Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

finding a gold coin

Posted by squarenail_cache 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
finding a gold coin
January 03, 2022 05:45AM
what are the chances of finding a gold coin at a cellar hole in upstate ny. any pics and stories of anyone who has found one wanted.
Re: finding a gold coin
January 03, 2022 06:09AM
Gold coins are mostly found on the west coast. Very very few east coast hunters ever get one. Even east coast hardcore hunters, with scores and scores of LC's colonial coppers, busts, seateds, will usually never find a gold coin.

But on the west coast, lots of hunters have 1 or 2, etc.... Some with 8, or 10, or a dozen, etc....

There has been many posts about the reasons for this. Since, at first blush, it seems to defy explanation. After all, Philly had a mint that made gold coins too, eh ? But that's a matter for a different post smiling smiley
January 03, 2022 11:07AM
January 03, 2022 03:02PM
It is possible; yet, your best bet is..... old military encampments. (((I shall post this here also))) =

The United States Military IS: THE Constitution.
The United States Military IS: THE American "FLAG".
The United States Military: enforces/upholds the Constitution (the Flag).

Nearly the entire premise of the Constitution is: Silver & Gold. (Article-1, Section-10 ---which is gauging methodology of: Solidity/strength of a culture/Country/Nation).
The United States Mint deliberately initiated Constitutional Currency circulation (coined: Silver & Gold) TO the "FLAG" (the Military). Coined Silver & Gold was called: FLAG money. It was THE representation of the: FLAG/Constitution/Military/America.
So: Silver & Gold = Government disbursement coin to the Flag/Military..... of which the coin was "Military issue" by the Payroll Paymaster..... in accordance with Article-1, Section-10 United States Constitution.

When I am at a Military encampment.... and dig up a 1839 "O" (with repunched mintmark)......... the dead giveaway that it was 'first issue' ..... 'Military issue' is...... the coin is nearly uncirculated condition. Flag issue.
Yes....... civilians could also acquire a roll of new dimes; yet, when you are on a old Military encampment........ it becomes rather obvious. Same with near-uncirculated (Au) gold coins.

Hunt wisely!
Hunt intelligently!
January 04, 2022 02:02AM
I have five digging friends here in Ohio, who have found one gold coin each and one them has found three. All field finds Of course I havn't found one.
Machines that were used when they found them were Deus,Etrac,V3i,and MXT
January 04, 2022 02:52AM
I found a gold coin in a bezel beach hunting. Does that count?

Well, it does and it does not. My hats off to anyone who finds a gold coin dropped from that period in time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2022 03:06AM by midalake.
January 04, 2022 03:40AM
I read a post on one of the forums awhile back about one found in a farm field in New York. It DOES happen, but not as routinely as out West...

Steve
January 04, 2022 10:27AM
I'm in PA and dug one up from a farm field a few years back. 1885 Half Eagle,6" deep. Funny thing, one of the fellows on here tried to convince me it was a counterfeit coin, don't remember who it was. I went to a jewelers and had it weighed, spot on spec. I was using a CZ-3d at the time. The women up there may also have been slouching on their sewing chores as down here. . . .coins find their way out the hole and down the pant leg, cheers to lazy women. lol
January 04, 2022 12:30PM
some good stories. and a wide range of machines.guess there is hope after all
January 04, 2022 01:40PM
Steve........that Half Eagle should have ID'd as a high-tone on the CZ-3D...... as long as you were in 'Enhanced' Mode. Congrat's!!!

I have only found one gold coin (and here in Florida)..... in my lifetime (thus-far).
January 04, 2022 02:00PM
January 04, 2022 02:31PM
I live in Georgia and Dahlonega GA. had a mint that produced gold coins and I have heard from old timers in the hobby of quite a few gold coins being found in and around the state of Georgia.
January 04, 2022 04:59PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve........that Half Eagle should have ID'd as a
> high-tone on the CZ-3D...... as long as you were i
> n 'Enhanced' Mode. Congrat's!!!
>
> I have only found one gold coin (and here in Flori
> da)..... in my lifetime (thus-far).

It sure did Tom, high tone in enhanced mode. Thanks for the second congrats. I believe I somehow posted a pic on here a few or 5 or maybe even 10 years ago about the half eagle, time eludes me anymore being retired. Remember, I thought it may have been in a fire because the surface has a thin wave/shimmer to it when you look at it under glass. I think it was go-rebels who believed it was counterfeit . . .You assured me it was genuine. . and it is.
Congrats to you as well!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2022 05:00PM by ozzie.
January 04, 2022 10:02PM
I knew a guy who found a 5 dollar gold coin at an old Chicago park. He only been detecting a couple years too. Whenever I hunt them with my CZ-3D and get that high tone zinc hit I get excited even though not one yet.
I think CZ-3D only detector to high tone on a 5 dollar gold coin?
January 05, 2022 02:14AM
Harold...... correct. Although.... now-a-days....some of today's modern metal detectors can be programed to make anything: 'high tone'.