Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

golden payday

Posted by Sam63 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
golden payday
September 22, 2011 06:33PM
Out this morning detecting on a river bank. Runing the v3i on a mod coin and jewlery program,3 frq. Hit a very week signal.depth read steady at 12.5 . Vdi jumped around -6 to +30 in three directions. At a measured and witnessed depth of 12 inches and to my disbelief appeared signs of gold. My first gold coin,but it gets better.looking more closely a $5 indian head.woooo hooooo.happy dance!!!!! Gets even better at further inspection,looking at the date made my heart poud.it read1929!!!! Coin is in really good condition.will have it graded asap. What a day. Other finds in same area 6 wheats,3 merqs,1 slq,$9.12 clad and two silver rings.what a day!
Re: golden payday
September 22, 2011 06:37PM
Congrats - find of your life and with a very good detector (that I also own) I might add!

When you pinpointed it, which frequency hit the hardest (I imagine the 22.5Hz)? If that is the case, I'd go back through that area in 22.5 for sure...

Get a pic up when you have a chance.
September 22, 2011 06:58PM
22.5 . I will be going back this weekend. will be bringing etrac and gold bug pro. From what I have found about this area it dates between 1880 & 1932. Three houses burnt down and area grew up with bushes and trees. All this info came from a wonder 92 year old woman that lives across from property.
September 22, 2011 07:28PM
Wow seems to be very rare. Congrats
September 22, 2011 08:18PM
Big congrats to you! That is a $7500 coin.
September 22, 2011 08:29PM
Pics or it didn't happen - lol

Congrats, a milestone for every detectorists!

HH,
Brian
September 22, 2011 08:32PM
WOW Great story and great find - wtg!!! How ya likin' that v3i?
September 22, 2011 10:28PM
Man that sounds awesome!!!!! Congrat's to you!!!

Can we get a picture of it?

If you can post a pic you can send it to me and I will get it up...

More and more gold coins coming out of the ground in the last few year's...There's a guy on Treasure Depot showing a 1840 2 1/2 dollar he dug yesterday with some luster still on it!!!

Did you play with the freq's before digging it? or notice which one was hitting it the best on the graph?

Keith
September 22, 2011 11:05PM
Hey Sam... you might want to send that story in to whites. I bet they publish it! Cool finds!!!!

"Happy hunting" - Schultzie
September 22, 2011 11:37PM
"Find of a lifetime ought to cover it"
PS: take to a reputable coin dealer or three methinks its a big bucks coin.....
September 23, 2011 02:42AM
Depending upon condition...... it's about a $12,000.00 coin!

MEGA - CONGRAT'S!!!!!!!!!!

Yes...... would love to see a picture of it. This is the highlight of a detectorists career.
September 23, 2011 03:00AM
Been looking for one of those for 25yrs...or any gold coin for that matter...

CONGRATS!!!
September 24, 2011 01:13AM
Sam,

If I recall correctly...... approx 99.9% of the 1929 Half Eagles were melted........ and ........ even though 662,000 were minted........... only about 865 remain in the world. This is to say that you have one of the rarest coins in the world. The bulk of the remaining 1929 Half Eagles are in the Smithsonian Museum and top-name collectors hands. I would ONLY let PCGS 'slab' the coin....... if you choose to have it professionally graded. This coin that you have ....... will be in highest of demand by the worlds top numismatic famous collectors. I strongly recommend that you document EVERYTHING about this coin....... as to where it was found...... depth it was located.... and every other detail about the coin. You have a masterpiece!

And............ you say this coin was found at 12.5" deep. Imagine if your detector could only detect this coin to a depth of 11" !!!!!! You would have NEVER found this masterpiece. Once again: DEPTH IS CRITICAL!!!!!!!!!! I am hurt to see SO many people say: "Ten inches is as deep as I would EVER want to dig!" A couple more inches...... and $12,000.00 later, , , I think the story would change!
Congrat's once again.
September 24, 2011 01:40AM
I will be posting pictures of the coin and other finds. I have it on video as well. The coin will probly grade in fine condition. I keep a log book of all finds as well as permision to hunt records. I believe the only reason it was found is because the coin was within 1in. Of a pocket of rust about the size of a golf ball. We all know sometimes a good target is only found because of a bad target. When I get out of hospital because of needing cancer removed I will post video and pictures. Thanks for all the great advice.
September 24, 2011 08:48AM
CURE THAT CANCER FIRST AND FOREMOST! This is something that FAR trumps any materialistic item.... even with major National significance.
September 24, 2011 12:21PM
Is that one of the years that the government (secret service) always tries to confirm as authentic? Once they are taken the owner has to get a lawer to get the darn thing back? I know there were some gold coins that surfaced for sale a year or two back by a prominent collects family for auction after his death and they had to batter it out after allowing the government to TAKE A LOOK at their coins.

Dew
September 24, 2011 05:39PM
You are talking about the 1933 Double Eagle. The 1929 Half Eagle is safe.
September 25, 2011 02:34AM
Sam63....take care of yourself!!!! You have a great story but all that can wait till you're better! Best of luck and congrats on an awesome and incredible find!