Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here it is.. ..Video showing Deus 2 with 9" coil on 14" deep nickel wet salt sand

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Here it is.. ..Video showing Deus 2 with 9" coil on 14" deep nickel wet salt sand
January 05, 2022 02:02AM
Stay tuned. One might be surprised at results.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2022 04:50AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Here it is.. ..Video showing Deus 2 with 9" coil on 14" deep nickel wet salt sand
January 05, 2022 04:50AM
Dang !!! That's impressive no matter what you swing. The game has changed and I'm glad I'm on the right team.
Re: Here it is.. ..Video showing Deus 2 with 9" coil on 14" deep nickel wet salt sand
January 05, 2022 09:36PM
Something that I have been (quietly) having concern about is.............. is the Deus-2 'signaling' on the disturbance of wet sand?
I say this because........ on the EQX...... if you put a dent/divot in the wet-sand...... the EQX will 'light-off' (signal) on the divot. Swing the coil of your EQX on flat sand..........THEN pass the coil over a small hole in the wet-sand...... and the EQX will see it as a fairly loud target (if set up properly).
January 05, 2022 10:25PM
To check if its not the distrurbed sand causing a false signal cut a notch in a wood dowel (with inch marks on) at 45 degrees and put a nickle in the notch then insert the wood dowel into the sand at 45 degrees until it reads 14 inches then try the D2 again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2022 10:26PM by sanjuro.
January 06, 2022 04:47AM
You're not alone Tom. Except I made a similar comment on a forum and got major push back. If it gets that deep on the beach great I'm all for it. But I'd prefer to see a natural target dug at 14" to verify the depth.
January 06, 2022 09:30AM
I have a similar opinion, Andrew ... even a covered hole in the sand can produce a good signal ..... in such a test it is right to test a covered hole ... but without a coin ...
January 06, 2022 10:52AM
This is 'why' I use a 3/4", Schedule-40 PVC pipe...... with a Nickel glued on one end. Then I use a hammer to drive it into the wet sand.......so as to leave as much 'undisturbed' sand around it. Then the PVC pipe MUST be filled with sand/saltwater. I'll even wait for a few waves to slosh over the target....... so as to ensure any form of disturbed sand...is rezero'ized.
I like the 45-Deg/diagonal insertion idea also. . . . . with the Nickel being installed at a 45-Deg tilt.......so as to regain 'parallel' of the Nickel. Problem is........ I'm not sure how to guarantee a 45-Degree insertion ......so as to achieve exact depth. It would probably be 'close'.
January 06, 2022 11:04AM
I know the beach he was at and I hunt it occasionally(rarely). Sanded in and flat. For the most part if you find anything it would be a fishing weight or tourist trash. CD only goes on the beach when he is doing a test. Not a beach hunter. lol
January 06, 2022 11:21AM
If I am not mistaken.
The 11" coil test some sea water did come in over target area before detector was used to check target. The test was done twice with near identical results.
Also, if Deus 2 would not have detected nickel, would folks have the same concern as far as freshly buried?

What procedure was used to test Tarsacci depth on nickel in wet salt sand?
Don't think I ever saw in MDT 8000 thread on this forum.

Calabash has never said he was an experienced beach Hunter.
January 06, 2022 11:29AM
In order to get the nickle on a stick to 14 inches at a 45 degree angle, do this. .. .At 45 degrees, we know the depth is 14" (one side) and the other side is 14", we can figure the hypotenuse of the triangle and mark the stick at that length and drive it to that mark. The mark on the stick will be 19.8 inches or 19-51/64 Inches. That will bring the depth to 14" if driven at 45 degrees to the mark, close enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2022 11:35AM by ozzie.
January 06, 2022 03:29PM
I would like to know how deep can the Tarsacci hit the nickel on the beach.
January 06, 2022 04:07PM
I beach hunted almost exclusively from about 1991 to 2016. Then my focus became Military relics. In that time period I hunted many beaches and I did may depth comparisons between the following metal detectors; Fisher CZ 6a, Minelab Sovereign, Minelab Explorer, Minelab eTrac, Tarsacci MDT, Garrett Infinium, Whites TDI SL, Whites TDI Pro, Whites TDI, Minelab GP 3500, Minelab GPX 4000 and Minelab GPX 4500. Most of those tests were done by finding natural targets, marking them and then grabbing another detector to compare. The only depth comparison I have ever posted on YouTube was between the Minelab Equinox and Garrett Infinium LS and that was at the Great Salt Lake in a test bed that has been there over 5 years. The Great Salt Lake is in extreme salt conditions and so wouldn't be relevant for most beach hunters. Neither machine will hit a target over 11" in those conditions.

Want to know why I never posted any depth comparison video on beaches? Because unless they are done like Tom has stated they aren't that accurate. I learned this when I got my first PI, a Whites TDI Pulse Scan. I dug holes in the sand a beach in Southern California and put nickels on the end of sticks close to the waters edge from 8", 10", 12" 14" 16" and 18" spaced at 2 foot intervals. Low and behold both the TDI 12" coil and my Explorer 13" coil were hitting all the targets. I thought that was odd since I'd never dug anything that deep with the Explorer. Then I recalled all the experiences I have had in the past with ghost signals over disturbed sand, open holes and water filled holes.

Funny story I had with a friend. He was using a Explorer with a 15" WOT coil at Oceanside, CA I was also using a an Explorer with the 11" coil. I saw him digging a deep hole about 50 yards down the beach from me and after a while of him still digging I turned my machine off and I walked down to see what he was going to recover. I said got to be a can if it's that deep, he was probably down 2 feet. He said no the cross hairs are in the ring range on my screen. I said let me hear the signal, so he unplugged his headphones and went over the hole. I said something doesn't sound right, did you check your piles? No he said and proceeded to scan the sand piles next to the hole. Guess what there was a nickel in the pile and he probably had it out of the hole early on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2022 05:22PM by Abenson.
January 07, 2022 01:22PM
John........ although calabash is not a beach hunter............. the quality of the video......and the detector captured video data...still gleans a lot of info. No......... not perfect; yet: useful data.

Rick & TNSS = Tarsacci: 15" Nickel with 12" coil in wet-salt. (I do not have wet-salt AND Black Sand ......to see/record THOSE resultants).
Aaron posted these videos on the huge Tarsacci thread. Also...... I'm certain the videos are on his forum.

Steve........ I'm just not sure I could shove one of my PVC sticks at exactly a 45-Deg angle into the sand!

Andrew...... good report!
January 07, 2022 01:41PM
I went to Aaron's forum yesterday and everything seems to be gone .. no discussion forum, no utube videos
ScoTTT2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I went to Aaron's forum yesterday and everything s
> eems to be gone .. no discussion forum, no utube v
> ideos

That's not good. I wonder what's going on?
January 07, 2022 02:09PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Something that I have been (quietly) having concer
> n about is.............. is the Deus-2 'signaling'
> on the disturbance of wet sand?
> I say this because........ on the EQX...... if you
> put a dent/divot in the wet-sand...... the EQX wil
> l 'light-off' (signal) on the divot. Swing the coi
> l of your EQX on flat sand..........THEN pass the
> coil over a small hole in the wet-sand...... and t
> he EQX will see it as a fairly loud target (if set
> up properly).

It is a concern of mine as well Tom. I am wondering about sounding off if the coil is touching the wet sand or if you bump the sand/ground. In one Vid I clearly hear the Deus sound off when the coil is placed on the sand.

As for opening a hole at the beach and having water fill as you go to remove the target. Could anything really work worse than the Equinox does? Gosh, I hope not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2022 02:18PM by midalake.
JCR
January 07, 2022 03:09PM
I spoke with Dimitar yesterday but did not ask about the Forum being down even though I knew it seemed to be. It had been pretty quiet lately. I am not sure if the Forum belonged to him or not. But, I do think one more reasoned request for a smaller relic coil will put him over the edge to make it!

Chris
January 07, 2022 06:20PM
JCR Wrote:
> I spoke with Dimitar yesterday but did not ask abo
> ut the Forum being down even though I knew it seem
> ed to be. It had been pretty quiet lately. I am no
> t sure if the Forum belonged to him or not. But, I
> do think one more reasoned request for a smaller r
> elic coil will put him over the edge to make it!

I just saw Dimitar on a detecting youtube video, and he mentioned that a small coil was on his "to do" list. Problem is, it sounds like he has a pretty big list! He said he's actively working on a gold machine based on the MDT8K and "other" projects. This was the first time I've seen him in a video and he seems like he would be really interesting to chat shop with, both from a technical perspective as well as general detectorist comradery. .
January 08, 2022 02:07PM
My comment on CD beach hunting was not meant to be derogatory but to show he may not be aware of these factors. I never stated he was trying to pass himself off as an expert. Only other time he goes is if the wife wants to go. He states that on one of his earlier video's. I will try to run up to Sunset Beach this Sunday with my Tarsacci and stick a nickel in the sand the same way.
I will also mention that the pier with the public parking at this beach is a EMI monster in the summer. Not sure if its open this time of year but would be a big plus for the D2 if it hit like that and dealt with the EMI.