Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ground depth bar graph

Posted by Cuniagau 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ground depth bar graph
December 29, 2008 12:47AM
I have only used my F75 three times and basically in a nail infested trash pit. My question has to do with the Depth Bar Graph. At times it will bounce around with the top part lit up or the center or the lower. I would think that a bar chart would show a progression of depth. Or is this like the VDI numbers jumping all over the place in the trashy areas? I have pulled a couple of nice Indian Heads as well as some nice buttons out of this area and they locked in nicely. So I do think that I have a feel for the detector but don't understand some of the quirks yet. Any care to venture the depth bar jumping instead of progressing?

thanks,
Cuniagau
Re: Ground depth bar graph
December 29, 2008 02:01AM
All 3 bars = 0" - 4".
Two bars = 4" - 8".
One bar (only the bottom one) = beyond 8".

If a target is at (say) 4"...... it may jump between two bars and all 3 bars BECAUSE..... your coil does not pass over the same target at exactly the same height with every single sweep and/or same fore-aft location ,,,,,, and it is so common for the 'tilt' of the coil to be slightly different when you are swinging it to the left..... then sweeping back to the right. It's quite an accurate gauge.... but keep in mind; it's actually a 'signal strength' gauge that is calibrated for depth using a penny.

And if the bar graph is jumping all over the place whilst sweeping coil..... it is because of the multiple targets at varying depths that the coil passes over.... in rapid succession.

These are the 2 primary reasons, yet, there are other variables.
December 29, 2008 12:25PM
Tom,

And that all sound reasonable and what I would expect and what you are saying makes perfect sense. But what I am seeing doesn't. What will cause just one bar - say just the top bar or just the middle bar to lit up and not the others? Or am I just totally missing something in what you are saying and the manual is saying? Is the processer so fast that I am only catching the one of the two or one of the three bars lighting up?

Cuniagau
December 30, 2008 12:56PM
My bad! The top bar is 0" - 4". -- The middle bar is 4" - 8"..... and the bottom bar is beyond 8". Only one bar will illuminate at a time. You are not going crazy! I was thinking it followed suit with the battery level indicator. It is a depth-zone indicator for penny-sized objects.
December 30, 2008 03:54PM
Tom,

Thank you for letting me know that I was not seeing things! LOL I have use a CZ since 1994 and know it like the back of my hand and got this F75 and am trying to learn every blink, every sound, well just everything about it. That depth bar was driving my nuts as I couldn't find anything about the order of the display. Oh, by the way, I read in another of your post on this forum that you sometimes used a sheet of plywood when detecting. Well I thought that I was the only one that did that. I have a 2 ft by 4 ft piece of 3/8 inch plywood that I step on to smash the weed and grass down, swing the detector over it and then with the toe of my boot flip it over, step on it and swing again. I have used this trick for years with amazing result. No coil hanging on weed or grass and several inches closer to the ground. You leave a track that you know that you have detected and can really grid an otherwise ungridable or sometimes undetectable area.
Thanks again for the info on the Depth Bar on the F75.

Cuniagau
December 31, 2008 12:05PM
You are welcome. Primarily rely upon the audio responses of your F-75 (just like your CZ) when you are hunting. Let all of the VDI display info be a distant secondary data input source.