Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP GOLD MAXX POWER (GMP) - Field Test

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: XP GOLD MAXX POWER (GMP) - Field Test
August 15, 2014 04:37AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve,
>
> One of the ill-conceived attributes of the
> Minelab units is........... most folks think they
> are extremely good in the iron at unmasking
> (((especially coins))). The GMP would be a
> eye-opener.
> Another ill-conceived attribute of the
> Minelab's is.......... they have above-average
> adjacent target separation abilities. Again.......
> the GMP would be a eye-opener.
> The GMP is a meterless unit. Again.........
> another eye-opener.
>
> Just to name a few.
>
> Education can be painful......... yet..........
> priceless.
>
> My old motto: - ((( I would rather hurt you with
> honesty...... than mislead you with a lie ))).

This more than anything else (from the Minelab prospective) is why I am seeking a dedicated iron/relic machine that will excel in my demo sites.

I am on board with the F75SE with only one caveat-That dreaded 3 letter word-EMI.
If I am correct, the ONLY trump card the XP GMP holds over the F75SE is that it is slightly better in EMI environmental conditions.
Decreased depth aside when compared to the F75SE (not a factor for me-separation and isolation of mid/high tones a bigger factor for me) in low EMI/mineralized soil, I may hold out for a XP GMP as it seems to carry a slight advantage in conditions I encounter in my relic demo sites.

OK-Back to more reading

Peter
August 15, 2014 10:16AM
The XP GMP is well above-average at handling EMI. . . . . probably due to "less overdrive" Sensitivity capabilities.
August 15, 2014 01:45PM

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> The XP GMP is well above-average at handling EMI.
> . . . . probably due to "less overdrive"
> Sensitivity capabilities.

As per your other 75SE post, using smaller target grabing coils in the 5" range, does the 75SE level the EMI playing field against the XP GMP and it's standard 9" coil??

(BTW-Great info on EMI... Never thought of it in horizontal planes before!! Awesome.)
August 16, 2014 04:50PM
There is a substantial reduction in EMI on the F75 LTD/SE when the 5" DD coil is installed. Yes, I would say that the EMI is nearly identical ........ F75 LTD/SE 5" DD........ vs .......... XP GMP w/9" coil. On the F75 w/5" coil...... due to the reduction of EMI...... you can run Sens at extremely high levels...... to include Disc settings at very low settings...... and are substantially less likely to run into trouble with EMI. This allows the 5" F75 SE to ascertain (and slightly exceed) the GMP's depth capabilities.
((( That's how much power/Sens is in the F75 platform............. of which/subsequently,,,, gets most folks into trouble. )))
August 17, 2014 03:56AM
Have a XP Gmaxx Power on order. Should arrive in about 2 weeks.
Tom - Great insight here.
August 18, 2014 02:26AM
You are on the road to 'recovery'!
August 27, 2014 12:00AM

NASA-Tom Wrote:

You are on the road to 'recovery'!

My kind of humor!!

XP GMP acquired-Pulled board and confirmed V4 chip installed. Using traditional wired headphones.
Re-reading thread to set up initial settings and take my first run.
August 27, 2014 01:48AM
There should be a sticker inside the battery door compartment saying v4..

Keith
August 27, 2014 04:13AM

Keith Southern Wrote:
There should be a sticker inside the battery door
compartment saying v4..

Keith

Thanks Keith-I looked and missed the small lettering. Upon a second more careful look, it was there. (Just really small!!)
Looking forward to putting the XP-GMP thru its paces.
August 28, 2014 11:43AM
If you are going on a relic hunt for your first time out (especially in a nail-infested area)....... I recommend a Disc setting of around '9' , iron volume down to zero, a Sens setting almost touching the 'red' area........ and your option of 2-tone or 3-tone. This should provide the quickest learning curve. It would also be best to have Silencer on '0' ...... which provides maximum unmasking abilities; yet, this can only be determined by YOU........ due to 'fatigue' factor. How much noise can your brain process whilst on a steep learning curve. And there is a tremendous 'unmasking' difference between a Silencer setting of '0' vs '1'........... and especially '2'.
August 28, 2014 02:02PM

NASA-Tom [ PM ]
Re: XP GOLD MAXX POWER (GMP) - Field Test New
August 28, 2014 11:43AM Registered: 8 years ago

If you are going on a relic hunt for your first time out (especially in a nail-infested area)....... I recommend a Disc setting of around '9' , iron volume down to zero, a Sens setting almost touching the 'red' area........ and your option of 2-tone or 3-tone. This should provide the quickest learning curve. It would also be best to have Silencer on '0' ...... which provides maximum unmasking abilities; yet, this can only be determined by YOU........ due to 'fatigue' factor. How much noise can your brain process whilst on a steep learning curve. And there is a tremendous 'unmasking' difference between a Silencer setting of '0' vs '1'........... and especially '2'.

Perfect Tom thank you. Also-I plan to get a few hours in on this machine prior to scheduling my next 1 hour call with you in the next few weeks. I want to have some time in on the GMP so that I can have the best possible conversation with you on settings-method ect....
Thanks a ton!!
August 30, 2014 12:36AM
Understand. I have much more to post on/about the XP GMP, yet, need to find the time!
September 04, 2014 01:34AM
First run with the XP GMP this afternoon. Happy with the conductors but still learning the tones. (Hence the iron)
Listening for the faint repeatable tones had me digging a lot of empty holes. Typical for this area, you can actually dig a deep target and break up a piece of iron in the process-Erasing the original item you were digging for.
Absolutely need many more hours to get a hold of the tones. One item of note was discerning the good solid tones from the faint tones that seemed to have a scratchy end. (post amble)
On to more trials!!!

A little rivet that came out on my second dig. About 6" down and was nice and repeatable...
EDIT: OK this is crazy good... My second tatget with the GMP is GOLD?!! I just looked up MS&CO and its a wholesaler of gold and silver. And this was found in a small area that has been gone over by me and several other very good detectorists MANY MANY times. AND MISSED!! Until now-Thanks a ton Tom!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2014 01:33PM by SilverPeter.
September 04, 2014 02:03AM
Youll find on the XPS that when your in mineralized dirt even an isolated good target at depth can give the iron buzz on the ends..the scratch your talking of...that where the tricky parts come in knowing if its a iron false or a legitimate hit....the Modultion of the signal will help and knowing your dirt and where you have the ground bal set and what to expect...

The iron buzz/scratch on the edge of the targets is becasue your seeing the whole picture as the audio gate is open..a full report so to speak the audio report starts and the bad ground can sqeek in on the edges of the target to give that buzz sound....if you could speed the XP up in bad ground for more reactivity alot of the iron buzz on good targets goes away..yet the depth will start to drop...slow it down and then the ground could overpower with a longer snapshot and just iron buzz...Fine lines...

Now when your in solid machien gun iron the thought process and what you listen for is different.. not alot of modulated hits in dense machine gun iron instead listen to the QUALITY of the higher tone....

One thing on the GMP I would change if I could is the mid tone....I would like it to be alot higher like the 3rd tone....the low tone iron roll in alot of iron sometimes its hard to pick the mid tone out..Choosing the 2 tone option it uses the mid tone and not the high 3rd for the two tones...not sure why..

The DEUS takes care of this nicely by the way...as I have it set as high as it will go...while in two tone....

The XPs are easy to set up and easy to run but to get the most out of them the Audio has to become second nature to really really unlock a site...oh it will get stuff others miss right out fo the box but to push the envelope into the scratch your head and be amazed the Audio needs to be your 6th sense...

And that just comes with digging alot of targets and listening closely...Concentrate....keep your mind clear....and it will click...

By the way...for the purest report make sure your silencer is off....use the filter in iron unmasking or dirt unmasking will miss things.. learn with the silncer off....this will help with the 6th sense way of thinking..become one with the audio feedback .Listen and you will be rewarded..

Keith
September 04, 2014 02:49AM

Keith Southern [ PM ]
September 04, 2014 02:03AM Registered: 5 years ago

Youll find on the XPS that when your in mineralized dirt even an isolated good target at depth can give the iron buzz on the ends..the scratch your talking of...that where the tricky parts come in knowing if its a iron false or a legitimate hit....the Modultion of the signal will help and knowing your dirt and where you have the ground bal set and what to expect...

The iron buzz/scratch on the edge of the targets is becasue your seeing the whole picture as the audio gate is open..a full report so to speak the audio report starts and the bad ground can sqeek in on the edges of the target to give that buzz sound....if you could speed the XP up in bad ground for more reactivity alot of the iron buzz on good targets goes away..yet the depth will start to drop...slow it down and then the ground could overpower with a longer snapshot and just iron buzz...Fine lines...

Now when your in solid machien gun iron the thought process and what you listen for is different.. not alot of modulated hits in dense machine gun iron instead listen to the QUALITY of the higher tone....

One thing on the GMP I would change if I could is the mid tone....I would like it to be alot higher like the 3rd tone....the low tone iron roll in alot of iron sometimes its hard to pick the mid tone out..Choosing the 2 tone option it uses the mid tone and not the high 3rd for the two tones...not sure why..

The DEUS takes care of this nicely by the way...as I have it set as high as it will go...while in two tone....

The XPs are easy to set up and easy to run but to get the most out of them the Audio has to become second nature to really really unlock a site...oh it will get stuff others miss right out fo the box but to push the envelope into the scratch your head and be amazed the Audio needs to be your 6th sense...

And that just comes with digging alot of targets and listening closely...Concentrate....keep your mind clear....and it will click...

By the way...for the purest report make sure your silencer is off....use the filter in iron unmasking or dirt unmasking will miss things.. learn with the silncer off....this will help with the 6th sense way of thinking..become one with the audio feedback .Listen and you will be rewarded..

Keith

Wow thank you very much Keith! Great info. Here is the what I had the six controls set too.
Freq. Shift at "OFF" (I am not up to speed on this control yet)
Iron Thresh at "9"
Silencer at 'ZERO"
Sens at "just touching red"
Ground at the letter "T" of Accept.
Iron volume at "ZERO"

Good to know that the swing speed can alter deep target sounds. I did alter my swing cadence and it did alter tones however I did not know what exactly yet to listen for... (That will happen in time) Similar of sorts to my Tesoro Bandido but much-much deeper. AND the small conductive targets I picked out with the GMP would never have been found by the Tesoro and it's 5" coil.
The GMP has the feel of a powerful machine. And I am looking forward to more use/learning this weekend!!
Oh and that small pile of bits at the bottom right of the photo above is a bunch of tiny iron flecks that are riddled thru the grounds I am on. What's more-I can run a weak 125lb Rare Earth magnate over the soil and actually attract the dirt to the magnate. Talk about some tuff ground!!
Again-Tom, Keith and others here on this post, I really appreciate all the detailed reply's!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2014 02:54AM by SilverPeter.
September 04, 2014 03:13AM
If you can slowly get over into the ground accept range without too much falsing you will find in bad dirt the targets will sound cleaner...

your freq shift is best left off...if you move it it will also turn on the transmitter to the wireless headphones..then you will be using more battery power...

Keirh
September 04, 2014 09:02PM
Love that 10K gold find!

Peter ..... IF you can get through the most difficult/worst part of this initial learning-curve that you're currently immersed in.............. you are in for stunning results. Yes........... initially.......... you will dig a LOT of iron trash......... whilst progressing through this initial learning-curve. BUT....... remember..... your brain is permanently subconsciously logging/registering/recording this audible data......... for future launch. Make it through this................... and watch what unsuspecting world opens up!
September 05, 2014 02:29AM

NASA-Tom [ PM ]
September 04, 2014 09:02PM Registered: 8 years ago

Love that 10K gold find!

Peter ..... IF you can get through the most difficult/worst part of this initial learning-curve that you're currently immersed in.............. you are in for stunning results. Yes........... initially.......... you will dig a LOT of iron trash......... whilst progressing through this initial learning-curve. BUT....... remember..... your brain is permanently subconsciously logging/registering/recording this audible data......... for future launch. Make it through this................... and watch what unsuspecting world opens up!

Thank you Tom!! Will be back on the iron grounds tomorrow for about 4 hours and will report back with my findings and thoughts.
Appreciate all the wisdom here!!!!
September 06, 2014 02:29AM
Got out again on the iron grounds and had a solid 3-3/4 hours of straight detecting time. Got around 8 conductors. All in the 4" to 7" range. Still a big challenge finding the tone range I want to be in. This may not have the depth I desire but great on the small conductors in this super tuff area. In fact I buried a modern nickel laying flat at 7" and could not pick it out... Yes loose dirt on top but I am often detecting behind others and need to be able to get in this range. Moved the ground knob to the second letter "C" and the sens just touching the red. Lot's more false signals today that had me chasing after nothing. I may need to get a pinpointer but feel with the tight foot print-I should be right on top of the signals I am after???

All in all so far so good and testing a dime next to a chunk of iron on the surface is helping me get the tones I am after. There certainly is a distinct difference between the solid coin tone and the broken, falling tone you get with a chunk of iron. However beyond the 4-6 inch range, those 2 tones (coin/iron) seem to meld together and completely fool me into thinking I have a conductor in the hole. I may work on building a test garden in my yard despite it being the ironized sand base. I did try to burry a dime (flat) and a nickel (on edge) in the area I was detecting today, but lost them both, and not able to detect them at the 6-7 inch range I had them buried at. Pretty excited to see what the GMP can do once I get through the learning curve.

Got a great harmonica reed. Larger target and aprox. 8" deep. Love finding those!!!!

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
September 06, 2014 07:01PM
If your over to the C in Accept you must be experiencing alot of noise and falsing..

find out where your ground balances out at........most will be around noon..or a litle bit above...If your trying to power balance I would not get below 10:30..

The disc will have to be reset if you get below 11 oclock as it will start hitting nails easily..

till I really learn the language I would ground bal neutral...it will help you on the iron tone i.d.

A rule of thumb I like is to set the disc to just dig bent right angle nails but not straight nails....If you dig alot of straight nails turn the disc up some...bent nails are the lowest break point I would go ..

Thanks for showing the trash and treasure in your pic....it speaks volumes ..

The more time you spend chasing straight nails the less time you will have to chase Non ferrous...

Keith
September 06, 2014 08:47PM
Yes..... try running your Grnd Bal around 11 or 11:30 position for now...... and see if that helps enhance your learning-curve.
September 06, 2014 11:36PM
Awesome gents thanks... Will try that right away. This GMP is pretty amazing and judging by the small conductive targets that I picked up, I am feeling pretty good about things so far.
AND the fact I am running in truly difficult ground, means I headed in the right direction. I am hoping to get on a demo site Sunday and put the GMP through more tuff ground.
Will try the GB settings above.

Thanks a ton!!!!!

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
September 07, 2014 08:47PM
Question on the Iron Volume setting. If I understand correctly, the zero setting on that particular control is all the way (to the left) counter clockwise??

On my test piece, I noticed when I turned the Iron Volume control clockwise, (to the right) the single iron chunk was a broken and clearly a non dig-able target. Running the coil over the dime taped to the iron chunk, it gave off a great signal, not perfect mind you but repeatable and clearly a signal to dig for.

So am I off the path here with my settings??

Here is a little photo of my test piece... Right to left is: 1) iron nail with sharp point 2) clad quarter 3) iron 4) iron with clad dime taped to the top. Buried 3" down.

Lastly-My clad quarter (not pictured) buried at a 45 degree angle at 6" gives off a barely noticeable high tone-Scratchy but repeatable with a careful sweep cadence. Pretty good depth considering the difficult soil I am in. Thanks for looking!!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2014 09:04PM by SilverPeter.
September 09, 2014 02:00AM
To expedite your learning-curve via reducing your audible 'human fatigue' factor...... I recommend turning the iron volume down to 'no' iron audio output. This is one in very few metal detectors that you can do this...... and have success. Other detectors..... if you Disc out iron (or..... if available..... turn down the iron volume)......... these other detectors will give you ghost signals, falses..... leading to time-consuming frustration. On the GMP platform...... it is substantially more intelligible........ a true 'value-added' attribute...... with minimal ghost/fatigue factor imposed.
September 09, 2014 02:27AM

NASA-Tom [ PM ]
September 09, 2014 02:00AM Registered: 8 years ago

To expedite your learning-curve via reducing your audible 'human fatigue' factor...... I recommend turning the iron volume down to 'no' iron audio output. This is one in very few metal detectors that you can do this...... and have success. Other detectors..... if you Disc out iron (or..... if available..... turn down the iron volume)......... these other detectors will give you ghost signals, falses..... leading to time-consuming frustration. On the GMP platform...... it is substantially more intelligible........ a true 'value-added' attribute...... with minimal ghost/fatigue factor imposed.

The GMP manual copy I have is a little unclear on the Iron Volume control, and which way it goes. But as I gather the further the right or clockwise you turn it, that decreases the audible level of iron as I understand it?? It sure seems to test that way and what a difference that single control makes. smiling smiley
Heading out again Tuesday to my favorite iron grounds that dates back to the 1870's... Another report then!!! Really appreciate your guidance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2014 02:29AM by SilverPeter.
September 10, 2014 02:20AM
Latest items picked out from my first 90 minutes of detecting. The amount of small indicators is growing for sure against the iron items. I will add that this small group of items came from a 6' by 6' area.
One item of interest was the fact that the little conductive bits all were in the company of iron and not detectable by my Minelab SE. Pretty good start for sure. There is a nuance that I am still trying to figure out however.... While these small conductive bits are readable down to the 4-5" mark, coins are still to tuff to eek out in the 7-9" range. The high scratchy repeatable tones which seem to indicate deep coins are still elusive once I dig down the first 8 to10 inches.
Moving the Iron Volume knob to the right does seem to help distinguish the iron tones-However the deeper iron bits are still sounding nice with a mid tone audible that says dig me. Back to re-reading this post.

EDIT Sept 11-2014:

I want to add a few more things here-As I put more hours in this machine, I am realizing the extent to which this machine will chase after conductive targets in my particular ground situation. (As stated above) The tuning of the Iron volume, has been a real eye opener and keeping the sensitivity high, I am amazed at what this machine can do. While I don't feel competent to make any educated evaluations until I have hit the 100 hour use mark, I can say in this early-early stage that this machine far exceeds my abilities... However I am playing catch up just as quickly as I can.

I also purchased a stand alone pin pointer to assist me with my target search as I learn the GMP... Of course this is for larger targets only!! Testing the Whites pointer on the small (really small) targets, the end has to be within 1/4 to 1/2 inch to pick those up. A testament to the strength of the GMP on the little bits. Pretty amazing. Anyways, the pointer will hopefully help as I learn to pin point properly in time.
Should have another 10 hours on the GMP by end of day Sunday. Thanks all!

-Thomas Dankowski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2014 02:51AM by SilverPeter.
September 12, 2014 02:46AM
Moving the Iron Volume CCW is what will decrease the audio of iron implements.

Yes..... by the looks of it............ your ratio of non-ferrous......vs.......ferrous targets is increasing. (((A bit of a painful learning-curve initially)))........ then......... minimal pain and maximum gain.......... coupled with audio 'trust'. At this point........... the 'ratio' becomes well worth the initial learning-curve pains............ subsequently.... will open a lifetime worth of hunting sites/opportunities that have historically/previously been impossible.
September 12, 2014 03:08AM

NASA-Tom [ PM ]
September 12, 2014 02:46AM Registered: 8 years ago

Moving the Iron Volume CCW is what will decrease the audio of iron implements.

Yes..... by the looks of it............ your ratio of non-ferrous......vs.......ferrous targets is increasing. (((A bit of a painful learning-curve initially)))........ then......... minimal pain and maximum gain.......... coupled with audio 'trust'. At this point........... the 'ratio' becomes well worth the initial learning-curve pains............ subsequently.... will open a lifetime worth of hunting sites/opportunities that have historically/previously been impossible.

Awesome Tom thanks! Again each time out with the GMP equals more finds and less iron. Yes still digging a good amount of iron, but does that really count as a negative when said iron is also harboring the conductors I am looking for?? AND I still have yet to get this on a good demo site. Should be soon. I can certainly see the attraction of the XP products like the GMP... Since I consider myself a coin/relic person, (sorry but I don't see how coins/relics can be considered mutually exclusive) it seems to fit perfectly.

I hope its OK posting my experiences with the GMP here on your post Tom. If needed I can also start a new thread too documenting my learning and use of the GMP

-Thomas Dankowski
September 12, 2014 04:36PM
Two major attributes about iron. Yes..... you are 'removing the mask'. Thats one (fairly small) attribute as compared to the pinnacle forerunner: LEARNED AUDIO SKILLSET that you acquire (and log it into subconscious 'usable' applied-intuition)........ for present/future hunts..... with subsequent success. Catch on to this skillset.......... and the detecting world will seem like magic.

Keep GMP posts on this GMP thread. (Consolidation purposes).... for all to benefit.
September 21, 2014 06:26PM
bump for the op