Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gold price

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Gold price
November 22, 2022 03:39AM
Appreciate the knowledge, gents!
November 25, 2022 03:27PM
Because of the "imminent" nature that: The dollar is going away........................ has caused silver/gold to be chased with euphoric precedence.

And if some form of FedCoin/BitCoin is being forced upon the populous ........ things could get more 'touchy'.
November 25, 2022 04:26PM
Explore a U.S. Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) by placing urgency on research and development of a potential United States CBDC, should issuance be deemed in the national interest. The Order directs the U.S. Government to assess the technological infrastructure and capacity needs for a potential U.S. CBDC in a manner that protects Americans’ interests. The Order also encourages the Federal Reserve to continue its research, development, and assessment efforts for a U.S. CBDC, including development of a plan for broader U.S. Government action in support of their work. This effort prioritizes U.S. participation in multi-country experimentation, and ensures U.S. leadership internationally to promote CBDC development that is consistent with U.S. priorities and democratic values.
November 26, 2022 04:02AM
When CBDC becomes widely known, that it is coming, Silver will be next to impossible to buy, as panic will set in amongst the population. Its already getting difficult to withdraw a larger amount of cash from the bank now. That will become much more difficult then. Think and plan ahead. Could be lots of chaos coming.
November 27, 2022 04:30AM
Lots of informative information, definitely a hot thread to follow.

On a previous subject of premiums, we probably won't be seeing premiums go lower, for a while at least. Wouldn't surprise me to see them go much higher, even if silver price drops before the big upswing which I still believe will go back down again.

I didn't catch this until last week, searching the web and sure enough went to my favorite bullion dealer website to confirm. One type of precious bullion coin has a very low premium, $20 Saint-Gaudens Gold Double Eagles MS65. Pre-1933 and Slabbed, MS64/MS63 are even lower. Tempting, I'm not a gold holder more into silver bullion but these look extremely tempting. To add, from research these went 600% plus from a long ago rally, next gold/silver rally can push this coin beyond $12,000 Plus, from research premium pricing hasn't caught up with this coin, meaning when it does those that buy this coin will benefit even more collecting a hearty added profit just from the increased premium alone when selling. Currently, they are around under $2295.00 for a MS65 $20 Gaudens Gold Double Eagle and that's with premium added.

In regards to CBDC, get a ton of email on this subject. Scary stuff to read, for instances it can turn off or turn back on the Digital Currency. And track our purshasing, and that's just a couple inconveniences thrown out there on internet in regards to CBDC.

Prepare, plan ahead.
November 27, 2022 05:20PM
Interesting stuff from forum members who are way more knowledgeable on this subject than I am.

Possum, could you please expound?

Why would silver (or gold) become so precious if a government backed digital currency became the standard? Would it be because many people don't want their funds, illegal and otherwise, exposed to the government's prying eyes? And what would prevent the government from doing what they did in 1933 when they made private ownership of most gold illegal?

Also could you please give some background concerning your statement that it is already getting difficult to withdraw a larger amount of cash from the bank.
November 27, 2022 09:05PM
marcomo,

I know you asked for possum's input specifically, but I'll offer some thoughts...

It is my belief that we are moving to a complete "digital" state, where total surveillance will rule. That is already the case, of course, to a degree (we are ALL surveilled, far more than most of us are aware), but the difference is that the surveillance (usually) does not restrict the "behavior" or "freedom" of an average citizen -- not "directly." However, once we move to fully digital currency, cash (I believe) will gradually be eliminated. At that point, it's a very short step to a China-like system of "social credit scoring," where your "health passport," your "digital currency wallet," your "carbon footprint," and your "social behavior" are all combined into your personal "social credit score," which would be likely (at first at least) to be accessed via a smartphone app/QR code. So, at that point, should this scenario unfold, your "freedom" to commute, make a purchase, or even enter a workplace, supermarket, sporting event, movie theater, etc. would depend upon a scan of your QR code to check your "score." In this way, your "score" would determine what privileges you do (or don't) have. Things like your personal "carbon footprint," your health/vaccine status, what you have been posting online, etc., would be known at all times by "the state," and your "score" adjusted accordingly, determining your ability to move about in society, and to make purchases.

So -- for instance, say your carbon use calculation shows you've exceeded your monthly limit. Your digital wallet could then be "turned off" for any further gasoline purchases, meat purchases, etc. until the next month (when your carbon credits "reset"). Or, as you approach your monthly carbon limit, the smart thermostat in your house could switch from "manual" control," to "state control," to be reset automatically to a more "carbon-friendly" level, so as to lower your carbon usage for the remainder of the month. Or say the biometric sensor on your smart device, tied to the "social credit score" app, determines that your body temperature exceeds 99 degrees. You stop at the convenience store for a gallon of milk, but the scan of your QR code prior to entry shows that your current "health" status prohibits your entry into the store. Or, say that after posting something "controversial" (such as this very message that I'm currently typing), the internet AI content monitors determine that one's post qualifies as "misinformation," lowering their social credit score to some "negative" level. And so, tomorrow morning, when that person heads to, say, the terminal to board public transportation to their place of employment, a scan of their QR code to board the tram prohibits their entry, and thus prevents them from reaching their place of employment, and therefore their income...

Again, while it sounds "dystopian," versions of what I've described are already apparently the case, in China, and are being very gradually "rolled out" in other areas (including "democracies" of the "West"). In these "freer" areas of the world, folks are of course encouraged to enjoy the "convenience" of paying via the "scan" of your smartphone, via Apple Wallet or Google Pay. And in some cases, some of us have even experienced instances where we have been digitally permitted or prevented from certain activities at times (think digital vaccine passports, which sprung up during COVID). The bottom line is, younger generations IN PARTICULAR are already almost fully assimilated into an entirely digital world, where one's smartphone and smart watch are the most important items one owns, and where the idea of paying with cash (and ESPECIALLY the idea of such things as writing a check, or sending a money order) is seen almost as an ancient relic of some bygone era. This progression toward a fully digitized world is very clearly available to be exploited, by groups such as the WEF, the UN, etc. And this isn't just tinfoil-hat conspiracy theory; a quick perusal of some of the information provided by groups like the WEF make it rather abundantly clear that this is the goal/objective.

And so, some folks "reading the tea leaves," conclude that we are not far from a time where those folks who are not willing to give up personal freedoms, by acquiescing to "do as they are told" by the "state," in an attempt to maintain an "acceptable" carbon/social/health score, will therefore find themselves "excluded," struggling to "participate" in "regular society." Should this become severe and pervasive enough, it could then potentially result in the emergence of "gray markets" (sort of like a "black markets," but not for contraband; instead, for "legal" goods like food, fuel, etc.) But, with no paper currency available to make any of these "outside the state network" purchases, barter and/or the use of gold/silver may become the "currency" of such "gray markets." This, of course, should it occur, would bring about a complete paradigm shift, in terms of the value of, and use for, silver/gold. We would quickly be reminded why gold and silver have been used as currency for thousands of years.

Another reason some feel that gold/silver could rapidly become very important, and thus "unavailable," is due to the expectation of an economic (and currency) collapse, that seems in the eyes of many to be imminent. Once such an economic disruption occurs, it would stand to reason that folks may quickly seek to obtain something that "maintains" value, as the "real worth" of paper currency (i.e. nothing) would quicikly become clear to the average Joe in a hyperinflationary, or "collapse of currency" scenario. At that point, it seems possible that a "run" on silver/gold stockpiles could occur, such that physical metal would quickly become unattainable for the average Joe (as the price to obtain skyrockets in price).

Could ownership of silver and gold be made illegal for the "average Joe?" Of course it could. However, should a worldwide financial dislocation/depression set in, where purchasing necessities becomes the most important consideration, I expect that gold and silver -- even if "illegal" -- would still be a "preferred means" of transaction, in a barter/trade scenario. Making the metals "illegal to own," would likely not dissuade people from seeking to acquire them anyway, in desperate situations.

As far as "getting difficult to withdraw large amounts of money from the bank," it's now to the point where you will have a rather difficult time withdrawing more than a few thousand dollars in cash, from your account. If you haven't tried to do so, recently, give it go. You may be surprised at what you experience. I think the "limit," i.e. the amount you could withdraw before you would be required to fill out paperwork and answer a bunch of questions, was first set at $10,000 several years back, but then was dropped to $5,000 more recently, if I am not mistaken. I THINK that's where it sits, now -- $5,000. Bottom line, if you go and ask your local bank teller for $5,000 cash from your account, you'll probably be surprised at what happens; expect to end up in the bank manager's office, with some 'splainin to do...and probably having to put your John Hancock on some forms, at a minimum...

Steve

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2022 12:16AM by steveg.
November 27, 2022 11:47PM
Steve......... very well stated.

Ponderance:

Credit Cards have been around for a long time (now)............. and are one of the very first forms of 'digital'.
I do NOT trust the dollar.
I do not trust the 'experimental drug' (Wrongfully called: Vaccine).
November 28, 2022 01:17AM
Gold (and/or silver) should obviously be in ones portfolio/holdings.-----What % should that be?-----Opinions?-----BTW---VERY interesting/informative responses have gone into this thread!
November 28, 2022 02:50AM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gold (and/or silver) should obviously be in ones p
> ortfolio/holdings.-----What % should that be?-----
> Opinions?-----BTW---VERY interesting/informative r
> esponses have gone into this thread!

Del, NO reputable money person, even those who are very strongly in favor of gold/silver ownership, suggest anything CLOSE to having a majority of your holdings be in physical gold/silver. Most that I am familiar with seem to agree on a number somewhere in the neighborhood of 10%. Most say having some cash on hand, some metals on hand, and then other investments -- including land, tools, and other goods that have actual inherent/intrinsic use/value -- are wise to acquire. Many then also suggest investment in the energy sector, mining stocks, etc. etc. I'm no money manager, but I can certainly see the wisdom in holding cash, PMs, tools, land, etc. And SKILLS. We all ought to seek to acquire or hone SKILLS -- skills that are useful. You can't know it ALL, but you can certainly know SOMETHING, and a bunch of trusted people in a small community -- each of whom knows SOMETHING -- is quite valuable, when each of those "somethings" are pooled together...

Steve
November 28, 2022 04:02AM
Steve, a lot of food for thought. While I hope and pray your vision of the future is exaggerated, I can see the way things are trending. Our privacy is not being taken away, we are giving it away in exchange for convenience and social media access. For a large percentage of digital natives, privacy is an outdated and archaic concept.
November 28, 2022 05:47AM
marcomo,

I hope so, too. I pray that that "future" I described, never comes to fruition. But, I DO know that what I described, and more, is EXACTLY where the World Economic Forum is trying to steer us. What I described is just a taste of their vision for humanity...

You are exactly right; we are GIVING AWAY our privacy, and our freedoms, out of ignorance and in exchange for convenience. And yes, those are indeed outdated and archaic "trivialities," in the eyes of many of the younger generation.

Pray for the best, prepare for the worst. That's kind of how I'm trying to navigate these uncertain times...

Steve
November 28, 2022 02:12PM
1/4-Century ago....... I used to say the following words ....with humorous conjecture:

REMEMBER THE 4 G's =

GOD
GUNS
GOLD
GROUND

As of about 13 years ago....... I am dead SERIOUS about these words.
And.......as more years accrue ....... they become carved in stone.
November 28, 2022 03:00PM
steveg Wrote:
> marcomo,
>
> I know you asked for possum's input specifically,
> but I'll offer some thoughts...
>
> It is my belief that we are moving to a complete "
> digital" state, where total surveillance will rule
> . That is already the case, of course, to a degre
> e (we are ALL surveilled, far more than most of us
> are aware), but the difference is that the surveil
> lance (usually) does not restrict the "behavior" o
> r "freedom" of an average citizen -- not "directly
> ." However, once we move to fully digital currenc
> y, cash (I believe) will gradually be eliminated.
> At that point, it's a very short step to a China-l
> ike system of "social credit scoring," where your
> "health passport," your "digital currency wallet,"
> your "carbon footprint," and your "social behavior
> " are all combined into your personal "social cred
> it score," which would be likely (at first at leas
> t) to be accessed via a smartphone app/QR code. S
> o, at that point, should this scenario unfold, you
> r "freedom" to commute, make a purchase, or even e
> nter a workplace, supermarket, sporting event, mov
> ie theater, etc. would depend upon a scan of your
> QR code to check your "score." In this way, your
> "score" would determine what privileges you do (or
> don't) have. Things like your personal "carbon fo
> otprint," your health/vaccine status, what you hav
> e been posting online, etc., would be known at all
> times by "the state," and your "score" adjusted ac
> cordingly, determining your ability to move about
> in society, and to make purchases.
>
> So -- for instance, say your carbon use calculatio
> n shows you've exceeded your monthly limit. Your
> digital wallet could then be "turned off" for any
> further gasoline purchases, meat purchases, etc. u
> ntil the next month (when your carbon credits "res
> et"). Or, as you approach your monthly carbon lim
> it, the smart thermostat in your house could switc
> h from "manual" control," to "state control," to b
> e reset automatically to a more "carbon-friendly"
> level, so as to lower your carbon usage for the re
> mainder of the month. Or say the biometric sensor
> on your smart device, tied to the "social credit s
> core" app, determines that your body temperature e
> xceeds 99 degrees. You stop at the convenience st
> ore for a gallon of milk, but the scan of your QR
> code prior to entry shows that your current "healt
> h" status prohibits your entry into the store. Or
> , say that after posting something "controversial"
> (such as this very message that I'm currently typi
> ng), the internet AI content monitors determine th
> at one's post qualifies as "misinformation," lower
> ing their social credit score to some "negative" l
> evel. And so, tomorrow morning, when that person
> heads to, say, the terminal to board public transp
> ortation to their place of employment, a scan of t
> heir QR code to board the tram prohibits their ent
> ry, and thus prevents them from reaching their pla
> ce of employment, and therefore their income...
>
> Again, while it sounds "dystopian," versions of wh
> at I've described are already apparently the case,
> in China, and are being very gradually "rolled out
> " in other areas (including "democracies" of the "
> West"). In these "freer" areas of the world, folk
> s are of course encouraged to enjoy the "convenien
> ce" of paying via the "scan" of your smartphone, v
> ia Apple Wallet or Google Pay. And in some cases,
> some of us have even experienced instances where w
> e have been digitally permitted or prevented from
> certain activities at times (think digital vaccine
> passports, which sprung up during COVID). The bot
> tom line is, younger generations IN PARTICULAR are
> already almost fully assimilated into an entirely
> digital world, where one's smartphone and smart wa
> tch are the most important items one owns, and whe
> re the idea of paying with cash (and ESPECIALLY th
> e idea of such things as writing a check, or sendi
> ng a money order) is seen almost as an ancient rel
> ic of some bygone era. This progression toward a
> fully digitized world is very clearly available to
> be exploited, by groups such as the WEF, the UN, e
> tc. And this isn't just tinfoil-hat conspiracy th
> eory; a quick perusal of some of the information p
> rovided by groups like the WEF make it rather abun
> dantly clear that this is the goal/objective.
>
> And so, some folks "reading the tea leaves," concl
> ude that we are not far from a time where those fo
> lks who are not willing to give up personal freedo
> ms, by acquiescing to "do as they are told" by the
> "state," in an attempt to maintain an "acceptable"
> carbon/social/health score, will therefore find th
> emselves "excluded," struggling to "participate" i
> n "regular society." Should this become severe an
> d pervasive enough, it could then potentially resu
> lt in the emergence of "gray markets" (sort of lik
> e a "black markets," but not for contraband; inste
> ad, for "legal" goods like food, fuel, etc.) But
> , with no paper currency available to make any of
> these "outside the state network" purchases, barte
> r and/or the use of gold/silver may become the "cu
> rrency" of such "gray markets." This, of course,
> should it occur, would bring about a complete para
> digm shift, in terms of the value of, and use for,
> silver/gold. We would quickly be reminded why gol
> d and silver have been used as currency for thousa
> nds of years.
>
> Another reason some feel that gold/silver could ra
> pidly become very important, and thus "unavailable
> ," is due to the expectation of an economic (and c
> urrency) collapse, that seems in the eyes of many
> to be imminent. Once such an economic disruption
> occurs, it would stand to reason that folks may qu
> ickly seek to obtain something that "maintains" va
> lue, as the "real worth" of paper currency (i.e. n
> othing) would quicikly become clear to the average
> Joe in a hyperinflationary, or "collapse of curren
> cy" scenario. At that point, it seems possible th
> at a "run" on silver/gold stockpiles could occur,
> such that physical metal would quickly become unat
> tainable for the average Joe (as the price to obta
> in skyrockets in price).
>
> Could ownership of silver and gold be made illegal
> for the "average Joe?" Of course it could. Howev
> er, should a worldwide financial dislocation/depre
> ssion set in, where purchasing necessities becomes
> the most important consideration, I expect that go
> ld and silver -- even if "illegal" -- would still
> be a "preferred means" of transaction, in a barter
> /trade scenario. Making the metals "illegal to ow
> n," would likely not dissuade people from seeking
> to acquire them anyway, in desperate situations.
>
> As far as "getting difficult to withdraw large amo
> unts of money from the bank," it's now to the poin
> t where you will have a rather difficult time with
> drawing more than a few thousand dollars in cash,
> from your account. If you haven't tried to do so,
> recently, give it go. You may be surprised at wha
> t you experience. I think the "limit," i.e. the a
> mount you could withdraw before you would be requi
> red to fill out paperwork and answer a bunch of qu
> estions, was first set at $10,000 several years ba
> ck, but then was dropped to $5,000 more recently,
> if I am not mistaken. I THINK that's where it sit
> s, now -- $5,000. Bottom line, if you go and ask
> your local bank teller for $5,000 cash from your a
> ccount, you'll probably be surprised at what happe
> ns; expect to end up in the bank manager's office,
> with some 'splainin to do...and probably having to
> put your John Hancock on some forms, at a minimum.
> ..
>
> Steve

[www.youtube.com]
November 28, 2022 03:05PM
Mark of the Beast???? Askin' for a friend.
JCR
November 28, 2022 03:11PM
History tells the story of human/societal behavior in the past, as well as the future. Human nature has not changed. Knowledge of the fall of great civilizations and the day to day life on the American Frontier are likely to be very prescient.

Chris
November 28, 2022 09:54PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> 1/4-Century ago....... I used to say the following
> words ....with humorous conjecture:
>
> REMEMBER THE 4 G's =
>
> GOD
> GUNS
> GOLD
> GROUND
>
> As of about 13 years ago....... I am dead SERIOUS
> about these words.
> And.......as more years accrue ....... they become
> carved in stone.

I couldn't have stated it any better, or more succinctly...

I entirely agree.

Steve
November 28, 2022 09:59PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> Mark of the Beast???? Askin' for a friend.

Hard not to see some parallels there, doc...

Steve
November 28, 2022 10:22PM
JCR Wrote:
> History tells the story of human/societal behavior
> in the past, as well as the future. Human nature h
> as not changed. Knowledge of the fall of great civ
> ilizations and the day to day life on the American
> Frontier are likely to be very prescient.

Hard to disagree, JCR...
November 29, 2022 01:54AM
Steveg, very well-articulated ! My precious metals percentages in my portfolio are quite a bit higher than the 10% most advisors use. Owning any kind of paper now days is more risky than in the past. Bonds, stocks, etc.
I met Bob a few years ago on a housecall, an 80 year old retired college professor. Back in the 1970's he saw the hand writing on the wall when Nixon took the dollar off the gold standard. He started buying gold for $40 an oz, and continued buying til he retired 20 years ago. I talked to him a few months ago, and once a month he takes a 1/4 oz gold coin to the coin shop and sells it. That money suppliments his social security to make ends meet. Gold has preserved his buying power. He also has a few hundred pounds of silver coins to sell if he ever needs to.
November 29, 2022 02:24AM
possum mo Wrote:
> Steveg, very well-articulated ! My precious metal
> s percentages in my portfolio are quite a bit high
> er than the 10% most advisors use. Owning any kind
> of paper now days is more risky than in the past.
> Bonds, stocks, etc.
> I met Bob a few years ago on a housecall, an 80
> year old retired college professor. Back in the 19
> 70's he saw the hand writing on the wall when Nixo
> n took the dollar off the gold standard. He starte
> d buying gold for $40 an oz, and continued buying
> til he retired 20 years ago. I talked to him a few
> months ago, and once a month he takes a 1/4 oz go
> ld coin to the coin shop and sells it. That money
> suppliments his social security to make ends meet.
> Gold has preserved his buying power. He also has a
> few hundred pounds of silver coins to sell if he e
> ver needs to.

Thanks, possum. And congrats on your "prescience," to have more than 10% of your "portfolio" in physical. That professor you mentioned, was PARTICULARLY prescient, and more than that, he "put his money where his mouth is," no pun intended. It's one thing to SAY that PMs matter, and another to actually purchase, routinely, as he did. And now, he's reaping the benefit of his wisdom, boosting his monthly income by $400 to $500/month, by selling 1/4 oz. per month. Maybe you can convince him to sell it to you, each month...win-win! smiling smiley

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2022 02:25AM by steveg.
November 29, 2022 02:25AM
And yet, if it was strictly physical vs. paper causing the increased cost over spot...you wouldn't have a couple of the major bullion dealers having 90% silver coins on a cyber Monday sale for $8-9 over spot and 1 oz silver rounds selling for $2-3 over spot.

Could it be the potential liquidity of 90% junk silver in a time of crisis accounts for the difference between 90% coins and private label silver rounds? Or would it possibly be from increased demand for junk silver over plain old silver rounds because some appreciate the history and aesthetics of the old silver coins? Or collecting the dates? Before dismissing that last theory, read some of the reviews and you'll see a number of buyers basing reviews on the dates they received in their bullion rolls.
November 29, 2022 02:30AM
marcomo -- interesting points. Definitely worth pondering. All I can say is, it is NOT normal for junk silver to be running $8 to $9 over spot price. What you are implying is "numismatic" value, beyond the intrinsic metal value, and that should NOT be the case with heavily circulated coins, hence them being called "junk" silver (very little to no numismatic value). But if there IS demand for "junk" silver OVER silver rounds, then there IS "numismatic" value there, so to speak...at least right now.

Interesting.

Steve
November 29, 2022 04:08AM
That makes sense. If 90% junk silver sells for more than other forms of silver bullion it would, by definition, have numismatic value.

But if the cocca does hit the fan at some point in the future and precious metals again become the coin of the realm, it seems logical that 90% coins would have a major liquidity advantage over other forms of bullion silver because of being universally recognized and because the person accepting it in payment could be assured of the fineness of the silver.
November 29, 2022 06:34AM
marcomo Wrote:
> That makes sense. If 90% junk silver sells for mor
> e than other forms of silver bullion it would, by
> definition, have numismatic value.
>
> But if the cocca does hit the fan at some point in
> the future and precious metals again become the co
> in of the realm, it seems logical that 90% coins w
> ould have a major liquidity advantage over other f
> orms of bullion silver because of being universall
> y recognized and because the person accepting it i
> n payment could be assured of the fineness of the
> silver.

marcomo --

Excellent points, and I agree with you. That's exactly why I prefer to have a good percentage of silver be "junk silver," as opposed to generic rounds. While you or I might trust a generic round's composition, others may not. But many would likely trust the 90% content of a well-worn 1942 silver quarter (for example)...the "wear" from circulation would strongly suggest it was not a counterfeit coin (i.e. not something produced recently, that could have been faked), and the "United States" stamped on it, and the recognizable obverse and reverse, would likely garner trust from even someone who lacks any substantial knowledge, in terms of silver/precious metals...

Very good points.

Steve
November 29, 2022 04:24PM
steveg Wrote:
> marcomo -- interesting points. Definitely worth p
> ondering. All I can say is, it is NOT normal for
> junk silver to be running $8 to $9 over spot price
> . What you are implying is "numismatic" value, be
> yond the intrinsic metal value, and that should NO
> T be the case with heavily circulated coins, hence
> them being called "junk" silver (very little to no
> numismatic value). But if there IS demand for "ju
> nk" silver OVER silver rounds, then there IS "numi
> smatic" value there, so to speak...at least right
> now.
>
> Interesting.
>
> Steve
Don't mix spot with face value
Spot is 1 oz of silver that's 14 dimes $33.53
Face is .716 of a oz that's 10 dimes 23.95
Spot is $11.88 premium
Face is $8.48 premium this is at JM bullion
November 29, 2022 04:29PM
Add the reason people pay this is because there not making it anymore .There is what is left and that's it .They melted a lot of it 1980 2011 so people demand more or they don't sell.
And be glad your not british there paying 52 to 53 percent premium vat tax 20 percent then the premium, of the silver .sube

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2022 04:48PM by subey.
November 29, 2022 08:35PM
sube -- I did not know they melted a bunch in 1980, and 2011. I'm going to look for some info on that, but if you have any info, I'd love to read it. I was unaware they (the U.S. Mint?) have been melting silver coins...

Steve
November 29, 2022 08:41PM
subey Wrote:
> steveg Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > marcomo -- interesting points. Definitely worth
> p
> > ondering. All I can say is, it is NOT normal fo
> r
> > junk silver to be running $8 to $9 over spot pri
> ce
> > . What you are implying is "numismatic" value,
> be
> > yond the intrinsic metal value, and that should
> NO
> > T be the case with heavily circulated coins, hen
> ce
> > them being called "junk" silver (very little to
> no
> > numismatic value). But if there IS demand for "
> ju
> > nk" silver OVER silver rounds, then there IS "nu
> mi
> > smatic" value there, so to speak...at least righ
> t
> > now.
> >
> > Interesting.
> >
> > Steve
> Don't mix spot with face value
> Spot is 1 oz of silver that's 14 dimes $33.53
> Face is .716 of a oz that's 10 dimes 23.95
> Spot is $11.88 premium
> Face is $8.48 premium this is at JM bullion

sube -- very true; I didn't do the math during our discussion, to see just what the premium on junk silver is right now. But you DID do the math, and it looks like the premium is higher than we thought.

For anyone who wants to do the calculations, here's a good calculator, that I like to use...

[www.coinflation.com]

Lots of other good info at this site, as well.

Steve
November 29, 2022 10:18PM
Steve the refineries were back up for weeks trying to melt the mint was not melting only refineries .Anyone can melt US silver the law was lifted when all the coins were picked out of circulation same well happen to copper memorials .
When the refineries bought metal they placed a short on the futures market in case the metal went down so they still made there percent not caring what the price was.

Everything got melted anything that did not have value over bullion such as gem bullion franklin half's 50s to the 60s they were worth more just for the bullion value.

That's why some common year franklins are worth more than rare dates.
There's a lot less out there than people think look at the premium that says it all. sube