Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone have the Minelab GPX 5000?

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone have the Minelab GPX 5000?
March 13, 2012 03:50PM
Tell me about it.
Re: Anyone have the Minelab GPX 5000?
March 13, 2012 04:47PM
You forgot to say please....
March 13, 2012 05:50PM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You forgot to say please....

LOL!!!

It's one of the detectors on my wish list, you know, when I find enough gold rings. I was shocked to find out that you actually have some degree of discrimination, kinda like the TDI Pro.
March 13, 2012 06:24PM
Awesome machine. What do you want to know and I will try to help. I don't know of another detector that can go as deep as it can in any soil type. Coin size objects 18-20 inches with the 11" DD coil with gain at factory preset....which is middle of the road.

The battery configuration is difficult to get use to....don't like the harness thing and an extra cord to get tangled up. They have after market batteries with control box mounts but they cost as much as a good VLF machine lol.

It is super sensitive to EMI...you have modes to calm it a bit but even at a gain setting of 1 at its lowest it can still get to around 10 inches on a dime in red dirt ground. I actually ran it in places I couldn't run an F75 without it going crazy with EMI.

I wish it cost a bit less than what they do...and wish they made a 5 or 8 inch round DD coil for it.

They are NOT sensitive to micro gold....VLFs are much better. I've got gold chains that are 20" to 22" long and up to 3 mm in size...that the 5000 or TDI wont make a peep on...even wadded in a ball. A high freq VLF will get it 2 inches or so away. Once you get into things half dime size and up....it kicks in the nitrous and blows everything else away.
March 13, 2012 06:28PM
I have been following the forums pretty close on the performance of the 5000, looks like it will detect tiny gold nuggets down to 2-3 grains in size with the new timings and the right coils, so this is a vast improvement over some of the previous pulse models, I am saving for a pulse model detector of some sort myself. I will probably end up with an older model such as the extreme, or perhaps a 3500, depends on what I run into reasonable priced. Looks like that new Blitz coiltek 14x9 coil is a good pairing for the 5000 for general use.
Joe
March 17, 2012 03:21AM
I was told by a very knowledgeable and respected dealer, that sells both Minelabs and Whites, that the difference in the amount of gold you'll find with the latest and greatest Minelab compared to what you'll get with a TDI would never make up for the cost unless your a full timer with lots of experience.
I had a GP3500 that I sent to Australia to get modded, a 3 grain nugget would make it scream. Only problem was, there are so many claims up here in Montana that you have to spend hours and hours going through the data. Then, after you finally find a potential spot, you hike into it just to learn someones placed markers already. Allot of guys will never officially file, they just come in every spring and set new markers to avoid spending the $100.00 fee. They have 90 days to file and they always seem to have "just" marked the claim.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2012 12:58AM by Joe.
March 17, 2012 04:05AM
Does it have good discrimination, Daniel?
March 17, 2012 02:01PM
It is pretty decent on blanking/nulling on small iron like square nails....the 4500 and 5000 both could null on them down to 10-12 inches. The catch is that if you use more iron disc on it, then everything deeper wants to break up and you'll begin passing deep non ferrous things thinking they are iron....I'm talking 12-18 inch things like bullets. I always ran mine about mid range. Seemed to be the perfect balance to it. If I had the money to buy any machine out there right now, I would have one to replace mine.
March 25, 2012 02:45PM
Detectorist
Here is some interesting video footage, not technical in nature but you might obtain something from it.
GPX5000 VS Eureka Gold [youtu.be]
There are many other videos that show off the GPX5000, this is just one of them.

I don't own a GPX5000 and most likely would not. I've always been curious about these machines simply based upon the fact that they cost over $5,000. It's got to be awesome, fantastic, great, find it all deeper etc.... right?
A GPX5000 is going to have to find quite a few troy oz of gold to make itself worth the investment.
From what most people who own them have stated, they are not at all ergonomically friendly and temperamental to use. You'll see video of the Aussies pulling out "Rippers" huge gold nuggets but you could do that with machines that cost 1/5 of the price of a GPX5000. I've talked with a few people who claim that the machine is the best on earth for prospecting, then again I know that by human nature, people sometimes often justify the huge expenditure as to not appear foolish and validate their desire to own something of this status. I'd be careful as to the hype that exists and talk with as many people who own them as you can. People like Daniel Tn might save you some frustration, some money or both. I do know Daniel Tn's statement regarding not being sensitive to micro gold is accurate according to everyone I've talked to. I like Minelabs products, I'm not here to discourage you or to sell one to you but, I'd really have to think long and hard about diving into something like a GPX5000 even if the massive price was not a concern.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 03:14AM by Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant.
May 12, 2016 09:30PM
Hi Joe.
Have you tried any of the GPXs and would you compare GP3500.
I'm looking at GP3500 now. It's still a bit pricey, $1900 Canadian dollars, but all the GPXs are over five or six thousand!
Think yellow; dream big.
Thanks
Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 09:39PM by bcgoldminer.
May 13, 2016 12:37AM
Actually you can get the GPX 4500 wadays for less than $3000. It will do 98% of what the 5000 will do except for a couple timings it lacks. I've seen a few 4500's go for $2000 with almost full warranty left. I only relic hunt with my 4500 but hope to go prospecting in the near future. I have dig mini balls and buttons at 12-18" in very mineralized soil.

bcgoldminer Wrote:
> Hi Joe.
> Have you tried any of the GPXs and would you
> compare GP3500.
> I'm looking at GP3500 now. It's still a bit
> pricey, $1900 Canadian dollars, but all the GPXs
> are over five or six thousand!
> Think yellow; dream big.
> Thanks
> Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 12:39AM by Fletch88.
May 13, 2016 12:44AM
I went the 4500 model route for the reasons Fletch stated above.

And I also got the 5x10 coil as an add on.

So far I like mine,,need to run it more though to build my confidence.

Certainly doesn't seem overly hard to run.
May 13, 2016 02:04AM
Joe Wrote:
> I was told by a very knowledgeable and respected
> dealer, that sells both Minelabs and Whites, that
> the difference in the amount of gold you'll find
> with the latest and greatest Minelab compared to
> what you'll get with a TDI would never make up for
> the cost unless your a full timer with lots of
> experience.
> I had a GP3500 that I sent to Australia to get
> modded, a 3 grain nugget would make it scream.
> Only problem was, there are so many claims up here
> in Montana that you have to spend hours and hours
> going through the data. Then, after you finally
> find a potential spot, you hike into it just to
> learn someones placed markers already. Allot of
> guys will never officially file, they just come
> in every spring and set new markers to avoid
> spending the $100.00 fee. They have 90 days to
> file and they always seem to have "just" marked
> the claim.

I must disagree with the dealer you mention. I own both a GPX and a TDI and have found hundreds of nuggets. I use the GPX 95% of the time at least. If you are talking only going nugget hunting on rare occasions then yes he is correct but most people that are truly serious nugget hunters swing a Minelab and for good reason.
May 13, 2016 04:30AM
The 5000 may not hunt micro jewelry with a DD coil. If you want to hunt fly poop gold put the 6" mono coil you will hear everything...and I mean everything.

Kenny
May 13, 2016 04:35AM
This threads 4 years old confused smiley
May 13, 2016 06:35AM
Thanks for your input everyone. I had no idea how daunting this decision (first detector) might be.
May 13, 2016 12:01PM
bcgoldminer Wrote:
> Thanks for your input everyone. I had no idea how
> daunting this decision (first detector) might be.

A recommendation for you.

You may consider looking around on a forum,,,name is detectror prospector forum.

It like this forum,,,its host is very knowledgeable and has vast amounts of experience..

The detector prospecting forum--- more info geared towards prospecting vs this forum.
May 13, 2016 05:58PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> bcgoldminer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks for your input everyone. I had no idea
> how
> > daunting this decision (first detector) might
> be.
>
>
> A recommendation for you.
>
> You may consider looking around on a forum,,,name
> is detectror prospector forum.
>
> It like this forum,,,its host is very
> knowledgeable and has vast amounts of
> experience..
>
> The detector prospecting forum--- more info
> geared towards prospecting vs this forum.

Thanks for the lead Sharp. I just took a look, and I can't believe the community of detecting out there. It's huge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 06:16PM by bcgoldminer.