Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Biggest difference I have seen comparing Equinox and Deus 2

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Biggest difference I have seen comparing Equinox and Deus 2
May 26, 2022 03:27AM
I got curious. And ran each in single frequency. Eliminating multi freq. Big difference at 40 kHz.
[m.youtube.com]

This behavior though seems carries over in some of the Deus multi freq programs though (programs that use higher freq based on user’s manual.. I thought it was multi freq causing. Don’t think so so much now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2022 03:29AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Biggest difference I have seen comparing Equinox and Deus 2
May 26, 2022 10:45AM
Interesting. Hardly any down averaging with the D2 and no masking. I'm still amazed that the D2 ID's the same in the ground as in the air.
May 27, 2022 03:42PM
XP's jump from the Deus 1 to Deus 2 is probably the most advanced jump from one generation of machine to the next that I have ever saw in detectors. Deus 1 was not a favorite of mine; its largest strength was hunting in iron; the control remote for it was pretty much used for changing settings. The ID was useless. On mine, everything wanted to ID as a 98 signal...especially deeper stuff. The saying was true about it...only use the remote to make setting changes and then stick it in your pocket and forget it.

Deus 2, I thought would be much of the same. My expectations for it wasn't very high for it to be their first SMF machine. But they absolutely knocked this thing out of the park.

I don't know how long the handheld probes are; I have one of the XP ones but I have been digging things down past the length of my probe that ID the same out of ground as it did in the ground. This is previously unheard of in the soils around here; accurate ID on just about all ID machines, went out at about 4 inches. I can get a signal now in the 70s and say "that's a round tab or beaver tail" and boom...there it is. Signal in the 80-90s is usually a coin or high conductor.
May 27, 2022 11:28PM
Dang Daniel you said the same thing about the Equinox then sold it a month later, LOL!
May 28, 2022 02:30AM
No, I didn't Harold. The Equinox did ID deeper than the CTX and was the deepest ID machine I had used up to that time. I kept an Equinox from the time I bought it when they first came out, up until I sold all my stuff a year or so ago. The only thing like that, that I did that you might be remembering is, I started with the 600 because it was all I could find, then bought an 800 when they came available and sold the 600.
May 28, 2022 09:40AM
Daniel, I guess I'm getting old and forgetful but I am still above ground and that what counts at my age, LOL!
May 28, 2022 11:22PM
the anticipation of hunting with the cz-3d will definitely keep you "above ground!"
Harold!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
June 01, 2022 08:27AM
I sold my Equinox 800 and been a bit away from detecting for a few years now. Nice seeing the forum keeping up with everything here. Might be moving back to the States from Germany, so am starting to get back into detecting via reading, lol.
From what I can gather, the Deus 2 seems to have surpassed the Equinox in most soils. I never really enjoyed running the Deus though, but I loved the portability.

I still miss the E-Trac / CTX 2D screen. I know (for most) it comes down to their ears but there is a whole lot of information visually that is subtle, not to mention it is SUPER FUN.
I missed those deep bounces on the CTX that the E-Trac offered. And I missed those Fe numbers on Equinox that FBS gave us.

I hope the new Minelab has a 2D screen and a bit more analog sounds. Any ideas on a release date (or release year? lol)
And I wonder if it will be more of an Equinox 1000 or CTX XXX???
June 01, 2022 11:19AM
On this video comparison I noticed when the program was switched from park 1 to park 2 (around 1 minute 55 seconds) the ID went up to around a zinc penny instead of a nickel which is right where he said the Deus registered the dime. Park 2 and 40 MHz is what I'll try next time. Thanks for the information.
June 02, 2022 06:09PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I sold my Equinox 800 and been a bit away from det
> ecting for a few years now. Nice seeing the forum
> keeping up with everything here. Might be moving b
> ack to the States from Germany, so am starting to
> get back into detecting via reading, lol.
> From what I can gather, the Deus 2 seems to have s
> urpassed the Equinox in most soils. I never really
> enjoyed running the Deus though, but I loved the p
> ortability.
>
> I still miss the E-Trac / CTX 2D screen. I know (f
> or most) it comes down to their ears but there is
> a whole lot of information visually that is subtle
> , not to mention it is SUPER FUN.
> I missed those deep bounces on the CTX that the E-
> Trac offered. And I missed those Fe numbers on Equ
> inox that FBS gave us.
>
> I hope the new Minelab has a 2D screen and a bit m
> ore analog sounds. Any ideas on a release date (or
> release year? lol)
> And I wonder if it will be more of an Equinox 1000
> or CTX XXX???

Good to see you posting, and getting back into the hobby!

I fully concur with you, about what you miss from FBS machines (2D screen, tones, etc.). And I also wonder if the new Minelab "coin-hunting" flagship unit, whenever it actually arrives, will be more of an "Equinox 1000," or a "CTX 4040," as well.

Steve
June 04, 2022 03:12PM
steveg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> earthmansurfer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I sold my Equinox 800 and been a bit away from d
> et
> > ecting for a few years now. Nice seeing the foru
> m
> > keeping up with everything here. Might be moving
> b
> > ack to the States from Germany, so am starting t
> o
> > get back into detecting via reading, lol.
> > From what I can gather, the Deus 2 seems to have
> s
> > urpassed the Equinox in most soils. I never real
> ly
> > enjoyed running the Deus though, but I loved the
> p
> > ortability.
> >
> > I still miss the E-Trac / CTX 2D screen. I know
> (f
> > or most) it comes down to their ears but there i
> s
> > a whole lot of information visually that is subt
> le
> > , not to mention it is SUPER FUN.
> > I missed those deep bounces on the CTX that the
> E-
> > Trac offered. And I missed those Fe numbers on E
> qu
> > inox that FBS gave us.
> >
> > I hope the new Minelab has a 2D screen and a bit
> m
> > ore analog sounds. Any ideas on a release date (
> or
> > release year? lol)
> > And I wonder if it will be more of an Equinox 10
> 00
> > or CTX XXX???
>
> Good to see you posting, and getting back into the
> hobby!
>
> I fully concur with you, about what you miss from
> FBS machines (2D screen, tones, etc.). And I also
> wonder if the new Minelab "coin-hunting" flagship
> unit, whenever it actually arrives, will be more o
> f an "Equinox 1000," or a "CTX 4040," as well.
>
> Steve

Hey Steve! I've been enjoying reading your posts here and remember many on this here thread. Nice small community.

In a nutshell regarding detectors "It's not about the destination. It's about the Journey." In other words, yeah, results are important, but so many nice machines out there, so if they are close enough in performance, then get one that you enjoy the tones, screen, balance, etc. of.
Flashback - One of my best memories in detecting was actually the book reading. Forget the book, but that popular (Sabisch?) book on Learning the E-Trac.

Keep the good posts coming guys!