Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New and Improved F75? Is it true?

Posted by ziphius 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New and Improved F75? Is it true?
December 04, 2008 07:30PM
Someone recently posted about battery spring issues in September and I had thought that Fisher had remedied that issue in mid-2008, along with upgrades to the housing gasket problems noted on various forums. At the KellyCo site, you see the message "NOTE: "The New Improved Fisher F-75 is Now In stock & Shipping". Can anyone out there tell me if the New Improved F-75s are really "new and improved"? I bought one mid-year, love the electronics, but hate the lack of toughness (weak battery springs, housing gasket cracked and gone). If Fisher has genuinely solved these issues, I'd like to purchase a second unit.

Jim
interesting i will wait and see what is posted - i traded my F75
December 04, 2008 09:34PM
for E-trac and i love it, but i really miss the 75 and i want to get another one myself

waiting patentenly ?
Re: interesting i will wait and see what is posted - i traded my F75
December 05, 2008 01:48AM
I bought a used one built in mid 2008. Housing/gasket issues were entirely fixed by that point - but the battery spring issues remained on mine- but were an easy self-fix. Could be that they put it all together in this new model. This detector is great - even with the bugs and all. Plus, I don't nearly have the EMI issues that others claim.

Ian
December 05, 2008 09:24AM
To my knowledge, little (if any) changes to the electronics. Now....... as far as hardware; it's common for a Mfr to make minute' changes on-the-fly. I know this portion did indeed take place.
December 05, 2008 03:40PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I know this portion did indeed take
> place.

this is a great thing then

thanks
Re: New and Improved F75? Is it true?
December 05, 2008 05:12PM
Ian,

Did you use plastic washers to shim the batteries into place for your self-fix? Or merely stretch the battery springs? Thanks to all for the comments.

Jim
December 06, 2008 01:33AM
I used 2 little strips of rubber about 1" inch by 1/4"(about the thickness of a large rubber band) and simply slid them under the bottom of each pair of springs. They stay tight and holds the batteries snug. Works like a charm!

Others have used plastic washers - but I found the strips of rubber much easier. Don't stretch the springs - they will break off if not careful.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 01:34AM by saginawian.
December 06, 2008 02:38AM
I have one of the pre-upgrade F-75's and have not had a problem with the battery holder. I do use rechargables and they get recharged after every use. Maybe letting the springs relax regularily avoids the problem?

What I do have is a split handgrip that's split about halfway up. I have no other issues with the F-75, small coil or the FX-1 probe. I'm hoping Fisher can send me a new grip and hope it's easy to put on.

Ron
December 06, 2008 02:48AM
Ron - Did you see my post on one of the other sites Re: the leather grip upgrade for F75? Basically I took a leather tennis grip and wrapped it tightly right over the foam. Looks great and is super comfortable. Makes the detector very sturdy feeling. If you want to see pictures, I'll email them to you.

The spring thing was a clear problem with mine from day one. I put rechargeables in it - which helped (b/c a bit larger size) but the problem persisted. For mine giving the springs a break wouldn't work. But with the little rubber strips the thing is fine.

Tom - I know you have designed detectors - do you have an explanation for the spring issues? I'm curious, did they have a plan for a battery pack at first - then switch to standard batteries? It seems like F75's shouldn't have left the factory with this obvious problem - I know it's not a huge deal, but there's gotta be a reason - unless "inspector 12" took a nap that day.

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 02:53AM by saginawian.
December 06, 2008 01:05PM
Ian,

T-2 was first...... and F-75 was carry-over IRT the batt cmpt. "Some" mod's were made...... on the fly. ---It is difficult to design something perfect . . . right out of the box. The batt cmpt was initial design...and never a after-thought. The 'springs' concept was a great idea,,,,, for a stationary product. In a product intended for dynamic swinging, dropping, bouncing, articulating..... and other forms of mobility; the springs concept registers as a 'average/above-average' functional option (not perfect). It is a very user-friendly concept; however, by virtue of mounting the entire battery cmpt horizontal..... including batteries being horizontal..... would virtually aleviate gravity disconnect.... and reduce momentary DC interrupt. A slightly larger diameter spring would further enhance spring tension..... along with a tighter helical-wind freq rate.

Tom
December 06, 2008 07:54PM
Ian:

Yep, I saw that. Wrapping the handgrip with tennis racket wrap will be the next thing to try if it's too much problem to just replace. Not comfortable with sending the F-75 for the upgrade. I like it just the way it is (minus the split handgrip).

Grew up in the city. Wonder if Belle Isle is open to detecting. When I was a kid everything North of 8 mile was open fields. Used to be a big amusement park on the Northeast corner of 8 mile and Gratiot. Eastwood Park, I believe. Closed in the late 40's or early 50's.

Ron
December 06, 2008 11:12PM
I just had to send my F75 back due to the 11" DD coil went dead..The unit worked great with the small coil, I had fisher do the upgrade and they replaced the coil
...the new upgrade battery springs have been replaced with much stiffer springs
new larger grip and face sealed....this was as of oct 08.
December 07, 2008 11:01PM
If it is improved it still takes a lot to learn how to use it. The F75 is not a turn on and go machine if you are relic hunting. There is a lot going on and you have to have the time to understand it and if you can do that it is a killer machine. Maybe one of the bests out there.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 08, 2008 04:52PM
LowBoY,

I only mildly disagree with the assessment that the F75 is not a turn on and go machine. In all-metal, it certainly is turn on and go, especially if you are hunting fields. You're right about it being a more complex unit in discrimination mode, but I've learned to tame the machine and love it.

Appreciate the confirmation from others about the upgrades.

Jim
December 09, 2008 03:25AM
Again, my (biased) input;

With the F-75/F-70/T-2 in 4-tone and a moderate Sens setting..... it's a fairly simple-to-operate (and learn) unit. Problem is; MOST of us will 'overdrive' the unit in most applications.... for 'beyond max' performance.... self included. This is what makes for a steep learning curve.

Tom