Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which Gold Bug II detector for Micro-Gold hunting? confused smiley

Posted by NEBeachcomber 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Which Gold Bug II detector for Micro-Gold hunting? confused smiley
March 03, 2022 05:19PM
Hello Everyone,

After a 10+ year hiatus from the metal detecting hobby I am thinking about getting back into detecting again. Before I retired lived in Massachusetts (5 minutes from the ocean) and since I retired, I now live in New Hampshire (45 minutes from the ocean)... hence the alias "NEBeachcomber".

The reason for this post is that I am considering getting into hunting for micro-gold jewelry and I wanted to know which of the two models of the Fisher Gold Bug II detectors I should consider. The older model appears to be analog and has dials to adjust it... and the newer model appears to be digital and has an LED display and no iron discrimination switch. Out of these two detectors... which one do you think would be the better choice for hunting micro-gold jewelry on New Hampshire beaches?

Thanks in advance,
NEBeachcomber
Re: Which Gold Bug II detector for Micro-Gold hunting? confused smiley
March 03, 2022 05:31PM
I would still recommend the older analog 71-KHz GB-2......and for a multiplicity of rationale.
March 03, 2022 05:35PM
Thanks for the quick response Tom! thumbs down
March 03, 2022 06:16PM
Assuming FT did a good job of making the modifications to give 'digital ground balance' rather than 'multi-turn pot analogue gb' , the performance should be exactly the same.
The LCD screen version has a few other differences - the headphone socket is on the side, which may be inconvenient, depending on whether you're right-handed / lefty.
March 03, 2022 06:20PM
I'm strongly thinking about getting an analog (71 mHz) Gold Bug II... but I'm also weighing the thought that I already have a Teknetic G2 (19 mHz) and I can't help but wonder if it will be worth my while to get the GB II? Any opinions?
March 03, 2022 08:20PM
Here's a couple of vids that might help with that decision:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

The Vista Gold or Gold Gain looks impressive vs the gold bug 2
March 03, 2022 11:48PM
The Nokta Gold Kruzer and Garrett Goldmaster 24k are both good on micro gold too. Both these detectors will hit the small 10k white gold earring.
March 04, 2022 12:39AM
The new model has the same iron disc as the old. The analog pot was replaced with a rotary encoder and display, and the toggle switches are now pushbuttons. The threshold control is more convenient on the new, but the headphone jack may be less so. The rotary encoder takes more turns if GB is way off but this is usually a rare case. Otherwise, performance is the same.
March 04, 2022 01:21AM
sawbuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's a couple of vids that might help with that
> decision:
>
> [www.youtube.com]
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> The Vista Gold or Gold Gain looks impressive vs th
> e gold bug 2
--------------------------------------------------------

These videos definitely give me something to think about.

I can see where my Teknetics G2 would be no competition for either of these two detectors.
March 04, 2022 01:27AM
Geotech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The new model has the same iron disc as the old. T
> he analog pot was replaced with a rotary encoder a
> nd display, and the toggle switches are now pushbu
> ttons. The threshold control is more convenient on
> the new, but the headphone jack may be less so. Th
> e rotary encoder takes more turns if GB is way off
> but this is usually a rare case. Otherwise, perfor
> mance is the same.
---------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for explaining the differences between the two models of Gold Bug II detectors. Being "old school" and from the age of analog detectors... I wasn't sure if the newer, digital model would measure up to the older analog GB2.