Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Manticore Hunt #1 & 2

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Manticore Hunt #1 & 2
January 15, 2023 02:22AM
I work 12 hr midnight shifts but couldn't wait to try that Manti out after work. I took it to a little Civil War camp that in modern times, is a hill the people sled down on the rare occasions we get snow in East Tennessee. It's one of those places that's near home and has been hunted so much that you probably really won't miss anything learning a new machine...in fact my last 4 out of 5 times there, have resulted in my going home without digging a single signal. The last time I got anything was when I went to it with the 15 inch CoilTek coil on the Nox, and pretty much dug any questionable signals in hopes of something deep. There's a couple of spots on this place where some kind of forging went on. There's coal cinders, pig iron, and a bunch of iron. My plan for the morning was to play with the Manticore for a while, then break out the D2 with 9 inch coil and hit the iron patches. Well...I never got the D2 out of the truck. Didn't need to. I took the Manticore, turned it on, noise canceled it, ground balanced it, and that was it. Everything else was factory settings. I took about 4 steps and got a signal. 4 way hit...out pops the big piece of brass. I thought it was a folded sword plate at first but don't know what it is. Then the fun began. I was happy with that one recovery. But that wasn't all for the day. I am VERY pleased so far. Ring is a 925 wedding band...no doubt from a sled day. A couple drop minies, camp lead, eagle button, and several clad coins. I like it so far and haven't even dug into the special sauce settings. I was sending my buddy pictures as this stuff was coming out of the ground and he had to come by because he thought I was BSing him. I thought it was a very good 1st hunt. I would have bet that anything left there would have came from the heavy iron spots with the D2 and fast program. I will find out what it's capable of in the next few weeks on more hunts. So far...more than pleased.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2023 07:37AM by Daniel Tn.
Re: Manticore Hunt #1
January 15, 2023 02:33AM
Looking forward to your future posts, I should be getting mine on Minicabs next release for the us. So I'm living life though your guys posts. Keepem coming!!!!!

Mike
January 15, 2023 03:10AM
Daniel...... do not discount the Deus-2 for its iron handling abilities; BUT.......
do not discount the Manticore for its DEPTH abilities. , . , . , . , especially for the entire conductive bandwidth of non-ferrous targets.
((You are seeing part of the 23%............ but don't discount the Deus-2's: 4%)).

Good report.
January 15, 2023 03:12AM
Good to hear it Daniel! You are a straight shooter I have trusted thru the years!
January 15, 2023 04:24AM
If a person is familiar with the Equinox, they should pick right up with the Manticore. I'll be interested to see how some of the other modes do at other sites when time allows me to hunt longer. In my test area at home, All Terrain General seemed to provide the cleanest of signals and hit on every target with ease so that's what I went to at the little Civil War camp. I didn't think I was ready to dive into a sea of iron with the Manticore on the first hunt so I hunted the outskirts of it. The D2 is still my primary machine for now....it took me quite a while to mesh with it though and a bunch of playing with settings to get a custom program that works for me. I did waaaayyy better with the Manticores first hunt than I did with my first few hunts with the D2, and I didn't have to tweak anything.
January 15, 2023 04:54AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If a person is familiar with the Equinox, they sho
> uld pick right up with the Manticore. I'll be inte
> rested to see how some of the other modes do at ot
> her sites when time allows me to hunt longer. In
> my test area at home, All Terrain General seemed t
> o provide the cleanest of signals and hit on every
> target with ease so that's what I went to at the l
> ittle Civil War camp. I didn't think I was ready
> to dive into a sea of iron with the Manticore on t
> he first hunt so I hunted the outskirts of it.

Nice Post Dan!!!!! Thanks for your input
January 16, 2023 02:17PM
Daniel....... if the area is not totally trashed-out.........the Manticore will do just exactly as you experienced....... at (just over) 60% of the sites I hunt (read: re-hunt).
I am glad you are experiencing/witnessing this. I had concerns that your dirt mineralization would change the playing-field a bit.
January 16, 2023 05:04PM
I want to get out more with it and hunt but I have had a really bad run of luck with the weather that goes back to nearly October. I work a 12 hour rotating schedule and EVERY stretch of off days I have gotten, it rains. This was my weekend to work and it was beautiful every day of it. Mon and Tues are my off days this week and guess what...rain both days, starting this afternoon. It's driving me crazy. I've went out a couple of times in my rain suit...I would do the same with the Manti but I don't have waterproof headphones for it yet.
Re: Manticore Hunt #1 & 2
January 19, 2023 07:39AM
Here is the link to hunt #2. It's just easier for me to link to Steve's forum because the pictures are already over there. This one had an unexpected surprise in which I would later find out. Pretty cool story (to me). That's 2 Manticore hunts and 4 rings, three of which are silver.

[www.detectorprospector.com]
January 19, 2023 11:36AM
There's always many things left in Mom that will surprise you, they are treasures themselves. That story is awesome and was in your Mothers memory, you made it come out. Get down there with the D2 when you're done with the Manticore. Keep us posted, thanks Daniel.
January 19, 2023 05:57PM
Daniel, what an INCREDIBLE story, and what a BEAUTIFUL place!

Steve
January 19, 2023 06:22PM
A sentimental keepsake........ that was lost over 1/2-Century ago! Now it REALLY has sentimental value!!!
Awesome story!