Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Question for NASA TOM.

Posted by Shakydigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Question for NASA TOM.
March 14, 2023 02:05AM
Yesterday I was hunting a local school yard with my Deus 2 in a light rain.I noticed that I could run my sensitivity a couple of numbers higher than usual. Does rain nullify some EMI?
Re: Question for NASA TOM.
March 15, 2023 09:41AM
Hi - I'm obviously not Tom ( smiling smiley ) but I think you might be on to something. A lot of EMI nowadays is in the wavebands used by WiFi/BlueTooth - 2.4GHz - which happens to be around the frequency(ies) absorbed quite strongly by water molecules (hence the principle of operation for microwave cooking etc.). It stands to reason, as I see it, that damp air will absorb more EMI at those particular frequencies than dry air. I guess that every situation is unique, so the extent to which this would be helpful is impossible to estimate.

[en.wikipedia.org]
March 16, 2023 03:37PM
UKD2User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi - I'm obviously not Tom ( smiling smiley ) but I think you
> might be on to something. A lot of EMI nowadays i
> s in the wavebands used by WiFi/BlueTooth - 2.4GHz
> - which happens to be around the frequency(ies) ab
> sorbed quite strongly by water molecules (hence th
> e principle of operation for microwave cooking etc
> .). It stands to reason, as I see it, that damp a
> ir will absorb more EMI at those particular freque
> ncies than dry air. I guess that every situation
> is unique, so the extent to which this would be he
> lpful is impossible to estimate.
>
> [en.wikipedia.org]
> rption_by_water

That is an interesting idea!
March 18, 2023 12:46PM
Is Tom here?
March 20, 2023 02:15AM
I've been offline for over a week......out-of-Country. Slow to respond!

In addition to information already given.............. rain can 'alter' how surrounding powerlines emit. In my locale....... rain washes off salt coatings that collect on powerlines........ 'changing' how they generate EMI. Usually for-the-better.
March 20, 2023 12:45PM
Thanks for the reply. Something else some old hunters used to tell me that I never put much stock in was that they had their best hunts when they could see the moon overhead. Any thoughts.