Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: MINELAB MANTICORE: DATA & PERFORMANCE
February 26, 2023 02:28PM
I am having difficulty controlling one variable; yet, can share fairly accurate numbers:
All Terrain Low Conductors is HOT on low conductors...... to include: chewing gum foil & cigarette packs & small gold earrings.
All Terrain High Conductors presents approx 70% reduction in sensitivity to chewing gum foil // low conductors.
Beach Seawater Mode presents approx 95% reduction in sensitivity to chewing gum foil // low conductors.

Corollary to this data =
Some time ago...... I hunted a inland site that was indeed a carpet of chewing gum foil. Beach Seawater Mode would be the only 'hope' for any form of coins/high-conductor targets success. I was able to run Sens on 22. Silent EMI restricted my air-test depth of a dime..... to only approx 8". (((For the record: At home....in the test-garden.,.,.,., exact same settings = a Sens of 22 in Beach Seawater Mode ....would authorize a detection depth of a dime to nearly 14"))).
I was indeed able to find several coins in this Manticore configuration.
February 26, 2023 07:07PM
Ozzie -- I did get the 11x13. I've actually had all the currently available coils for the D2. I didn't see any noticeable difference with the 11x13 over the 11...I was expecting at least a minor improvement in depth. When it came down to it, the 9 inch coil was just as deep IMO...especially when you cranked up the audio response to around 6 to do away with the modulated audio.
February 27, 2023 09:47AM
Hey TOM just wanted to thank you for suggesting ATG LC on the Manticore. You said it would open another door vs using ATG HC. You were right! At the request of a friend that is waiting for his manticore to come in he wanted me to try out ATG LC. I've just started detecting a 1 room school site that was built out of wood "1879" and has been gone for a very long time says the owner of the property. So far no modern trash there, There are lots of iron in the ground and I had managed to pull out a few IH pennies but no silver. So not long after switching ATG LC I got a crazy signal I could here the silver chirp and like a copper chirp as well. It was a one way hit in one direction and a some what nasty 2 way hit in the other direction. Numbers were jumping around from 50s to 80 with a couple of 90s. Depth meter said about 6-8". So I dug it to my surprise I pulled out a 1867 IH and down in the hole was an 1876 CC Seated Dime. I also pulled out 6 square nails and found 3 more in the hole afterwards. The coins were right at 51/2"-6" down. I was running 22 Sens, Recovery 2, Ferros limits were 10 & 3, Normal Audio/Simple. Afterwards I was really surprised looking at the target trace afterwards as I recorded it. First swing started in the Upper Ferros zone and by the 2 swing it smeared down on a 45 to the non-ferros line like a bullet. I will most probably make a video of my finds that day. But thank you for making a great product. The more and more I learn about the settings and how/where to use them I'm loving this new machine!!!!! Who ever thinks this machine doesn't have great seperation might be swinging to fast or I'm not sure. 9 Nails in the hole and out came 2 winners!!!
February 27, 2023 02:55PM
Mike....... great report! Yes...... All Terrain Low Conductors may not go quite as deep as All Terrain High Conductors; yet, it is more resolute with ID of iron debris. (((Attributes of higher freq's))). One thing to be said: DON'T let the 2D screen talk you out of digging. Let the AUDIO be the "Master" ..... and let the 2D screen be the "Slave".......or: a distant secondary datapoint input. This is to include ID numbers. BUT....... ID numbers will kinda startle you.,.,.,.,., in that...... they'll be fairly accurate on the ID of the non-ferrous item that you are recovering...... as bits & pieces of nails come out of the same hole.,.,.,.,on your way down to the non-ferrous target. There are some unique algorithmic-calc's going on...behind the scenes. Yesterday, I recovered a 8" deep,1915-D wheat penny that was trying to 'lock-on' to a '63' ID......with small nails above & below the penny. (Four nails came out of the hole....before the penny came out). When the penny was out..... and clear of the masking debris....... it ID'd as a '63'. Before digging........ I looked at the 2D screen....... and there was a vertical line starting at the center/non-ferrous line........ and proceeding straight up to the top of the Ferrous Upper max limit. But...... the 'audio' was "all-telling" ....knowing there was a non-ferrous in-the-mix. (((BTW: My Ferrous Limits were = Upper = 5, Lower = 3))).
Yes....... sweep the coil at 1/4-speed whilst in carpets of nails. This holds true for all flavors of detectors.
The Deus-2 will present a lot of the same performance as Manticore.......whilst in carpets of nails. Actually a few percent better in lateral separation; yet, the Manticore will go many percent deeper.... in longitudinal separation. Sooooooo.......... hunting the same area with BOTH detectors...... there are a few targets that the Deus-2 will see..... that the Manticore will not see. But....... there are also several targets that the Manticore will see........ that the Deus-2 will not see.
February 27, 2023 08:21PM
Way to go Mike! Both the IH and seated dime are in beautiful condition!! When I saw that 2D trace strike like lightening to the non-ferrous line, I had a strong feeling good things were going to be unearthed. - Jim

Mike K Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey TOM just wanted to thank you for suggesting AT
> G LC on the Manticore. You said it would open anot
> her door vs using ATG HC. You were right! At the r
> equest of a friend that is waiting for his mantico
> re to come in he wanted me to try out ATG LC. I've
> just started detecting a 1 room school site that w
> as built out of wood "1879" and has been gone for
> a very long time says the owner of the property. S
> o far no modern trash there, There are lots of iro
> n in the ground and I had managed to pull out a fe
> w IH pennies but no silver. So not long after swit
> ching ATG LC I got a crazy signal I could here the
> silver chirp and like a copper chirp as well. It w
> as a one way hit in one direction and a some what
> nasty 2 way hit in the other direction. Numbers we
> re jumping around from 50s to 80 with a couple of
> 90s. Depth meter said about 6-8". So I dug it to m
> y surprise I pulled out a 1867 IH and down in the
> hole was an 1876 CC Seated Dime. I also pulled out
> 6 square nails and found 3 more in the hole afterw
> ards. The coins were right at 51/2"-6" down. I was
> running 22 Sens, Recovery 2, Ferros limits were 10
> & 3, Normal Audio/Simple. Afterwards I was really
> surprised looking at the target trace afterwards a
> s I recorded it. First swing started in the Upper
> Ferros zone and by the 2 swing it smeared down on
> a 45 to the non-ferros line like a bullet. I will
> most probably make a video of my finds that day. B
> ut thank you for making a great product. The more
> and more I learn about the settings and how/where
> to use them I'm loving this new machine!!!!! Who e
> ver thinks this machine doesn't have great seperat
> ion might be swinging to fast or I'm not sure. 9 N
> ails in the hole and out came 2 winners!!!
February 27, 2023 09:34PM
I got tired of the screen glare so I have some 50% anti-glare screen protectors on ebay for your enjoyment. Laser cut right here in the USA. Testing the waters with this first batch. [www.ebay.com]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
February 27, 2023 09:58PM
ok....thanks for that
March 01, 2023 01:43AM
Well found my first Carson City Minted Coin this past weekend. I tried All Terrain General Low Conductor, Sen 22, Ferrous Limits 10/3, Recovery 2, Audio Normal/Simple. Horseshoe On, I was surprised that there were 9 square nails in that hole 3 not pictured as when I was checking the hole I found 3 more. I will post the target trace clip so everyone can see what it looked like. If you turn up the vol you can here the audio in the head phones.

Coins

Target Trace
March 01, 2023 04:31AM
Gotta love those VERY unique algorithms!
Good photo....Mike!
March 01, 2023 11:01AM
TOM is it feasible to use the beach low conductor when hunting inland at old home site coin shooting with lots of square nails? I know you say Start with ATG HC then maybe try ATG LC just trying to see what you might try after that.

Thanks Mike
March 01, 2023 03:37PM
Mike......... Beach Low Conductor Mode is more of a 'salt' compensation Mode that is (overall) less sensitive . , . , . , . , . so as to compensate for wet-salt. There ARE some cases in carpets of nails...... where some attributes might 'express'; yet, in most cases.......... All Terrain Low Conductors 'should' prevail over the beach version of Low Conductors. Both of these Modes are more resolute on iron ID. Mineralization AND carpets-of-nails....... may 'express' a bit more attributes.
NEVER be afraid to use other Modes in a unorthodox way......... in order to extrapolate & employ its attributes.
March 04, 2023 11:52PM
TomD,

I haven't received my Manticore yet and have a question: Can the Manticore be setup to run in all-metal or zero discrimination where I hear iron tones like the Equinox? Thank you for your time. - Jim

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2023 11:56PM by EPL II.
March 05, 2023 02:37AM
Jim. Absolutely. Just like EQX.
You can also adjust the Volume of JUST the iron portion of the audio. . . . if you so choose.
March 05, 2023 03:32AM
NASA Tom,

I am anxiously awaiting any performance data that you or anyone else has on the Manticore in "Surf & Sea Water" mode. I have seen plenty of videos showing the Deus 2 and Manticore out performing the Excalibur 2 in dry and wet salt sand, but as I am mostly a water hunter I am VERY interested in the in water performance of all of these machines vs the Excalibur 2! I have not seen any real comparisons of the Manticore or Deus 2 vs the Excalibur using their in water settings - "Surf & Sea Water" or "Dive" vs the Excalibur 2 in an under water setting or even air testing for that matter... Its not really an apples to apples comparison to have these machines in beach sensitive or beach HC or LC mode vs a true water machine for testing when you simply cannot run the Manticore or Deus 2 in those modes submerged in salt water.
March 05, 2023 01:47PM
kwalenciak.......... In an air-test..... the Manticore wins.....over the Excal.....whilst in Seawater Mode.
BUT....... IN the water....... fairly heavy East Coast waves preclude me from valid testing; yet, I'm certain the Manticore would come out ahead.
West Coast Florida hunters would be better able/suited to answer this question.
March 05, 2023 03:04PM
Thank you Tom. What would be the correct settings / adjustments to make nails and misc iron junk sound like iron grunts?
My thoughts are to run the Manticore wide open (no disc) like I did with the Equinox. I appreciate all your time and help. - Jim

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Jim. Absolutely. Just like EQX.
> You can also adjust the Volume of JUST the iron po
> rtion of the audio. . . . if you so choose.
March 06, 2023 02:54AM
Jim....... if you are referring to Beach Seawater Mode......and IN THE WATER hunting......... I would recommend setting Ferrous Limits Upper = 9, Lower = 4
You can (later) push these numbers lower...... after some skillset building.
March 06, 2023 07:35AM
TOM I might be wrong but I think he is talking about every day inland hunting. I've read on other forums where he's primarily an inland hunter.

Also I had someone tell me "below 5 recovery speed will masked close non ferrous with nails" This isn't correct right? I thought the higher your recovery speed will mask non ferrous targets with ferrous targets in the ground. I just don't want to speak incorrectly. Thx

Mike K

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2023 09:27AM by Mike K.
March 06, 2023 12:23PM
I’m talking in general. How to make iron sound like iron and not a non-ferrous target. Whether I was in “all-metal” or disc mode on the equinox, iron objects gave an iron tone / grunt.
It sounds like on the Manticore if no disc is used, iron sounds like a non-ferrous target. - Jim

Mike K Wrote:
> TOM I might be wrong but I think he is talking abo
> ut every day inland hunting. I've read on other fo
> rums where he's primarily an inland hunter.
>
> Also I had someone tell me "below 5 recovery speed
> will masked close non ferrous with nails" This is
> n't correct right? I thought the higher your recov
> ery speed will mask non ferrous targets with ferro
> us targets in the ground. I just don't want to spe
> ak incorrectly. Thx
>
> Mike K
March 06, 2023 08:16PM
Mike.......... The higher the Recovery Speed....... the faster the AUDIO reset of a target. Also......... the shorter the audio response of any target. There is indeed moderate improvement using a higher Recovery Speed in trashy areas; yet, many times........ a slower Recovery Speed in concert with a slower coil sweep-speed........ will give really good separation AND better (overall) depth.

Jim....... the Manticore will give the usual/normal low-tone/low-grunt over iron. BUT....... if you adjust your Ferrous Limits to 0..........then.........yes. Iron will THEN sound like a non-ferrous target.
March 06, 2023 10:41PM
Thank you Tom for explaining. - Jim

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Mike.......... The higher the Recovery Speed......
> . the faster the AUDIO reset of a target. Also....
> ..... the shorter the audio response of any target
> . There is indeed moderate improvement using a hig
> her Recovery Speed in trashy areas; yet, many time
> s........ a slower Recovery Speed in concert with
> a slower coil sweep-speed........ will give really
> good separation AND better (overall) depth.
>
> Jim....... the Manticore will give the usual/norma
> l low-tone/low-grunt over iron. BUT....... if you
> adjust your Ferrous Limits to 0..........then.....
> ....yes. Iron will THEN sound like a non-ferrous t
> arget.
March 07, 2023 12:38AM
Here is something that occurred yesterday and today...
I was able to hunt a beach where the water was almost calm and flat, and the beach (under the water) extended quite a way out before it dropped off.
When the water would get about halfway up the earphone plug connector, where it attaches to the pod, I would get a positive response. The ID actually showed a 5 to 8 number. Once the connector was fully submerged there was no problem. I could not make it false by touching or squeezing it, but only as it came into contact with the salt water. I then kept the coil in direct contact with the sand bottom and lowered and raised the connector as it contacted the water and would get a repetitive positive response. Definitely associated with just that area on the connector, No problem with the coil cable just the earphone plug.
I used to have a Fisher Impulse Limited that did the exact same thing, but that was with the coil cable connector. I guess that was a shielding issue not being hard wired to the machine. If it has been happening before, I never noticed it as with most of the water hunting I do, the pod gets immersed pretty quickly. Maybe it needs a new connector? Any thoughts? Thanks Bob
March 07, 2023 11:52AM
Bob......... I just want to clarify:
Is it when the saltwater touches the 1/8" stereo plug (wired headphones) that enter (plugged into) the control pod........ that the unit will then give a audio response?
Or......... is it somewhere in the middle of the headphone wire/cable........half-way up the wire/cable...,,,,when the detector gives a audio response?
March 07, 2023 03:58PM
Tom ...It is on the 1/8"wired headphone plug. It reacts just about 1/2 way up the plug. When it first touches the water it is ok and as it gets a little higher on the plug it audio responds. Once the plug is fully immersed all is ok again. Had some little splashing waves and every time they hit the plug it responded. No problems on the wire itself. Tony.E. headphones. Thanks
March 07, 2023 09:07PM
Once the plug 'wicks'........ the plug will have a film of saltwater on it. Then..................... the next time the plug gets hit with saltwater........ even only the rubber/insulation part of the plug....... it is still "saltwater electrically connected" to the metal part of the 1/8" stereojack........ and you may incur audio squawking. I seem to recall having this with a MXT.
I'll look into this on the Manticore.
March 23, 2023 06:47PM
I tried going through and finding the comment, but since there has been a little more time, it might be good to see an updated answer. I managed to get a manticore. UPS dropped it off today. This weekend I’m going to be going to a spot me and some friends have hit for years. This is the definition of a testing grounds for new detectors. Not much for modern trash, but there are some spots that have a good amount of iron. Just looking for any helpful suggestions to start with just to get used to the machine. And then maybe some things I should test out. Appreciate any help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2023 12:51PM by DigDugNY.
March 23, 2023 07:47PM
DigDugNY, I did the same thing your planning on doing.

If you don't have a copy download the instruction manual [www.minelab.com]

Setup each search mode before going out detecting with the audio theme that you like the most. For example I prefer Enhanced audio, and I set the audio profile to Simple.

Long press noise cancel until the detector settles on one channel. Also each Search Mode has its own noise cancel setting, so if you start with one mode and switch to a different mode be sure to noise cancel in the new mode you're using.

In the areas without a lot of iron use All Terrain High Conductors, set the recovery speed to 3 or 4.

In areas with a lot of iron I've been switching to All Terrain Low Conductors and adjusting recovery speed based on how much iron you're dealing with.

Also this video gives a good example of what to expect with the target trace when iron and a good target in the same hole: [www.youtube.com]
March 23, 2023 08:06PM
Thanks Viper! Good info.

When you say set up each search mode, are you saying if I choose enhanced audio, and simple audio profile on ATHC, then I also have to change it for ATLC, but once I do that, it will save them?
March 24, 2023 06:55AM
DigDugNY Wrote:
> Id like to get the sense that the manticore can
> open up old sites such as this and the the
> investment was worth the switch from the
> equinox.

Just my personal opinion, but it seems to me that you are asking an awful lot, on a first outing with a new machine. My two cents are that picking non-ferrous out from amongst iron, especially when you've hit the iron patches fairly hard with prior machines, is among the most difficult of tasks. And for me anyway, doing this skillfully, requires alot of familiarity with the nuances of how a machine behaves, and how it "speaks."

To put a new machine "on trial" and "prove itself to you" by diving right into the iron, and trying to "unmask," seems to me like a difficult way to accurately judge, right off the bat, whether "your investment was worth it." Just my take. Not that you can't pull a few targets, but if it were me, I'd expect to really struggle in such a scenario, with a brand-new machine that I haven't even learned how to "set up," yet, let alone understand its "dialect" in and around iron...

Steve
March 24, 2023 12:47PM
I understand where you are coming from. I have a tendency to say more than I need too instead of what I’m really just trying to ask.

Layman’s terms- any helpful setting suggestions for taking the manticore out for the first time?