Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Iron vs aluminum

Posted by Bill long 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Iron vs aluminum
December 23, 2021 11:32PM
Which one of these trash targets is champion of masking the good targets?
JCR
Re: Iron vs aluminum
December 24, 2021 01:46AM
I can sort through Iron more effectively but it seems to have a bigger masking shadow. Aluminum is more annoying though because I will still usually dig it & it is never interesting.

Chris
December 24, 2021 02:48AM
My guess would be aluminum. You can sometimes get a one way hit on a non ferrous target next to iron. Pull tabs and small foil will almost always mask non ferrous targets. The frequency used also plays a small part in this as well.
December 24, 2021 03:25PM
my guess is that it would be mostly site specific .. with that, the places where Aluminum is the culprit, I usually dig it because it hits so similar to something that could be a good target ... where as many times iron is discriminated out and you wouldn't hear what you are missing...and if you don't discriminate it out and you do hear it, you just keep going assuming it is just a iron report
December 30, 2021 02:58AM
Iron.....of same mass & size..... (apples-to-apples)....... is more debilitating vs non-ferrous trash.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., in 'masking' a good target.

(((Tarsacci is somewhat starting to change this condition/phenomenon....a little bit))).
December 30, 2021 12:58PM
It's definitely site-specific.
Here in the U.K, our parks are usually created on what was previously agricultural land, so there's plenty of iron there from the start, before the modern-day deposition of loads of aluminium foil, ringpulls, cans, canslaw, bottle-tops. ( and steel cans/canslaw, steel bottle-tops ). Not to mention the low-value nickel-plated steel coins, that read as steel-plated steel to a detector.
December 30, 2021 05:14PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Iron.....of same mass & size..... (apples-to-apple
> s)....... is more debilitating vs non-ferrous tras
> h.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., in 'masking' a good target.
>
> (((Tarsacci is somewhat starting to change this co
> ndition/phenomenon....a little bit))).

Tom I assume you saw the test Calabash did with the aluminum foil over a coin and the D2 was able to detect it. I assume if it had been a sheet of similarly sized and thickness iron or steel, the coin would be a no go.
December 30, 2021 09:55PM
Hi Brian,

No...... I did not. Some of calabash's posts (or reposts by TNSS)....... require you to sign-up & sign-in........... of which I have not done.
December 31, 2021 01:20AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Brian,
>
> No...... I did not. Some of calabash's posts (or reposts by TNSS)....... require you to sign-up & sign-in........... of which I have not done.

Tom I believe this link should be accessible without having to sign-in/up: [youtu.be]

I'd certainly be curious to hear your take on the test.
December 31, 2021 02:12AM
Ok. Just watched the video. (((No....... I had not seen this particular one before))). Several things: calabash has a very steady hand. You can tell (by the video).....that there is a very narrow band of detection of the Barber Quarter. calabash demonstrates this very clearly/precisely. He even states: edge of the coil.
There is an:
- exacting coil height,
- exacting "clipping" of the TIP of the coil
- exacting coil sweep speed
tiny window of acceptability/detection.

Notice when the coil is (initially) swept over the top (center) of the foil..... in normal sweep fashion. , . , . , . the silver Quarter is not detected. Then when calabash pulls the coil away from the foil........and only the TIP of the coil is in close proximity of the foil........then (and only then)....can the composite mass (and subsequent conductivity) ....break through the squelch. This behavior is exactly VLF behavior......(SMF.... or otherwise). Per physics principality. You can take nearly any old style analog VLF detector and do the same. For example..... take an old 1265X/1266X platform.......and JUST BARELY disc out the aluminum foil. Then..... place the Quarter underneath the foil......,,,,,,,,........and the detector will probably break through the foil disc (squelch)......and 'beep' on the higher conductive composite mass.

Calabash's video of this demonstration is much appreciated.

Brian..... to (more specifically) answer your original question: In this (above) example.......the Tarsacci functions quite differently..... insofar as to specifically time-domain out the foil........which is not a function of VLF.