Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F75 All Metal mode

Posted by Wingnut 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F75 All Metal mode
December 17, 2008 07:35AM
I was playing around with the F75 All Metal mode. It was fun trying to figure out what I was hearing. And whether to dig or not. The deeper stuff does not give a nice 'BEEP, here I am, dig me!' signal. It kind of whispers at you like a small piece of tinfoil. I tried Mono tone with Disc 6 but I like the 4 tones and a disc of Zero. But even then I get frustrated and crank up the disc to 15 and go for cherry picking for quarters.
I don't hear many people talk about the All Metal mode. So I am looking for any more tips on using it. I know it is really sensitive. But it can be tough knowing what you are hearing.
My back yard is almost soft enough to dig in, now that it has been raining like mad. I hear some nails calling my name. hehe.
Re: F75 All Metal mode
December 17, 2008 05:35PM
Wingnut,

All metal mode will provide much more depth. In most cases, you still have the target ID readout on your screen in this mode. I've dug some of my deepest coins this way and some of those targets I would not have dug in discrimination mode. They were bouncing all over the place and never locking into a sweet, high tone. Also, if you are using all-metal and get a deep signal that does not provide a screen ID at all, dig it! It might be deep iron, but frequently, it is a very deep, desirable target. If you are primarily searching for modern coins that are not that deep, then yes, I would continue to use discrimination mode. My favorite is DELTA PITCH = DP, which gives nice, round tones for coins. Salt, pepper, ground balance, and sensitivity according to taste and soil conditions. Good luck. - Jim
December 18, 2008 02:09AM
Be careful with the 'DP' mode. Try passing a nickel, gold engagement ring, pewter buttons, $1 Gold coins over the coil and see what they sound like....... compared to a nail.... whilst in DP mode.
December 18, 2008 05:06AM
Hey Wingnut. I have tired AM in my yard, it is very clean so it is easy to use I get a lot of 7-10 VDI but if the ground is trashy it gets tough. I have used mono and a disc of 6 and you really have to keep an eye on the screen but I have found some of my best finds that way. Like you I like 4H and a disc of 0 again a lot of info going on and I can only last about an hour less the ground is really clean.

I think you have to just really look at detecting like a hard job that you love. You have to really work hard on finding good targets and hoping they are a good target when you dig them. But after ten years of detecting you should see all the cool old relics and coins and keys and locks and rings,ect,ect I have.

I had to work hard to find some great history but it pays off if you invest the time and use your detector the F75 and use it the way it was intended to be used. And what I mean by that is there are a lot of different ways to hunt with the F75 and sometimes you have to see what works best and then work it till it pays off.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 18, 2008 06:25PM
Out of curiosity, last night I took a clad dime and piled three square nails on top of it. I was operating my F75 at a sensitivity of 60, which is mid-range for this machine. Tones were "delta pitch", which means that higher VDI readings have higher tones. Iron sounds like a fart and high conductors sound sweet. My F75 got the dime tone just fine, though the VDI was reduced from what would normally be a 73 reading to something in the low 60s. There was almost no iron tone from this mixed target. If I backed way off on the sensitivity to say 30, then the dime tone was degraded considerably and the iron tones were more dominant.

In monotone, the mixed target sounded exactly like either of the two pure targets. The chances of the mixed target sounding like mostly iron was reduced by switching to monotone. I think this is what Dankowski was getting at when he suggested operating the machine in monotone in iron-infested areas. But I think that if you can run your sensitivity high enough, the F75 just sees right through the iron. If anyone has other testing suggestions, I'd be happy to try them. - Jim
December 19, 2008 02:28AM
A true paradox; With F-75, T-2 & F-70.......Higher Sensitivity gives better ID and Audio resolution in trashy areas. In some areas where the iron (usually nails) are at a further stage of decomposition.... you may be able to run the Disc at '4'...... or maybe even less. A short period of experimenting/testing will dictate what you can get away with... and is a CRITICAL step to unmasking capabilities.

If you can handle a Disc '0' setting with 4-tones and high Sens settings in trashy areas..... especially iron-laiden areas...... this will 'open your eyes' ,,,,,, re-open hunted-out areas and revolutionize the way you think & hunt; ESPECIALLY for relic hunting. Warning: The audio presentation can be fatiguing; hence, my (more tame) recommendation of Disc '6' & Monotone settings.

Tom
Rotate that coil over iron targets!
December 19, 2008 05:40PM
Did another test last night with a nail and a dime. Placed the nail directly on top of the dime. Mode = delta pitch, disc = 0 and disc = 6. The dime signal comes through loud and clear IF the coil is swung over the short axis of the nail. If you TURN 90 DEGREES and swing the coil over THE LENGTH OF THE NAIL, then all you hear is an iron tone. 90 degrees makes a huge difference.
Re: Rotate that coil over iron targets!
December 20, 2008 04:38PM
.....as does a angle and/or direction change in a hunted-out field. The elliptical DD coil accentuates this phenomenon.
December 22, 2008 06:22AM
Iron is not my main problem. It's all the dang blasted aluminum. You know if aluminum was worth as much as gold I think I wouldn't mind at all. I seem to recall that the aluminum makes coins look better than they are. It up-averages them. Same kind of mischief as iron but in the opposite direction. If I dug every beep in the park I hunt I would spend the day within arms reach of my truck. And it would all be aluminum. I ought to mark off a 3ft square and dig every target. Especially by the bigger trees. Why do people throw all their crap at the base of the big trees? I discovered a penny under a big root (1-2 inch dia) before. The F75 can see right through roots just fine. hehe. You would have loved to see a video of me trying to dig around/through that root.
I kind of jumped from topic to topic in this posting. Sorry.
Thanks for all your thoughts and some new ideas to try.
December 22, 2008 08:16AM
I think marking off a 3-4Ft area and digging every target would be a great exercise.
As soon as the snow goes I am going to do that, and i'll post my results.I've got a sight that has yielded some silver but has a lot of trash so I'll try there.
December 22, 2008 12:26PM
Some areas will shock you as to how much can be unmasked..... and other areas can produce nothing extra. Select your unmasking area wisely.
December 25, 2008 11:40AM
In the UK detectorists have long used the method of marking out search areas say of 20 to 30 yards at a time even using ropes to cordon off the part being searched.
This is usually done when they are searching alone or in pairs.
On club digs with 20 to 40 people present it would be inappropriate to try and monopolise certain areas and would not be allowed.
There is mounting evidence that a good target can be found or missed depending on the amount of masking present,by iron for example and it's relative posistion as to the good target and the angle/direction of approach by the search coil.
Wrong angle/direction of approach and a good target WOULD NOT be detected.
Correct angle/direction of approach over the same target in the same piece of ground at the same time and the good target WOULD be detected.
As we cannot determine where the above factors of masking, good target, angle/direction of approach will pay dividens i for one will be trying a more discreet method of marking out.
In so doing i will walk,plan view horizontally up and down an area of say 30 square yards.
On completing the area i will then walk,plan view vertically over the same area.
I will try this out along with Toms settings and will post my findings.
As i can usually only get out once per month it may take some time for a pattern to evolve.
This more methodical patient approach certainly bucks the trend, most detectorist set off like the rampant animal scene from Jumanji !!
Mentality is more ground covered equals more finds which may be right but may also mean more missed for the more patient search.
Take care, Mart. Halifax. UK.
December 26, 2008 12:14PM
Mart,

Good report. --Time permitting, you may wish to read "Head-To-Head Comparison Testing" posted on the home page of this web-site. You may have already done such.

Tom
December 26, 2008 03:37PM
Tom.

Your on the button with the head to head scenarios, so many variables.
Even the poker chip marking can be misleading, it's one thing being able to detect a target that is clearly marked and you KNOW is there, but would it have been picked up without the marker?
I have followed directly in other peoples footsteps (and others have done it with me) and found what was missed.
The detector may be able to pick up the target easily but was it the sloppy sweep technique, were we distracted for a moment, was it nearing the end of the day when fatigue was setting in that caused it to be missed?
That's why there's always a chance of returning to well searched sites and still finding some keepers as you would say.
Simularly much of the land that i detect on is heavily and deeply ploughed on an annual basis, this means that to some extent it's like going to a new site. Good and bad targets are constantly being moved up and down over and under one another and to have a truly searched out site takes a long time.
I think all of the above has a posistive effect and helps to keep us fresh and optomistic prompting the next return visit.
Interestingly what's your take on the PF mode, many in the UK that have had a good few hours on the F75 say it's their prefered mode along with 0 disc and 2f.
I know you have comented on 0 disc multitone in compilation 1 and not unfavourably when conditions allow.
I presume that newly disturbed soil as when it has been ploughed carries it's own difficuty footprint to overcome and that's why the developers included it ??
Take care, Mart.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2008 03:42PM by mart.
December 27, 2008 12:17PM
Mart,

I have found the 'PF' mode to give the best perf in nearly all cases ... 'JE' mode excluded. Minimal/no degradation of return signal. EMI permitting, I have been utilizing Disc '0', Sens '99', "PF" mode and 2 or 4 tones selected for greater than 1-1/2 years. . . . primarily 4-tones. Tremendous attribute; however, very audibly fatiguing. All-Metal mode has never been practical (as of yet). I deliberately choose areas of hi iron (nails) content to hunt; as they contain the most (and usually oldest) 'keeper' targets in high density/volumes. Most other detectors/detectorists avoid these areas.

Tom