Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NEWS FROM GARRETT

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
NEWS FROM GARRETT
August 18, 2011 08:22PM
This was just posted by Garrett. Let the speculation begin.....

[www.youtube.com]

Tom in SC
Re: NEWS FROM GARRETT
August 18, 2011 09:31PM
If it's an improved AT Pro with the current fixes plus:

Larger TID display
Backlight
Trigger
Boost mode or better depth enhancement
Multi-frequency (somewhat implied in the video)

They will have a BIG hit IMHO!

The AT Pro is a pretty decent machine and a great machine to build on.

HH,
Brian
August 18, 2011 09:38PM
I heard they we field testing a unit out west a couple of month's ago...I would bet it's gold machine..Prospecting wise.....

Also heard they are working on a newer Infinium pulse machine....could be it ....?

But I would assume it's a prospecting machine vlf/Pulse??? I heard it should make a great relic hunter also...No meter's I've also heard...

Guess we will have to wait and see...

Thanks for posting...

One thing for sure I wont get the first one!!!

Keith
August 18, 2011 09:42PM
It's great to see Garrett back in the game!
August 18, 2011 09:44PM
How big can it really be guys? I mean, surely SOMEONE would've gotten wind of this already...word had to leak out SOMEHOW if what is coming was truly revolutionary. Does anyone really believe that if for example a new Minelab was being released NOBODY would hear a peep until the release?!?! If so, I got a bridge I wanna sell ya winking smiley It's probably the Ace 450. ROTFLMAO smiling smiley
August 18, 2011 10:31PM
Not the best of commercials.
August 18, 2011 10:35PM
Looked like a pretty good tease to me.
August 18, 2011 10:59PM
To be candid, I know Garrett is one of the best, but, I just don't care for them. After trying the Ace 250 when getting into the hobby years ago, it turned me sour on their products. Hearing how their 'top of the line' GTI 2500 operated from others, that too pushed me away. HOWEVER, the AT Pro (at least to me) is a game changer for Garrett. I was a hair away from buying one, but, the coil falsing & leak issues kept me away. If indeed this newfangled unit IS an improved AT Pro, I might just bite. VERY, VERY nice to have a waterproof unit with a VDI screen IMO - the more information one can have at their fingertips the better smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 11:02PM by njnydigger.
August 18, 2011 10:59PM
I thought the AT Pro's problems were resolved when the apparent coil issue disappeared. Well, after reading over on the forum, I guess there were more problems. Overall seems like a good unit for the money. Am curious if they release something to compete with the higher end multi frequency units.
August 18, 2011 11:05PM
Far from it earth. They were SUPPOSED to be resolved & indeed SOME issues are, however, still a LOT of folks with a growing list of problems. Look over on tnet or youtube & you'll come across a ton of videos and posts regarding leaks, customer service, etc. The leak issue is the biggest one though.
August 18, 2011 11:17PM
Garrett is updating all the AT Pro's that are out with new cam locks, extended arm cuff, check the machine all over and fix and a new 2 year warranty for those who want to for $39.95. And may be changing the seal on the meter. Dec 31 is the deadline for this price. All the new AT Pro will have this update.

Rick
August 19, 2011 12:52AM
Not really that impressed with the AT Pro. My personal opinion, Garrett had been making mediocre machines for so long, that when they produced a unit that was a slight improvement over previous units, it was perceived as a great machine. The Teknetics Omega is far superior for coin shooting/depth and stability. Go to YouTube and watch some of the honest appraisals of the AT Pro. These experienced detectorists are not that impressed.
It's waterproof to 10 feet. That's about it. Not enough to make it a great machine.
JMHO
August 19, 2011 01:34AM
Comical ad........ yet........ I like it.

Now........... they have some pretty big shoes to fill.
August 19, 2011 01:40AM
njnydigger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How big can it really be guys? I mean, surely
> SOMEONE would've gotten wind of this
> already...word had to leak out SOMEHOW if what is
> coming was truly revolutionary. Does anyone really
> believe that if for example a new Minelab was
> being released NOBODY would hear a peep until the
> release?!?! If so, I got a bridge I wanna sell ya
> winking smiley It's probably the Ace 450. ROTFLMAO smiling smiley

hope it ain't that damn "relic" they got out in arizona ya tryin' to sell me!
they stole that from england! should have left it there!..just sayin'
hope charlie continues with "black" as the color!.if he goes back to that "puke
color green" or "taxi yellow",it will time for him to retire!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 19, 2011 01:44AM
in addendum: i believe charlie painted the aces "taxi yellow"
cause he was afraid us old guys would leave 'em behind in the field!
charlie's a pretty clever fellow,don't ya know!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 19, 2011 03:15AM
njnydigger Wrote:
> Far from it earth. They were SUPPOSED to be
> resolved & indeed SOME issues are, however, still
> a LOT of folks with a growing list of problems.
> Look over on tnet or youtube & you'll come across
> a ton of videos and posts regarding leaks,
> customer service, etc. The leak issue is the
> biggest one though.

These are all NON-ISSUES now.....drop $39.95 and they'll fix anything that might be wrong, plus a new more ergonomic rod, cam locks, and an 2 year extended warranty (I believe they upgrade the seals as well).

I've been swinging the ATP and it's been a good performer, it's hot on gold and hot on silver, which is really saying something for a 15Khz machine.

At any rate, I'd love to see them evolve the ATP into a 1st class top of the line machine. Competition is good for everyone, it promotes innovation, raises the bar, and we end up with better machines.

I hope that it's not another relic hunter, seems like we have that pretty well covered smiling smiley I could see it being a gold machine, especially with the price of gold.

HH,
Brian
August 19, 2011 03:16AM
I think they saved their money over the years to come out with a newer machine they show crown caps on the video and it is a good video one we don't see from the others...I would say it will be fun to see what they do it would have to be way different from the At Pro to get me to bite. And it would have to be better in iron then the Tek's and Fishers to get me to bite. And any help on gold???? I would bite hard on that one...It will be fun to see what happens and we need a new machine to think about...I am playing with the V3i and it is a lot of fun but they left out a lot for the price.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 19, 2011 04:05AM
With all due respect Cal...........why should a AT Pro owner have to pony up $40.00 for Garretts mistakes.
August 19, 2011 05:04AM
It would be a gold detector. Why else the mountain enviroment in the video? No relics back in there unless it's abandoned gold mining equipment! No sandy beaches, no parks or school yards, just mountains and rivers... for gold panning.
August 19, 2011 05:32AM
TerraDigger Wrote:
> With all due respect Cal...........why should a AT
> Pro owner have to pony up $40.00 for Garretts
> mistakes.

You don't. If there's anything malfunctioning on the machine, you can send it it and it's covered under the warranty. IF you want the redesigned rod, cam locks, plus a TWO YEAR EXTENDED WARRANTY then for the paltry sum of $39 it's yours.
August 19, 2011 12:42PM
At first i thought it was an add for a FORD truck. The AT still is a pretty good detector.... but i think it was the concept that drew most of the people to it. Water proof and possibly all around detector at a heck of a price. I never buy the first few models.... now you know why. If its good it will be around tomorrow..... if there are problems oh boy will you hear about it... even if they are perceived problems. As far as service all the big boys can improve in that area.

Dew
August 19, 2011 01:00PM
Lets face it Garretts last machine (AT pro) was at best midlined pricewise to excel in this economy and they sure are good at advertising.

Having said the above even though thru the years Garrett has produced good machines certainly had their problems
with this last one and lets hope they learn from their mistakes.

As far as the extra 40 bucks I feel their profit margin would certainly take a hit if they didn't and lets face it when you look at the prices of of their competitors quite small in comparison.

In addendum I look for a better than sliced bread machine to keep up with the competition and learning from their mistakes this one is is going to be priced right up there as they sure have some big shoes to fill and naturally bigger shoes are more expensive.
August 19, 2011 02:43PM
I am still impressed with the AT Pro. I said in the beginning that Garrett should step to the plate and take responsibility for fixing the problems. And for a vast majority out there they have done that. I hear people griping about missing detecting time or postage fees, but I have not heard of anyone not having their detector fixed. The AT Pro was a cutting edge concept on the All Terrain part. Man oh man would I love to see Minelab do it with the Sovereign. We complain about the same detector in a new box all the time. When someone dares to take a a new concept to production they should be encouraged. Especially for the price that we spent on the AT Pro. I hope this new teaser turns the detecting world upside down. Our hobby could use a couple of new ideas. We all do back flips for the E-Trac. And how much better is it really than the SE Pro?
August 19, 2011 03:04PM
Seems sorta obvious this will be primarily for gold prospecting with probably a relic/multi secondary. Makes sense too as the Stinger is pretty long in the tooth by today's standards and gold being at all time highs. Someone else pointed out the odd detector leaning against the truck as seen about 41 to 43 seconds into the video so I checked that out. That looks more like a FT T-2 or F-75 to me if you notice the apparent battery box beneath the arm cuff and the shape of the cuff wings. Assuming Garrett wouldn't rip that design feature off and it is in fact a T-2/75 or whatever, that MIGHT be a hint as to the comparable relative price range/performance of the new detector and where it is supposed to compete. Remember that design work doesn't happen overnight and it wasn't too awful long ago that the T-2's were in crazy demand for the gold rush in Africa so I can see where they might have this next on the project board after the more general purpose stuff (AT, 350) was done

The bigger picture is it's all about the psychology of the consumer and this "leak" plays to that very well. Something that is so prevelent in the American way is the literal consumer addiction to renewal by buying something new, etc. Women display this in their many clothes, shoes, purses, and housewares shopping sprees and men display it in their man toy buying as just a couple examples. Many will just have to have this new offering asap for that reason alone. Others may wait briefly and then open their wallets even if the jury is still out. Several will be chatting it up 24/7 as the second coming only to not even own one several months later. Just like with the AT, this one will ultimately be (whether great, good, bad, indifferent) just what it is. And for heaven's sake, never forget just how loyal The Green Heads are (nothing wrong with that) as they'll deliver a profit on their own.

Last but not least.....HOLY CRAP Steve!!!! It's like you were unzipping your wife's dress after an anniversary dinner instead of a bag with a new detector in it!!! You do know how to evoke anticipation. winking smiley
August 19, 2011 03:19PM
I know I will not buy a Garrett now!!!....they should let you know what's coming ...not play with you!!!
August 19, 2011 06:50PM
If it's an improved AT Pro with the current fixes plus:

Larger TID display
Backlight
Trigger
Boost mode or better depth enhancement
Multi-frequency (somewhat implied in the video)

They will have a BIG hit IMHO!

if it is this and having used the Pro for 6 months now, I would buy it, I like my Pro and it finds stuff to my satisfaction
August 19, 2011 11:13PM
BuckeyeBrad Wrote:

> The bigger picture is it's all about the
> psychology of the consumer and this "leak" plays
> to that very well. Something that is so prevelent
> in the American way is the literal consumer
> addiction to renewal by buying something new, etc.
> Women display this in their many clothes, shoes,
> purses, and housewares shopping sprees and men
> display it in their man toy buying as just a
> couple examples. Many will just have to have this
> new offering asap for that reason alone. Others
> may wait briefly and then open their wallets even
> if the jury is still out. Several will be chatting
> it up 24/7 as the second coming only to not even
> own one several months later. Just like with the
> AT, this one will ultimately be (whether great,
> good, bad, indifferent) just what it is. And for
> heaven's sake, never forget just how loyal The
> Green Heads are (nothing wrong with that) as
> they'll deliver a profit on their own.

Garrett is much more market savvy then the other players, FT and ML seem to think it's a matter of national security if they leak news of a new machine under development sad smiley
August 19, 2011 11:44PM
whatever charlie introduces,will be under an 0-scope shortly after introduction anyway,
and if he's got something "proprietary".then the "other" guys will find a way to circumvent his patent!
they all do it,but it's all good,because it fosters competition,the "lifeblood" of the industry!
just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Market savvy?
August 20, 2011 01:02AM
Not so sure I could agree with that. Granted pre-release "leaks" helps feed the insatiable hunger for info that consumers have BUT it also arguably throws dealers that stock inventory under the bus because it somewhat freezes purchases and affects used prices before that needs to happen. If it was just all about me, I'd want video conferenced into every engineering and marketing meeting grinning smiley but.......ALL things considered, I agree with keeping the cards close to the vest until intro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2011 01:04AM by BuckeyeBrad.
Re: Market savvy?
August 20, 2011 03:18AM
the various manufacturers have been "tearin' down " each others detectors for a long time
just so they can be sure they are not falling behind the "technological curve" so to speak!
market share is paramount,but also,technological "progression" depends on this!

(h.h.!)
j.t.