Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NM Legend observations on this video

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
NM Legend observations on this video
January 04, 2022 03:20AM
Hello.

[www.youtube.com]

This video is about the Legend with an air test on various objects.

I understand, the machines out now are just prototypes including the software used. I also understand there are somethings that can and cannot be released in the contexts of machines operation. From what I read in the manual, the depth meter is really just a proximity sensor, meaning it is used strictly to determine if something is close to the coil, or further away. It does not provide a depth number(I understand why they did it this way and people all over the world might not understand the numbers if they were in English(for example).

So my observation on this vid is the lack of resolution for the depth meter. All coins, whether large, small, thick, or thin, "maxed out" The meter in the 9-10 inch range. With the cartwheel penny(A real thick round coin) making the meter max at 11 inches.The two large items, the .50 cal shell casing and the buckle making the meter max at 13-14 respectively. IMO, the depth meter which is a CRITICAL piece of the detecting puzzle, is of very limited use in this state.If possible, either the physical size of the meter should be extended to 8-10 bars and the internals adjusted accordingly, OR, the internals be corrected to reflect more accurately the distance of a metal object from the coil, based on relative size.

At 3:18 in the video, a small silver coin pegs the meter at 8.5 inches 46 VID Then the medium silver coin pegs it at 9.5in 46 VID, The large silver pegs it at around 9.75 in 47 VID. If you came across this target in the wild, you would be looking at a target with a VID of 46-47 with a pegged depth meter and a guestimation of being 8-10 inches deep based on soil, EMI and other factors. As you can see in the video, these coins have the potential of being detected well past the point of maxing the meter.

Now using that example above, if the depth meter had higher resolution, it may peg the meter on the small silver, be a bar or two away on the medium silver, and a few bars away from being maxed on the large silver and if the VID was still 46-47, you would have a better idea of what it is based on the depth meter and not VID.

Just an observation.

"It's only when we lost everything, that we are free to do anything"
JCR
Re: NM Legend observations on this video
January 04, 2022 03:27AM
From reading the prelim Users Manual the depth meter is inverse to what I expect to see. The more bars the "deeper" the target is. Fewer bars, closer to the coil. In my mind that is backwards but it doesn't rally matter as I really never look at a depth meter. I depend on the audio having proportion & modulation.

Chris
January 04, 2022 01:35PM
First........ A depth meter on any detector...... has always been in the capacity of 'signal-strength' meter. (A Dime at 8"....could be a Silver Dollar at 12". The detector does not know the difference).

Secondly........ specifically on the Legend......the more depth-bar LCD segments that are 'lit-up' ..... is to indicate: the more shovel-scoops/digging you will need to perform. (The deeper/weaker the target is). Yes...... this is opposite of most detectors depth meter.
JCR
January 04, 2022 03:43PM
In regards to the "Depth Meter", as I don't notice any mention of a Mineralization Scale on the Legend, perhaps the depth scale could display mineral level while in Ground balance mode. Or use the Ferro Check gage to show ground conductivity in tandem. This is critical information to me & I would be disappointed if it is not a feature on The Legend.

Chris
January 04, 2022 09:52PM
Hmmmmmm. That's a very good idea.... Chris.

Also.......... depth gauges are 'usually' calibrated for penny-sized targets.
JCR
January 05, 2022 12:07AM
I have a few more thoughts/concerns/questions to discuss at the proper time. Glad to know several capable evaluations are being done & NM is open to practical suggestions to bring out the best possible end/performance.

Chris
January 06, 2022 02:38PM
Depth meters are only as good as the user's ability to "size" a target based off the audio and coil manipulation in my experience. Im no engineer, but displays aside there doesnt seem to be much more that can be done with them on VLFs.

I just want to see someone advance no motion modes further for general use. A V3I locked in PinPoint mode while keeping an eye on the different frequency responses was getting really close to being a true game changer. I dug my deepest turf coin, (a 13" indian!) hunting like that.