Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2nd Generation of Tarsacci MDT

Posted by JCR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
JCR
2nd Generation of Tarsacci MDT
January 16, 2023 08:21PM
A member of the DP forum posted that they had spoken very recently with Dimitar about improvements for the MDT detector. They relayed that he said he was steadily working on the next generation with improvements including user recommendations about audio. Dimitar is paying attention to user comments.
I am encouraged by this. I don't use the Tarsacci as a primary detector on "normal" sites but on tough ground it is my go to because it performs where others lag/struggle.
What improvement would the members here, on the Forum where Tarsacci was launched, recommend for the next generation of MDT?
I am wanting more separation/adjustability of the Tones. A True Stereo Mixed mode. And an adjustable Iron Bias to address the falsing in small iron.
What say you?

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2023 09:03PM by JCR.
Re: 2nd Generation of Tarsacci MDT
January 16, 2023 09:06PM
I don't have a Tarsacci however I was interested in getting one I was impressed with the performance from what I saw in videos. But I passed on getting one mainly because I really didn't like the audio tones from what I heard on a lot of the youtube videos I watched.

My requests would be add new tones that sound similar to the equinox/manticore/legend tones.

Add more then 4 tones.

And add Bluetooth LE support so that we can have a wide variety of wireless low latency headphones/earbuds to choose from.

Thanks!
January 17, 2023 03:34AM
My take would be that it needs to greatly improve on the target ID, at least in my dirt.

I know NASA-Tom has said that the MDT is about "70%" as good as the Equinox, in terms of accurate VDI and tones. I would argue that in my dirt, it's nowhere near that good. I really, really struggled in park-type settings where targets of all conductivity abound. I KNOW that that is NOT the "forte" of the MDT (trashy parks), but still -- the accuracy of the VDI beyond a few inches was very poor in my dirt. WITH THAT SAID, I was able to hit coins deeper than any coin I'd ever dug before...but with very little way of knowing that it was actually a coin, until it was out of the ground...

Excellent potential in that machine/technology. But, just not enough ID capability, in my dirt, for deep coin hunting. If I were a RELIC hunter, on the other hand, where I only needed accuracy of ferrous vs. non-ferrous, it would be a MUCH more capable machine for me.

Steve
JCR
January 17, 2023 02:51PM
The MDT does excel at ferrous v non ferrous, even iron that will false once you understand it's characteristics & audio traits but it is a pretty steep learning curve. I think the difficulty comes from it being set with a very low Iron Bias so as not to miss any small/difficult conductive target in harsh conditions. I think it would be more user friendly AND have improved TID accuracy if this Bias was adjustable by the user to suite hunting conditions. The existing Black Sand feature will do this but it is often too much filter & is not adjustable. It kills the extra depth for me.
I'm sure there are still "secrets" to adjusting the Tarsacci that I have not "discovered" and Dimitar & NASA Tom, who would know, are hesitant for what ever reason to educate users. Please do not take that as criticism, Dimitar will talk to you on the telephone anytime & NASA Tom has written extensively here on it. For me, the "try this" with no understanding of the why & how it all fits together is opaque & vague. I can figure out a normal VLF because I understand how it operates. The MDT is not a "normal" machine & I only partly understand how it operates. The audio is probably the biggest stumbling block.

Chris