Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NEWS FROM GARRETT

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: NEWS FROM GARRETT
August 20, 2011 05:24AM
They may tear down another detector but it is hard for them to crack the code and see how they got that detector to do what it does..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 20, 2011 08:11AM
the manufacturers "learn" by studying the "competitions'' circuit designs,
and incorporating changes within their own designs,without circumventing patents
so as to remain competitive. the progression of metal detecting technology bears this out over time.
ie: "b.f.o to high frequency t.r to v.l.f to digital computer designs. these technologies were developed,
then "indirectly" adopted by the various manufacturers,WITHOUT circumventing patents,by incorporating changes that "improved"
the initial circuit designs,thus advancing metal detector technological knowledge.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 20, 2011 05:13PM
I know it has nothing to do with performance,But I hope they go back to there trade mark green color as it is so ugly it looks good at least to me anyways. Besides it seems like every machine that comes out today is Black. It use to look cool,But it has been done to death by everybody and there brother!
August 20, 2011 05:15PM
I know it has nothing to do with performance,But I hope they go back to there trade mark green color as it is so ugly it looks good at least to me anyways. Besides it seems like every machine that comes out today is Black. It use to look cool,But it has been done to death by everybody and thier brother!
August 20, 2011 06:48PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know it has nothing to do with performance,But I
> hope they go back to there trade mark green color
> as it is so ugly it looks good at least to me
> anyways. Besides it seems like every machine that
> comes out today is Black. It use to look cool,But
> it has been done to death by everybody and thier
> brother!

disgustingly ugly! damn straight! (puke color green!)
charlie done us a good turn with the aces,he swathed 'em in "taxi yellow"
so nobody would leave 'em behind on the field!.just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 20, 2011 07:33PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They may tear down another detector but it is hard
> for them to crack the code and see how they got
> that detector to do what it does..

It is a lot easier than you think. The problem is making a unit do the same and not using the same code or design. This would be a legal issue. Back in the 90's everyone one was using reverse engineering to changed or copy smartcards to get free tv.
Once you get the program to stop running then you can copy, modify, Or create new code. This is the reason that Minelab will only allow you to save programs from the unit to the PC. If you could create programs then upload them to the Etrac, then you would have the ability to get into the program very easy. Anything that a man creates another man can copy it.....or change it....

Tom
August 21, 2011 12:36AM
The music sounds like a knock off Terminator sound track, a little too dramatic.
Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?
Hey buddy only what ya see!
August 21, 2011 12:54AM
Lol.........that's what I thought too............give me your clothes...your boots....and your motorcycle
August 24, 2011 12:18PM
" One thing for sure I wont get the first one!!! "

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!..........

If its a single frequency machiine , I will read no further !!..... The AT Pro for the money is STILL a great little machine ....YMMV ......BUT , I"m not going down the rebadge road if this is yet another rebadged single frequency machine ...... " I haven't got time for the pain !! " .....Jim
August 26, 2011 06:06AM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but my AT Pro performance has been outstanding.

A number of users don't seem to be impressed with AT Pro depth, but I am getting excellent depth and ID at depth. Runs great in the iron with minimal falsing. I really appreciate the nuanced audio on this detector and the distinctions between different types of targets. This is also a detector that isn't dependent on a certain swing speed for optimal performance. And super stable, I've had no EMI issues in areas where I have had issues with my two previous main units. From a bottom line standpoint, I'm finding a lot of good targets with it.

With this good comes the bad, and the quantity of widespread issues this detector has had is definitely bad.

Falsing coils, waterproof but not actually waterproof housings, upper rod/arm cuff poor ergonomics, faulty pinpoint buttons, etc.

Garrett has fixed, or is fixing, or has offered additional cost options to correct these and other issues. I'm not knocking Garrett customer service, they have always been courteous and helpful to me, but that department was put in a tough situation handling all the problems that this detector has had.

The one thing that seems glaringly obvious to me is that Garrett has a field testing issue. Whether the problem lies with the testers or Garrett, I don't know.
August 26, 2011 06:41AM
Marcomo, I am glad that you have a AT that performs correctly. That's always been the issue with the AT. Getting one that performs correctly and stays that way. Hundreds of buyers, maybe even a few thousand have not had your experience. I was seriously considering getting a AT, but even today, the odds are much higher than normal amonst top mfg's of detectors, that I may get a problematic AT detector. Way too many owners have had to do multiple returns to Garrett for multiple issues.
Take the issue with leaking. The AT is notorious for that. Now, is the problem with the employees that are assembling the AT. Or is it a matter of the housing/O-rings (if it uses those) not being the correct tolerances? Why isn't it being resolved? Before the units leave the factory. Even the machines depth is suspect with some users claiming phenomenal depths and others can't get past 7" on coins. Again, I suspect hardware/out of spec tolerance issues.
Maybe in a couple of years, if they get the multiple issues PERMANENTLY resolved, I might consider getting one. The land/water capability certainly has its appeal/uses.
It will be very interesting to see how this new model plays out.
August 26, 2011 01:37PM
Terra, I completely agree with you that the ATPro has had way too many issues. A more thorough design analysis and/or actual experienced user testing before release could have saved Garrett and its ATPro users a lot of headaches...and expense.

I actually did have my pinpoint button go out late last month somine has not been without issues since I got it at the end of May. I went ahead and had the $40 upgrade done at the same time since I was sending it in anyway, although if I hadn't had the repair issue I would have waited until closer to the end of the year for maximum warranty extension.

I am an average height man, 5'11", but after an hour or two with an AT Pro that did not have the extension it was obvious to me that the short upper rod/arm cuff was an ergonomic issue for all but people with very short arms. An easily noticable and fixable problem that was handily solved by Kenny House's Gizmo or now by the Garrett upgrade. That's why I say that either the field testers were not qualified or Garrett ignored their advice. Since Garrett appropriated Kenny's fix, I'm sure they are happily paying him residuals...
July 29, 2013 05:22AM
This spring/summer I would like to take the kids panning for gold. I picked up some equipment (3 pans, magnets, siphons, strainers) last year, but we haven’t gone anywhere yet. What would be a cool place to take them without having to worry about private property, mining claims, etc.

Gold Mining Equipment
July 29, 2013 01:17PM
I found the AT I had was on the money. I just didn't like the tones and the nose heavy feel of it. This one was a good unit and deep hitting. It would hit a dime at 10" in my 3.5 year old test garden. My garden is mineralized ground so it puts most units to the test. I would consider another one but hope the new one is multi-freq.
July 29, 2013 01:23PM
My only AT dislike is the coil connect to unit sucks!