Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Calabash using Deus 2 hunting for micro jewelry on beach

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Calabash using Deus 2 hunting for micro jewelry on beach
January 25, 2022 01:13AM
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2022 01:14AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Calabash using Deus 2 hunting for micro jewelry on beach
January 25, 2022 02:47AM
Even in a video......... it is SO easy to hear the VERY short audio...........knowing it's a tiny target. The short/sharp audio response also (most probably) indicates: low VDI numbers.

I don't believe any of it was real gold though. THAT'S what's nearly impossible to detect in a wet-salt environment. Gold plated copper...... gold plated silver........gold plated base-metal (Zinc/potmetal) are the most common tiny jewelry targets found.......... because they CAN be detected...... due to 'high-conductor'. Genuine tiny gold (not even micro-gold) still remains undetectable..........and completely saturates/covers/pollutes the beaches....... because NO ONE can detect it...to remove it. It just keeps building up through the years.

But.......... I am willing to bet the Deus-2 WILL go about 6mm to 10mm (1cm) depth on a REAL gold (about 10Kt) open hoop earring....... that is about the circumference/diameter of a dime. Caveat: The earring MUST have its clasp OPEN. (((If it's 'closed'......making a ring of continuous closed-loop continuity ......... then it could/should be detected to about a 1/2-foot!))).

There is a rigorous "controlled environment" requirement to test exactly this.............. whereby, removing all variables that could/would invalidate the test/quest.
January 25, 2022 03:02AM
Tomorrow Calabsh is going to try 9" coil and 11" coils.
And run reactivty up to 3.
And see what happens.
January 25, 2022 01:53PM
Calabash,
The chain with attachment you found yesterday.
Finding it and digging.
There may be more to that find that we or you even realize.

Few things.
Why was it still there on that pounded beach?

Some possibilities.
Could chain mask the attachment when some other beach detectors swept previously? Depending on orientation.

Might be good thing to break out excal and EQX. And deus 2.

Bury that thing you found and vary orientation of chain as it relates to attachment.
And see what all the detectors do.

Try few different depths.

You may indeed discover something.
January 25, 2022 06:45PM
Test WITHOUT attachment!!!
And verify gold......... or gold PLATED!
January 25, 2022 11:17PM
Calabash goes back to beach with Deus 2 and 9" coil.
He finds 10k earring back in wet salt sand.

[m.youtube.com]
January 26, 2022 02:00AM
That 10K earring back...... is a tell-all.
MEGA appreciation David...... for all your video laborious efforts....... AND for buying a couple of hoop earrings.........unbeknownst that you would find a 10K earring back...... that would be the 'key' datapoint that your quest was to capture/demonstrate!
Looks like the Deus-2 is the real McCoy.
January 26, 2022 02:35AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That 10K earring back...... is a tell-all.
> MEGA appreciation David...... for all your video l
> aborious efforts....... AND for buying a couple of
> hoop earrings.........unbeknownst that you would f
> ind a 10K earring back...... that would be the 'ke
> y' datapoint that your quest was to capture/demons
> trate!
> Looks like the Deus-2 is the real McCoy.

Alright.
The 10k earring found will be used in some testing of Deus 2 and EQX.
A gold hoop earring will be used too. Both in open and closed positions.
Wet salt sand environment.

So, Tom.
Which EQX 800 detect mode and settings should be tried when trying to detect the items above?.
Realizing sensivity used will be as high as useable where test are conducted.

They want the test done correctly. No buts or what ifs. Later.
January 26, 2022 10:23AM
Yikes! Is this unit going to be like hunting with the Gold Bug?
January 26, 2022 01:53PM
We are all waiting for Tom to answer but here are my settings.

Beach 2, sensitivity 24, reactivity 5 (then try 4 and 6), open screen, change the pitch in the bins to be very high, change the volume to be near max for the same bin, set the first bin to be VDI 1 thru 21, lower the volume in the 'iron' bin (-9 to 0) to 1. F2=0

Do the same for Beach mode 1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2022 02:29PM by CCadrin.
January 26, 2022 05:03PM
ozzie........no........not even close! Although XP is certainly headed in that direction......from what I can tell/speculate. If it can detect a 10Kt white gold needle/stud earring (with about a 1/2-Ct stone).......to a depth/range of just 20mm (just under an inch)....... than it IS indeed a wet-salt micro-jewelry hunter.,.,.,., which would be the FIRST in HISTORY!

David & David. First........ BOTH detectors need to have the same-sized coil. 11" & 11".
EQX settings:
Beach Mode-1, Multi (((Never a single-freq)))
F2 = 0
Horseshoe = all BLACK (nothing Notched out. You CAN hear iron).
Target Recovery Response (speed) = 2 ((( if detector will not settle down...... you could go to TRR of '3' or a TRR of '4'....... but never go above '4' ))).
Volume = 25 (across the board..........although I usually run iron Volume on '4' on the beach.....when I'm actually hunting).
Notch = nothing Notched out.
50-Tone (Tone selection nearly does not matter; yet, keep in mind...... an earring-back, open-hoop earring......and other fine-jewelry/tiny gold jewelry with ID as "1" on the EQX. SOOOooooooooo...... make sure that targets that ID as "1" present a NON-ferrous tone!).
Sens on 23........with stipulation: Sens as high as possible that YOU COULD ACTUALLY HUNT WITH!!! Don't overdrive the unit so as to be able to detect the tiny gold targets.......knowing that you could never actually HUNT with those high settings! (You guys have not infringed on this anyway!).
Ground Balance = CRITICAL!!!!! This is the last step...... AFTER you set up all other parameters. Perform an Auto Ground Balance......by going into Ground Balance...... then push-and-hold button whilst pumping coil about 5 pumps......minimum. I speculate the unit will Ground Balance around '11'......due to colder temperatures. You can Ground Balance over (about) an inch of saltwater........which will allow either/both units to: more faster/rapidly......grab the ground.

To be fair with the XP........ ALSO run the Reactivity/speed: SLOWER. A tiny target already presents/reports as a very short audio response. Do NOT 'shorten' the audio (and; subsequent detection) even further ..... with too fast of a Reactivity/Recovery speed!!! Just make sure......it is a speed that you CAN hunt with.....whilst cruising/swinging down the beach.

MEGA-THANKS..........from ALL of us!!!
January 27, 2022 12:44AM
I thought the XP Deus-2 was due to be released last week. Anyone know if there is a new release date?

My REAL question is: Can a Deus-2 be ordered WITHOUT headphones? ((( I am still a strong believer in wired phones! ))).
January 27, 2022 01:26AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I thought the XP Deus-2 was due to be released las
> t week. Anyone know if there is a new release date
> ?
>
> My REAL question is: Can a Deus-2 be ordered WITHO
> UT headphones? ((( I am still a strong believer in
> wired phones! ))).

In have seen some units being reported being received abroad.
Can't say I have seen folks getting in USA yet.
The XP America site not updated with deus 2 even existing.
France site shows deus 2.
No deus 2 packages being shown on that site where limited component packages are available.
Looking at some USA dealers sites. They only list full deus 2 packages.

Yes remote on deus 2 allows for wired headphones. i haven't seen any dealers breaking out the different packages associated with deus 2.
There are the bone conductive headphones that connect to remote. Don't think these will satisfy what you are looking for though.

There is capability to use wired headphones with headphone module mounted on top of stem. Headphone module I think is deemed rain proof not water proof. (For your possible beach excursions). Person has to buy little adapter plate that has headphone jack adapter thingy..

I lucked out. My unit enroute currently. I have tracking with EDD 31 Jan.

Hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2022 06:31AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 27, 2022 02:22AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I thought the XP Deus-2 was due to be released las
> t week. Anyone know if there is a new release date
> ?
>
> My REAL question is: Can a Deus-2 be ordered WITHO
> UT headphones? ((( I am still a strong believer in
> wired phones! ))).

Tony Eisenhower is going to make me a custom cable to run my Black Widows!!!
January 27, 2022 10:52AM
I merely/simply want to plug in my own wired headphones. I do not want the unit to come with any form of headphones.
January 27, 2022 03:55PM
midalake Wrote:

> Tony Eisenhower is going to make me a custom cable
> to run my Black Widows!!!

Good info-- Thanks.
January 27, 2022 05:29PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> I merely/simply want to plug in my own wired headp
> hones. I do not want the unit to come with any for
> m of headphones.

Back of Deus2 is a 1/8 jack. Same waterproof connection as the Nox.
January 27, 2022 06:33PM
Alright.
Calabash has done head to head testing.
Gold ring, piece of gold chain and gold earring back.
Results interesting.
XP been real busy it seems.
Video needs to be put together.
Will hopefully be posted here later today sometime.

Btw.
High chance deus 2 user on salt water beach needs to have both 9" and 11" coils to get all gold deus 2 is capable of getting.

Stay tuned.
January 27, 2022 07:22PM
mida..........good to know!

TNSS......WELL understood!
January 27, 2022 09:46PM
Id sure like to see Tom do a little testing with the Deus. I say that because ive seen just a small portion of the micro GOLD he used when testing another machine. Most all the gold we use to test is gold we have found with our beach detectors with a set salt setting and we do air tests. Toms got some that is hard for our beach machines to hit on..... i know i tried the CTX and my Xcal.
January 28, 2022 12:09AM
Here's head to head video Deus 2 vs Equinox wet salt sand multiple gold items used in tests.
Think I got my deus 2 short while ago. Need to open box. B

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2022 12:10AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 28, 2022 01:00AM
All I can say is: Stunning!

Don't complain about the D2 sounding 'ratty' (broken up) on the 10K earring back..... the second time you buried it. You hit the nail on the head...... and buried the 10K piece at 'fringe' depth...... which really made a statement; hence 'threshold detection'......giving a 'ratty' sounding response.
I'm pleased the EQX Ground Balanced at '11'........ just exactly what I called. No....... I am NOT credit-seeking; rather = I am wanting to know the temperature of your water, the density of the sand, the amount of salinity held-in-solution.....and the mineralization incurred. A Ground Balance of '11'...... is the: "tell-all"; subsequently...... ALL were in alignment (congruent) with my expectations. BASE-REFERENCE = ACCOMPLISHED. This left no room for speculation (and subsequent: error).

There were a lot of unsuspecting 'take-aways' from this video...... coming from a physicist/scientific/engineering mindset. Well done! ((( I do recommend 'wider sweeps'. )))

Even though the 12"/13" deep gold wedding band was bouncing between ferrous-nonferrous on the EQX ....... it was clear that it was a 'digger' target...... due to short/crisp/concise audio response that was NOT shifting whilst rotating around wedding band.
But....... it was ALSO clear that the Deus-2 was hitting it with more authority.

On the 10K earring back. The reason 'why' the EQX was ID'ing it as (mostly) ferrous...... was due to 'fresh hole' // 'disturbed sand' syndrome. EQX does not like disturbed sand. Deus-2 doesn't seem to care. In fact....... at the settings you were on....with the EQX...... if you dug a hole in the wet sand ...about the size of a ping-pong ball ...... the EQX will hit it as a target....... and ID it as 'ferrous'. With the 9" coil on the Deus-2...... it is quite obvious that the Deus-2 is the clear winner on tiny REAL gold // fine jewelry. I would even venture to say...... about double the depth/performance on that earring-back sized target.

I was REALLY glad to see the tide come in........ and 'slosh' the buried targets.....(for many reasons).

Folks having a hard time seeing the coil height of the EQX in a couple of spots on the video......... just simply/merely look at the SHADOW of the coil. It's a 'tell-all'.

David/David........ what did the EQX finally settle on..... with Sens? (I think '22').

MEGA Thanks!!!...... once again!!!!!!

Outta time!
January 28, 2022 01:11AM
Nasa-Tom,

My beach on wet sand I can get Beach 2 at a sensitivity of 23/24 and to run pretty smoothly while in Beach 1 I can only get a 20/21. The 3 sensitivity settings higher appears to give me more depth on targets. What are your thoughts? I know Beach 1 has a higher weighted mutli-frequency.
January 28, 2022 02:39AM
The 3-to-4 point Sensitivity difference between Beach Mode-1 and Beach Mode-2 is correct. This is normal. If you were to run Beach Mode-2 at the Sensitivity settings of Beach Mode-1...... there would be a very marked performance loss. Beach Mode-1 is quite a bit more sensitive than Beach Mode-2. You always 'drive' Beach Mode-1 to its highest allowable 'stable' level.... to maximize performance (which is usually around 20/21). When you switch over to Beach Mode-2..... it is much more 'tame' (lame)......and less reactive to the wet salt. SOOOOoooooooo....... in order to 'gain back' what you have lost.,.,.,.,.,.,., the added stability of Beach Mode-2 then requires you to drive the Sens setting up TO the level of (just-shy-of) 'slightly chatty' peak performance. . . . . . which is a Sens setting of 23/24.
BUT.......... herein lies the difference:
Beach Mode-1 is more sensitive to fine gold.
Beach Mode-1 is more unstable when you transition from the wet-sand...... to the damp-sand.
Beach Mode-1 is more unstable when you transition from the wet-sand...... into the 'splash'.
Beach Mode-1 is more unstable when you are fully submerged.
Beach Mode-2 is less sensitive to fine gold.
Beach Mode-2 is more stable when you transition from the wet-sand..... to the damp sand.
Beach Mode-2 is more stable when you transition from the wet-sand..... into the 'splash'.
Beach Mode-2 is more stable when you are hunting IN the water.

Beach Mode-2 transmits at 1/2-power........ so as to reduce too much blowback/flyback/feedback from the wet-salt. As to be expected..... Beach Mode-2 uses less battery power (longer battery life). BUT....... do NOT think that performance is halved...... due to 1/2-transmit power. Remember: RECEIVE SENSITIVITY is where it's at! (Not transmit power)!

Beach Mode-1 & Beach Mode-2 have nearly identical depth(s) on coin/ring-sized targets........ when peak Sens is configured properly for each respective Mode.
Beach Mode-2 will never have the sensitivity to fine gold jewelry.......as Beach Mode-1.

((( Robbing Peter .... to pay Paul ))).

All this info should have been posted....... and should be consolidated on the Equinox thread!!! (Not here!).
January 28, 2022 02:58AM
CCadrin Wrote:
> Nasa-Tom,
>
> My beach on wet sand I can get Beach 2 at a sensit
> ivity of 23/24 and to run pretty smoothly while in
> Beach 1 I can only get a 20/21. The 3 sensitivity
> settings higher appears to give me more depth on t
> argets. What are your thoughts? I know Beach 1 has
> a higher weighted mutli-frequency.

You know by golly. I see the same thing. Not even sure I can run 19-20 [beach 1]. Beach 1 appears no more sensitive to gold. Also will not beat beach 2 for depth running 23/24 like I was today!

Every time I switch to beach 1 on a deep target no extra info. Don't know where the magic is????
January 28, 2022 03:36AM
Thanks NASA-Tom for your time to answer. I never assume to know it all and always have eyes open to additional insight.
January 28, 2022 12:56PM
midalake....... make sure you always Ground Balance!!!
You may also have the (mineralization) requirement to run Target Recovery Response on '4'. Try NOT to go above 4. I speculate '2' """should""" be the best; yet, you may require '4'.
Remember to re-Ground Balance...... each time you change Target Recovery Response speed AND each time you perform a Noise Cancel.
January 28, 2022 02:03PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> midalake....... make sure you always Ground Balanc
> e!!!
> You may also have the (mineralization) requirement
> to run Target Recovery Response on '4'. Try NOT to
> go above 4. I speculate '2' """should""" be the be
> st; yet, you may require '4'.
> Remember to re-Ground Balance...... each time you
> change Target Recovery Response speed AND each tim
> e you perform a Noise Cancel.

Right now Tom with much experiment, I use Tracking GB exclusively. I have pockets of Black Sand 10'X10' all over the place. My mineralization changes wildly.
As for Recovery, I hunted a whole season comparing all "iffy" targets hunting in 6 recovery and 6 IB, then switching to 4-4. Changed my mind to dig a handful of targets and of those "extra" targets nothing of worth.

I now also hunt in Horseshoe without exception. So recovery comes less into play.

With the large wave wash here, I am always in water contact. Just can not do Beach 1.
January 28, 2022 07:25PM
Would the Deus 2 have got a signal on the earing back if it had not been in a polythene bag? surely the wet sand in direct contact with the metal would make it a harder target to hit ? maybe you could try it again with a piece of string on the earing back ?
January 29, 2022 02:54AM
mida....... I now understand! YES!!!....... pockets of thick black sand AND wet-salt...... will disallow you to use Beach Mode-1 !!! ((( I did not know you had black sand! )))

sanjuro........ If the 10K gold earring back were out of the plastic bag...... and buried in the wet-salt....... it would MUCH better 'electrically CONNECT' to the sand....,,,,,,thus allowing for a bit better detection (regardless of detector).