plastic / filler resin / hard foam, etc, probably 4 times denser, but the numbers show that maybe 15 - 20% of the coil weight is copper, allowing for all the other bits.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2021 12:10AM by Pimento.
November 27, 2021 01:03AM
Pimento, thanks for the info. If you are correct on your percentages of the coil weight that are due to the copper wire windings, then I stand corrected.

Steve
Re: OPTIONAL COILS - Bigfoot!
December 02, 2021 03:25PM
Bigfoot style modeled after the Razorback Beach Hog. 22”x5” x 3/4” or thinner. Symmetrical airfoil cross section coil. Since I have your attention, are your coils electrically locked to the detector or would we be able to make or adapt our own to it? Btw, can be split8 or DD - you may need absolute value algorithm to process the signal.
There is no multi-freq detector that has a Bigfoot type coil for it and we can’t adapt one because of the security lockout. A Bigfoot is awesome at the beach: just the depth you need, excellent targeting using the signal dropout under the tip. Airfoil shape let’s you skim it over the thin water as fast as you can run. Yours would be the only discriminating Bigfoot on the planet. Wake up Minelab!!
Make one of these and I’ll probably buy the machine. Otherwise I have too many machines already and nobody’s finding targets anymore…