Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2-Box Detectors

Posted by Metalman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
2-Box Detectors
October 04, 2011 01:50PM
Hello All, I am looking to purchase a new 2-box metal detector for locating caches of coins and such. I have narrowed it down to White's TM-808 and the Fisher Gemini-3. If anyone uses a 2-box detector your input will be greatly appreciated. Frank.
Re: 2-Box Detectors
October 04, 2011 03:28PM
Hi Frank,

I've been a Two-box user for along time, Since the early nineties. Not putting the Whites 808 down but there is a lightly better model (TF-900) very similar appearance wise and may even cost you a little less.

The TF-900 two-box has a two SAT speed feature while the TM-808 only has one SAT speed, As terrain or mineralization change the TF-900 with it's two SAT speed feature helps the operator run the detector with better stability.

Not familiar with the Fisher Gemini-3, Never owned one so I can't comment on this particular model.

Take care,
Paul (Ca)
October 04, 2011 04:10PM
Hi.,, I own three or four of these gizmo's all various brands....They seem more suited and geared towards finding bigger objects and not a smaller jar of coins.....I think I would starve if I counted on finding a jar of coins with mine....A metal detector seems more suited towards finding a Mason jar of coins or small cache of coins....But if your after a deep BIG treasure chest full of gold, coins & jewelry it just might be your ticket.........Best of luck in your decision.......JJ
October 04, 2011 04:33PM
Hi... I agree with jimmyjiver. I used one many years ago and they are great for finding lost manhole covers. They are useless on smaller items. .
October 04, 2011 05:00PM
I have heard the Discovery TF-900 as Paul mentioned is the best out of the offering's...

I had a dealer friend back in the 90's and he liked the Discovery for himself and his pursuit.......He could use whatever he wanted but liked the TF...

I think there was an earlier model White's also made by Discovery for them? I may be wrong but it was before the 808 maybe the 800 but it I believe it was the better of the White's...

Never used one over a couple of hour's so I cant comment any further..

Keith
October 04, 2011 06:14PM
I did do some research on the Discovery TF-900 and it has been discontinued (I am not a big fan of buying used) It did seem to have a few more features that the White's TM-808 and the Fisher Gemini -3 seems to be geared towards the larger items. The White's specs say that it will locate a 3 Sq. in. object a @ 3.5 feet. My problem is that the woods here in Southern New Jersey are loaded with scrub oak trees that are about 2-3 feet high and it is impossible to swing the F-75 SE in there even in CL or All Metal Mode.
October 04, 2011 06:24PM
I think A&S still has some new one's?

They will hold up very well....2 Box detector's are also tricky to run....take that into consideration....It is a truly specialized piece of equipment...

My buddy uses his looking for Cherokee Gold from the trail of tear's.....And he has been successful..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 09:17PM by Keith Southern.
October 04, 2011 07:11PM
Discovery TF-900 / I did call the dealer and he said it has been discontinued for some time now. I guess I may have to choose from the White's or Fisher. I know they are very tricky to run and learn, but I think a 2-Box is a must for the type of ground I need to cover.

Frank
October 04, 2011 07:13PM
Hi Frank,

Discovery replaced the TF-900 with a newer model new name, I'm sure it has the same electronics just changed it a bit cosmically with adding back an intensity meter and maybe a couple of other changes appearance wise.

Keith is right, Try A&S Company out of Santa Clara here in California he should have some TF-900 models left in stock. Plus, His prices are hard to beat.

And Keith, You're so right Whites did have an older TM-800 model in which Discovery electronics was the maker of the TM-800. The two companies parted ways so Discovery electronics renamed the TM-800 to TF-900 selling the two-box under Discovery, Whites came out with the TM-808 which is a good model but lacks the two SAT speed feature. .......I think we new the same two-box person, Ed from Search and Recovery here in California was the best two box operator in the world. He trained me in the early nineties with the TF-900, Thanks to Ed I seen how the TF-900 fared better than the TM-808.

Ed was on a front page treasure magazine holding a TM-808 but in his heart he favored the TF-900, The treasure adventures he had world wide were remarkable.

I have both models, The TM-800 and TF-900. Both identical models just under a different name.

HH, Paul (Ca)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 07:15PM by Old California.
Re: 2-Box Detectors Problem
February 25, 2014 02:17PM
Need help my Discovery TF-900 is falsing while scanning in a normal steps but the false signal is gone sometimes when I scan very slowly.
I think the antenna is loosing.I'm planning to put a screw at the antenna like the TM-808 but afraid to hit some wires inside.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Clement
February 25, 2014 05:34PM
XP is supposed to be introducing a 2 coil system soon ,early 2014 ,add an extra coil onto your deus if you have one ,for large items only
February 25, 2014 08:08PM
Hello Clement,

Sounds like what happed to me once these loops do go bad sometimes, But check this out first most of the time it's from new users having the loops on backwards but in your case I'm sure you've been using the TF-900 for a while and have both loops in proper order.

Here's a pic with how the loops should be placed, One is the TF-900 the other a TM-800 which are the same 2-box only under a different name.

Check and make sure you have prober GB, And if possible go with Fast S.A.T. speed and compare it with Slow S.A.T motion see if this helps. If it continues then one of the loops may be bad, This happened to my TM-800 it has a bad loop, can't remember if it's the front or rear loop so I've gone to using this unit for tracing proposes only with the special front loop and trace attachment and use the other 2-box for cache hunting or for locating buried objects for people.

The good news is do have one good loop believe it's the front loop I can spare, But will need to make sure. If you like, Send me your 2-box so I can check the loops and if yours happens to have the opposite bad loop can spare my good one it's yours, I will send you back your 2-box either with a good loop or the same condition it arrived with same loops. Hope this makes sense?

Hope this helps?

Paul (Ca)

February 25, 2014 08:09PM
Thanks diggers for sharing the deus will have a 2-box setup available in the near future, That will be neat for dues users who go after caches and such.

Paul (Ca)
February 25, 2014 11:25PM
We use the Fisher's at work. They seem to work good for what we use them for.
February 26, 2014 12:02AM
Hi Paul,
I would be happy to send my two-box for you to check but unfortunately I just got back here in Ireland and left my two-box back
Home in Philippines cauz my brother wants to try it specially there're many treasure hunter there looking for Japanese loot and
have no proper equipment.I'll tell them to check to make sure if the antenna causes the falsing.Maybe I can get it back this summer
and I'll send it to you.
Thanks a mil for your offer,
Clement
February 26, 2014 02:12AM
A Garrett GTI 2500 with the Blood Hound (2 box) set up works really good for targets like mason jars full of coins at 3' depths

Personally I've never dug one full of coins but I have found them (empty jars) with the set up and an old hunting buddy of mine (old timer - in his 80s now and who was a mentor to me) Doyle Finch of Finch Products INVENTOR of The Magic Tumble Clean System found *2* Mason Jars FULL of old silver dollars and other coins back in 1998 I believe on an old farm with one (not tellin where)! They are on display (or at least were) at his home based operation in a small building on his property that he used to sell detectors & equipment out of back 15 yrs ago and beyond (here in Michigan). His son runs the business now - his wife passed a few yrs ago and Doyle went blind while on vacation in the winter of 1999 out in New Mexico out in the desert while gold prospecting --- he was lost in the desert for 4 days/nights completely blind with no food and no water and until the search team somehow managed to find him on the verge of death... That ended his 30+ yr detecting career (that started in the 60s). Another hunting partner of mine and his wife drove the 1600 miles out to New Mex to meet up with him and his wife and to drive their motor home back here to Michigan for him/them... His product is sold world wide and well known by many in the detecting hobby (at least anyone that's been in it for a while) and it's hands down THE BEST cleaner you can buy on the market for cleaning coins/jewelry, etc.

here's a link to his product website in case you're interested - [www.finchproducts.com]

P.S.
I'm not affiliated in any way with this product and I'm not trying to push it off/sell anything here

I only posted the link to his product site in case anyone here wants to try something different for cleaning coins/relics, etc. as I have used it myself and know it's better than anything else on the market that I've ever used/tried.

HH all

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2014 02:26AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
February 26, 2014 06:37PM
We'll figure out something Clement, Maybe I can send you the loop once we figure out which look is faulted.

Take care,
Paul
February 26, 2014 08:47PM
Old California Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks diggers for sharing the deus will have a
> 2-box setup available in the near future, That
> will be neat for dues users who go after caches
> and such.
>
> Paul (Ca)

they were supposed to be on sale before xmas but delayed till first 1/4 this year ,my name is on the UK dealers waiting list .
very usefull if you find 1 or 2 coins to check for a motherload just further down and out of reach of the 11 coil .
and you can carry it around with ease .
February 27, 2014 12:15AM
Thanks again Paul for your generous offer.I'll let you know as soon as I'm sure which loop is faulty.

Clement
February 27, 2014 03:35AM
This one is supposed to be like new

[santafe.craigslist.org]