Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

UNREAL!!!!

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
UNREAL!!!!
October 13, 2011 10:23PM
Check out the silver coin's this guy find's in a river....

Same Guy I posted last week has put up a new video of his silver coin's...Something like 176 of them from 1750's till 1837....he has 127 or so Bust Halve's!!!!

some of the halves look uncirculated...

wonder how they got in there?

[www.youtube.com]

Keith
Re: UNREAL!!!!
October 13, 2011 11:05PM
Salivating as I watched the video, unbelievable. I saw him on a video detecting with the boys from Garrett, also in a stream like that one. They were finding civil war relics/artifacts.
October 13, 2011 11:15PM
Absolutely remarkable!
October 14, 2011 01:21AM
Thank you for posting that link.....I've never seen anything like that before. Makes me wonder about getting a CZ 21 and seeing if Tom would tune it to enhanced mode instead of salt mode so it could be used more effectively in fresh water....
October 14, 2011 01:44AM
MAJOR HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE!!! Tremendous find. I have strong belief this cache is 'payroll'. Looks to me like a military wagon (with the pay-master)..... around 1838 - 1840 lost his/its payroll. U.S. Military were paid in 'specie' payment......... which....... (by the law of the Constitution) is 'silver & gold' payment.

It is my strongest recommendation for this guy to put a high-powered rare earth magnet on a stick...... and REMOVE ALL MASKING CULPRITS. Then re-scan the area. At the beginning of the video..... one of the large silver coins ID'd as a mid-tone. Clue number 1 !!!!.... that masking is taking place.

What a excessively heavy 'push' (sales pitch) for the AT Pro. Very good unit...... but too much 'push'.
October 14, 2011 02:46AM
I was wondering why with so many coin's not one single U.S. Silver Dollar .....

I did a quick look-up of Dollar's on Wiki...Well I learn something new everyday....

here's what wiki say's

"The Coinage Act of 1792 authorized the production of dollar coins from silver. The United States Mint produced silver dollar coins from 1794 to 1803, then ceased regular production of silver dollars until 1836. The first silver dollars, precisely 1,758 of them, were coined on October 15, 1794 and were immediately delivered to Mint Director David Rittenhouse for distribution to dignitaries as souvenirs.[3] Thereafter, until 1804, they were struck in varying quantities. There are two obverse designs: Flowing Hair (1794–1795) and Draped Bust (1795–1804). There are also two reverse designs used for the Draped Bust variety: small eagle (1795–1798) and heraldic eagle (1798–1804). Original silver dollars from this period are highly prized by coin collectors and are exceptionally valuable, and range from fairly common to incredibly rare. Due to the early practice of hand engraving each die, there are dozens of varieties known for all dates between 1795–1803"

I think the Newest coin found was 1837 so there was not enough time to get dollar's into circulation to be in the cache..the 1794-1803 were probably super rare even back then!!!

So I believe what Tom is thinking is a good possibility .........Since some of the later halves are in beautiful condition it could very well be a payroll straight from the Gov. to the paymaster........The larger coin's(Specie) were sufficing for the Dollar's....

I believe this guy's find was surely lost/hid in 1837......

I don't think I could have been as calm as him though...

I like those Piece's of eight but man those Half's are just plain out awesome....There's no coin on earth as beautiful as early Americana Silver....

I would bet there are quite a few more there ....

He said he is done for the season.....Yeah I am sure!!

I noticed the mid tone too Tom....First thing In my mind was what if it's a gold coin?

Would be a excellent spot to locate a Gold coin I do believe...???

Keith
October 14, 2011 03:27AM
Good greif....
I'm still looking for my first silver dollar! I wonder what all that loot is worth???
Thanks Keith
October 14, 2011 03:48AM
I would think it's worth quite a bit of money Aaron...There could very well be some key date's in there also...

Just take $100.00 a coin and you are right there at $18,000.00 and it should be all kept together...He documented it perfectly..so that add's to the value also..

could be a few 1,000.00 dollar coin's lurking in there could be a few $75.00 coin's lurking in there but I'll bet he has a nice nest egg once he research's what he has...

Just my take...

I would want top dollar for such a find if I sold it.....

but it would be hard to part with...

Keith
October 14, 2011 03:49AM
I think the heavy push for the AT Pro was at the end, likely for placement at the Garrett website...he has other vids posted there.

I'm guessing the coins were hidden in the river...appears a large rock was placed over them as a marker, so they could be recovered later on. The person(s) who left them there must have met an untimely fate. I wish those coins could talk...I'm sure it would be an interesting tale.

Could there be a separate gold cache in the same vicinity? I wouldn't be able to sleep thinking about it.

I agree with Keith, those Bust Halves are beauties. I would be pleased to find just one!
October 14, 2011 03:53AM
Yes....... for the most-part....... American silver dollars did not exist until the Morgan silver dollar. Sure...... there were some produced before 1878; yet, for some reason....... they just did not circulate much in this country.

If there had been copper coins in this find..... it would not have been a military specie payroll.

Hope this guy keeps this entire collection TOGETHER...... and does NOT split it apart..... and hope he does not e-bay them.

Major NATIONAL Historical significance.

The foreign coins......... especially the Spanish/Mexican coins......... were looked upon (in the day) as exactly half-dollars and silver dollars. A 8-reale coin is exactly a silver dollar. In fact....... this is what WE (America/U.S.) based our dollar upon. A 4-reale is the 'bench' for our half-dollar.

I would not have pulled the coins out of the water....... exposing them to Oxygen. I would have acquired a glass jar/plastic jug from my car...... filled it with the exact same water........ and put each coin in this jar of water. Then....... brought them home for proper cleaning. (((Would I have thought of this on-site? I doubt it!!!!...... through all of the entire-adrenal-dump excitement!)))
here's one more I ran across
October 14, 2011 04:01AM
I remember reading this year's ago...could not find it till now...I have looked and looked for it and just now located it online...Amazing ...

[www.treasurenet.com]

This kind of stuff is all across America...In the water on the land wherever,,,,

Keith
October 14, 2011 08:12AM
Absolutely unreal. I can't believe what that guy found...no words to describe that.

Then, Keith, that link in your last post is just amazing.

Simply unreal.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2011 10:25AM by steveg.
October 14, 2011 01:53PM
Stunning....amazing.....simply not enough adjectives to describe that find.....wow!!!!!! I'm with Keith, no way would I have been as calm as this guy. If I'd had only found one of those beauties, I would have jumped out of the water and started to look for someone to "high five"!!! LOL!!!
October 14, 2011 02:08PM
Oh if only coins could talk what a tale they would tell comes to mind.

Personally I would hunt the area for a least another year especially downstream.

One wonders why a CZ20 was never made in regular mode for freshwater hunting or at least a switch to give one the best of both worlds and am sure Tom might add to this as it was an interesting observation from a previous post..
October 14, 2011 09:17PM
I was messing around today with my CZ 3D between salt and enhanced mode and it gave up very little in salt mode.
A Dime air tested about a half inch less and about one inch on a Nickle.
Lower conductive targets suffer a little more than hi conductive targetsThe lower the conductor the bigger the loss.
A CZ 3D in salt mode should equal a CZ 20
Any machine would find many of those coins , ya just had to swing over them.
October 15, 2011 12:57AM
Well written article. Thanks for sharing Keith.

On numerous occasions...... I have given professional one-on-one training on this very topic. (Cache hunting). They are much more common than most could imagine.
October 15, 2011 01:35AM
Did you all notice that the River video cache and the Upstate New york land story cache are real close in the date range's.....I think the river cache shut's off at 1837 and the upstate N.Y. cache end's in 1838....and mostly the same ratio's....of halves vs other coin's....just the N.Y. cache is much larger...

Wonder if this is a another "specie" cache Tom?

I find it more than just a coincidence .....

Keith
October 15, 2011 06:27PM
I was thinking in the same lines of Tom, if there is that much silver, there must be gold, I love seeing and reading stories like this one, good for him, I wonder how many people walk over that spot over the years
October 16, 2011 12:12PM
Specie payments were the 'norm'....... and cache's were ALSO the 'norm'. Yes............ nothing but silver coins (or silver and gold)...... heavily lean towards 'specie'. Without copper coins......... "highly suspect" specie/payroll/military................. ESPECIALLY if nearly ALL other targets in that river were military implements........ bullets/buttons/buckles.
October 24, 2011 01:50AM
Beau is a maniac(I mean that in a good way) probably one of the best hunters out there period.
October 28, 2011 03:53AM
"Specie [gold and silver coin] is the most perfect medium because it will preserve its own level; because, having intrinsic and universal value, it can never die in our hands, and it is the surest resource of reliance in time of war." - Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to John Wayles Eppes, 1813
October 29, 2011 03:20AM
Critical (and forgotten) U.S. constitutional requirement for this country.
January 27, 2012 09:11PM
What an AMAZING FIND!!!!!!! Simply UNREAL! This guy is my hero. it looks so easy. got some questions for when i find my coin spill with the AT PRO I will buy soon.....

Was wonderin about the black crud on many of the coins. What is it and can it be cleaned off? why place the coins on a rock under the water? why were some still shiny? do these kinds of finds have copper or gold mixed in sometimes?

Also, with a coin spill like this, are there usually foreign coins mixed in? how would a coin from Brazil get there?

Man, it really looks like an easy find. Coins were sitting right on top of the river bottom. How lucky! Looks like he could have practically pick them up off the bottom with his hand. The weight of the coins and sediment in the river didn't even bury them deeper down.

How he contains his excitement is sweet. Hell, just watching this I had to make use of the roll of toilet paper several times. And he was able to identify every coin he dug up and he's a relic hunter not even a coin man. He should get a wetsuit when the water got too cold and he had to wait until next year to come back. hope he remembers the spot for next year in case he missed half the spill. he should be all over that place.

What's even more amazing is he found it with Garrett's AT PRO. This video should really give a boost to sales of the AT PRO. Chuck always loves these kinds of finds. This guy should send this video to Garrett so we can promote the AT PRO to better compete against Minelab machines. This kind of find is truly a marketing bonanza! it was really fortunate that he names and praises the detector and pin pointer he was using when recording the find. I always do the same thing every time I record a hole I dig.

thanks to anyone for any answers.....