Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

metal detector testing

Posted by vdi89silver 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
metal detector testing
March 11, 2023 04:15AM
yes i watch a lot of detectorist do a lot testing at home with there metal detectors and a lot of them i don't agree with they put a big coin in the ground 12 inches and then they say the detector passes because it picked it up even a cheap detector probably would here the coin i rather see a worn down silver dime 10 inches or 12 inches in ground and then see if the detector picks it up or even a real small tiny button or a 3 cent bronze nickel 10 inches or 12 inches in the ground and see if the detector picks it up, another test would be take 12 or 16 penny nail and put a small bronze button right next to nail in the middle and sweep coil over it the long way and i guarantee some detectors wont hit the button but it will hit the zinc penny next to the nail , the main thing about these tests i don't worry about it some detectors dont do good on the tests but in real world conditions they do really well ok thanks
Re: metal detector testing
March 11, 2023 01:58PM
Understood! I (too) think a large Half-Dollar is a novelty/........musing. , . , . , . , . , mostly because: If you look at the VOLUME of Dimes found/dug.............VS............the VOLUME of Half Dollars found.................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,........................you will see a very imbalanced ratio. A test-garden with a 10" & 10.5" & 11.5" deep Dime ..... is MUCH more 'value-added'...................as: most coins lost are penny/dime sized.
A test-garden with Half Dimes poses GREAT value!
A Half Dollar does indeed give 'some' value; yet, to a lessor degree.

Single/solo coins in a test-garden is a stunning 'base-reference'. This is a SIMPLEX test-garden.
A COMPLEX test-garden has:
nails & coin
debris & coin
soda tabs & coin
scenarios.
Again: TREMENDOUS value.
March 11, 2023 09:51PM
yeah i agree ,these test that people do with there detectors is sometimes overwhelming , but another test i like to see too in these tests online is take a small button that has rust on the back of it and maybe the front has tin or bronze and burry it 8. 10. or 12 inches with rust facing up then see if the detector picks up the button guarantee alot of detectors wont pick up the button ok thanks
March 14, 2023 02:54PM
That's one thing that makes doing detector tests great. Any and everybody that wants to test can make up their own tests by burying whatever they want, however deep they want. They can also post videos if they want or have the ability to do so. These tests will be a great help to all of us.
Have at it!
March 15, 2023 02:57PM
My 4x4 test field .../contains 4 different test targets -really deep targets + 1 ..4" deep "inlet" for a coin... for 3D separation testing/ ... lying in my garden littered with pieces of iron ... which is also useful for subsequent control tests of the detector in a really real detection../even on different sized coils/...

It's really a challenge for every other tested detector to find and unmask some piece of non-ferrous metal,..it's not yet to find a coin...because they are also found by every previously tested detector...and they practically don't exist anymore..
...there was definitely a period of about 1.5_2 years when I found and dug up some small pieces of metal there, but no target the size of a coin...and I detected this with very good well-known detectors on various coils..

Finally, a year ago, I dug something up...the last 2 coins and they were 6" and 7" deep, disguised with iron nails,,,
...when I was experimentally filming the work of the detector optimally set for 3D separation...I had no idea that I would receive a signal and it would be the signal of one coin target...

[youtube.com]

...the second coin target was also found and detected...but only as a check of the previously marked signal of the target...which I caught with the previous detector back in the winter on the frozen ground...

Regarding the testing itself, it should also be said... that the target of the test field or test gardens is not only to achieve measurable depth and/or separation results... but also what targets you dig up in testing the detector in real detection and also how much waste you dig up as good non-ferrous signal... that is the ratio of good targets to unsolicited targets...
March 16, 2023 12:34AM
right , but with these tests is not full proof with detectors what happens if you got a expensive detector and it only hits 5 targets out of 15 targets in the ground then you got to tweak the detector to hit more targets i just think its a pain and ridiculous , the other day i did a test with my Makro multi kruzer i did the long nail test with a indian head in middle right next to nail and my kruzer hit it fine in all directions with 7 inch coil , but then i decided to use small old button about the size of a dime that has tin on the front of it and has a rusty back and i tried the nail test again with the button with tin facing up and the rusted side facing down now for some reason i cant get the detector to make a sound on the button i tried all directions with my kruzer with 7 inch coil and i cant get it to hit on the button put the indian head there detector hits it fine but not the button, but i am not worried about it , the biggest thing with me is learn your your detector vs all these tests, learn the language of your detector how it acts on targets when you find them how the vdi was acting on targets , how a target sounds when you pinpoint etc. ok thanks