Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP DEUS-2 FIELD-TEST

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
JCR
Re: XP DEUS-2 FIELD-TEST
September 09, 2022 07:02PM
A logical & helpful report. I'm using The Legend but find similar characteristics to your experiences.
Thanks

Chris
September 10, 2022 01:22AM
Tom - So, getting down to where the rubber meets the road, the verdict seems to say: XP did a fair job for their first SMF offering. BUT...falls short of what you would consider to be a keeper machine for the types of hunting you do, as there are other choices currently (and soon to be) offered. Would that be a fair and accurate assessment so far?

I hadn't personally fooled around with or tested Deep HC. Mainly because coins aren't my thing and I chase low to mid conductors more often. I tried it in my yard just for curiosity sake and it did not jive well for me. Seemed like I was getting a lot of high tone falses on the edges of iron and was overall more erratic/sparky feeling. I gravitate to the Relic mode mostly...with slight tweaks to it. Then when I get into heavy iron, I've been hopping over to the General program. Probably better settings and programs out there but those are what I seem to always end up on.
September 11, 2022 01:35AM
Daniel...... are you updated with 0.71 update?

I would say that Deus-II and Tarsacci are the top two beach detectors out there. It is a genuine leader in wet-salt.......as compared to CZ, EQX, Sov/Excal.......etc.

I'm still testing Deus-II at inland sites........ so the jury is not out (yet).

And for the record....... whilst performing several inland hunts..... I did test the different settings with Ground Stabilizer.....especially over difficult/deep/masked targets. Ground Stabilizer on '1' (as to be expected)..... is more raw, unfiltered audio data. In my Florida inert dirt...... '1' is the preferred setting.

And still to this date........ Reactivity is the #1 performance control setting that the rest of the detectors performance is based from........especially in inert dirt.
September 15, 2022 09:06AM
One more (9-hour....lengthy) inland hunt....... with results/data needing recording.

The site is on the outskirts of town. A 4-acre field where an 1886 house came down in 1921. Nutshell:
* DIVING Mode expressed more EMI than DEEP HC Mode......... by about 15% - 20%. This seemed a bit unusual; yet, plausible. (((In the recent past...... it has been the other way around))).
* Deus-II needed to stick with DEEP HC Mode......for best results. There were two very distinct Freq Scan/Shift EMI noise cancel channels that I needed to vacillate between: Channel 5..... or Channel 1. All the other noise cancel channels were rendered completely ineffective.....at all times. This proved that only one 'source' was emitting: one form of EMI. I could never find what the 'source' was.
* Deeper coin-sized targets were ID'ing properly......in the 8" to 9-1/2" depth strata. There was one incursion that stood out the most. I had just found/detected a 9" deep 12-GA shotgun shell brass cap. The ID was (mildly) bouncing around the '79' ID range. I managed to get about 18 - 20 coil sweeps/passes over the target ....whilst rotating my body around the target. I had just finished rotating my body around the target....and had made 3 or 4 more coil sweeps over the target................when.............all-of-a-sudden............ the ID immediately reported as 'iron'.....and headphone static ensued. I was on Freq Scan/Shift noise cancel channel of '5'. I immediately switched over to Freq Scan/Shift noise cancel channel of '1'........... and the static 'cleared'......and the '79' (averaging) ID was immediately restored.
This incursion happened a few times during this 9-hour hunt; yet, this was the most pronounced incursion......with the most clearest/obvious electronic expression....resultant.
Earlier in the day....... only about 5-1/2 hours into the hunt........... one of these exact incursions happened (on a melted blob of lead.....about as heavy as 4 copper pennies melted together).,.,.,.,.,.,.,., I decided to switch to a few of the wrong/incorrect Freq Scan/Shift noise cancel channels. The most interesting noise cancel channel (channel 4)........which was not the noisiest noise cancel channel..........,,,,,,,,,,, this fairly strong 8" deep chunk of lead.........became completely undetectable. Not even an 'iron' ID. Nothing!
All-in-all........ a VERY educational hunt/experience.

Once again: Deus-II depth and overall performance is predicated on EMI.
September 15, 2022 09:15AM
Tom, please try RELIC. I'm using only that one and it works perfectly for me. But I'm curious about your opinion.
September 16, 2022 08:40AM
Shelton........ the last 4 concerted efforts to use the RELIC Mode...... I had encountered EMI higher than other Modes.,.,.,.,.,., so I reverted to the Mode that presented the best EMI mitigation.
BUT....... RELIC Mode is quite different from other Modes............. so I'm a bit anxious to find a site whereby RELIC Mode is the EMI winner.
I will continue to try......at each/every site that I hunt. (I may need to make a special day whereby: I go looking/hunting for a specific site where EMI happens to be the lowest whilst in RELIC Mode).
September 19, 2022 08:37PM
Looks like interest in this thread .... is rapidly dropping. After this post...... I may slow down on D2 posts.

I went out of my way to find a site whereby RELIC Mode generated minimal EMI. My primary site......turned out to be 'bust'. Bad EMI.
Secondary (backup) site..... was exactly what I was looking for.
I kept RELIC Mode in as close to factory presets...as possible; yet, I needed to drop Sens to 91...........................and.......................... in short order................... immediately had to change IAR Disc to '4'...... and sometimes '5'. This adjustment alone...... tremendously helped.
It never ceases to amaze me... JUST how MUCH iron is in the ground! With the Factory Preset audio that accompanies RELIC Mode...... it is difficult to 'cherry-pick' only the high-conductive coins. The audio is definitely a RELIC intent.
This config is a very powerful set-up. My 4th target was a copper penny (1961) just over 8" deep. ID was splattering between 26.....up to 99. BUT...... the audio was 'certain'. Clear non-ferrous.
The RELIC Mode may be designed for very large/deep targets; yet, is also perfectly suited for coin/ring sized targets.,.,.,.,., and with proper ID (as long as not too deep).

With IAR on '4'....... deep iron sounded quite good (non-ferrous); yet, I can clearly see that ..... with a steep learning-curve.......this may be the setup config of choice.,.,.,.,., because of a bit better audio clarity on any/all targets.....to include deep targets. If the site is too littered with nails...... IAR '5' is a requirement.

A medium-slow coil sweep-speed whilst in this Mode...... appeared to give better ID resolve.,.,.,., especially on deeper targets.

This Mode is hot on brass/copper/silver. NOT hot on low conductors. Utilize this to your advantage!
September 20, 2022 01:41AM
EMI has been one of my biggest complaints about the D2. In an urban setting it really suffers. In a rural setting not so much. However I'm finding the Equinox and D2 don't play well together. Just this weekend I was hunting a farm with a buddy, he was using the Equinox I was using the D2. If he got within 15 feet of me EMI would cause me to lose target audio and ID at even shallow depths. The machine doesn't even need to be that noisy to be affected by EMI. So just how much depth are we losing and don't even know about it?
September 20, 2022 02:31AM
Andrew........ and if you are 30-feet away....and do not hear EMI.....,,,,,,....... this is a perfect example of 'silent EMI'. There is no clue that you are inhibited.
September 20, 2022 10:32AM
Tom, interest isn't dropping on my end. The reason I purchased the D2 was because of its DNA for unmasking. That's what 'd like to have dissected, how this baby can be configured to beat all in pulling the coins out of a trash mess. Does it have the DNA like or better than its predecessors? I'm saddened that you may have lost interest or the unit is not keeping you excited to explore it to the max.
If your interests are elsewhere I can understand that. Maybe the D2 isn't my last detector . . .. I may have to break down after all these years and buy a Minelab.LOL!
September 20, 2022 11:54AM
Steve......... MY interest with the Deus-II is not waning. It's just that..... there appears to be very low volume of folks interested in the data I provide. I am constantly/continuously hunting with the D2 (time providing)....... to seek the exact data that you are seeking. XP has always been a top-dog/flagship at unmasking in iron.,.,.,., and that is where I place my primary focus.......,,,,,,,,,.........even though this may be a heavily 'biased' approach to this brand-new multi-task capable platform.

Also............. something I meant to report:

With quite a bit more aggregate data collected....... it appears the Deus-II will find the correct EMI channel 65% of the time whilst performing an Auto Noise Cancel. That's a high score! The 35% remainder balance.....nearly all the time.......the D2 will select the 2nd best EMI Noise Cancel Frequency Scan channel. Keep in mind.............. there are plenty of times whereby....... out of the 7 available Noise Cancel channels......,,,,,,,,........none of the 7 will present any EMI mitigation what-so-ever. (((In all fairness ....... EQX can be/do/express exactly the same problem))).

Once again: The determinant of performance..... is solely predicated on EMI.
September 20, 2022 07:35PM
No loss of interest here, please Tom do not reduce Your D2 quest/efforts any more than absolutely necessary.
September 20, 2022 07:59PM
By all means Mr Dankowski keep posting data. Nothing like good data.

Here's video (EMI test) using Deus 2 with Equinox 800 (edge of coil) inside of 4 ft of deus 2. Sweeping silver dime above ground.
Disclaimer. 25 ft to my front and up in the air is power lines.and behind me a dwelling with current and ac unit in use along with wifi etc.

[m.youtube.com]

Likely a worst case scenario.
4" dime air test not go with deus 2. Maybe even 3". And this is knowing where it is. Remember that. Lots of noise. Even when no target is present.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2022 09:04PM by tnsharpshooter.
September 20, 2022 08:42PM
I'm interested, I read every post even though I have absolutely zero interest in buying d2. I still feel like the thought process of learning a detector helps me in understanding what's happening when I do get to go
JCR
September 21, 2022 01:20AM
I'm with Pedlar mills.

Chris
September 21, 2022 01:40AM
NASA-Tom -- I, like Pedlar Mills, will probably not buy a D2 either. But, I'm reading every one of your reports with interest.

Steve
September 21, 2022 03:12AM
Thanks guys. Then I shall press-forward. But........ new discoveries with D2 are happening at a lessor rate. I'm now in the 'long-term' analyzation phase...... seeing/testing if I can squeeze another ounce/inch out of it.
If I run in to any 'new discoveries'......... I shall post/report.
September 21, 2022 09:02AM
I think the interest is there in anything you post Tom, but it is hard to generate the interaction with so few members that have a D2, and as noted, few have interest in getting one. Especially now that the M-Core is lurking in the shadows. That in itself probably put people in the "wait and see" mind set. When I bought my D2, I only did so out of wanting something different than everybody else had. I think everybody around here that still detects, jumped onto the Equinox wagon. I ended up liking it for what I do although I have yet to dunk mine in the water.
September 21, 2022 09:37AM
Yes, by all means, please keep the posts coming Tom. Lots of us are taking them in and learning, but unless we have something useful to add, we just don’t comment. Your input is greatly appreciated.
September 21, 2022 02:22PM
I check this thread a couple times a day.

I have the D2 and enjoy the shared information by Tom and others. Helps me understand the settings and programs faster/easier than I have been able to figure out on my own.

Please continue to share.
JCR
September 21, 2022 02:25PM
NASA Tom, After you finish wringing out the Deus 2 & the Manticore I know I, and suspect many others would love & benefit from a thorough shake down on The Legend. Thanks for all you posts & teaching.

Chris
September 21, 2022 10:24PM
Tom your insights are the only reason I visit this forum.I also happen to own a d2 so please keep it up if you have the time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2022 10:26PM by Jesse.
September 21, 2022 11:46PM
Well then!
Here's another Deus-II data-dump:

I've been running a concept .... with Deus-II.... in the background. As I seek to 'maximum unmask'......(XP's forte)...... I look at tangential angles to perform such..... in the best possible efficiency. Soooo....... I will try to bulletize.... in a nutshell:

Program 2, 3 & 4 (SENSITIVE, SENSI FULL-TONES & FAST) ..... all are performing within a small handful of percent of each other..... in regards to: unmasking in heavily iron polluted sites.
* Many times..... I will find a bunch of targets whilst in Program 2. Then test each target with Program 3 & Program 4. Compare notes.
* Then I will find a bunch of targets whilst in Program 3. Then test each target with Program 2 & Program 4. Compare notes.
* Then I will find a bunch of targets whilst in Program 4. Then test each target with Program 2 & Program 3. Compare notes.
NUTSHELL: There are some minor differences between these Modes; yet, very similar/compatible performance end-resultant.

BUT. BUT. BUT.
Here's where there is new data-acquisition:
Of ALL the targets (above) found with Program 2, Program 3 & Program 4....................... I would head-to-head compare them to Program 1 GENERAL. THIS is truly where the rubber-meets-the-road epiphany/paradox/end-resultant "efficiency" factor PRESENTS.
NUTSHELL: About 9% of the targets found in Program 2, 3 & 4....... are completely undetectable to Program 1. BUT = Program 1 punches about 35% deeper; hence, FINDS APPROX 37% MORE (and deeper/older) TARGETS..... over Program 2, 3 & 4.
Should I say: Choose your Program WISELY. NO!!!!
More like: Choose your TIME-allotment WISELY!
I WANT to compare Program 2, 3 & 4......... to Program 6 DEEP HIGH CONDUCTORS. (My most preferred hunting Mode). But. That would be TOO FAR away from apples-to-apples comparison. Program 1, 2, 3 & 4 are VERY similar in frequency; hence/subsequently..... target similar conductivity(ies) bandwidth. Let's keep: Apples-to-apples.

I've also been comparing ALL of the above....... to EQX (& MC).

It's all about the real-World performance data!

I don't know HOW much more... I can ring-out the Deus-II!
September 22, 2022 05:08AM
Hi there Tom, enjoying very much you testing the Deus 2. I also have one and have learned to like it a lot in trashy areas of fresh water lakes that I do a lot of my hunting. With the Deus 2 I'm finding small brass and thin cut silver artifacts from the fur trade era along with copper culture artifacts. This location is really quite unique to be on a water site that shares 2 and possibly more periods of time in history that were inhabited. Prehistoric and historic [contact period]. My question is; to use notch or descrim out? Will I loose depth choosing one over the other? My culprit is the almighty brass shot shell end. VID #s come in anywhere from 75 -87. They are just prolific everywhere, carpet of nails, no. Carpet of shot shells yes. But of course there are several artifacts that fall within those numbers, like brass buttons, and other small mid conductors. What I have been doing thus far is keeping the audio gate open and just giving that band of numbers its own low tone bin. But there are certain areas that your ears just get too numb from the shells. The lake use to be a major commercial duck hunting place. Right now I use program 4 modified to my personal settings. Reactivity set to 1, slower sweep speed in the water. 94 sensitivity, bottle cap notch off, silencer off,4 tone, ground stability at 1 and ground grab. My descrim is set to 6.5. I like the #4 program because I think it also responds quite well to the high copper conductors I find at this location. Would you concur with these settings Tom, or use something else? Out of the Deus 2 low conductor programs, have you found one that is also good and sensitive to high conductors? Thanks for your knowledge and input Tom.
September 22, 2022 06:34AM
I'm starting to see individual coils available for the D2 now. Do you think it would be of any benefit to get the 9 inch coil or would the difference be so minute that it would be a waste of $?
September 22, 2022 08:25AM
Tom, how do you like the D2 as a jewelry hunter?...freshwater beaches/lakes, modern trash (pull tabs, can slaw) picnic areas, tot lots etc?
September 22, 2022 12:23PM
NASA-TOM, it would be an interesting test to see how much interference from an equinox affects the detection depth of the Deus 2 and vice versa. Both detectors could be turned on and set to their best/ similar settings and do depth tests individually. Next turn both detectors on at the same time within thirty feet of each other, do a noise cancel and retest for depth. This would simulate a crowded construction lot hunt or a competition hunt and possibly show how well each detector is shielded.
September 22, 2022 01:07PM
Tnsharpshooter did a test like that with the EQ only 5 or 6 feet away.
September 22, 2022 01:41PM
glasartisan...... the first thing that comes to my mind is: TRY PROGRAM-1 !!! This GENERAL program is good on low conductors AND high conductors. I would recommend a Reactivity setting of 1 to start with. I would recommend Silencer off...... Bottlecap notch off.,.,., assuming you are not having issues with steel bottlecaps. Make sure to perform a Freq Scan (EMI Noise Cancel).....so as to allow you to run Sens as high as possible,.,. AND to assure that deep targets do not ID as 'iron'. Yes..... Ground Stabilizer on '1'.,.,.,which your conditions most-probably allow. Audio Response on (at least) 6.... prefer 7. If the brass shotshell bases are overwhelming...... then I would recommend Notch.
See if Program-1 is deep enough..... and sensitive enough to your targeted conductors/targets.
Be careful that Program-1 retains similar ID's to your Program-4. Program-4 is also good on low & high conductors; yet, Program-1 adds a different twist.....due to slightly different bias on the employed multi-freqs.

Daniel....... because the Deus platform is notorious for unmasking (actually: enhanced adjacent target separation characteristics)..... yes, a smaller coil is beneficial in severely trashy places...... such as: underneath structures (houses) that have been lifted/removed.
Tangential explanation/example: It is very rare that I use the 6" coil on the EQX. But...... when the time arises ....... the 6" coil is critical.

Mike....... if you are freshwater hunting for jewelry..... NEVER use any of the Beach programs (Program 10, 11, 12). So far...... for dry sand and inland hunting for jewelry.,.,.,., it appears Program-1 GENERAL..... and Program-2 SENSITIVE are performing the best. If the area(s) are not too trashy..... keep Reactivity low. , . , . , around 0.5 or 1. Run Sens as high as conditions allow.

Shaky......... TNSS/Tnsharpshooter has posted some good videos on this forum...... on exactly this. These videos are also very educational for all detectorists.... and different brand detectors.
September 30, 2022 05:32PM
Sorry Tom, I had to chuckle at this thought that passed through my brain. It may be that the technology made a longer leap when the cz3d or even the f-75 were introduced to the market verses the Deus2. The floor time for the f-75 was extensive compared to the D2. Yes, I am bustin your chops a bit, but not in a derogatory way, just an elbow with a smile. My guess is because the D2 isn't anything super spectacular as compared to many other detectors . . . run of the mill comes to mind. I do thank you for your reports on it, they will help me plenty as I am not geared to be a testing guy like you, tnss and calabash . . . I'm more of a "hope to learn something" whilst out in the field detecting . . . although I don't get out nearly as much as in the past.