Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP DEUS-2 FIELD-TEST

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
XP DEUS-2 FIELD-TEST
August 20, 2022 07:05PM
You requested it.......... so here it comes:

I JUST received a new XP Deus-2 with 11" coil......new-in-box.
Assembled it.
And have the control-head.... and coil "on-charge".......at the moment.

First/initial impressions:

* The 11" coil is THICK. (((Questioning if it is a U.H.G. coil))).
* With the control-head mounted on the stem....... the D2 is exceptionally light. I would speculate the D2 is THE lightest (top-end) detector on the market....to date.
* Overall....... the D2 feels very solid. (Do not mistake 'lightweight' for: "cheaply built").
* The shaft length is exceptionally short. At full extention..... the coil swings near my shoes (with metal eyelets, boot-tacks, steel-toe caps, steel mesh belt(s).......etc..........) [[[ For the record, I am short. I stand 5' 10" / 177cm ]]].
* The headphone pigtail is exactly what I needed......to plug in my KOSS QZ99 (wired) headphones. It works well......and Volume is sufficient.
* I do not understand the detector stand.... under the arm-cup. It does not touch/contact the ground.
* With the control-head charging (at this moment)........ I see the battery indicator incrementally stair-stepping from zero......to all LCD's 'lit'........ in a cyclic-rate of just a few seconds per cycle. Does this mean the battery is dead?.....and taking/accepting a charge? I would like to know the battery 'level' charge status. ((( I have NOT read the owners manual..... yet! ))).
* With the coil plugged into the charger at the same time as the control head........ the white light (diode) is fully/continuously illuminated. I speculate this means the coil is already fully charged. [[[Again. This is probably fully explained in the owners manual. Or so I hope!!!]]]
* The camlocks appear to be very ample.
* Pistol grip is ergonomic/comfortable.
* All of the coil attachment hardware .... is complex; yet, rugged.......and fairly well thought-out.

I am DELIBERATELY wanting to go into this D2........ as a "Newbie". . . . . . via NOT reading the owners manual right away.,.,.,.,.,.,. so as to see how 'intuitive' this detector is.......and try to run into the questions that someone new to a D2 would naturally incur.
In fact......... I am going to take it to the wet-salt beach (Florida/Atlantic Ocean)......(possibly in a couple of hours).........and see if I can figure it out WITHOUT the owners manual.

More data to follow. (Possibly as early as tonight).
Re: XP DEUS-2 FIELD-TEST
August 20, 2022 08:12PM
NASA-Tom,

Thanks for your initial report.

I would like to make a quick note on two of your points, regarding the XP Deus's shaft...

You noted that it's exceptionally short, and you noted that the "stand" is not tall enough to contact the ground.

I wanted to note that both of those issues are being addressed, with my shaft; the stand is taller (so as to contact the ground), and the shaft will be longer -- and with "tall-man" lower rods available.

I also want to point to two other things I'm addressing with the shaft. You said the unit feels "solid." I'm interested to see if you have any additions/thoughts about this initial impression, especially once you use it in the surf (I am thinking of something in particular, but will wait to see if you notice anything). ALSO, I would like to see if you have any comments about the "accessibility" of the buttons on the remote control (again, I'm thinking of something specific, but don't want to "bias" you).

Thanks!

Steve
August 21, 2022 01:03AM
NASA Tom, use the little tether that comes in the box if you are going into the surf. No instructions on it. Just attach it to the remote (you may need tweezers) and slide the loop on to the shaft. When you extend the shaft to hunt, the tether on the shaft will wedge itself between the shaft and the handle hole where the shaft slides through. Wouldn't want the remote to pop off the first day out and get washed out of sight.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2022 01:05AM by ozzie.
August 21, 2022 02:16AM
I'm just returning from a 2.5-hour Deus-2 beach hunt.
Steve. Already noted! As follows:
When control pod is mounted on shaft......thumb is awkward to articulate up....and onto the buttons. (Minor problem).
Lower shaft appears to (somewhat) 'flex' whilst sweeping in the water. . . . . yet (so far) ...... poses no problem. It did NOT work its way 'loose'.

VERY PRELIMINARY 'gut/feel' results as follows:

((( Remember: My intent was to NOT read the owners manual.......... hit the beach............ and see if the D2 is intuitive/navigable/learnable. ))). Some difficulties ensued.

It took me 2-hours just to find 'stable/huntable settings' on the Deus-2. Rather frustrating. Factory presets were far from optimal. A lot of 'adjusting' was required. I did everything I could to keep the factory preset Sensitivity level of '95'.......and adjusted all other parameters FIRST! Paradoxically..... THAT was an incorrect approach/mindset. (I'm not sure what the owners manual states......yet!).
Keep in mind........ my (Central Florida East Coast Atlantic Ocean) beach ..... due to higher temperatures....... the water holds more salt 'in solution'. . . . . . . . . making more difficulty for many detectors...... to include the Gold Scan-5 Eric Foster PI.........(that I could never get to work in this wet-salt environment).

My largest (by far) frustration is/was.......... I wanted to know if the Deus-2 is stable/quiet.......if the coil was lightly scrubbed. I am a light coil-scrubber. I keep the coil about 3mm above the ground. I had asked this question (multiple times) to Deus-2 beach hunters & testers.........and no one wanted to answer this question. (((Now I know 'why' there was no reply))). The Deus-2 does not like close conditions to the ground. You must suspend the coil a couple of inches off of the ground (wet-salt beach)........ or............ lower your performance settings a formidable amount.

* First/foremost: Appears to be more powerful/sensitive over EQX platform.
* Beach Sensitive Mode is (by far) the best wet-slope hunting Mode.
* Close to the waters edge........ Auto Ground Grab would always land on '83'.......reliably. At one point I adjusted Grnd Bal to '89' to 'test'. Unit was indeed more unstable/chatty. Then performing another pumping-of-the coil Ground Grab....... and the D2 was struggling to 'catch' the large imbalance. It took over a dozen coil pumps.... before the unit 'woke up'.....and GB numbers started dropping....... until '83' was ascertained. (Interesting quirk).
* BEWARE: "REACTIVITY" is a depth-killer (or depth doubler). Changing REACTIVITY level is MUCH more impacting on depth/sensitivity/performance....... over ALL other functions. It's the #1 depth/sensitivity/performance adjustment. If you can run REACTIVITY on '0'...... this will give you best performance. Fortunately........ the wet-salt slope was 'chatty' with high REACTIVITY settings....... and (conversely)........ more stable with lower REACTIVITY settings.
* STABLE/STEADY Coil velocity (horizontal) is critical.
* STABLE/STEADY Coil velocity (vertical) is critical.
* I could get away with REACTIVITY setting of '0'.......and acquire best performance.
* I liked Audio Response on its highest setting of '7'. Any lower....... and deep targets were easily missed...... due to modulated audio steep ramp-down.
* I could get away with a Salt Sensitivity of '9' (max setting); yet, some audibly 'chatty' conditions would ensue. A setting of '9' would provide the most sensitivity to small low-conductive items (like small gold jewelry). I'm not sure if the owners manual addresses this.
* BEWARE: SALT SENSITIVITY is the #2 depth-killer (or performance enhancer). Run it as close to 'salt' as possible..... for best performance. (These would be higher numbers).
* Sensitivity rates #3 in increasing/decreasing depth & performance. . . . . on the beach.
* I kept Iron Volume on '5'.
* After about 2-hours (of testing/struggling)....... I finally (mandatorily) had to drop Sens a full 20-points below Factory Preset of '95'....... down to '75'........ in order to ascertain wet-salt beach stability.
* On the beach..... never use any 'Notch'.
* PITCH audio mode is pinnacle for wet-salt beach detecting. (I may explain this to much greater detail..... in the near future. REMIND me!).
* I went to MENU......... then DISCRIM. --- I set DISCRIM on '0' because I want to hear EVERYTHING.......and will make the dig/no-dig decision myself. My 'gut' is not happy with this setting. Not sure (yet) 'why'. I never detected a fish hook or a bobby-pin in all of my hunting. Weird! ((I did not carry a fish hook nor a bobby-pin with me....to the beach......for testing purposes. NEVER thought I would have to!!!)). I also critically needed to go below '0' on this DISCRIM setting......for two primary reasons. (1). I 'need' to find where 'wet-salt' is. (2). Deeper targets seem to 'null' or 'mute'........and I speculate that deep targets ID as 'iron'....... and in the range BELOW '0'. Somehow I thought DISCRIM could go down to -6.4. (Negative 6.4). I tried like perdition to do such; yet, maybe the beach mode(s) do not authorize this. (((Exactly because of this........ I see a software error))). Unless......... I need to read the owners manual!!
* I did find a few steel bottlecaps...... that ID'd in the silver dime/clad quarter range; yet, the preamble & post-amble audio was raspy ....... which was a immediate giveaway.
* Whilst sweeping coil on the wet-salt...... the GND LEVEL (mineral strength) LCD bargraph nearly always expressed 8 or 9 lit LCD segments.
* Getting close to....... or 'bumping' a small clump of seaweed.....reported as a target. (This is a good ---sensitive--- thing!).
* (For me.........due to my style/type of hunting)........ it is mandatory to hardwire the coil to the control box. I never realized just how frequently I will go into about a foot (30cm) of water! Deus is dead if the coil is slightly submerged.....and coil is not hardwired to control pod.

So far (prelim)..... targets that are within the last 27% of depth range....... will not generate an accurate ID......... with enough intelligibility to somewhat 'tell' what the item might be.
So far........ it 'appears' the Deus-2 ...... in my peak-performance settings that I can configure for these Central Florida specific 'extra high salt content' beach(es)........ the Deus-2 will detect a Nickel to approx 13.5" deep.
((( EQX will ID a Nickel to 10.7" deep...... yet, detect a Nickel to 12.8" deep with zero ID [or iron ID] )))
I can detect a Nickel with Deus-2 to 16" deep...... with a factory Sens setting of '95'......... but. I cannot hunt this exceptionally high-salt content beach with a Sens setting of '95'. (At least...... not yet. But I'm trying to figure IF it can be done).

Out of time! More to follow.
August 21, 2022 02:19AM
Take your time Tom getting adjusted with the Deus, We have patience enjoy the learning curve.

With my original Deus 1, coil with solid light is full charge when using charge clip, probably same with Deus 2.

If possible, definitely secure the controller. One of my friends lost his when we hiked out of a relic site up in gold country, good habit to start off having it secured.

Enjoy Tom!

Paul (Ca)
August 21, 2022 02:34AM
Hmmmmmmmmm. Thanks for the info guys! The control-pod "seems" to be fairly snug on the shaft-mount....... AND....... I have hardwired headphones as a 'tether' also!!!!....... BUT...... you have a VERY valid point!
August 21, 2022 02:36AM
NASA-Tom --

Yep, you quickly latched onto the two things I noted right off the bad when briefly checking out the D2 -- lower shaft flex, and that awkward thumb movement needed to access the buttons on the remote. You have confirmed my initial impressions. I'm addressing both of those issues, with the new shaft.

Thanks!

Steve
August 21, 2022 11:22AM
Steve........although the shaft-flex poses no problem(s) [[[-yet-]]].............,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am a bit surprised the awkwardness of: getting your thumb over & 'on' to the faceplate controls......... wasn't discovered/addressed during the prototype-phase testing. ((( Tarsacci has same issue! ))).

Testing a couple of concepts in the test-garden last night (first time for Deus-2 in test-garden!)....... I went into: MODE....then DISCRIM......,,,,,,,,........,,,,,,,,........ only to discover "DISCRIM" has absolutely nothing to do with Discrimination. But/rather..... EVERYTHING to do with "Tone-Break". I have a nail that ID's as a '4'. I have a paperclip that ID's as a '2'. If I set DISCRIM on '5'....... the paperclip and nail will then ID as a low tone.........and with full Volume. The nail and paperclip are NOT discriminated out (not silent). If I place DISCRIM on '5'......... AND drop Iron Volume down to '0'....... THEN (and only then) are the nail & paperclip discriminated out (can no longer hear). Deus-2 DISCRIM needs to be renamed: Tone Break. ((( This feature is an adjustable Tone Break set-point feature. Needs to be labeled correctly as such. ))). Is anybody else experiencing this? = = = = OR......am I doing something totally wrong . , . , . , . , . , . and the owners manual explains this perfectly/clearly??? I still have yet to read the owners manual. (On purpose).

I do have to say: For XP's first entrant into the World with a SMF based platform...... the Deus-2 is phenomenal! And I basis this off of just ONE short beach hunt!

By virtue of what the Deus-2 will find......... is TELLING.
By virtue of what the Deus-2 will NOT find....... is even more TELLING.
(More on this...... as time/experience/observations accrues).

In an air-test (in test-garden environment)...... Beach Sensitive will detect some very small gold jewelry items; yet, when these exact same small gold jewelry items are resting on the surface of the wet-salt sand..... their detection performance is formidably hindered. I suspect one (of two) things.
1. Multi-freq quiescence .... additional blowback/flyback mitigation implementation needed.
2. Possible coil paint-shield microphonics issue.
On the same line: When coil is passed over a small gold jewelry item...... the detection is fairly strong ....with the first coil sweep. With the second passing coil sweep...... detection strength is cut in half. On the third (and subsequent) coil passes....... the small gold jewelry item is no longer detectable. It is 'tracked out'. And....... Ground Tracking is: "OFF". --- This is with the gold jewelry resting on the surface of the wet-salt sand.

All of my custom settings are not saved..... when the unit is turned 'OFF'. This is frustrating! I think I am forced to make/create a 'custom program'.
August 21, 2022 03:14PM
I look forward to seeing more of your findings...As for the coil scrub I showed in in a video here back in the winter and it did fine..A local guy posted that salt content here is different in the summer than in the winter...I did not know that...So the settings we were using for the testing he had to tweak some to get it perform stable for him this summer...
Wait till you try it in the iron...FAST program is a..well lets see what youy think..
August 21, 2022 03:45PM
Having fun yet,Tom?
I think you will have to go over the manual. All types of hunting are programed for us and customizable. Want to keep/save it? Put it in the custom department. I'm not used to that either. I'll be at the Jersey beaches soon and the 8000 will be my sidekick . . . . not sure I want to waste my beach detecting time with a unit I'm still scratching my head with. I'll bring it with me in case I get in the mood for fiddling and testing . . . . usually I just want to get to swinging, finding and learning on the hunt.

With your professionalism and knowledge along with calabashes enthusiasm, we can conquer this thing. Looking forward to your findings and assessments with the D2. You helped me tremendously with the CZ3d and the f-75 in the past.
August 21, 2022 03:47PM
Tom Quote
"Testing a couple of concepts in the test-garden last night (first time for Deus-2 in test-garden!)....... I went into: MODE....then DISCRIM......,,,,,,,,........,,,,,,,,........ only to discover "DISCRIM" has absolutely nothing to do with Discrimination. But/rather..... EVERYTHING to do with "Tone-Break". I have a nail that ID's as a '4'. I have a paperclip that ID's as a '2'. If I set DISCRIM on '5'....... the paperclip and nail will then ID as a low tone.........and with full Volume. The nail and paperclip are NOT discriminated out (not silent). If I place DISCRIM on '5'......... AND drop Iron Volume down to '0'....... THEN (and only then) are the nail & paperclip discriminated out (can no longer hear). Deus-2 DISCRIM needs to be renamed: Tone Break. ((( This feature is an adjustable Tone Break set-point feature. Needs to be labeled correctly as such. ))). Is anybody else experiencing this? = = = = OR......am I doing something totally wrong . , . , . , . , . , . and the owners manual explains this perfectly/clearly??? I still have yet to read the owners manual. (On purpose)."

This has been my experience, too Tom. I was actually running a discrimination of 28 due to bad black sand. I found it works more like a tone break rather than Discrimination, except I turned my iron Volume to 1 to get rid of everything. Test after test showed no depth loss as opposed to a factory setting of "8". But these tests were on wild deep targets, not in a test garden.

My lowest gold chain tested at "32", this is why I set the discrimination to 28. And the answer is yes, it helped greatly with the black Sand interference.

You probably will NOT get Beach Sensitive to work with wet sand/water contact Tom. [we could not] You will have a tough time to get a high sensitivity out of "Beach" , but if you do not have black sand you should be able to get this to work.

In my case, I could only get Beach Pitch and Dive mode to work in Wet Sand/ Water contact. With Beach Pitch being the less effective of the two.

As for your "tracking" issue. I only run tracking and have NEVER had an issue "tracking out" any targets, in fact, Tracking only seems to make the Deus more stable on the wet sand water contact. This was in Beach, Beach Pitch, and Dive mode!

You will be able to run the coil on the ground.....I do. Yes, it might cost a point or two of sens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2022 03:49AM by midalake.
August 21, 2022 05:55PM
Good report so far Tom!!

I was on the fence on the Deus2 but I should? have one in next couple of weeks myself if things works out .We will see if it works out if i get's here or not.

I was scared the multi would kill the reactivity of the regular Deus which is the whole DNA of the Deus platform.

I've refrained from watching videos or reading about it which has been hard but didnt want to route my thoughts on it from initial run.

There's something in back of my head about it in unmasking that I want to know for sure if I'm right or wrong.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 22, 2022 12:29AM
Following this thread.

Been running ole Deus 2 quite a bit for months.
What might surprise a person in their thinking associated with this machine as it relates to Deus 1 (either LF or HF coils)?
Believe it or not, don't be surprised to find some higher conductors left by other detectors. Deus 1 any and all coils won't give enough intelligible signal to alert user.
Been there and done that.
And some other Deus 2 users I know have too.

Cheers.
August 22, 2022 02:42AM
THANKS for the inputs.... guys!
(((Keith...... in a very short prelim....... D2 looks to unmask at flagship level. But I need more time/experience/data.....to completely validate))).

More beach hunts...... more observations/data:

* Deus-2 is teaching me how to keep the coil away from the ground.
* I was able to run Sens on 77...... and all other settings maxed-out..... with the coil suspended above the ground.
* VERY definitive analysis/testing = Deus-2 will acquire a Nickel to 13.7" deep. Keep in mind: This is with exceptionally high salt concentrate (Florida) beach conditions.
* Deus-2 will acquire a Nickel at 16.0" deep in the wet-salt...... under extremely controlled conditions ( 'variables' converted/held at a: 'constant' ). BUT...... with these extreme settings.......they are not usable for normal hunting conditions. If % of salt volume/concentrate is somewhat reduced (like further up North.....cooler water)....... this performance level is most-probably ascertainable/do'able.
* Bobby-pins ID around '2' or '3'.
* Deep targets....... regardless of: ----ferrous.....or.......non-ferrous----......... will ID as 'iron'.....or...... no VDI ID....... or (more commonly) as 'salt' (((of which is below 0))). Remember...... DEEP targets do not generate enough signal-strength to generate a ID.
* Still encountering very deep targets that 'disappear' (nulling).........or.........the audio presentation/report is: 'clipped'. D2 will 'detune' to minute' signal-strength targets.
* More data acquired.....therefore: Revised numbers = last 23% of depth-of-detection-range..... ID accuracy is 'difficult'.
* I am still surprised that "Beach Sensitive" Mode even works.......(and quite well)....... here in HIGH-salt concentrate Florida.
* Wet-salt iron ID accuracy is top-notch. (((From an engineering standpoint....... this is exceptionally difficult))).
* My back was moderately sore today...... due to short shaft length.
August 22, 2022 03:31AM
Mr Dankowski.
Here's cheap way to buy yourself it looks like additional 2.5" of lower rod length.
[www.detectorprospector.com]
August 22, 2022 12:08PM
THANKS David! I will probably NEED to do that!
BUT/ALSO....... I know Steveg is feverishly working on a new D2 shaft......and may have it done in the (soon) future.
calabash......that is high on my list to test. . . . and hope to commence inland hunting ...fairly soon. XP's DNA has always been known for iron infestation type of work......and mega-trashy site work. (I've toyed with it....just a tad.....thus far).
August 22, 2022 01:57PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THANKS for the inputs.... guys!
> (((Keith...... in a very short prelim....... D2 lo
> oks to unmask at flagship level. But I need more t
> ime/experience/data.....to completely validate))).
>
> More beach hunts...... more observations/data:
>
> * Deus-2 is teaching me how to keep the coil away
> from the ground.
> * I was able to run Sens on 77...... and all other
> settings maxed-out..... with the coil suspended ab
> ove the ground.

> * VERY definitive analysis/testing = Deus-2 will a
> cquire a Nickel to 13.7" deep. Keep in mind: This
> is with exceptionally high salt concentrate (Flori
> da) beach conditions.
> * Deus-2 will acquire a Nickel at 16.0" deep in th
> e wet-salt...... under extremely controlled condit
> ions ( 'variables' converted/held at a: 'constant'
> ). BUT...... with these extreme settings.......the
> y are not usable for normal hunting conditions. If
> % of salt volume/concentrate is somewhat reduced (
> like further up North.....cooler water)....... thi
> s performance level is most-probably ascertainable
> /do'able.
> * Bobby-pins ID around '2' or '3'.
> * Deep targets....... regardless of: ----ferrous..
> ...or.......non-ferrous----......... will ID as 'i
> ron'.....or...... no VDI ID....... or (more common
> ly) as 'salt' (((of which is below 0))). Remember.
> ..... DEEP targets do not generate enough signal-s
> trength to generate a ID.
> * Still encountering very deep targets that 'disap
> pear' (nulling).........or.........the audio prese
> ntation/report is: 'clipped'. D2 will 'detune' to
> minute' signal-strength targets.
> * More data acquired.....therefore: Revised number
> s = last 23% of depth-of-detection-range..... ID
> accuracy is 'difficult'.
> * I am still surprised that "Beach Sensitive" Mode
> even works.......(and quite well)....... here in H
> IGH-salt concentrate Florida.
> * Wet-salt iron ID accuracy is top-notch. (((From
> an engineering standpoint....... this is exception
> ally difficult))).
> * My back was moderately sore today...... due to s
> hort shaft length.

Hi Tom
Can you expand on your "other settings maxed out" comment. I know beach conditions are different everywhere and your black sand content is very low {nonexistent}. Our testing showed a huge drop off starting at 84 sensitivity. I am a little surprized that the Deus2 can see a 13" nickel at Sensitivity of "77". Thus, my inquiry on all your other settings.

Can you also engage an exact program with the same settings except in "beach" and the max sensitivity you can run that at? Compared to "beach sensitive" Reason: I am guessing you will be able to run "beach" at a sensitivity of 92 to 95. It may be more "huntable"
Also Tom, if you want to save any changes you made that day, you have to save the whole program over. The D2 will not stay on your settings from the day before.
Thanks Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2022 03:32AM by midalake.
August 22, 2022 10:06PM
Sounds promising Tom!!

Thanks

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 23, 2022 01:59AM
Dave. Sure. As follows:

Beach Sensitive
Reactivity '0'
Salt Sensitivity '9'
Audio Response '7'
Iron Volume '5'
PITCH
Nothing 'Notched'
Sens '78' (today)
Ground Balance '85' (today)
Audio Volume '9'
Discrim '0'

Reverified 13.7" deep Nickel (today)...... just shy of waters edge. VERY weak (but discernable) signal..... with no ID; yet, a very tight paramagnetic/diamagnetic non-moving audio report.
What am I forgetting??? I think this is all of the settings.

I have not tested DIVING & BEACH Modes enough (yet)...... to intelligently convey/impart data. Only BEACH SENSITIVE Mode.

My unit has a P13 & P14 program already in it. Not sure 'why'. (I thought the factory only provided 12 programs).
I went ahead and 'saved' my special-settings beach program into slot: P15.

My next intent: Dive deep into the Owners Manual.
August 23, 2022 02:46AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Dave. Sure. As follows:
>
> Beach Sensitive
> Reactivity '0'
> Salt Sensitivity '9'
> Audio Response '7'
> Iron Volume '5'
> PITCH
> Nothing 'Notched'
> Sens '78' (today)
> Ground Balance '85' (today)
> Audio Volume '9'
> Discrim '0'
>
> Reverified 13.7" deep Nickel (today)...... just sh
> y of waters edge. VERY weak (but discernable) sign
> al..... with no ID; yet, a very tight paramagnetic
> /diamagnetic non-moving audio report.
> What am I forgetting??? I think this is all of th
> e settings.
>
> I have not tested DIVING & BEACH Modes enough (yet
> )...... to intelligently convey/impart data. Only
> BEACH SENSITIVE Mode.
>
> My unit has a P13 & P14 program already in it. Not
> sure 'why'. (I thought the factory only provided 1
> 2 programs).
> I went ahead and 'saved' my special-settings beach
> program into slot: P15.
>
> My next intent: Dive deep into the Owners Manual.

Forgetting??>>
Magnetic Ground accept/reject?
How many tones?
Bottle cap Reject?
Silencer setting?
Threshold?

I have not found the magic sauce {yet} to routinely identify a nonferrous target that does NOT TID anymore with the Deus2. There are LOTS of detectors that can hear things Tom. But to be realistic, I think depth of positive ID is more important than depth of hearing.

Thanks for your testing and hard work Tom [because it is hard]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2022 03:50AM by midalake.
August 23, 2022 03:03AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Dave. Sure. As follows:
>
> Beach Sensitive
> Reactivity '0'
> Salt Sensitivity '9'
> Audio Response '7'
> Iron Volume '5'
> PITCH
> Nothing 'Notched'
> Sens '78' (today)
> Ground Balance '85' (today)
> Audio Volume '9'
> Discrim '0'
>
> Reverified 13.7" deep Nickel (today)...... just sh
> y of waters edge. VERY weak (but discernable) sign
> al..... with no ID; yet, a very tight paramagnetic
> /diamagnetic non-moving audio report.
> What am I forgetting??? I think this is all of th
> e settings.
>
> I have not tested DIVING & BEACH Modes enough (yet
> )...... to intelligently convey/impart data. Only
> BEACH SENSITIVE Mode.
>
> My unit has a P13 & P14 program already in it. Not
> sure 'why'. (I thought the factory only provided 1
> 2 programs).
> I went ahead and 'saved' my special-settings beach
> program into slot: P15.
>
> My next intent: Dive deep into the Owners Manual.

Tom,
You have option to delete those programs in those slots if you wish. They are created from actual base programs. You can later make your own to satisfy your needs/wishes. XP just put these in software.

Almost forgot. Next time you are out. Compare tone/signal with your 0 disc setting and raise disc up to around 6-6.8 and see if signal sounds any different (better).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2022 03:09AM by tnsharpshooter.
August 23, 2022 12:15PM
I am curious since i know a few on here have the MDT Tom. How does it compare? Scrubbing the coil at high sensitivity especially in the salt water and up sloops can make most machines chatter/false. The question is can it be tamed and if so whats the cons to that? I have no doubt SteveG will come up with a great shaft to help you with that length. I have a friend or two who have the Deus so im comparing notes with them since they have both the MDT and Deus. But right now it doesnt seem any machine is bring home the gold with any regularity. Thank you Tom for all the info and good to see you have a bit of time to get to the beach with this machine. Interesting to read how its doing without reading the manual. Thus far i have to say the best manual written was for the Nox.
August 23, 2022 02:13PM
Dave...... my Tones are: PITCH (This is a VCO-based system whereby..... 'rise-in-frequency' .....and..... 'Volume' ....is merely/exclusively dictated by signal-strength. Zero 'conductivity' data).

Threshold: '0'. ----Which brings up a value-added/interesting subject = Threshold does not appear to be tied to (((a part of))) the actual target audio. It is a SEPARATE tone...all by itself. If you use a threshold tone . , . , . , . , . , .......When you are detecting....you hear a threshold tone. When you hit a target......you still have a threshold tone with another ADDITIONAL tone placed on TOP of the threshold tone. Which is to say: you will be hearing two tones (riding on top of each other).......when you pass over a target.
Now. With all of that said. Maybe in Gold Mode........ the Threshold audio is REAL! And when you detect a piece of metal..... the Threshold tone THEN "changes" with the according/detected target.

B. Caps = '0' ----This is a hard-to-talk-about subject. If you are a novice detectorist...... you may want a much higher B.Caps setting.,.,.,.,.,.,., so as to make audible intelligibility easier for steel bottlecaps that 'false-ID' as a good non-ferrous target.........to: more properly ID'ing as an iron/ferrous target. If you have good skillset & understanding......and have been detecting the beaches for years.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., you will want B.Caps on '0'.......allowing most steel bottlecaps to false-ID into the non-ferrous range. What this does for you.....is..... allow for deeper non-ferrous targets to 'hold on' to their non-ferrous ID numbers...to deeper depths.,.,.,., especially in a salt environment. (((Remember: salt ID's as iron. And a weak signal from a gold target.......ADDED to the iron/salt signal....... equates to disaster!!!))).

Silencer = 2. I have made the terrible mistake of leaving it on Factory Preset (of 2). This may 'clear' some of my popping/crackling issues....from weak/deep targets.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., TO INCLUDE: completely silencing the weak/deep targets!

Magnetic Ground accept/reject. And this may be my worst...... most FATAL mistake......... that could potentially COMPLETELY INVALIDATE ALL of my findings/testings that I have reported (posted)........ thus far........ to date. I did not know there is a program called "Magnetic Ground". (((Deliberately...... I have not read the owners manual.....yet))). Soooooo......... fairly deep in one of the sub-menus....... is Magnetic Ground accept/reject. I JUST found it.....and in a (I assume) Factory Preset of: "REJECT". Because I did not know this program existed....... it has been in REJECT for ALL of my detecting......and reportings. All of the testing has been performed in a zero-magnetic-sand environment; yet, with magnetic sand in REJECT Mode. I do not know how much this has killed performance /// invalidated data /// altered 'findings'. I'll have to: Return-To-Zero.......and start all of my testing/analysis...all over again.

Sorry guys!!!! This detector is MUCH more complex......than meets-the-eye!

David/TNSS...... yes, I 'could' delete P13 & P14 programs. BUT....... I'm trying to figure out if they are FROM THE FACTORY............or.............something else. IF they are Factory programs....... does the unit allow a user to DELETE Factory programs???

On the subject of Factory Programs. There's a LOT of them!!! And they appear to be VERY well thought-out. What surprises me the most is........ how HOT these programs are.....and from the factory! Most Mfr's have VERY 'tame' factory programs. NOT XP!!!

Dew. Stand by!!!! I have to start ALL of my testing...... ALL OVER AGAIN!!!! My current data may be completely invalid....(or partially invalid).....due to my unsuspecting wrongful settings. REMIND me ...to compare Deus-2 to the Tarsacci........ if/should I forget.

Back to the drawing-board!!!
August 23, 2022 03:42PM
Hate to say "I told you so" Tom . . . I'll say it again, "Read the manual".
August 23, 2022 03:43PM
Tom,
Here's short video 2:49 - I did just for you talking about factory programs as well as the Beach P and Fast 40 programs.
[m.youtube.com]

Here's one more short video for you. You may find helpful.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2022 04:20PM by tnsharpshooter.
August 23, 2022 08:12PM
Steve...... I'm trying to play the role of: Newbie! And see IF I can learn the unit without the manual.
Lessons Learned:
If you are a beginner/novice....... the turn-on-and-go mode is good.
If you are an experienced/technical/detail-oriented perfectionist ....... then READ THE OWNERS MANUAL!!!
In any regard; Deus-II is NOT: K.I.S.S. theory!!!

TNSS ..... THANKS for the two videos. I had NO idea of the shortcut: Simultaneously press the two right buttons..... and the ID screen will go: Full Screen.
Due to your (provided) data....... I looked at my P13 program........which shows P12 to the left. Meaning...... it is a NON-FACTORY special/customized program. P14 has a P7 to the left. Same thing: P14 is NOT a Factory Program. I do not know how these two (extra/not factory) programs got into this detector...... as this detector is NEW. It may have been demo'd at the factory; hence, a couple of extra programs. Yes....... I am aware that I can delete these two programs; yet, I want to look/see what they are!!!......and if they are (any form of) useful.

I'm just glad that all of you guys are witnessing/seeing my learning-curve. ((( And for many reasons)))!!!
Keep in mind: Last month....... I hit 50-years of detecting. ((( I am now 60-years old. )))

I cannot figure out how to go below '0' with Disc.....whilst in Beach Sensitive. No....... I do not want to go down to -6.4..... but I DO want to place Disc down to where tiny fine gold jewelry resides.

So far.... It appears the battery in the remote lasts 2X longer than the battery in the coil.

I just started reading the Owners Manual. It is VERY well orchestrated/written! BUT...... it is much more semblant of a short: Quick Start guide. Short read. Not too detailed. ( I have found 2 errors in the manual...... thus far. ).
August 23, 2022 09:23PM
Tom,
I am presuming your unit has latest update version software .71
Here's link where info is supplied as far as what update .71 did.
Reading this you'll find your User Manual don't even talk about some of this. Example notch in the gold field and relic programs.

[www.xpmetaldetectors.com]
What ? Skip reading the owners' manual?
August 23, 2022 10:14PM
"I am DELIBERATELY wanting to go into this D2........ as a "Newbie". . . . . . via NOT reading the owners manual right away.,.,.,.,.,.,. so as to see how 'intuitive' this detector is.......and try to run into the questions that someone new to a D2 would naturally incur.
In fact......... I am going to take it to the wet-salt beach (Florida/Atlantic Ocean)......(possibly in a couple of hours).........and see if I can figure it out WITHOUT the owners manual."

I apologize that I was chuckling to myself when I read your first post about NOT reading the manual before charging the detector and heading to the beach. Prior to purchasing my Deus 1 a few years ago, I read Andy Sabischs' Deus Handbook (both the old and newer versions). I was glad i did as XP does things a little bit different than I had become used to with other brands of detectors.

Good luck moving forwards with your testing / evaluations.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
August 24, 2022 12:31PM
Tom,
Good to see you have a D2 in hand and giving it a go. Interesting to note that you have (very early) setting on many of the same settings I have set in my custom program. Looking forward to the ‘tweaking’ stage and want to try some of the settings that you are having success with since our conditions are so similar. A few notes from my experiences:

1. The ‘stand’ is a joke, it just doesn’t work, it’s too small. I’ve suggest to some with 3D printing capabilities to create a ‘slip over’ larger stand solution. None that I know have been produced.
2. The lower shaft flex is real. But it doesn’t seem to bother me, however, the length of the shaft was off putting to me too. I bought a NM Simplex stock lower (I couldn’t find the Carbon Fiber aftermarket) and have been using it since it adds about 3 inches to the shaft and doesn’t seem to have the flex, at least with my swing speed.
3. The antenna is annoying at best. It does have to be there as you know, because you just lose communications with the coil in just 2-3 inches of water. Many have already done some internal wiring, and I probably will to. I’d rather have a shaft setup with the antenna already wired, and another for inland hunting so I don’t have to bother having it on the D2 all the time. Steve mentioned he may leave holes in his shaft set up for that purpose if he could get enough feedback that it would be useful. Maybe Steve can comment on that.
4. I have a 9” coil setup, but I have no problem ‘scrubbing’ the coil on the wet salt sand. I am not as disciplined as you are, but I do scrub quite often and I don’t have problem you described.
5. I have had very good success with custom programs built on BEACH and DIVE (tweaked up) that don’t include the ~45khz frequency. I think it’s because those progs quiet it down a bit around the water’s edge - more so than messing with Salt Sens. In some tests I ran on deepies that turned out to be gold or nickel type targets, I switched from one (custom) program to another (without 45khz) did not result in a significant loss of signal response for me.
6. I’m wondering if they chose to use “notch” with it’s extreme customization like others may use discrimination (as you mentioned it’s more a tone break), but not sure. I run flat out most of the time, to me, the less filtering the better. I too can hear the difference in targets like iron and bottle caps.
7. I’d rather set Sensitivity down, rather than Salt Sensitivity. I note a loss in depth/sensitivity more-so with the latter.
That’s my .02. Your mileage may vary.

Will be enjoying this thread, especially in your observations with 11” coil. I’ve done very good with my 9” but have no comparison. Don’t think you can order extra coils yet, so I’m just waiting for them to become available.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2022 12:36PM by Gary in Daytona.
August 24, 2022 02:10PM
Tom,

I just wanted to say I have been reading your posts and appreciate your time and feedback. I know at one time you had mentioned that you didn't feel like there was much interest from the feedback you were getting...I just wanted to be clear that it is appreciated!

There are a few nit picks with the D2 that I have...mine is mostly with the headphones. I don't like the backphones and have been looking at alternatives for those. I was hunting a spot Saturday near a highway and those big trucks would drown out everything when they would come by...especially when they would Jake brake it. I also am not a fan of the XP pinpointer. The shaft length is wobbly to me too but I have it extended out as far as it can go. I also have trouble keeping my coil flat/parallel; have to adjust it a lot. If I can get a better pair of headphones I would be happy. I actually have a set of the Quest headphones inbound so I will give those a go. I have been pulling Civil War relics out of a spot on a site that has long plagued me because of coal cinders, coke, and pig iron. The D2 has very distinctive audio nuances for the coke. I'm a big fan of the square tones vs the D1 style audio. But that's just personal preference. I'm anxiously awaiting your reports for inland hunting with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2022 02:55PM by Daniel Tn.