Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

V3i Question

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
V3i Question
August 02, 2011 02:53PM
Using my friends V3i and want to try it relic hunitng to really see what it can or can't do...on my G2 horse shoes and axe heads come in at 70 so it is easy to dig and I get a nice tone not a iron grunt...it seems on the V3i the same targets come in at a negative VDI and so the span of numbers is vast. It would seem to me that I would dig way more targets and iron on this machine my buddy lent me..Thinking the V3 is a park hunter and coin shooter a school hunter but for Calif relics it seems to be not even on par with the G2 or Gold Bug...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: V3i Question
August 02, 2011 08:28PM
And here I have a G2....I have not even tried.....If somebody would tell me where to relic hunt(hint...hint)...I would try it............In Sac!
August 02, 2011 08:30PM
Are you running it in single high freq or particularly paying attention to the high freq data if in multi?
August 02, 2011 09:34PM
Not sure I understand what your question is, but...may try setting up the iron range you want to dig to tone id(higher tone) above iron grunt levels - and/or hunt in all metal and use vdi to id range you wanna dig or accept all vdi - zero tones what you don't wanna dig - and assign whatever tones you want to ranges you wanna dig. Hope you find something that works for ya! gl and hh
August 03, 2011 01:44AM
What I am saying is the G2 is a no brainer all the horse shoes and axe heads hit in the upper numbers on the V3 it can be anywhere and that means a lot more digging.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

August 03, 2011 08:11AM
If iron objects hit in the iron range, what is the problem? If the VID's are jumpy, that I can understand. If iron objects hit in the positive range, that rather seems like a problem. Now for you, it's a good problem as it's your sought target.

I guess stick with the G2 if it works for you, but you are going to lose some depth probably (not a biggy as the iron you are hunting is big).

What BuckeyBrad said needs looking into though. You know the V3i can be tweeked, so playing with it is important. Also, I'd try the filters at 5 band and 5 high as they hit iron harder (I've found and read) than the other filters. It doesn't appear that many people are reporting using the V3i for relics (compared to coins) so perhaps you are on to something.
August 03, 2011 01:24PM
I'm a bit surprised that you're counting on relatively high conductive target ID's for determining iron targets. If this is what you're saying you're seeing, I'm also a bit surprised that the ID numbers of the large iron isn't showing a relatively wide range, especially as you work the edges of the target. FWIW, no matter what detector I use in a relic hunting situation and I'm interested in recovering the larger iron artifacts, I go by sizing first and ID second. All I was implying in my first response to you is that the 3i would most emulate the characteristics of the G2 if it was set to single high freq and running the D2 coil. If I was wanting to actually compare the two in how they ID large iron, that would be the first place I'd start. If using multi, then the signagraph and the variation of the three individual frequency responses to the target should more than just hint the target is ferrous. One other thing.....when you see those "70" ID's, is it safe to assume that you're paying attention to the Fe3O4 gauge to see it spike higher when over those axes and horseshoes than it will for a true higher conductive non-ferrous target? Have you also confirmed that your Fe3O4 readout is active in the correct operating mode? As Keith has already reported, there sre some units out there with the signal strength and Fe3O4 readouts live in the opposite operating mode than what they should be.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2011 02:43PM by BuckeyeBrad.
August 04, 2011 03:24PM
OH boy I am spoiled. The G2 and gold bug hit the targets I mentioned as a high VDI remember that you have a split tone on the G2 and so most relics come in above +30 so that kind of iron horse shoes axe heads and old tools back from the day read higher so if you dig all targets above 35 then in comes those iron targets you want to dig..I will set up a test on my finds and see what the V3 VDI numbers hit on again..I will do that ASAP and then do the same with the G2 and maybe shoot a video..

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]