Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP GOLD MAXX POWER (GMP) - Field Test

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: XP GOLD MAXX POWER (GMP) - Field Test
December 03, 2013 09:04AM
Ron............ I would recommend acquiring this small elliptical DD coil. In certain/specific situations........ it's worth its weight in gold. Although there are limited areas where this coil will attribute.......... it'll open doors that have never in the history of mankind... have previously been opened. For instance........... if an old house has been 'lifted'............ the 'sink-rate' of targets underneath the old house have been protected (frozen in time) by the lack of exposure to mother nature; subsequently, old targets will not be deep. However...... carpets of nails will be the 'expected norm' underneath the old house..................................... along with thin targets such as coins that have slipped through the cracks of the wooden plank floorboards of the old home. It's a stunning, eye-opening paradoxical bonanza with that small elliptical DD coil on the 18-Khz GMP in such scenarios.
Make it a top priority to go out of your way to FIND these specific hunting conditions/scenarios .......... LEARN (and deal with) the iron 'talk' (audible artificial intelligence) of the GMP.................. and bask in the wealth-of-wealth.

Remember: A few percent of performance gain/increase................ can (unsuspectingly) trigger a new era.
December 13, 2013 08:42PM
Tom or Keith or ?

I have a question about the Ground Control on the GM Power. I have only had the Power for a couple of days. The soil here at my house (Texas) is sandy loam type soil (sand and native black organic type soil, but mostly sand).

When I lower and raise the coil, all I get is a click lowering the coil and a click back up, nothing else. I can adjust the Control all the way to the left or all the way to the right and still basically a click down and back up.

In your Florida sand, what kind of signal do you get when trying to adjust this control? On Keith's video of the Power he definitely gets a signal indicating too positive or too negative in his soil.

Just for test purposes, I tried a small piece of ferrite material and with the Ground Control at the 12 o'clock position it will indicate a positive signal. It goes quite, right where the red portion, on the scale, comes to a point (11 o'clock position).

Thanks,

Ron
December 14, 2013 02:23AM
You must have some sugar dirt out your way for sure..

I like about 10:30 or so on the Ground bal if it is good dirt any lower and it gets week on high conductor's....and the disc seems to not work right if you get down about 9 oclock..

Keith
December 14, 2013 02:34AM
Keith,

When I had a G2, the Ground Phase numbers were 48 - 50 here at my house, but in the black organic type soil it could go as high as 62 - 65 depending where I was.

I did find an interesting read about the GM Power by Norfolk Wolf.

[www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk]

Ron
December 14, 2013 03:42AM
Hey Ron...yes you have some mild soil....

If I was you I would stay around 11 oclock...I try alway's to be there..sometimes if I want a tad more depth I nudge to 10:30 but not in iron..in iron I stay around 11 or so...

the GMP act weird on low ground Bal.. and it does loose its niche as Norfolk Also expresses ..

If you have that great dirt power bal does not really do you any worth anyways..so keep it in the middle or slightly left again 11:00...

Seems the tones and recovery and such works best between say 10:30 and 1:30 stay inside that window....And as you can see why with your ferrite balance..

Rest assured you have the premier iron unmasker available at the MOMENT...

Keith
December 15, 2013 02:38AM
Ron..... your Grnd Bal results are typical for low mineralization dirt.
December 19, 2013 08:30PM
Keith, what do you mean by a low ground balance? Into the Red or into the White area?
December 20, 2013 03:38PM
White area... Accept...

A ground bal is like a disc circuit.. the lower you run it the more you ACCEPT....

Keith
December 20, 2013 07:09PM
Quote from Keith; A ground bal is like a disc circuit.. the lower you run it the more you ACCEPT....

Keith, that's the best way to describe ground balancing...plain and simple.
Possible coil problem
January 02, 2014 04:18AM
For the ones that has the Gold Maxx Power, does your machine false (beep) when the coil wire is wiggled, on the strain relief, where it attaches to the control box?
January 02, 2014 04:22AM
Ron my 9 inch coil does not...The 5x10 I have on loan does...I noticed it the first day I used it..very annoying in tall brush...

I am suspecting hipmount fault's...the braid may be broken at this spot since it takes the most flex...

Keith
January 02, 2014 04:35AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ron my 9 inch coil does not...The 5x10 I have on
> loan does...I noticed it the first day I used
> it..very annoying in tall brush...
>
> I am suspecting hipmount fault's...the braid may
> be broken at this spot since it takes the most
> flex...
>
> Keith

It doesn't appear to impede the performance of the machine. I have a Velcro strap attached to the coil wire and just back from the handle on the Deus style rod assembly and it doesn't move. Just curious if this was normal.
January 02, 2014 04:41AM
I just found the same thing that's happening to mine on youtube. Mine isn't as bad as the one in the video.

[www.youtube.com]
January 02, 2014 04:49AM
It may be the coil plugin fitting and wiring at fault.

Solution may include changing the coil or maybe get a new fitting and rewire the coil cable.

Alternatively you can add something between cable and stem and tape these together and leaves these as it is.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 05:02AM by wolfau.
January 02, 2014 09:10AM
Ron, the hotter you run the GMP (Ground Balance into the White and the higher the Sens) the more likely it is to make contact noises at the control box. Both of mine do this and I talked to the dealer here in Germany and he told me that. You can use the velcro trick or try to press the coil plug into the control box (BY HAND) pretty hard then tighten it as hard as you can (AGAIN ONLY BY HAND).
January 27, 2014 04:35PM
ron-c Wrote:

>For the ones that has the Gold Maxx Power, does
> your machine false (beep) when the coil wire is wiggled,
>on the strain relief, where it attaches to the control box?

Keith Southern Wrote:
> Ron my 9 inch coil does not...The 5x10 I have on
> loan does...I noticed it the first day I used
> it..very annoying in tall brush...
>
> I am suspecting hipmount fault's...the braid may
> be broken at this spot since it takes the most
> flex...
>
> Keith

goldmanjace Wrote:
> Ron, the hotter you run the GMP (Ground Balance
> into the White and the higher the Sens) the more
> likely it is to make contact noises at the control
> box. Both of mine do this and I talked to the
> dealer here in Germany and he told me that. You
> can use the velcro trick or try to press the coil
> plug into the control box (BY HAND) pretty hard
> then tighten it as hard as you can (AGAIN ONLY BY
> HAND).

I was at a field that had been disc, there was still some stubble from the crops and dirt clods. If I bumped the coil on these, it would high tone false. I could lightly bump the coil with my hand or on my foot and it will false with the Sensitivity at Preset or higher with Ground Control at the 11 0'clock position. I can raise the coil 12 to 18" off the ground and tap on the coil and it will not false. Turning the Sensitivity to about the 1 to 2 o'clock position and the bump falsing would stop.

Does anyone else encounter this?
January 28, 2014 02:09PM
you may have a problem with the coil. Is there anyone that can lend you a coil to see if it works on your unit? I would loan you mine but I live in Germany.
January 28, 2014 03:17PM
Anyone had tested the big 14x12" xp coil for GMP?
January 28, 2014 03:29PM
Hey Ron does the coil stop fasling on the twigs and stubble clods and such if you move the Ground bal to 12 oclock or higher.?

certain dirts and the like will cause it to false if its running to negative.Thats why it does it on the ground but not in the air...

When your running this type machine what needs to be understood is the Ground is cricical and can be problematic from what you may be used to...

What your doing in actuality is Power Balancing the unit constantly..

the american counterparts usually that gorund bal have a all metal threshold based mode to aid it balancing by pumping the coil up and down and getting the treshold to not change as you well know...but what you may not know is when you flip to disc mode at times on models theres a bit of an offset that takes place to make it a little more positve and this takes care of alot fo the coil falsing...

Well the GMP the DTVG and other's do not have a threshold based all metal modeand to be truthful if you are not used to grond balancing in disc mode it may not be set right and you dont notice it..

I have alwasy balanced any machine that has manual ground balance by utilizing the disc mode for the purpose insead of the all metal mode that they tell you to do it in....I dont liek the offset and I like to run HOT as I can...

And after years and years of doing the POWER balancing the scenario you descibe is because of the ground being set too low for your dirt 90% of the time..

Keith

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2014 03:41PM by Keith Southern.
January 28, 2014 04:34PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Hey Ron does the coil stop fasling on the twigs
> and stubble clods and such if you move the Ground
> bal to 12 oclock or higher.?
>
> certain dirts and the like will cause it to false
> if its running to negative.Thats why it does it on
> the ground but not in the air...
>
> When your running this type machine what needs to
> be understood is the Ground is cricical and can be
> problematic from what you may be used to...
>
> What your doing in actuality is Power Balancing
> the unit constantly..
>
> the american counterparts usually that gorund bal
> have a all metal threshold based mode to aid it
> balancing by pumping the coil up and down and
> getting the treshold to not change as you well
> know...but what you may not know is when you flip
> to disc mode at times on models theres a bit of an
> offset that takes place to make it a little more
> positve and this takes care of alot fo the coil
> falsing...
>
> Well the GMP the DTVG and other's do not have a
> threshold based all metal modeand to be truthful
> if you are not used to grond balancing in disc
> mode it may not be set right and you dont notice
> it..
>
> I have alwasy balanced any machine that has
> manual ground balance by utilizing the disc mode
> for the purpose insead of the all metal mode that
> they tell you to do it in....I dont liek the
> offset and I like to run HOT as I can...
>
> And after years and years of doing the POWER
> balancing the scenario you descibe is because of
> the ground being set too low for your dirt 90% of
> the time..
>
> Keith
>
>
>
> Keith

When all else fails, consult the manual. lol

I just check the manual this morning and it has listed what I am experiencing, and says to turn the Ground Control to the right until the falsing stops and the Sensitivity may have to be reduce as well. The White's and Tesoro units I have, do as you say, they are too postiive when GBing in AM mode with a threshold when switched to Disc. mode and it's best to Power Balance in Disc. mode.

As soon as it warms up some, I'm going to check this out. The main reason for asking the question was because of the falsing I get when moving the coil wire at the control box and I was wondering if the coil had problems. If so, and since it's still under warranty, I could send the coil back to be checked out.

I received my NEL 5" Sharp coil yesterday and it doesn't have the problem of falsing when moving the coil wire at the control box.

Thanks,

Ron
January 29, 2014 02:43AM
Hey Ron....

I have the 9 inch coil on my GMP and it does not fasle at the box by jiggling or wiggling the wire..

the 5 NEL does not do this...

the XP 5x10 does it bad....

I wonder if its a broken shield wire ...from hip mount.. the 5x10 was used and could of been used in a hipmount scenario...

Im not sure about that Ron?

Keith
January 29, 2014 05:05PM
ron_c Wrote:

> As soon as it warms up some, I'm going to check
> this out. The main reason for asking the question
> was because of the falsing I get when moving the
> coil wire at the control box and I was wondering
> if the coil had problems. If so, and since it's
> still under warranty, I could send the coil back
> to be checked out.

Well, this is interesting, I looked at the warranty, as the unit is only 5 months old, and it states:

"This warranty (parts and labour) does not cover:
cable breakage of the search coil or one of it's conductors"
January 31, 2014 09:12PM
So now I don't know which to buy theF75 or the GMP, don't suppose both would be a good idea!
February 01, 2014 12:41AM
2 completely different unit's...according on what you want to do is the key..

The GMP is a site machine first and foremost that can double as an old coin hunter with the 3rd tone...Wiht the understanding that its still a dig all but certian size iron for the msot part...

the F75 is a Visual I.D. notch,multi tone,full disc,ergonomic,multi use machine..

I ran into this wiht the Deeptech Vista Gold...people bought them and then they found out about limited disc though it was well explained...And were not happy with them in the local park or even more modern trash site's...I got quite a few emails on what to do about aluminum ...How to I.D. it and things like that...So bare in mind that the GMP is a site machine that can at times double as an old coins unit with the right frame of mind...

Alot of people seem intersted in the GMP lately.. and that's great...but please use it it in the right site's...

its not the same as say having a G2 set to reject just nail's...no its quite different in the NOISE level....but thats what makes it so good at unmasking...but its more of a specialty machine than a full blown multi purpose or even dual purpose..

Keith
February 01, 2014 08:55AM
Keith
You are right I will just stick with the F75SE, always on the look out for something to compliment it though. I would like the CZ-3D for the wet sand but they do not seem to do them in UK.
Also wouldn't mind a back up for general hunting that was different to F75, say a Goldbug DP.

Cheers
Dave
February 01, 2014 06:55PM
Hey Dave if you already have a F75 s.e. then the GMP would make a great accesory unit to have.

If you keep the F75.s.e. though...dont sell the F75 and get a GMP as your only unit...unless you never leave ancient irony habitation sites...but if you keep a f75 then the GMP is a great add on for the harder to get targets that are intermingled in IRON once yuo have hunted it hard wiht the 75...

Use it as a tool...like any machine...choose the ones that wil benefit you the most... not me or your hunting partner but YOU.

I see it alot.. the wrong tool for the job,,,, or the right tool for the job,,,,, but not being used right...

Be detector wise...!!!

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2014 11:17PM by Keith Southern.
February 01, 2014 07:32PM
Keith, is the GMP a world away from the f75ltd (w/ 5"coil), at unmasking? I would certainly take your word on it but I wouldn't mind seeing a head to head myself. If so, I may maneuver a way to purchase one.
February 01, 2014 11:26PM
Ozzie the GMP can see stuff in iron wit a 9 inch coil the 5 inch cant see...but then the F75 with 5 inch coil boosted can see stuff att depth in iron the 9 inch coil cant...

But yes the GMP will find targets the F75/T2 cant find...and the opposite can happen...But the GMP is the real deal when working thorugh iron ...it swhere its at home its in its DNA....

Will you take it to your spots you've already hunted hard with your f75 and make more finds..?? Yes!

Could you hunt a site hard wiht the GMP and then one day buy a F75 and go to the same spot and hunt the iron and find target's?? Yes probably..

But the GMP once the ausio is sunk in can do alot more as a TOOL on the iron site...like slecetive iron implement digging...bigger than nail iron removal...etc...

the GMP is geared for strictly getting the most non ferrous out of a ferrous site and thats it...the thicker the iron gets the more advantage you will see with the GMP..

and the new 5 " NEL can add even more to the hunt...when used when needed..

Keith
February 02, 2014 01:08PM
Thanks Keith. So the ultimate un-masker in iron abundant sites is the GMP with the 5" NEL. How about a old site that has high iron ....and....modern trash mixed in? I run across these types of sites, especially an old house that has been updated over the years, and occupied.
February 02, 2014 11:16PM
Thanks Keith, all makes sense.
Dave