Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XP DEUS - Real World field-test

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
XP DEUS - Real World field-test
April 09, 2012 10:45PM
This is the most technologically ergonomically innovative design platform...... to-date. KUDO'S to the French Chief Design Engineer(s) for such out-of-the-box thinking. Exceptionally lightweight with a superb electronic featureset that has been executed in a well orchestrated fashion. I surmise the next step will be a 'virtual' coil.

Real-world performance: Virtually identical to the XP GMP (Gold Maxx Power). Electronic featureset available tools are easy to learn....... and quite intuitive.

Running this unit behind the XP GMP......... and the unit will find very few targets the GMP missed. Both units will find identical targets.

Both units are nearly identical in performance to micro-jewelry. DEUS needs to have Reactivity set at '2' or (prefer) less....... to have micro-jewelry rating.

Never once could I see any added benefit (added gain/depth) to increasing Transmit power to max (setting of '3'). Reactivity settings had a dramatic effect for depth performance................. as did very low/no discrimination. Reactivity settings of '0' or '1' gave max depth capabilities.

The critical iron Disc range for carpets of nails (with site-specific decomposition status) spanned from 2.4 - 6.6.

Higher Sens settings in carpets of nails........... once again........... presented better audible resolution of non-ferrous targets.

The 4-Khz frequency option........ did not provide any appreciable depth gain on high-conductor silver coins........ over any of the other frequencies. The 18-Khz range with Reactivity of '1' or '0' (and low Disc) provided the clearest ID/resolution of real-dirt burried silver coins.

In carpets of nails........... changing the Reactivity settings........... up to.......... and including '5'......... provided no additional unmasking capabilities. In theory, the principle seems sound/valid; yet, in the real-world....... the end-resultant dictated no additional gain. I surmise/speculate....... once the coil has 'saturated' too many targets within the field-intensity footprint of the coil......... no additional gain can/could be realized.

I have yet to understand why this complete unit has two redundant detectors. One being the headphones...... and the other being the control-head. Both perform nearly the exact same functions.

For some reason.......... I (very slightly) prefer the analog GMP over the DEUS. Seems to me the GMP is more audibly 'certain' of targets. I do believe that a elliptical DD coil on either detector would present a formidable (usable) enhanced adjacent target separation 'gain' over the existing concentric DD coil........ in carpets of nails. A little more testing............ and I must return these detectors to their rightful owners.

(((Out of time)))

Tom
Re: XP DEUS - Real World field-test
April 10, 2012 12:38AM
An awesome report.
April 10, 2012 04:37AM
Cool report Tom. And a big thanks to the Deus owner for lending it to you.
April 10, 2012 07:22AM
Good report Tom!!

I too find the GMP to have a slighlty better Audio....seem's more blendable..I think the DEUS tones sort of chop together a little compared to the GMP's analog system...But if a person did not have a GMP there would be no performnce loss...

Today my Buddy and I burried a clad modern Quarter in the wood's at a measured 15 inches on clean ground......he had the f75ltd with 11" bi axial...I used the DEUS.....

The only freq that would hit the Quarter was 4Khz but the reactivity had to be on zero..1 would chop 2 was gone....but the zero 4 khz 99 sens gave a smooth repeatable signal both way's on the 15 inch quarter.....

The F75 ltd was tested on 99 boost...Not even a iron grunt....then the cache mode still no iron grunt...all metal threshold would waiver on it but faint and spotty..

ground was 85 with 1 fe bar.

Interesting to see what freq changing can do...No other freq would hit the ultra deep quarter...

Thanks for the field testing...

Keith
April 10, 2012 10:39AM
Interesting how different dirt conditions can give such differing results.
April 10, 2012 12:55PM
Tom related to: Interesting how different dirt conditions can give such differing results.

Guess thats why we should add in my neck of the woods mentally to any test we read as indeed what works for you in Ca make not work in Pa and vice versa.

Thanks for the input guys and keep the info coming.....never can know too much in this hobby rel it be one particuliar unit or perhaps a facet of the hobby in general...
April 10, 2012 01:05PM
Did 4kHz (Deus) vs 13kHz (F75) on the quarter have a part in it as well as the dirt conditions and design of the coils ?

One of the cool things about the Deus ( which may prompt me to purchase one at some point) is the ability to change operating frequencies. I always like that about the DFX. You can run dual, or single with the 2 frequencies it has.

If they ever make a new coil and have a software update for the Deus where you can mold single frequencies together and run at multiple, that would be something !
April 10, 2012 02:06PM
Outstanding Report, thanks Tom and thanks to the people who lent the units to you.
April 10, 2012 06:31PM
Nice report and just to add something - in Europe you can buy a Deus for 20% less (300 Euro of 1500 price) by getting it without the wireless headphones. I don't like the open nature of the phones so would not get the headphones, or I'd get some closed phones modded by a guy in the UK. Hopefully, with some asking, they will offer the Deus in the states w/out the phones as well.

Interesting that the GMP is a semi analog version of the Deus - would love that with a meter.
April 10, 2012 06:37PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice report and just to add something - in Europe
> you can buy a Deus for 20% less (300 Euro of 1500
> price) by getting it without the wireless
> headphones. I don't like the open nature of the
> phones so would not get the headphones, or I'd get
> some closed phones modded by a guy in the UK.
> Hopefully, with some asking, they will offer the
> Deus in the states w/out the phones as well.
>
> Interesting that the GMP is a semi analog version
> of the Deus - would love that with a meter.

I think you' ll find its with the headphones and not the control box ,its called the Deus lite over here.
April 10, 2012 06:47PM
very good report but of course we want more info....how does it stack-up to the F75 and of course I am sure you will be testing it more and trying new programs. On the Deus web sight they have how recover works and show a photo of iron sitting very close to a ring that is a bit deeper. They say to get a good hit you have to have the recovery at about 3 or faster? What is recovery one on the Deus compaired to the G2 or F75? and what software updates could they do to improve this mahine with a internet upload? It is great to know Tom that we have such faith in you to have someone hook you up with a detector so we can learn from the best!!!!

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 10, 2012 08:51PM
dazmond66 Wrote:
> earthmansurfer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice report and just to add something - in
> Europe
> > you can buy a Deus for 20% less (300 Euro of
> 1500
> > price) by getting it without the wireless
> > headphones. I don't like the open nature of the
> > phones so would not get the headphones, or I'd
> get
> > some closed phones modded by a guy in the UK.
> > Hopefully, with some asking, they will offer
> the
> > Deus in the states w/out the phones as well.
> >
> > Interesting that the GMP is a semi analog
> version
> > of the Deus - would love that with a meter.
>
> I think you' ll find its with the headphones and
> not the control box ,its called the Deus lite over
> here.

No, I'm aware of the lite version as well. I mean exactly what I described. In German, but just to see. [www.abenteuer-schatzsuche.de] The lite is another 300 less, but I want that digital readout where I can see it! Eheh
April 10, 2012 09:41PM
Thanks for the report Tom.

Since the DEUS hasnt a coil to compare in size, (yet) to the F-75 SE 5" coil, we'll have to wait till XP comes out with one to know how both machines (really) compare in the heavy carpet iron?
April 10, 2012 10:50PM
Interesting....so the question I have now, is since you've tested both machines....and found them very comparable to one another...would it be more beneficial to buy a Gold Maxx since it has several different sizes of aftermarket coils available for it, that don't cost $500+?
April 10, 2012 10:59PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Interesting....so the question I have now, is
> since you've tested both machines....and found
> them very comparable to one another...would it be
> more beneficial to buy a Gold Maxx since it has
> several different sizes of aftermarket coils
> available for it, that don't cost $500+?

The Goldmaxx Power is not available in the USA. It has not been approved by the FCC because of the wireless headphones that are available for the unit.

Tom in SC
April 11, 2012 01:24AM
Real-world and dirt "feel".............. the T2/F70/F75/F75SE/G2/GB-SE....... I would rate a 'Reactivity' rating of:

10" elliptical concentric coil = 1.3
11" elliptical DD coil = 2.3
5" concentric DD coil = 4.0

BUT............ you must understand.......... the specific 'uniqueness' of each coils footprint imposes pro's & con's.
A slight edge goes to the F75SE for depth....... but rather minute'. If I lived in Europe........ I would opt for the XP Gold Maxx Power......... simply for warranty and pricing advantages.............. as both units are superior RELIC units.

I too........... question the headphones. I prefer to block out the outside ambient noise with headphones that go over the ears ... vs ... riding on the ears. Also.............. in tropical Florida............... there may not be a cloud in the sky............... then.............. a sudden heavy micro-burst of hard rain for a few seconds............... and I would 'question' the status of those expensive headphones.

Regardless of price............ I would still opt for the GMP over the DEUS............ just barely. I know the DEUS has a superior featureset; yet, the GMP feels ever-so-slightly 'more capable'. And yes, I would be HIGHLY interested in testing the GMP with a different coil...... for many reasons.

BEACH REPORT TO FOLLOW
April 11, 2012 02:39AM
WET SALT BEACH HUNT

In a nutshell........... The DEUS is not a wet salt beach hunter.

But......... With settings optimized..... the unit will detect a dime to 8" .... and a nickel to 8". This is a KUDO'S again........ as most single frequency detectors will not perform to this level in wet salt..... with a low conductor nickel... and a high conductor dime.

What caught me off guard was............ I speculated the unit would Grnd Bal near a '0' setting...... like all other single freq units. On the contrary.... the unit Grnd balanced at '28' in the wet salt. I have (now) learned that a Grnd Bal of '0' is minimum 'salt' value. A Grnd Bal of '30' is maximum salt saturation.

In order to detect the 8" nickel and 8" dime.......... I needed to deviate from factory settings...... and factory 'recommended' settings. In my application...... I could 'get away' with a Reactivity of '1'....... and a Disc of '2'...... with a Transmit power setting of '2',,, although there was (once again) no appreciable performance gain between Transmit power '1' vs '2'. One interesting note was the fact that Sensitivity settings were exceptionally critical. Substantial performance loss ensued when Sens was dropped below '80'.

*** Of noteworthy interest.......... the clad dime resting on the surface of the wet sand would ID as a '91'. At a buried depth of 4"....... the clad dime would ID in the 70's. At 8" depth....... the clad dime would ID as a '27'. --- Almost the same results with the nickel. Beware!

On the wet salt beach........ with a Reactivity setting of '4' or '5'.......... audio reports of targets were soo short....... that the headphones would report a audio response just slightly longer than a 'tick' or 'click' on a coin sized target......... even with a moderate coil sweep-speed.

When optimal settings (for my specific application/location/conditions) were employed......... the unit was reasonably 'audibly stable'....... but if the wet sand had washboard/ridges.... or you bumped a pebble..... the detector would audibly report.

My wifes engagement ring could be detected in the wet salt to 4" with the DEUS............ 5-1/2" with a CZ or Excal....... (and 11" with AquaStar-II).

*** The DEUS is not a micro-jewelry hunter whilst in wet salt environment.

The headphones were insufficient for a beach environment........ as the mild crashing waves and moderate wind.... would nearly overpower the audio output of the headphones.

Keep in mind........... the DEUS is NOT specifically designed for wet salt hunting.

*** = Edits

Tom

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2012 02:37PM by NASA-Tom.
April 11, 2012 03:07AM
Tom you are a "living treasure" of the the worldwide detecting community ,incredible info as usual
April 11, 2012 03:29AM
Hmmm...I imagine most people wouldn't buy it for salt use anyway however, I wonder how it would do in fresh shallow water wading with the antennae hooked to the coil?
I would think the factory headphones would really be useful then.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2012 03:31AM by Aaron.
April 11, 2012 04:30AM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
> dazmond66 Wrote:
> -----
> > earthmansurfer Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Nice report and just to add something - in
> > Europe
> > > you can buy a Deus for 20% less (300 Euro of
> > 1500
> > > price) by getting it without the wireless
> > > headphones. I don't like the open nature of
> the
> > > phones so would not get the headphones, or
> I'd
> > get
> > > some closed phones modded by a guy in the UK.
> > > Hopefully, with some asking, they will offer
> > the
> > > Deus in the states w/out the phones as well.
> > >
> > > Interesting that the GMP is a semi analog
> > version
> > > of the Deus - would love that with a meter.
> >
> > I think you' ll find its with the headphones
> and
> > not the control box ,its called the Deus lite
> over
> > here.
>
> No, I'm aware of the lite version as well. I mean
> exactly what I described. In German, but just to
> see.
> [www.abenteuer-schatzsuche.de]
> XP-DEUS-V2-0-ohne-Funkkopfhoerer::586.html The
> lite is another 300 less, but I want that digital
> readout where I can see it! Eheh

Yes i realized there must of been another option available with the price difference ,after id posted ,lol.
April 11, 2012 04:44AM
I believe the DEUS headphones are water resistant.

NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Real-world and dirt "feel".............. the
> T2/F70/F75/F75SE/G2/GB-SE....... I would rate a
> 'Reactivity' rating of:
>
> 10" elliptical concentric coil = 1.3
> 11" elliptical DD coil = 2.3
> 5" concentric DD coil = 4.0
>
> BUT............ you must understand.......... the
> specific 'uniqueness' of each coils footprint
> imposes pro's & con's.
> A slight edge goes to the F75SE for depth.......
> but rather minute'. If I lived in Europe........ I
> would opt for the XP Gold Maxx Power.........
> simply for warranty and pricing
> advantages.............. as both units are
> superior RELIC units.
>
> I too........... question the headphones. I prefer
> to block out the outside ambient noise with
> headphones that go over the ears ... vs ... riding
> on the ears. Also.............. in tropical
> Florida............... there may not be a cloud in
> the sky............... then.............. a sudden
> heavy micro-burst of hard rain for a few
> seconds............... and I would 'question' the
> status of those expensive headphones.
>
> Regardless of price............ I would still opt
> for the GMP over the DEUS............ just barely.
> I know the DEUS has a superior featureset; yet,
> the GMP feels ever-so-slightly 'more capable'. And
> yes, I would be HIGHLY interested in testing the
> GMP with a different coil...... for many reasons.
>
> BEACH REPORT TO FOLLOW
April 11, 2012 12:49PM
Detectorist Wrote:
> I believe the DEUS headphones are water
> resistant.

Maybe they are, maybe they are not and i sure would not bet on it and detect with them in the rain, without some kind of rain protection.
April 11, 2012 01:44PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> WET SALT BEACH HUNT

> Keep in mind........... the DEUS is NOT
> specifically designed for wet salt hunting.
>
> Tom

Thank you so very much Tom. All of my questions on the Deus have been answered now.
Your review is deeply appreciated.
April 11, 2012 07:59PM
Regarding the waterproof-or-not headphones, a method used in the UK to protect them from rain is simple. Put your coat hood up. The 'phones are sufficiently slimline they easily fit under.
April 11, 2012 08:30PM
I just asked about the the beach on another thread. You gave a very nice beach report Tom. I have the Deus and I really wasn't going to wet sand hunt with it anyways. But at least I know now to leave it at home when I go to the beach. Thank You for the effort. I think the GMP has really caught your attention though. That's great. Finally a worthy contendor.
April 11, 2012 10:41PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Good report Tom!!
>
> I too find the GMP to have a slighlty better
> Audio....seem's more blendable..I think the DEUS
> tones sort of chop together a little compared to
> the GMP's analog system...But if a person did not
> have a GMP there would be no performnce loss...
>
> Today my Buddy and I burried a clad modern Quarter
> in the wood's at a measured 15 inches on clean
> ground......he had the f75ltd with 11" bi
> axial...I used the DEUS.....
>
> The only freq that would hit the Quarter was 4Khz
> but the reactivity had to be on zero..1 would
> chop 2 was gone....but the zero 4 khz 99 sens gave
> a smooth repeatable signal both way's on the 15
> inch quarter.....
>
> The F75 ltd was tested on 99 boost...Not even a
> iron grunt....then the cache mode still no iron
> grunt...all metal threshold would waiver on it but
> faint and spotty..
>
> ground was 85 with 1 fe bar.
>
> Interesting to see what freq changing can do...No
> other freq would hit the ultra deep quarter...
>
>
> Thanks for the field testing...
>
> Keith

Keith, what were the Disc and tone(s) settings you ran on the 2 machines.... what TX setting did you have on the Deus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2012 11:18PM by silversurfer.
April 12, 2012 12:10AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Real-world and dirt "feel".............. the
> T2/F70/F75/F75SE/G2/GB-SE....... I would rate a
> 'Reactivity' rating of:
>
> 10" elliptical concentric coil = 1.3
> 11" elliptical DD coil = 2.3
> 5" concentric DD coil = 4.0

Tom, is it your finding that the G2/GBSE has the same recovery speed as the F75/70/T2, w/similar coils ?
April 12, 2012 02:17AM
The frequency of the G2/GB-SE gives the illusion of a slightly 'faster' recovery speed; yet, I believe the clock-speed is the same (coil-for-coil); hence, my report/findings. Also................ adjustable tone-break is quite beneficial (and possibly illusionary).
April 12, 2012 02:25AM
Hey Silversurfer...The F75LTD was checked 2 tone 6 disc and and 1 tone 6 disc...boost mode...

The DEUS was 3 tone disc 5.6 transmit 1.

did another test today with the DEUS on in ground target's against f75ltd...

8 inch 3 ringer real world target was checked on DEUS in all freq and reactivity and would of swore it was iron..F75 hard clean high tone .Ground was 80 no fe bar's...

burried quarter in the same ground 10 inches DEUS would hit it on 4Khz 6 disc 3 tone 0 reactivity very smooth signal F75 LTD boost 99 2 tone iron grunt high tone ..

Deus seems to like disturbed ground better than undisturbed...

I will be as honest as I can be in my finding's.....The DEUS is not as deep as the T2 or F75 boost process mode's in real world Target's...

I can not get it to get real deep depth in the setting's I am using so far...

Keith
April 12, 2012 02:49AM
MY GUT (speculation)

I truly believe the DEUS platform, coil and other parameters are designed around the 18-Khz frequency. This is 'primary' frequency. Then.......... other frequencies that would (secondarily) work around the existing 18-Khz coil/platform......... were added.

I say this because............ there should be a bit greater performance delta/differential with/between the other frequencies.

Said differently: If the DEUS were designed as a 4-Khz detector, coil and electronics............................. then ................................... a few other frequency options (8-Khz, 12-Khz, 18-Khz) were added... that would secondarily work with that 4-Khz coil................. you may see the unit perform a bit better with the 4-Khz frequency (and............... subsequently............. the same "less delta/differential" with/between the other frequencies). I believe the unit would then become 'deeper' on high-conductor silver & copper coins.

Just a passing thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 12:53PM by NASA-Tom.