Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP metal detectors

Posted by turtleman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
XP metal detectors
February 07, 2009 08:55AM
I was just watching a you tube demo of the Xp Goldmaxx. I think it operates around 18khz. had some interesting features, They did a recovery speed test with a cut half
(UK) beside a nail, and with the nail about 2" away they were still getting a signal from the cut half, and claimed with practice they could shorten that distance.
I was just wondering if any of you are familiar with any of their detectors, or had the chance to try any of them?
The you tube demo was done by Regton detectors. He also did the very same test on the F75, but from what I have read on this forum I don't think he had it tuned correctly.
Re: XP metal detectors
February 07, 2009 05:06PM
I have read about these detectors and across the pond they are now buying the f75. With all of the features the F75 is like having a few detectors under one hood.

The test with the f75 they did would have to be in mono tone and a disc of 6 or lower...I use 2 tones and a disc of 0-5. And if they didn't do that then you can throw the test out the door. And for the F75 to really come to life you have to find clean ground and I mean clean.

Maybe you should look at the F75 or the F70 and the DD coil or wait and see what fisher has coming out next. The F75 is the detector that we all have been waiting for. But give it more depth another coil and mabye a tighter coil for unmasking and I might sell the farm.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Jeb
February 07, 2009 07:53PM
I`m from the UK and i`ve had the 1st Goldmaxx Mk1 which first came to the UK ,and then the next ,the Goldmaxx Power which came after it. Two fantastic detectors .Both have extremely fast recovery speed . The learning curve of them is not easy for some and unless you have some one to show you how to use it either over the phone or in the field , you more often than not WILL find this detector not an easy ride.
On my first one i only kept it about three months. I was ready to throw it over the hedge after a week. The reason was it was a Brand new detector introduced into the UK from France and no one had ,had any experience of using one , so every one was befuddled by it. As i said ,Mine went three months down the line as i`d had enough of continually digging iron when as i thought ,it was telling me it was a good signal. BUT ! it was me that wasn`t reading the detectors talk properly really.
A year later some guys were starting to praise the Goldmaxx tremendously and i thought" hey, theres gotta be something in this if these guys are saying this detectors good after me getting rid of mine". So i bought another one. This time i had a few knowledgeable guys to show me how to use the XP Goldmaxx properly as they had persevered and hung in there with it.
Well what a difference there tuition brought me. Within days i was starting to see where i had previously gone wrong and my finds started to pour in.
The Goldmaxx is a superb detector for hunting in and among the heavy Iron especially with the little 11x8 elliptical coil.
I kept the Goldmaxx for another year, till the Next model the Goldmaxx Power came out and preceded the 1st Goldmaxx. This Model the "power" had increased Power and this was an even better detector for A lot of people. BUT ! there were still guys out there that steadfastly refused to part with their Mk 1 Goldmaxx for anything and to this day still rate it as a "better detector".
I bought the Power and had that for a good 12-15 months till the F75 hit the shores of the UK. I tried the F75 and fell in love with it straight away.
The F75 is in many peoples eyes Faster again in recovery speed than the Goldmaxx has but its a debatable statement as both are extremely fast ,but i having had the two give the nod to the F75,just!Without doubt though, the F75 IS Deeper seeking than the Goldmaxx Power even with the Goldmaxx Power using an 11inch Coil .
I still have and use the F75. Its the top sausage as far as I`m concerned. Its light , fast recovery speed and deep seeking capabilities see `s it as one of the Top three field detectors available to man in the Western World anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2009 07:56PM by Jeb.
February 08, 2009 06:16AM
thanks for the response guys.

lowboy.
when you said that for the F75 to really come to life you have to find clean ground. What do you mean by that?
Where I hunt all the ground is very mineralized. Do you see that as a problem for the F75?
jeb
In the Uk. how do the C-Scope detectors compare? And also, they have a PI unit the CS4PI, have you heard any reports on it?
Also the XP had 2 iron disc controls on it. What's the purpose/
February 08, 2009 12:38PM
Jeb,

I agree.
February 08, 2009 05:04PM
The Goldmaxx test is in all-metal. NONE of the other detectors he tests are in all metal! In fact his Gmaxx test isn't about nulling at all. Also, notice how hard he is on the detectors Regton doesn't sell? Everything is done at factory presets EXCEPT on the Gmaxx (insert rasberry noise here!).

Don't know the folks at Regton Detectors but on the suface, "Norfolk Wolfs" tests are suspicious. I was initially impressed and posted here over the summer about those videos. Since then, I had a friend offer to send me a Gmaxx so I started looking more closely at the videos. They border on absurd (IE. Why is his sweep speed about half over the test bed targets vs. the "normal" sweep speed he claims on the recovery test)

That being said, if I'm understading the Gmaxx Power correctly, you can turn the volume down on the iron sounds while in all-metal. If that's true, that would be an awesome feature .... ATTENTION U.S. Detector manufacturers!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 05:06PM by Shambler.
February 08, 2009 07:02PM
If you use the pinpointer to find clean ground even a small amount the fast grab that. The pinpointer can't be used for to long because it will shrink the target. So pull back on the toggel and search real fast. If nothing is clean release and try again. Since I have done this the f75 has found me a lot more relics and works really a lot better in 2F tones

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

February 09, 2009 02:26AM
I think the problem with any field test is a lot of times they are being done by someone who may not be totally familiar with the fine tuning capabilities of the detector the are testing. That holds true for any manufacturer. It's also one of the reasons that a lot of information on many of the forums is slanted toward a particular mfg.
That's the great thing about this forum is that even though we know Tom is a hard core Fisher Guy, the information he gives is backed up by thousands of hours of testing. When Tom says The F75 is the best he also qualifies it by saying there are certain locations and ground condition were another detector may be better, and if someone came out with a detector that was deeper and gave better target separation in trashy sites Tom would be the first one to have one in his hands.
Keep up the good work Tom and all of the other great contributors to this forum.
February 09, 2009 01:55PM
You are welcome. ----- If another detector came out that would trump the F-75..... even by just 1%....... regardless of brand...... the F-75 would be gone. Life is too short.
Jeb
February 09, 2009 06:11PM
Hi Turtleman.
The CScope metal detectors where in the 80`s one of the top 3 detector manufactures in the UK.
Then the Motion detectors came out ,and The American detectors hit our shores and basically stomped all over the British detectors.
The CScope metal detectors are now a shadow of their former selves and the detectors are what we`d call intermediate detectors, their top of the range detectors are (i`m trying to put this nicely)Mediocre. Not the best, but not the worst available to buy.I`m not into the Pulse detectors I`m afraid so i`m sorry i cannot help you with any revies on the CScope pulse detector you asked about .I did look to see if i could find any but didn`t see any to show you .
I`ve managed to find you the user mamual to download and have a look at.>
[www.eurocosm.com]

Right you ask about the Working of the Goldmaxx .I`ll show you the user working instructions of the Goldmaxx Mk1 .
Have a look at the field test by Gary of Garys detecting

[www.garysdetecting.co.uk]
Hope this helps

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2009 06:17PM by Jeb.
Jeb
February 09, 2009 06:20PM
Shambler the Goldmaxx WORKS IN ALL METAL ALL OF THE TIME .
I can also Truthfully confirm to you that the Norfolk Wolf (john Lynn) is not shifty character. He`s brilliant with the XP Goldmaxx and he knows it inside out. A bit like NASA Tom with his knowledge on Fisher detectors.
I up to a while ago used to be on the phone to John regularly but a spate of ill health and other work commitments leave him very little time to talk nowadays.
Please i assure you he`s a very genuine and knowledgeable guy .
If you want his website /Forum look in on here , you can put any questions you want to ask him on here and he`ll only be too glad to answer your queries.

[www.norfolkwolf.org]
If you go down to the bottom of his home page and click on Questions and answers i`m sure you`ll get any questions answered by him.
Best wishes Jeb

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2009 06:34PM by Jeb.
Jeb
February 09, 2009 06:36PM
Tom Or To Mr Dankowski, i`ve put a couple of Urls in on the last two posts. I hope this IS allowed . I put them in not thinking i may not have permission. So if its not the done thing on this site please excuse my ignorance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2009 06:37PM by Jeb.
February 10, 2009 03:00AM
You are so right Tom...and being a NASA guy a company guy you are use to seeing what can be done when you have the means and money to design new products.

I hope Fisher can improve the F75 and go the next step I sure would love a few new enovations to come to a new machine...Like you said...life is too short not to try new things but if something works why waste your time and money on just another new toy. For me Fisher leads the way...the F75 is not perfect but you can get a lot out of that machine with just a few ajustments...

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 10, 2009 12:58PM
Jeb, --- This is never a problem. Providing links that help others... and positively validate claims..... exposing 'truth',,,,,,,, or at least.... allow others to decide for themselves; this is always an attribute. That is what this web-site is all about. NO-SPIN zone!

Lowboy, --- Yes, I think the proper thing to do is to improve upon the existing F-75 platform ....if no paradigm shift is in the foreseeable future. It would be a detriment to revert backwards after we have come this far. Tightening up the existing (tight) electromagnetic footprint even further, subsequently enhancing adjacent target separation to even greater levels is a "primary". I know I could never revert back to using a standard concentric loop (coil) in most of the areas I hunt (quite trashy)...... and I could not accept hunting with a slower microprocessor again. Never look back...... unless it's for historical/educational purposes. Greater depth has always been MY primary concern. ---- Better 'bad mineral' handling capabilities is also a "primary". ----- And to be able to see thru iron..... as if it were only a mild mineral... would be priceless. Most folks do not realize the order-of-magnatude of how many highly desirable non-ferrous targets are 'masked' by iron trash. And how do you hold these folks accountable for this when: HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE MISSING.... IF YOU DON'T KNOW IT EVEN EXISTS. ---- YOU DON'T KNOW...WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW.

Tom
Jeb
February 10, 2009 04:55PM
I would have liked to if possible , a future F75 become a 3 freq detector. I would have liked to see an on board three changable frequencies of 18 kHz for the Tiny thin silver and such stuff ,and also i would like to see a 4 kHz for the deepies & bigger artifacts. And 12 kHz for intermediate .
Not being a technical guy i don`t know if this is a possibility or impractical but i remember a Compass (200 i think it was) had two frequencies ,High and low ,So, why can`t Fisher (1st Texas sorry) Bring out something similar . i reckon that would go down extremely well especially in the UK .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2009 04:58PM by Jeb.
February 11, 2009 03:17AM
Conceptually, this sounds 'sound'. The Dual Frequency X-series detector (better known as the DFX) is an example. I believe the Freq's are 3Khz & 15Khz. The design engineer of the DFX also designed the F-75. And he did not incorporate this concept into the F-75. The DFX is a good unit, yet, the F-75 will trump the DFX in nearly all conceivable scenarios.
February 11, 2009 03:53AM
Thanks Jeb. Good news that Norfolk is a good character. I got that feeling after reading some of his forum, field tests, and watching his videos. As I've gotten a bit more experienced and rewatched his videos, I've found them to be misleading (likely inadvertent - but true nonetheless). Based on his short video alone, I would never purchase an Explorer, but I would purchase the F75 or Goldmaxx. In my experience that was the wrong conclusion.

I don't see a reason to do a recovery test (null to target) on several units and then duplicate that test on an all-metal machine. If you set up any of them in all metal, especially the F75, you get similar performance. Even the maligned Explorer where he says, while describing what he believes is poor recovery, "this IS on fast" and "you can't go much slower than that" can detect the nail and coin in all metal very quickly.

Am I alone in this assessment? - I often am smiling smiley
Jeb
February 11, 2009 01:14PM
Hi shambler. What i will tell you is that over here in the UK there is quite a lot of rivalry between certain detector DISTRIBUTERS.
Norfolk wolf is a very good friend shall we say, with the Main Distributor of XP detectors into this country and has a lot to do with the promotion of the XP over here. That same Distributor cannot sell MINELABS, as another MAIN ajent has the sole right as main ajent. So without getting to personal and even possibly boardering on slanderous (on my behalf), I will ask you to draw your own conclusions as to why some detectors are given Glowing reports and other detectors might be shall we say "jaded" in the report given to them .If its any consolation we detectorists over here didn`t agree with the Explorer u tube clip by Norfolk wolf , but on saying that John really is red hot on his knowledge of the XP Goldmaxx /Power thats a cert.We actually thought he was making fun of the Explorers "Slow" recovery speed, as opposed to the XP Goldmaxx`s Lightning fast recovery speed. We really did think he was in a dead pan way take the micky out of Minelab.Who knows ???LoL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2009 01:21PM by Jeb.
February 13, 2009 12:29AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Conceptually, this sounds 'sound'. The Dual
> Frequency X-series detector (better known as the
> DFX) is an example. I believe the Freq's are 3Khz
> & 15Khz. The design engineer of the DFX also
> designed the F-75. And he did not incorporate this
> concept into the F-75. The DFX is a good unit,
> yet, the F-75 will trump the DFX in nearly all
> conceivable scenarios.
Hi NASA-Tom, I 'm new here and have had a DFX since they came out. A great machine, at least to me. If that F-75 can beat my DFX in even half of the places I hunt, I would be spellbound! Anyone in my area (western MA) willing to show me that unit in a field test setting, I would appreciate it!! I would buy one in an instant (would sell my E trac). I hunt heavy iron and steel era foundations for colonial and post colonial items. The masking effect is unbelievable. The responces to iron/steel are hard to overcome. Masking is everywhere and I have been successful only with a great program and a small DD coil. But even then, I know there is much more there. I had the pleasure?, to dig a cellar hole out manually, and it was no fun! I got only 2 pewter buttons from inside the hole, but 25 buttons and 2 coppers from one side, of the outside of the hole. All were masked. Only digging is what exposed them. So I have an interest in the F75??? Thanks everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2009 12:31AM by coinnut.
Jeb
February 13, 2009 09:11AM
Its all in the recovery speed of the F75. But i will say that the identification qualities the DFX has on the bar graph is superb IF your able to read it proficiently.
It was never a Detector i could Gell with, but i realized its potential in idetifying targets before digging them once you were profficient in using the DFX. I still think pound for pound the F75 is Ambrosia befitting for the Gods though.
February 13, 2009 01:33PM
Coinnut,

Welcome. Yes, I strongly recommend (if you get the opportunity) to try a F75. Then, I would recommend you ditch the DFX, KEEP the ETrac, learn the F75 well, be spellbound.... and never look back.
February 13, 2009 05:34PM
Thanks Guys. I hope someone is in the area that has an F75, and is willing to show me the ropes! Interesting thougts on ditching the DFX and not the E trac? I have had super success going over pounded cellar holes with the DFX. So it will be hard to pry it from my hands. LOL. But as far as the E trac is concerned, I have heard excellent results from other parts of the country. But here in NE, I haven't been convinced of its capibilities yet! Hear it is a great machine for parks though, but cellar holes? I find in conductive or ferrous mode, iron nearly always produce good conductive numbers (expected) but also high pitched responses, like a coin. The ferrous numbers read around the 12 line. I tried open screen, partial iron disc, and severe coin mode disc patterns and still get a response that is near the 12-46 area. But, who am I kidding, if the F75 sneaks out coins and buttons from worked out cellar holes, I'll probably keep all 3 machines. The wife will get over it.