Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Things to do when it's too cold to detect...( several pics )

Posted by yardhunter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Things to do when it's too cold to detect...( several pics )
November 28, 2011 03:09AM
.......around here, it gets pretty cold & the ground usually freezes in January thru March. That's when I find other things to do with the finds I've made over the years.
Here's an example of something you can do if you're bored when it's cold....

A few years ago while I was out working, I noticed a figurine display case sitting on the curb ready for the trash truck. I couldn't resist taking this one home & let it join the other cases here at home.....

I noticed a glass & a mirror was broken. Hmmm, I didn't care. It was loaded in my postal vehicle & eventually made it's way to my house. I spent about $25.00 getting the glass/mirror cut & it took about an hour to fix it.

I got real lucky...all the display glass items that figurines sits on were all there. It was as a simple as setting the cabinet up & start putting goodies in it. I never display rare & valuables....just ordinary targets from the ground that are "conversation" pieces.....

Here's shelf #1.......
Showing minnie balls & common buttons found over the years....

Here's shelf #2.........
Junk jewelry found over the years......

Most people are amazed this much "stuff" comes out of the ground. Yep, I tell 'em & there's plenty out there to find......

Here's shelf #3........
Whatzits, found over the years.....

How about shelf #4......
Wierd stuff found over the years.....

Shelf #5..............
Lighters found over the years......

Obviously the detectors didn't find those bottles, they were in the
hole with other targets....

Here's shelf #6......

That's the bottom shelf. I placed large finds there because no one wants to reach to the floor & pick up targets.

Here's the final product for a whopping price of about $25.00....
Yes, the light even worked......

So....if you are desperate for something detector related to do this winter, why not get out there & find a display case at a flea market & make your own displays...The non-detecting public will be amazed at the items you find with detectors....

Hope this gets you "fired" up to get out there & pick up a display case for yourself. There are plenty of ideas & ways to display goodies.
I have 4 other large cases here & I'm always on the look out for more large display cases.
Who knows....maybe I'll find another one soon...and...if I'm nice to the wife, maybe she will allow me to bring it home!

Thanks for looking..........see ya yardhunter
Re: Things to do when it's too cold to detect...( several pics )
November 28, 2011 03:25AM
Hey yardhunter -- that is simply awesome; great way to display your finds! And some great finds in there, too! smiling smiley

Steve
November 28, 2011 09:31AM
Very nice display. I have a cabinet with some great finds in it along with drawers and drawers of finds. Maybe someday I will post pictures also. Looks like you need another cabinet soon!!
Tri
What folks do down in key west....where it never snows
November 28, 2011 12:54PM
( [www.hogsbreath.com] ) (3 of them ) webcams live 24-7....Hogsbreath Saloon in keywest....after a hard day of metal detecting.....

Or.....if...really bored......check out the past homemade bikini contests..... [www.hogsbreath.com]

When the snow piles up......and cabin fever sets in........something to boost your spirits.....

Tri
November 28, 2011 01:17PM
That looks totally trick........Nice!!
November 28, 2011 01:52PM
Outstanding and a tip of the hat for your post.

Had the pleasure to see a complete room decorated with outstanding finds when I knocked on a door to inquire rel the owner of an area. Guess one never knows who detects and certainly a surprise and time to move to another area as this fellow must have cleaned the area judging by his finds.

Myself try to keep up my walking winter program and of course research is always on my mind whether it be the local hangout or the library as always scouting for new places to hunt...as silver coins getting tougher to find every year....
November 28, 2011 02:37PM
Nice!!!!!
November 29, 2011 03:40PM
That's some really cool finds and display. Thanks for the pics.
You said your not displaying anything of value??
November 30, 2011 02:02AM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's some really cool finds and display. Thanks
> for the pics.
> You said your not displaying anything of value??

That's right. I don't display anything of value.
Nice coins & jewelry etc is only shown to close trusted friends.
Everyone else sees them in a scrapbook .
Here's an example of 2 different pages in this 175+ page book:

Thanks for looking............see ya yardhunter
November 30, 2011 02:51AM
WOW -- cool ideas you have there, yardhunter!

Steve
December 05, 2011 11:17PM
Very Nice!...Last winter I built a 'Treasure Chest' so I can lock-up and hide all my stuff....
December 06, 2011 04:00AM
That is commendable. You have triggered me to do the same!