Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is there really that much performance difference between the Omega, T2 or F75?

Posted by wjs 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wjs
Is there really that much performance difference between the Omega, T2 or F75?
November 22, 2011 12:17PM
Is there really much performance difference between the Omega, T2 or F75? Not talking about features but if you took all three to the same site and compared deep signals would there really be that much difference between them as far as accurate TID, depth, seperation, etc. Thanks.
Re: Is there really that much performance difference between the Omega, T2 or F75?
November 22, 2011 03:14PM
Having used a T2 and F70 seems like Technetics has flooded the field with similiar units.

Having said that the new improved F75 seems to be their flagship and top of the line and would guesstimate its the best of the lot. I opened the door fellows so step right in as many do well with these units....
Re: Is there really that much performance difference between the Omega, T2 or F75?
November 22, 2011 05:42PM
I had the T2 and now have the Omega (and White's V3i).

On coins, I just found deeper coins more consistently with the Omega. Note that I had the T2 or years, so was pretty ok with it. I think the Omega's lower freq is more resonant on most coins. I wouldn't use the T2 as my main coin machine. It was SUPER sensitive on small objects though and much better on relics than the Omega. (Which makes sense freq wise).

I think most would say the T2 is an overall deeper machine and I wouldn't argue that, but on coins, especially silver, the Omega just performed better for me. (The V3i smokes both in depth though imo.)

EMS
November 22, 2011 06:03PM
The V3 is deep indeed.

Have you tried running the 2.5 khz only for silver coins. The lack of the very sharp 22.5 khz helps it to not see very small particles in the first few inches of soil.

And, when a detector does not see a metal object i have the understanding that it doesnt mask either. Not even silent mask. What it does not see just isnt there to the detector.

With 3 frequencies it gets stopped much more often in the upper inches on all kinds of small fragments.

I wish that Dave really are making a dual ultra low freq detector.... maybe with a single freq option at around 14 khz

I have wondered how deep a F75 ltd in boost would have been on a coin if it was a dual ultralow freq detector. Think about that.
November 22, 2011 07:47PM
frninfo - You really got me thinking. I have briefly tried the 2.5kHz freq. I am so attached to the 3 freq pinpoint (I wish they gave that option still when running 1 freq). I am and was planning on playing more with it in areas where I have "cleaned out" the silver coins near iron. (It should also do well in iron as it doesn't hit iron well and as you said doesn't hit the small stuff - great "pre" discrim idea.) I will for sure have to run it where small objects abound (normally I drop the disc sens there).

I also hope fisher is working on a dual freq (CZ) machine - and at low freq like the E-Trac AND with options as you said. It is pretty clear the E-Trac does function at the lower freq and it sure does good on silver, better than all the above mentioned machines with the V3i a very close second - maybe equal or tied if you get ALL the settings right - Which is damn hard! ehehe.

Still thinking,
Albert
$1 worth
November 22, 2011 10:01PM
I've owned the camo F75, and currently the camo T2. A buddy of mine has the black F75 and an F5. I think the F5 and Omega are brothers like the F75 and T2.

Between the F75 and T2...I prefer the T2. I relic hunt most of the time and the T2 has a wider degree of iron resolution vs the F75. In other words when the 75 is at its lowest disc setting it practically already eliminates most iron....so finding things like gun tools, cannon ball frags, etc would require 100% all metal. If I use discrimination at all, it would only be in good ground but there are iron targets I use discrimination to help keep from digging everything and the F75 don't allow me to do that where as the T2 does. Other than that I say signal per signal they would be the same. I do wish the T2 could retain the last settings used like the F75.

Now here is a interesting bit. My buddy with the F5 got it for his boys to hunt with as an upgrade from an Ace 250. He himself tried it out in his yard and was finding several coins. He called me up and wanted to go hunting. At the time, I was out of a detector. Had just sold my GPX 5000 and didnt have any thing else. So he offers me the F5. We went to a local spot and I wasn't that optimistic about the F5 but any machine beat no machine so I gave it a go. My first and I mean VERY first signal was a Civil War caltrop...very rare find. They used them to throw in roads to cripple horses. This was actually the 4th or 5th one to come from there. Well I noticed it was a lot quieter than the T2/F75. My buddy was hunting with his black F75 and constantly calling me over to see if the F5 could pick up his signals. Every one and I mean ALL of them he called me over for where he would say "this is a deep bullet or something"...I would hit the spot with the F5 and say there was nothing there or that it was iron. In every case it was a nail or wire. So off to site 2 for coins. My buddy put on his 5" coil and that's when the fun began. I had an unfamiliar machine but was racking up the coin count. He was doing a lot of digging but chasing small junk til he cranked his disc up. That F5 was silent (almost too silent) til it hit a coin. And it would Id and lock well. Didn't dig any deep ones but was a fun machine to use. So I say that to get to this. My buddy started playing with the F5 and calls me up one day. He had been hunting this house built in the early 1850s that is a bed n breakfast now. It has a bunch of junk around it and he and some other guys had been hunting it. He went over with his F5 one day after already hunting it with his 75. He dug a late 1850 something seated dime. His first seated coin...F5. Goes back a week later...finds another one. F5 again. Needless to say now its his coin machine if his kids aren't with him. Its not that it can find them deeper...it just sounds off on them and gives good signals on them that lock and not bounce around.
Re: $1 worth
November 26, 2011 10:42PM
*** Civil War caltrop...very rare find ***

Interesting. It is said by some that Caltrops were not widely used in the Civil War, or at all. How many spines does your find have? Popular steel Jacks having six or eight spines in various shapes can look like a Caltrop. It is said Caltrops of that period have four long spines.
November 26, 2011 10:57PM
I had the T2 now the Omega. The Omega has a more stable target ID. Locks on better on deeper coins. The T2 was just too jumpy in those deep coin scenarios. I was digging too much iron. Is the T2 deeper? Yes it is. But as a deep silver turf hunter, I find the Omega more stable even though I may lose 1-2" depth with the concentric coil in my heavily mineralized soil. When I put on the 11" DD coil, it beats the T2 for stability and gets about the same depth.
November 26, 2011 11:35PM
Not sure if they made jacks this big. These are about the size of a tennisball to baseball. That would be a heck of a Jack!
November 27, 2011 03:26AM
DanielTN.....the little girls back in those days were strong...from farm work.....smiling smiley I couldn't resist
November 27, 2011 12:33PM
TerraDigger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had the T2 now the Omega. The Omega has a more
> stable target ID. Locks on better on deeper coins.
> The T2 was just too jumpy in those deep coin
> scenarios. I was digging too much iron. Is the T2
> deeper? Yes it is. But as a deep silver turf
> hunter, I find the Omega more stable even though
> I may lose 1-2" depth with the concentric coil in
> my heavily mineralized soil. When I put on the 11"
> DD coil, it beats the T2 for stability and gets
> about the same depth.

That is also what I have found. I might have to start using my Omega again as the V3i weight is bugging me a bit lately.

I felt like I had a really good feel for the T2's sounds and I dug most targets to learn it. Once I got the Omega I just started digging more coins. Even coins in iron the Omega would sound partly on. It truly has a nice audio.

I hope and Pray that they come out with a CZ Omega of sorts. Something with E-Track/V3i depth, Omega lightness and frequency and CZ multiple frequency option. And a little programability. Oops, there I go or went, again.

EMS
November 27, 2011 10:36PM
earthman and Terra -- pretty good testimonials for the Omega. Terra -- surprised to hear that with the DD coil, you think it hits coins as deep as the T2...wow!

Steve
November 28, 2011 03:20AM
Next to the E-Trac the Omega is one AWESOME coin machine!
November 28, 2011 01:32PM
Steve...I think it does match the T2 for the sole reason that when coins were real deep the T2 VDI had a tendency to lie. The Omega has a more stable VDI under the same circumstances. And I do rely heavily on the VDI. Contrary to popular thought that one shouldn't. I think alot depends on how good the unit's VDI is, and how well one can interpret it. So, if I can snake a deep coin knowing its a coin, then yes the Omega is functionally, with the 11" DD coil, as deep as the T2. I was digging too much deep junk with the T2, thats why I switched. I am a dedicated coin guy, not a relic hunter. If I was doing relics, then I would have stayed with the T2. The jumpy VDI wouldn't have been a decisive factor, as relic hunting is at best, using ballpark VDI's if any VDI at all. Digging a 11" deep hole in a park with the T2 and finding a chunk of iron masquerading as a possible coin is not fun. And that happened alot.
Plus, as I think Keith Southern pointed out, and I found out, the T2 VDI stability suffers in highly mineralized soil. Idaho is a big ol basket of severe mineralization. This VDI instability still makes me scratch my head as the T2 was designed to operate in very mineralized soils as a prospecting/relic machine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2011 01:42PM by TerraDigger.
November 29, 2011 01:13AM
Terra --

Gotcha -- EFFECTIVE-depth wise, the Omega is deeper. Makes total sense...hearing your struggles with the T2 and jumpy/inaccurate VDI and your greater satisfaction with the Omega's more stable VDI with depth reminds me much of my struggles with the F70, and now my greater satisfaction with the Gold Bug Pro...

Steve
November 29, 2011 02:05AM
CZ 3D Is as deep as any of the above mentioned.
November 29, 2011 06:59AM
Digger70pa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CZ 3D Is as deep as any of the above mentioned.

Yes, it's one of the deepest units out there, on par with the E-Trac and V3i I hear. But, it apparently is not the best detector to use in iron.