Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The wisdom of my Grandfather

Posted by Chris Woods 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The wisdom of my Grandfather
August 14, 2011 12:47AM
I am posting this in remembrance of my Papaw Raymond and how the "simple" things he taught me really shaped me into the man I am.

I was always taught to do the right thing (whatever it may be) simply because it is the right thing to do. My Grandfather taught me from an early age that if I can help, I should. He was a "reap what you sow" kind of guy. That's how he lived his life and that's how he wanted me to live mine.

Last week one of the guys I work with told me that his 75 year old Mother In Law lost the only key to her car in an overgrown yard and they could not locate it. I was expecting him to ask that I find it for her and I was ready to say "sure". He then asked if he could borrow a detector so that HE could find it for her.

I have had extraordinarily bad luck loaning electronics to friends and family in the past but I couldn't tell him no. I took the F75 to work and turned everything down so that he would be able to make sense out of what it was telling him. He indicated that he had no interest in learning how to use it other than getting it to beep when passed over a key on top of the ground.

I ended up getting three phone calls that night. The key apparently was not in the yard but several coins and other objects were. He asked several questions about interpreting what the machine was telling him. He even held the phone to the speaker and asked me to tell him what this sound and that sound meant. In the end he was extremely interested in learning the machine and asked if I would accompany him to "three or four old home sites up on the mountain" where he has deer hunted all his life. He went on to say, "They're only stone walls and fireplace piles now, do you think they would be worth checking out?"
Well, you all know the answer to that question.

I will admit that I get a great feeling when I am able to help someone in need but this time there was a bonus. I have gained a new hunting buddy and a few new virgin relic sites.
I guess Papaw was right again.

Raymond has been gone for 34 years now. By today's standards he was an uneducated man yet his wisdom continues to influence my life on a regular basis. I only hope I can pass what he taught me on to his Great Grandchildren and their kids as well. Not to mention those who read this post.

I apologize for being so long winded but sometimes things happen and you just gotta pass it on.
Re: The wisdom of my Grandfather
August 14, 2011 03:23AM
Good story Neugene. Speaking for myself, I enjoy reading, especially this forum. I wish there were more and longer posts to read here, so have at it.
August 14, 2011 06:10AM
Great story, Neugene. I can appreciate your grandfather's wisdom...

Steve
August 14, 2011 07:00AM
"By today's standards he was an uneducated man yet his wisdom continues"............That say's it all !!
August 14, 2011 01:08PM
I started to write a long post but brought back too many memories so decided as an addendum am sure your grandfathers wisdom will be passed down thru the generations and thanks for the post...and above all your qualities
which are sure appreciated...
August 15, 2011 01:41AM
Very exacting!
August 15, 2011 01:50AM
Great story! Thanks for sharing!!!
August 15, 2011 02:26PM
Thanks! I'm glad you posted that.

It reminded me of my foster father, my great aunt's husband who raised me. He always did the right thing and was completely outspoken. Whenever I'm in a difficult situation I think of him and what to do always becomes obvious.

HH Joe