Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP DEUS-2 FIELD-TEST

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: XP DEUS-2 FIELD-TEST
August 30, 2022 02:03AM
VERY interesting 'catch' and observation.
Using DIVING program in an unorthodox way..... and having unique results/success.
August 30, 2022 02:30AM
One more short video. Last one. Don't want to turn your thread into a my video dumping ground. Notice ID tendencies using beach as salt sens is raised and lowered. Use of dive or beach could be way to go to work around emi too possibly in some sites.
[m.youtube.com]
August 30, 2022 10:41AM
David. Again. VERY interesting 'catches' (observations)! And these are the EXACT types of nuances we need to 'catch' and understand. Then put them to our workable/employable in-the-field advantages. Or..... if they are too much of a gross error....... have the factory correct....and issue a new update.

Yes. Especially with Equinox...... it is not uncommon for me to use the Modes in a very unorthodox/unconventional way. I would primarily use the different Modes as a different EMI Noise Cancel channel!!! Many times EMI was so bad in my intended hunt program. Say.....for example: I'm at an inland/dirt/turf site whereby: Park Mode-1 is the pinnacle (and deliberately intended/designed program) for deep silver intent. BUT...... EMI is so bad that....even any/all Noise Cancel channels cannot resolve. I can either LEAVE the site and go elsewhere ........... or .......... (say) switch over to Beach Mode-1 as an EMI mitigation tool (unorthodoxed, unintended design-intent)......which may provide the opportunity to KEEP you in-the-game via mitigating enough EMI that you can (now) hunt this site. Another option would be to switch over to the Tarsacci or Manticore.

David....... as you discover these things with the XP Deus-II....... DUMP it on this thread! They are 'value-added' discoveries! I have been soooooo busy with Deus-II real-World beach hunting....that I have not had the time to play/discover these other anomalies/nuances. Heck. , . , . I haven't had much time at all...at inland sites with Deus-II yet. Truthfully.....most of my time is consumed with nearly all energy/time/labor/effort going into Manticore.......trying to get a product developed that'll sweep the market.
Re: XP DEUS-2 FIELD-TEST c
August 31, 2022 12:25AM
Great information Tom and David. I have settled on many, if not most of your settings in Beach Sensitive, including Audio Response 7 and Reactivity of 1.5, and just recently taking the discrimination down to 0 to quiet it down. I don’t mind hearing the iron with a ‘clean background’. I can run Sensitivity at around 95-97 IF I don’t try to jack up the Salt Sensitivity up to over 7 or 8 (max in my area). Unfortunately, it was much experimentation while actively hunting that brought me to the settings, but you and David have confirmed that these settings are close to the best I can run until further experimentation is completed. Still toying with bottle caps settings because without a little adjustment on that, you WILL dig bottle caps.
Tom, I did not notice that it took that many pumps to get the ground balance to work down until you mentioned it. I was running 87 but now I’m seeing that it’s balancing out around 82 or 83.
Weirdly, I feel like the detector is a little bit ‘jumpier” when the antenna is attached, but I haven’t heard this from anyone else.
I have been watching almost all of David’s videos along with others to learn more about this, but you can reach data overload so I’ve been slowing down lately. But great information David.

Tom, the only coil battery level I know of is in the information area in the lower left of the screen on the remote, (in the area that annoyingly toggles back and forth with other data).

Looking forward to further information. Thanks guys.
August 31, 2022 04:06AM
Hmmmmmmmmm. Gary....... I TOO..... feel like the Deus-II is more 'chatty' when the inductively-coupled coil wire is installed. I did not report this..... because I want to prove/validate this. I (initially) thought I was incurring a bit more EMI; yet, kinda knew it was most-probably the coil wire. Still searching for more proof-positive.....before making this claim.
August 31, 2022 03:21PM
Finally...... I took Deus-II to a trashed-out inland site. My intent was to try two different Modes..... and collect data.
Results/findings:

P4 = Program-4 FAST Mode. This is a very well thought-out configuration. Deliberately....... I kept all settings at Factory Preset ..... with the exception of EMI-mitigating "Freq Scan".....,,,,,,, and "Sensitivity". This Mode is extremely hot on low conductors....in the ID range of 26-40.......and will pick them out of iron trash.... at a World class level.,.,.,and in Simultaneous Multi-Frequency format. I stayed within the confines of a "carpets-of-nails" scenario house-site. This Mode is only good for a few inches of depth on coin/ring sized targets. I never exceeded 5" of depth on any target. The clarity of a non-ferrous target (amongst carpets of nails).....and the ID accuracy of a non-ferrous target...that is amongst nails.,.,.,.,., is impressive.
I was encountering EMI fairly strongly. Many times..... an auto Freq Scan OR a manual scan....did not correct the EMI problem. I had to reduce Sens down to 74. This dropped max depth down to about 4". There were times when each individual noise cancel channel/freq imposed absolutely no delta/difference. I feel the number of noise cancel freqs is insufficient ((there's only 7.....ranging from 0-6))...... AND the 'span' of the freq's is not wide/broad enough. I believe the higher frequencies of Program-4 FAST Mode..... in concert with a high Reactivity Factory Preset setting (of 3)...... accentuated the EMI error to a greater extent.
On many, many targets....... I experimented with different settings ..... to see if I could enhance performance. The single-most, largest 'enhancer' is: Reactivity. (((No surprise here!))). On ALL targets..... dropping Reactivity down from a factory preset of '3'..... down to 2.5: enhanced the intelligence of a badly handicapped non-ferrous target. The target then became louder, clearer...and had better ID resolve. Continuing to drop Reactivity lower....... and the targets started to encounter a bit of audible 'blurryness'. Not 'clear'. Incrementally raising reactivity up to '4' (and beyond)...... made many of the badly handicapped non-ferrous targets disappear from detection.
With Audio Response Factory Preset of '4'..... is a bit too low. Non-ferrous targets were MUCH clearer when Audio Response was placed on 6 or 7. BIG difference!
Iron Volume Factory Preset of '3'..... is ok. My age/hearing-level preferred a setting of '2'.
There were some areas whereby.... nails were a bit more sparce..... and THIS is when the detector would stretch down to the full 5+ inches of depth.....whilst in P4.
One of my biggest concerns is geographics-personal. Living in Florida..... our dirt is like the texture of a sponge. VERY loose, VERY soft dirt (sandbar). Objects/targets sink RAPIDLY. There is less-than 1% of dirt sites in Florida whereby..... Program-4 poses any value-added formidable performance. , . , . , . , being that P4 only goes to depths of about 5". BUT..... If there is a site whereby...... an old house was 'lifted' (and discarded) . , . , . , . , . , . , this means that the dirt under the house was out-of-reach of the elements,,,,,,not affected by mother nature.,.,.,.,.,., therefore: 100-year old targets are merely but a few inches deep. This is where D2 P4 is a World-class screamer.

Hunt site #2. A trashy site; yet, NOT carpets-of-nails. Just a standard site with 120-years of human cohabitation.
P6 = Program-6 DEEP HC (((HC stands for High Conductors))). At this site..... I NEVER tested/experimented/analyzed any other setting. Remained in Factory Preset the entire 90-minute test-session. However..... I will always find the quietist EMI noise channel.....and run Sens as high as atmospheric conditions would allow. All other settings remained at Factory Preset.
I had a fairly bad problem of deeper nails ID'ing around '87' (in the coin ID range). I did not have the time to try to figure out how to correct this issue.
Nutshell: DEEP HC P6 did not surpass EQX performance. It may be "equal to" EQX performance. (At least.... in a Factory Preset). I may be able to tweak more performance out of Program-6...... but did not have the time (nor the intent....deliberately). This data is MEGA: PRELIMINARY...... and I probably should NOT post this prelim finding; yet, I want a written/log documentum of my findings and learning-curve.

Totally different subject: When I want to change the tones......... the audio going to my headphones. Would it not be logical/intuitive to have 'audio' under the program settings of 'AUDIO'? Instead......,,,,,,,,,, if you want to change the 'audio' of your headphones...,,,,,.... you must go under the settings of: DISCRIM.,.,to find your audio tones. This is not intuitive/logical........ in my experience (thought-process).

((( P.S. = I'm going to try to figure out a way to get the D2 to go deeper on coins....than the EQX!!!! And fix the: nails ID'ing as 'coin' issue. ))).
September 01, 2022 03:16AM
Today...... I spent considerable time....exclusively in P6 = Program-6. This is DEEP HC (High Conductor). I had every intent to stick to Factory Presets; yet, do what ever it takes to ascertain peak/pinnacle performance. It turns out that Deus-II entire performance is completely predicated on EMI .....and the mitigation thereof. EMI is overpowering the faint/weak signals.....the VERY targets that we are MOST after. EMI is solely responsible for impeding depth.....AND......causing medium-depth and deep-depth targets to ID as (primarily) 'iron'. On many occasions ...... none of the 7 available freq-shift noise cancel channels had any effect what-so-ever. Reactivity '0' reduced EMI the most. Fortunately...... a Reactivity of '0' also provides the most depth.....((and least adjacent target separation)). I was able to run Sens on '76'. When I removed the coil wire...... I was able to run Sens on '77'. I speculate that.......the long length of the coil wire...... with about 30 wraps around the coil shaft...... is creating an inductive/coil/loop antenna array...... that is captivating (externally induced) interference. I also had to drop Audio Response down 2-points..... and landed on a setting of '5' .... so as to reduce the audio fatigue factor....generated from the EMI. Worthy of mention: It appeared there were 3 primary sources of EMI. One source was a strong low PRF EMI. The other two sources were high PRF EMI.......and slightly different from each other....... ie: two separate sources.
Something I am a little uncomfortable with. Grnd Balance was on '83'...... presumably a 'carry-over' from the beach. Bobbing the coil on a clean (target-free) patch of dirt...... and the detector would not change the Ground Balance number. Florida dirt is like an air-test...... and pumping the coil in free-air.... will not change Ground Balance numbers. Sooooo....... the question then becomes: Is this G.B. setting (of 83) optimal for neutral dirt?......and also possibly having a mild interaction with EMI? (((Tracking Mode did not alter G.B. numbers/settings))).
Ironically..... placing Ground Stabilizer on '1'..... mitigated about 5% of the EMI.
I mentioned this before; yet, it is worth repeating: I love that I can be in any part of the settings/menu programs (except for Grnd Balance)....... and the Deus-II is still in 'detect' Mode. This fully allows the operator to continue sweeping a test-target....... while changing settings on-the-fly.

I'm a bit frustrated. I shall 'sleep' on it.......and I will take D2 to a completely different site within the next 48-hours.....and see if it performs any better.
September 01, 2022 07:08PM
Tom EMI issues with the D2 have been my biggest complaint. There are many urban areas I have had to go as low as 68 on sensitivity and adjust other settings like audio response to get it settled down enough to hunt. I have gone to using it mostly in rural areas for gold nugget hunting and relic hunting farms. It does well at the Great Salt Lake too, which really surprised me.
September 01, 2022 11:28PM
relics&rings.....that's good to know. I was beginning to feel like I was on an island!
I know switching to a Single Freq..... would most-probably mitigate the problem; yet, that completely circumnavigates/defeats the entire purpose of FMF (SMF).......which is the entire premise/basis of this particular platform/invention.
I also know that the smaller coil WILL be less susceptible to EMI; yet, I am needing the depth of the 11" coil.....here in: fast sink-rate Florida.

Now I'm beginning to think: the factory presets for Sensitivity..... in the different programs.,.,.,.,.,., are a bit too zealous/aggressive.
Yes; hyper-gain IS employable/usable in the real World; yet, only in about 4% of applications.

I truly believe there needs to be MORE Noise Cancel channels..........
AND
a WIDER span of frequencies .....for the Noise Cancel channels.

I just finished performing ANOTHER inland hunt....... with better results. I should be able to post this data (findings)..... within 90-minutes.
September 02, 2022 01:04AM
I had a much better experience/day with D2 today. I went to a site that is known to be exceptionally low with EMI.
Nutshell: I was able to run D2 in Program-6 DEEP HC....... with a Sens setting of 93. I feel the D2 ..... in the peak configuration that I had it in....and the peak settings the environment would authorize/allow....... the D2 is a few percent deeper than EQX. But........ not without caveat. A 9" deep clad dime would ID as '99'. (I wonder what a Quarter would ID...at same depth). A dime would ID as a high-tone (at ID 99)......down to about 10.4". Any deeper..... and the ID would severely splatter......and mostly in the iron ID range. This is with Florida inert dirt. A dime at 11", 12", 13", 14"...... the ID was 'iron'. At 14.2"...... signal acquisition was badly broken...... 'threshold' depth. EQX will only go to 14.0" on a clad dime....... BUT....... ID is proper down to approx 13" strata.

Deus-II did not appear to have any coil microphonics error. (Coil shield-paint anomalies...whereby....coil is 'allergic' to wet grass, twigs, sticks, mild-bumps/taps). Good coil.

Deus-II is a bit desensitized to low conductors whilst in DEEP HC (High Conductor) Mode.

Tangential thought: Whilst a wireless/bluetooth coil is 'novel' (technologically attractive) in "theory".........................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in reality, I prefer a hardwire. ((( If you want to increase the power to the coil....... bluetooth will not accomodate. )))

The remote feels VERY 'solid'....... and I have absolutely minimal concern of wearing out buttons......breaking things..... or even flooding.

Why must I select "wired headphones" each/every time I turn the unit 'ON'.....and the headphones are already plugged into the unit! If I want to select something unique.... like wired headphones AND bluetooth phones; sure....... I could understand having to enter into the menu...... and selecting this unique option.
September 02, 2022 05:31PM
I can run Deus-II in single frequency.
and
I can run Dues-II in multi-freq programs.
and
I can run a custom program (and save it).

BUT
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF:

Will the Deus-II allow me to select the individual frequencies of my choice ((of the ones that are available))........selecting my own 'grouping' of frequencies for FMF/SMF......and THEN make a custom program out of this? (((Yes....... I would deselect the frequency that is most prone to EMI !!!))).

I am ALWAYS wanting to run multi-freq......... but the World (and environmental conditions) hinder this quest.

Anybody have an answer to this?
September 02, 2022 08:15PM
To the best of my knowledge, you cannot do that. But I sure wish that we could!
September 02, 2022 11:13PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can run Deus-II in single frequency.
> and
> I can run Dues-II in multi-freq programs.
> and
> I can run a custom program (and save it).
>
> BUT
> DOES ANYONE KNOW IF:
>
> Will the Deus-II allow me to select the individual
> frequencies of my choice ((of the ones that are av
> ailable))........selecting my own 'grouping' of fr
> equencies for FMF/SMF......and THEN make a custom
> program out of this? (((Yes....... I would desele
> ct the frequency that is most prone to EMI !!!))).
>
> I am ALWAYS wanting to run multi-freq......... but
> the World (and environmental conditions) hinder th
> is quest.
>
> Anybody have an answer to this?

Sorry Tom, you cannot pick 20% 14hz, then 30%24hz, then 50% 40hz.............not possiblesmiling smileysmiling smiley
September 03, 2022 01:48AM
My thoughts are: If there are two totally different sources of EMI........ and one of the sources can be mitigated/remedied/isolated with a Noise Cancel (Freq shift).......,,,,,,,........and I could de-select one of (the multi) freqs so as to 'rid' the OTHER impinging EMI culprit:
EMI problem = SOLVED!
September 03, 2022 02:40AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> My thoughts are: If there are two totally differen
> t sources of EMI........ and one of the sources ca
> n be mitigated/remedied/isolated with a Noise Canc
> el (Freq shift).......,,,,,,,........and I could d
> e-select one of (the multi) freqs so as to 'rid' t
> he OTHER impinging EMI culprit:
> EMI problem = SOLVED!

Well, I think there is a focus for the Manticore Plus.............smiling smiley
September 03, 2022 04:17PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> My thoughts are: If there are two totally differen
> t sources of EMI........ and one of the sources ca
> n be mitigated/remedied/isolated with a Noise Canc
> el (Freq shift).......,,,,,,,........and I could d
> e-select one of (the multi) freqs so as to 'rid' t
> he OTHER impinging EMI culprit:
> EMI problem = SOLVED!

Tom,
Might be a stupid question, but if the detector can determine what frequencies are being ‘jammed’ by EMI, couldn’t that be fixed by a software patch? I mean, if it’s smart enough to know which frequencies are going the deepest and responding the best and using them, then why could’ve the detector see which ones are being hindered by EMI, and temporary bypass or eliminate it? Or is that just impossible in the current detectors?
September 06, 2022 02:33AM
Gary.......yes. There is mode/means/methodology to do exactly such; yet, there is a fair amount of engineering effort.......and a 'mindset' to work through.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the Deus-II, I have now progressed through:

Multiple hunts.
Multiple sites.
Multiple conditions.
Multiple scenarios.

* This 'starts' to generate a collective/aggregate 'big-picture' of the performance of the Deus-II. Very powerful unit. Very nice unit. It is a deep nail-grabber; yet, with some experience/skillset...... you can start to learn its language.
*In my Florida inert dirt...... I am seeing/experiencing (on a more regular/repeatable basis) its depth performance matching the depth performance of the EQX. This is with Reactivity on 0.5. I'm seeing a performance/pattern that is a bit unique: Coins and solid objects that are about the size of a coin....... the D2 will generate an ID that is very slightly more stable than EQX.....down to about 7-1/2". From 7-1/2" to about 8-1/2"..... ID accuracy appears to be very comparable between EQX and D2. From about 8-1/2"......and deeper....,,,,, the D2 will really start to ID 'splatter'...... with a bit of a bias/propensity to: "up-average".
*The D2 does incur a fairly high amount of EMI. But................. in all fairness.................. so does the EQX. There were times where it appeared the EQX could mitigate EMI a bit better. Yet, there were times where the reciprocal presented. The jury is not out (yet).
*The D2's audio is a bit more 'rattling'...... whereas the EQX audio is a bit more refined.
*The D2 does have greater depth over the EQX; yet, the extra depth afforded.....is not ID intelligible/usable. This equation would change....if EMI were better controlled. Apples-to-apples. You must compare EQX Park Mode-1......to D2 DEEP HC...... so as to have comparable groupings of SMF frequencies.
*Comparing Field Mode-2 EQX...... to Program-4 FAST on D2......... the D2 presents about 4% greater lateral target separation WITH good ID. BUT..... this is not quite a fair apples-to-apples comparison. Program-4 on D2 is heavily biased MUCH more towards 40-KHz....and is actually more like Prospecting Mode-1 on EQX.
* Again......and under many different circumstances & differing sites...... it appears there is very little to be gained when Reactivity is above 2.5. There is a law-of-physics whereby: When you envelop an Electro-Magnetic footprint in/at/around multiple closely-spaced targets....... the field-intensity BETWEEN the differentiable targets...... will eventually become "saturated".......and no further gains can be 'had'.......regardless of faster Reactivity (Deus-II)........ or faster Target Recovery Response speed (Equinox). On the EQX....... the law-of-diminishing-returns appears to happen around/above a TRR of '5'.
* On the D2...... it was a unique circumstance to be able to bring Sens above '91'. Mid 80's seemed to be more the 'norm'. There can be a severe performance loss...... if EMI mitigation is forsaken.

Something difficult to discuss...... put into words. In Florida....... the topographics, geophysics, soil, tropical conditions....... is an environmental configuration for targets to sink/be deep. At most sites...... the desirable targets are in the 9" - 17" depth strata. This puts the Deus-II automatically at a bit of a handicap......even though it may express slightly greater overall depth over the EQX. Problem is: It needs to be 'usable', ID'able depth. If the EQX 'holds on' to a little better ID.... in the 9", 10" & 11" depth range......than the EQX has more usable/weighted value. In the European bloc..... I could see the Deus-II reign.
September 06, 2022 10:06PM
Good report Tom. What you are finding in your mild Florida soil basically converts over to my bad soil. Equinox has s slight edge. Been comparing the D2 with both 9" and 11" coils to the Equinox 800 11" for the past few weeks on virgin targets in my worst ground (mineral bar on the D2 full). Normally I will just use a PI in this area.

I'm only relic hunting when doing these comparisons. Used the Equinox to locate and compare the D2 in most cases. Bullets, buttons and an occasional coin is the norm. On the deepest bullet I located (about 12") the D2 was straight up iron in all stock programs and a few of my own programs I tried. The Equinox basically running Park 1, recovery 4. high ID's 26-35 (normal ID is 19). But knowing what I know about the Equinox I will dig those high numbers all day long. The other item that stands out is a small pewter button at approximately 6 inches. D2 Id was 54 about every 6th pass one way. The Equinox ID 11 one way on every pass.

Now the place the D2 excels over the Equinox is in thick nail beds. The D2 will locate stuff the Equinox can't pick out unless it's running a smaller coil and then many adjustments need to be made to the Equinox program to make it work.

Wouldn't get rid of either one right now as they are both great machines and both have their place.

Andrew
September 06, 2022 11:53PM
Andrew...... is there even a chance that you could borrow a Tarsacci.......and try it out in your bad dirt? (It might be a real eye-opener).
September 07, 2022 02:51AM
I haven't been on the site for quite some time. So you may have lost track of who I am. I bought 2 Tarsacci's from you Tom. I just came to the conclusion that what little gain over the Equinox I got, that it just made more sense to go straight to a PI. Currently using a GPX 6000 for relic hunting and doing quite well with it.

Andrew
September 07, 2022 12:18PM
Cherry picking on wet salt beaches.
Little video I did.
Folks with Deus 2 may give this some thought and try/test.

[m.youtube.com]
September 07, 2022 01:51PM
relics&rings = Is this Andrew B??? (I do not recognize the "relics&rings" name)!

TNSS = Yes. This is very true. The EQX does the exact same thing; yet, this phenomenon is not accentuated as much as Deus-II. On the EQX...... Beach Mode-2 is less sensitive to low conductors (gold)....... as in comparison to Beach Mode-1. Beach Mode-2 uses a lower grouping of freq's....as compared to the higher freq's used by Beach Mode-1.
Lower frequencies are good for SILVER
Higher frequencies are good for GOLD

What's interesting about Beach Mode-2 on the EQX is........ it runs more stable with wet-salt/sand. Soooooo.........because of this.........you can drive the Sens a bit higher,,,,,,,,,,which, in turn............ makes up for 'most' (but not all !!!) of ---what-is-lost--- by using the lower freq's in Beach Mode-2.
D2 incurs the same phenomenon when you compare BEACH......vs........BEACH SENSITIVE. ======== But..... DIVE program on D2 is TOO low of freqs......and......even though you can drive the Sens a BUNCH higher.......it still... will not make up for the exceptionally LOW (non-gold) freq's.
September 07, 2022 02:25PM
Is the EMI detectable in any way, such as erratic behavior, chatter, etc? Or is it silent EMI and you just notice it by experimenting with different channels? The reason I ask is because I can run my D2 near maximum sensitivity without chatter or erratic behavior; never had to run it less than 95. The only time it has acted weird was when I was hunting and a thunderstorm caught me out and I could hear the lightning buzz and pop in the headphones. I haven't experimented with freq channels to see if there was silent EMI.

All of the D2 comparisons have been against the Nox. How does the Legend fit into the mix?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2022 03:05PM by Daniel Tn.
September 07, 2022 04:13PM
Yes Tom Andrew B. Apparently I have two user names on your forum and was signed in under relics&rings for the last few posts. I should try and combine the user names or get rid of one.
September 08, 2022 01:59AM
Andrew...... got it! Understand.

Daniel.......Audible EMI is the primary culprit. More specifically: Both High PRF & Low PRF EMI. (PRF = Pulse Repetition Frequency). In simple terms....... high-speed EMI chatter,,,,,, and low-speed EMI chatter. There may be multiple buildings......emitting multiple DIFFERENT TYPES of EMI. So........ in the headphones...... you may hear (say) 3 or 4 DIFFERENT "types" of EMI...........kinda like hearing 3 or 4 radio stations playing in your headphones....... all at the same time.
((( And then there's SILENT EMI !!!! ))).
A Noise Cancel channel may rid ONE of the EMI sources. But then...you may still have other sources of EMI.,.,.,.,., with no ability to mitigate.
DON'T THINK only the D2 suffers from this. Most other detectors have the same problems. The F75/T2 were the MOST 'expressive' .... in audible EMI !!!
September 08, 2022 02:44AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Andrew...... got it! Understand.
>
> Daniel.......Audible EMI is the primary culprit. M
> ore specifically: Both High PRF & Low PRF EMI. (PR
> F = Pulse Repetition Frequency). In simple terms..
> ..... high-speed EMI chatter,,,,,, and low-speed E
> MI chatter. There may be multiple buildings......e
> mitting multiple DIFFERENT TYPES of EMI. So.......
> . in the headphones...... you may hear (say) 3 or
> 4 DIFFERENT "types" of EMI...........kinda like he
> aring 3 or 4 radio stations playing in your headph
> ones....... all at the same time.
> ((( And then there's SILENT EMI !!!! ))).
> A Noise Cancel channel may rid ONE of the EMI sour
> ces. But then...you may still have other sources o
> f EMI.,.,.,.,., with no ability to mitigate.
> DON'T THINK only the D2 suffers from this. Most ot
> her detectors have the same problems. The F75/T2 w
> ere the MOST 'expressive' .... in audible EMI !!!

And the MANTICORE?
September 08, 2022 06:00PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> relics&rings = Is this Andrew B??? (I do not reco
> gnize the "relics&rings" name)!
>

>
> What's interesting about Beach Mode-2 on the EQX i
> s........ it runs more stable with wet-salt/sand.
> Soooooo.........because of this.........you can dr
> ive the Sens a bit higher,,,,,,,,,,which, in turn.
> ........... makes up for 'most' (but not all !!!)
> of ---what-is-lost--- by using the lower freq's in
> Beach Mode-2.
> D2 incurs the same phenomenon when you compare BEA
> CH......vs........BEACH SENSITIVE. ======== But...
> .. DIVE program on D2 is TOO low of freqs......and
> ......even though you can drive the Sens a BUNCH h
> igher.......it still... will not make up for the e
> xceptionally LOW (non-gold) freq's.

Hi Tom

Did you actually test the depth of gold with between say "beach" and "dive" . With the maximin conditions you can run them at [in the same spot]?

Or are you just doing a textbook guess with the frequency weighting?

Thanks Dave
September 08, 2022 07:27PM
Dave. No. ,,,,, I need REAL data from real World conditions! I have tested DIVE Mode with a gold earring.....and a gold cross. (((And a Nickel))). DEEP is definitely lower in performance on small/fine gold.....over the other beach modes. And this is with the targets AT a wet-salt beach. A simple air-test will NOT do!
It's probably worthy-of-mention: Whatever Mode you select....... you MUST 'optimize' the settings for EACH Mode....individually. What settings may work great for BEACH SENSITIVE.... may NOT be the same peak settings for DIVE Mode.
September 08, 2022 10:46PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Dave. No. ,,,,, I need REAL data from real World c
> onditions! I have tested DIVE Mode with a gold ear
> ring.....and a gold cross. (((And a Nickel))). DEE
> P is definitely lower in performance on small/fine
> gold.....over the other beach modes. And this is w
> ith the targets AT a wet-salt beach. A simple air-
> test will NOT do!
> It's probably worthy-of-mention: Whatever Mode you
> select....... you MUST 'optimize' the settings for
> EACH Mode....individually. What settings may work
> great for BEACH SENSITIVE.... may NOT be the same
> peak settings for DIVE Mode.

Oh yes Tom. It is brutally clear to me that each mode needs its own set of settings.
I have done a little looking at gold in different optimized modes. Looking forward to more of your results.
September 09, 2022 05:09PM
Let me see if I can bore you with more technical data w/Deus-II.
I took the D2 to several inland sites.......with similar conditions.
Performance was almost entirely predicated on EMI (and mitigation thereof).
All of the sites are old, highly-traveled, still active: parks.......with a lot of modern trash and old trash.
I specifically went coin (high-conductor) hunting.
You start to touch some of the wheats & silver coins......around the 8" depth strata......and deeper.

I (primarily) stuck with Program-6, DEEP HC.
* There's approx a 2.5" to 3.0" depth detection difference on coin-sized objects....between Reactivity 0.5 and 2.5.
* A bit of a paradox: When Reactivity was bumped up to ....say..... 1.5......many targets sounded weaker; yet, clearer. BUT ...... ID suffered.
* Many targets were located with Reactivity of 0.5. When Reactivity was incrementally increased.....performance, detection, ID accuracy, intelligibility were all lost on many undug/undisturbed targets. In most cases..... when Reactivity was increased to 2.5...... many targets were no longer detectable. With Reactivity on 1.5 (or 2.0)....... the targets were barely detectable......subsequently; ID was completely lost. When Reactivity was placed on '0' (lowest setting)...... the targets were at their loudest; yet, the audio report was more 'blurry' // smeared sounding. Zero marked/located targets were detectable with Reactivity on 3 (and/or 4). This data nearly solidifies the useful bandwidth of 0.5-to-2.5 Reactivity settings.
* BUT. There could be a caveat. Go hunt the exact same area with a Reactivity of 2.5. Find the targets that best resonate with a Reactivity of 2.5. THEN switch over to lower Reactivity settings....for testing purposes. ---This testing sounds 'well-founded' (in theory); yet, it nearly proved to be an exercise-in-futility. First........very few targets were found with/in this configuration. Secondly..........only one target (of all the targets tested)..... actually/legitimately/genuinely expressed a loss of detection performance when Reactivity was dropped to 0.5. This particular target turned out to be a crushed aluminum screwcap at a fairly shallow depth (about 4-1/2" deep) that was tilted....... and severely masked/handicapped.
* There ARE rationalizations/justifications of a more rapid Reactivity setting; yet, in most cases (in my topographics)..... the advantages of Reactivity 0.5....far outweighs a Reactivity setting of 2.0 or 2.5. Too much depth restrictions are electronically imposed with a Reactivity setting of 2.5.
* IF you are in carpets-of-nails......HEAVY/MAXIMUM trash....... then a Reactivity setting of 2.5 appears to be pinnacle. BUT..... if trash is so severe..... then Program-4 in concert with Reactivity 2.5 would be the preferred choice. . . . IF all targets are only a few inches deep. If targets are in the 4" - 7" depth strata.....with a severe volume of trash....... then Program-6 DEEP HC with a Reactivity of 2.5 would best suit. If targets are 6"-7" and beyond.......then you are left with no choice to use Program-6....and a Reactivity 0.5.
* Another noteworthy observation: It is not uncommon for D2 to 'up-average' deeper targets in the "beyond 7" range. Example: A 8" deep Zinc Penny will commonly generate a '99' ID; yet, the audio is clear.
* DIVE Program-10...... is interesting. On ALL targets that were eventually to be dug..... I switched out of DEEP HC....and went into DIVE program. Nutshell: I'm nearly validated/convinced to use DIVE for inland deep coin hunting. EMI mitigated better....at all the various different sites. Sens was authorized to be boosted higher. ID expressed numbers other than 99....on the deep high conductors. ID confidence was higher. Audio was more clear/resolute. Reactivity presented the exact same resultant as Program-6. Sometimes more 'falsing'...... sometimes less 'falsing' on deep nails. BEACH and BEACH SENS were lessor (inland/turf/dirt) hunting Modes..... especially for high conductors (coins).

One of MY biggest dilemmas .... here in severe sink-rate Florida is....... I CRITICALLY need MAXIMUM depth capabilities AND higher Reactivity (or Target Recovery Response Speed) settings. This is a recipe for disaster.... in fast sink-rate soils. It is not uncommon to be at an old house/school/church/post office site....whereby..... there's no targets in the 0" - 10" depth strata. All targets are in the 11" - 17" depth strata. On the D2..... a Reactivity setting of '1'.... or higher..... would be a total failure for these types of conditions.